Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Multiverse #1 | Official Talkback thread (SPOILERS)

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    I don't really get the outrage about this. It's an unusual take on MOTU with the multiverse approach, but that's what makes it interesting. We should be thrilled that there's new media available that adds to the rich lore. It's been a while since the last comic series. I wish there was an ongoing one.
    For its not the unusual take that is the problem, its simply the comics in recent years have not been good or enjoyable to read.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    I don't really get the outrage about this. It's an unusual take on MOTU with the multiverse approach, but that's what makes it interesting. We should be thrilled that there's new media available that adds to the rich lore. It's been a while since the last comic series. I wish there was an ongoing one.
    At least this series has taken the risk, to not play safe this time, and do yet another crossover with another popular property, like they did in the most recent past, but actually go to explore one of the most obscure concepts of the MOTU mythos like the Anti-Eternia, from the German aucioplays. And in the meantime, the way i see it, this series works as a homage to celebrate all the past iterations of MOTU, even those less popular or well known, like the 1987's live action movie or the New Adventures. I don't think that we ever have the chance in the past, to bring for example Dolph"s He-Man, in the same story, with 200X King Hiss, or Alcala's Skeletor, while they are still part of their one original canon.
    Last edited by granamyr80; November 22, 2019 at 11:13am.

For me it feels like it was paced almost like a mini comic. It had like what, three splash pages? Like is was simultaneously rushed and full of filler. And the art, holy smokes the art. Freddie Williams this is not. For modern MOTU you have Axel, you have Freddie, and you have....this.

I’m extra disappointed because the last two crossover series were so fun to read. There was no fun in this. But yeah, I’m going to check out the next one, because there’s always room to improve.

Heroic Warrior
    There is a difference between toxic outrage and general dislike with constructive criticism. I haven't looked to see what the exact hubbub is about on Facebook or social media in general compared to past He-Man comic series criticism but overall it doesn't surprise me (you can't please everyone). If I had to guess, it's Star Wars and new She-Ra show blowback on a smaller scale. Unfortunately that's what happens when you're overly emotionally connected to something (feeling ownership is some way) and you're in a negative state of mind (sometimes due to other perceived things unrelated going wrong in your life). What you've wanted (or hyped yourself up about) does not match reality. I've been there myself in my past...not happy in a job while simultaneously going through a breakup with a fiancée so I emotionally doubled down on a video game development project (that I perceived at the time as the one big positive thing going right in my life). Huge blowup with the other creatives on the project and I was too blind to see my own foolishness at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by trap-grr View Post
    For its not the unusual take that is the problem, its simply the comics in recent years have not been good or enjoyable to read.

Eternity War was excellent. Dan Abnett is one of the best writers in the industry and he elevated that series to a class above all other MOTU comics.

Eternity War was excellent. Dan Abnett is one of the best writers in the industry and he elevated that series to a class above all other MOTU comics.
    I don't agree with that. Truth is I don't know who the writers or artists are I just know what I like and I didn't enjoy anything after eternity war. Eternity war was okay. MV creations were great and got me into comics. These stories don't compare to invincible or walking dead, those are great comics. I do know that they are the same writer Robert kirkman, maybe the only writer I know. Thanks

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Well technically if you read the script outline by Mattel's Rob David, he is the one behind Eternity War. In his text is basically all the settings and words already, before sent to Abnett.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Well technically if you read the script outline by Mattel's Rob David, he is the one behind Eternity War. In his text is basically all the settings and words already, before sent to Abnett.
    Dan Annett scripting was on point for me. Love Rob David behind the scenes with everything he does but his hands-on dialogue scripting for He-Man/ThunderCats was overly trite and fell flat for my taste

Widget
    I agree. Eternity War is the best MOTU comics until now.

Heroic Warrior
    I have a question from this issue.

We saw the He-Men and Keldor using the Cosmic Key, which follows the signal of Grayskull's Power through the Multiverse, in order to detect and stop Anti-Eternia He-Man, and so they transported at Starship Eternia which is one of the sources of Grayskull's Powers.I remember the concept of the transfer of Grayskull's power to the Starship Eternia, as a plot from the Classics, but also that it comes from the New Adventures mini comics too (in the animated series the Starship is just named Eternia, only for honour He-Man's birth planet, and doesn't have any connection with Grayskull). Does anyone remember which New Adventures mini comic has to do with this specific plot?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    I have a question from this issue.

We saw the He-Men and Keldor using the Cosmic Key, which follows the signal of Grayskull's Power through the Multiverse, in order to detect and stop Anti-Eternia He-Man, and so they transported at Starship Eternia which is one of the sources of Grayskull's Powers.I remember the concept of the transfer of Grayskull's power to the Starship Eternia, as a plot from the Classics, but also that it comes from the New Adventures mini comics too (in the animated series the Starship is just named Eternia, only for honour He-Man's birth planet, and doesn't have any connection with Grayskull). Does anyone remember which New Adventures mini comic has to do with this specific plot?
    It's the very first New Adventures minicomic (there were only 4 of them), where Adam was permanently transformed into He-Man. I can't remember what the title was though.

Heroic Warrior
    He-Man and the Masters of the Multiverse did a really good start with the sales! It was ranked 64th in November sales with 29.250 units!

Link:
    https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...9/2019-11.html

Hopefully will this mean more He-Man comics by DC.

He-Man and the Masters of the Multiverse did a really good start with the sales! It was ranked 64th in November sales with 29.250 units!

Link:

64th really doesn't sound great. I'm sure any MOTU comic while the show or movie are out will do much better.

Heroic Warrior
    64th really doesn't sound great. I'm sure any MOTU comic while the show or movie are out will do much better.
    You have to compare it sales numbers-wise to He-Man/ThunderCats #1 of 32,936 and Injustice vs Masters of the Universe #1 of 27,250. So about par for the course and in-between the last two He-Man comic series released in recent years. And yes, a comic simultaneous tie-in release alongside a movie and TV show should convince some others (viewers) to pick up the comic and increase the sales numbers in theory. These are all print sales numbers so you have to assume digital sales (which aren't publicly tracked) are still incrementing a bit each year to some extent in exchange for physical sales (but not the big jump when digital comics first went mainstream).

Heroic Warrior
    Having in mind, the bad time for the comic book sales in general, and the fact that it did better than the 1st issue of Injustice vs MOTU, especially considering that the current series, is not a crossover with another property, it's a good start. Surely it's not a triumph, just something cοnsistent.

Link:

Nice... hope sales be consistent.. we need more MOTU

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

I loved the art and was very impressed with it.
    So far its off to a good and interesting start.
    The only small issue I have is Tappers of Grayskull He-Man. He looks too out of place and I think he shouldnt have been included.
    They could have used a different version of He-Man like Filmation or 200X.
    The story to me is serious and thats what I like but tiny He-Man just doesn't fit in correctly in my opinion.
    I will still buy the other issues.
    Also He-Man Eternity War was perfection!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Xena & She-Ra Rule

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Xena-She-Ra View Post
    I loved the art and was very impressed with it.
    So far its off to a good and interesting start.
    The only small issue I have is Tappers of Grayskull He-Man. He looks too out of place and I think he shouldnt have been included.
    They could have used a different version of He-Man like Filmation or 200X.
    You need to wait for issue 3 - 200x
    And issue 4 - Filmation
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Heroic Warrior
    The plot isn't original- it's DC's The Kingdom. The MOTU comics suffers from trying to follow up each epic, multiverse shattering story with another. Fans won't buy small-scale stories anymore.

That said, I liked the beautiful art, although the panels were hard to follow.

Like all modern comics, they are written for trade paperback, so there's not much to judge issue-by-issue.

While I'm sort of over the killing and bloodshed in modern MOTU comics from DC, I did like this issue more than I thought I was going to going in (love the character designs, colors and just the feel of the art overall). Love seeing all of the different iterations of MOTU mixed up together like this and the storyline (while not entirely original, to say the least) in the context of Masters Of The Universe is intriguing enough to keep me on board for the whole series to see how it all plays out in the end (and where it ultimately leads to!).
    Also bonus points for making Keldor bi and into Red Beast... LOL!