Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: I've found my old He-Man toys but I need help restoring them

  1. #1
    Widget
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    10

    I've found my old He-Man toys but I need help restoring them

    My father was cleaning out his old storage unit when, after 27 years, he found my old He-Man toys. They are in rough shape and I'm wondering what the best course of action is. Which brought me to this wonderful website. I was directed to this sub-forum after I introduced myself seeing I have a couple of questions:

    Can you repair these? It's primarily the legs that are twisted too much and one guy seems to missing a part of his arm.
    I've lost all accessories, are those easily replaceable?
    Does the effort and cost make sense seeing how Mattel is planning to release the Origin line next year?
    I also have the castle, but none of the accessories and the bridge is damaged. The castle would be my primary focus to restore. Is that possible?

    Anyway, below you'll find some pictures. I don't even know who everyone is. What you see is what I have. Also, I'm new to all of this so I'm not familiar with everything that's going on in the He-Man community. Thanks in advance!










  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior Iluvart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    331
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

    I no longer have my MOTU vintage figures, but I did a quick internet search and perhaps these videos may be helpful:

    Fixing broken legs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMc6Y7Mrpss
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk2jOe50VTw

    Castle Grayskull restoration
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTDNMRH-SOU

    Good luck!

  3. #3
    Widget
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvart View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

    I no longer have my MOTU vintage figures, but I did a quick internet search and perhaps these videos may be helpful:

    Fixing broken legs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMc6Y7Mrpss
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk2jOe50VTw

    Castle Grayskull restoration
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTDNMRH-SOU

    Good luck!
    Thank you. That certainly helps. Also, good to know I can buy the stickers of the castle again. I was also hoping that there was a way to get the spare parts easily but it looks like you are at the mercy of Ebay and with those prices, it's not worth it. Sometimes you can buy replicas for stuff like this, but I haven't found that for He-Man yet.

  4. #4
    King Of Avalon griffen112182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Virginia, United States of America, but mostly in the Hidden Land of Avalon
    Posts
    904
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprony View Post
    Thank you. That certainly helps. Also, good to know I can buy the stickers of the castle again. I was also hoping that there was a way to get the spare parts easily but it looks like you are at the mercy of Ebay and with those prices, it's not worth it. Sometimes you can buy replicas for stuff like this, but I haven't found that for He-Man yet.
    Try Barbarossa customs on eBay. He makes pretty good quality replicas of some of the parts. There are also some sellers on eBay that sell replacement rubber bands for the figures. The only other recommendation is buying job/junk lots so you can get some replacement parts and have pieces to trade with other collectors.

    Also try Amazon, though that one is not as great for finding pieces. Try local comic shops, most have parts bins and sell junker figures.

    The org home site for the forums here has a great picture database of all the parts and stickers so have that on hand when you look.

    Also the wolf figure and the guy in the silver helmet with the robot arm are not MOTU figures. Not sure what line they are from but some people pay good money for some of the "not MOTU" figures.
    Griffen Is not My real name, just what I aspire to be.

    I collect MOTU/POP, Transformers, Garfield the Cat, & 80's/90's Book & Tape/Record Sets. I collect VHS & DVD of 80's-00's properties and comics. My YouTube Channel titled: Feb Mon
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCr-M2kh33ALM2nEzcKZKNKQ

    Mostly Playlists & used for commenting on videos. Still, Check it out if you have time.

  5. #5
    Widget
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by griffen112182 View Post
    Try Barbarossa customs on eBay. He makes pretty good quality replicas of some of the parts. There are also some sellers on eBay that sell replacement rubber bands for the figures. The only other recommendation is buying job/junk lots so you can get some replacement parts and have pieces to trade with other collectors.

    Also try Amazon, though that one is not as great for finding pieces. Try local comic shops, most have parts bins and sell junker figures.

    The org home site for the forums here has a great picture database of all the parts and stickers so have that on hand when you look.

    Also the wolf figure and the guy in the silver helmet with the robot arm are not MOTU figures. Not sure what line they are from but some people pay good money for some of the "not MOTU" figures.
    That's great advice, thank you. I've send Barbarossa a message on Ebay. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of comic shops in the Netherlands. I'll try and visit some second hand markets and see if I can score some stuff there. I'm currently checking out the database to find everything. Again thanks for the help.

    BTW, I checked the wolf figure and the guy with the robot arm but there's nothing on them to hint to their origins.

  6. #6
    King Of Avalon griffen112182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Virginia, United States of America, but mostly in the Hidden Land of Avalon
    Posts
    904
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprony View Post
    That's great advice, thank you. I've send Barbarossa a message on Ebay. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of comic shops in the Netherlands. I'll try and visit some second hand markets and see if I can score some stuff there. I'm currently checking out the database to find everything. Again thanks for the help.

    BTW, I checked the wolf figure and the guy with the robot arm but there's nothing on them to hint to their origins.
    For the 2 "not MOTU" figures try the "what is this toy thread" in the OTHER Forum. That may not be the exact title but it is close. Also try checking Google images and there are several Facebook groups and websites dedicated to off-brand figures. I can't think of any right now. The best expert on "not MOTU" figure is Pixal Dan, he collects all of the knock-off and similar style legit lines. I.e Remco, Warlord, etc. Also check YouTube as another possible source.


    As for the comic shop issue, well the phone book is still a thing. Call around for shops the next town(s) over. Most have Facebook or sell through 3rd party options or you can probably direct buy over the phone. If you really have to you can always drive and make a day of it. Make sure to check the shop ratings on the internet so you are meeting with a good seller and not the evil Scalp-Or, horrid master of scams.
    Last edited by griffen112182; November 18, 2019 at 11:37am.
    Griffen Is not My real name, just what I aspire to be.

    I collect MOTU/POP, Transformers, Garfield the Cat, & 80's/90's Book & Tape/Record Sets. I collect VHS & DVD of 80's-00's properties and comics. My YouTube Channel titled: Feb Mon
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCr-M2kh33ALM2nEzcKZKNKQ

    Mostly Playlists & used for commenting on videos. Still, Check it out if you have time.

  7. #7
    Widget
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by griffen112182 View Post
    For the 2 "not MOTU" figures try the "what is this toy thread" in the OTHER Forum. That may not be the exact title but it is close. Also try checking Google images and there are several Facebook groups and websites dedicated to off-brand figures. I can't think of any right now. The best expert on "not MOTU" figure is Pixal Dan, he collects all of the knock-off and similar style legit lines. I.e Remco, Warlord, etc. Also check YouTube as another possible source.


    As for the comic shop issue, well the phone book is still a thing. Call around for shops the next town(s) over. Most have Facebook or sell through 3rd party options or you can probably direct buy over the phone. If you really have to you can always drive and make a day of it. Make sure to check the shop ratings on the internet so you are meeting with a good seller and not the evil Scalp-Or, horrid master of scams.
    I've found the thread you're referring to and I'll make a post there later. I'll do some research in regard to the comic shops, but that's just not really a thing here in the Netherlands. We'll see what I can dig up though. Scalp-Or was a nice touch, made me chuckle

  8. #8
    King Of Avalon griffen112182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Virginia, United States of America, but mostly in the Hidden Land of Avalon
    Posts
    904
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprony View Post
    I've found the thread you're referring to and I'll make a post there later. I'll do some research in regard to the comic shops, but that's just not really a thing here in the Netherlands. We'll see what I can dig up though. Scalp-Or was a nice touch, made me chuckle
    Good to see you found out who the 2 mystery figures are. Interesting looks from the pics provided of the complete figures. Hopefully you can do something with them eventually.

    You may have seen that I made a Scalp-Or joke thread in the others forum. Your comments inspired me to make it and it already has a few hits.

    Hope you are having a Merry Christmas as well! See you around the forums my friend.
    Griffen Is not My real name, just what I aspire to be.

    I collect MOTU/POP, Transformers, Garfield the Cat, & 80's/90's Book & Tape/Record Sets. I collect VHS & DVD of 80's-00's properties and comics. My YouTube Channel titled: Feb Mon
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCr-M2kh33ALM2nEzcKZKNKQ

    Mostly Playlists & used for commenting on videos. Still, Check it out if you have time.

  9. #9
    Widget
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by griffen112182 View Post
    Good to see you found out who the 2 mystery figures are. Interesting looks from the pics provided of the complete figures. Hopefully you can do something with them eventually.

    You may have seen that I made a Scalp-Or joke thread in the others forum. Your comments inspired me to make it and it already has a few hits.

    Hope you are having a Merry Christmas as well! See you around the forums my friend.
    I just read it, some great but also weird stories in there

    I hope you have a good Christmas as well and a happy new year of course!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •