Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44

Thread: Mega Construx Battle Cat and Merman Prototypes

  1. #1
    Widget
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    5

    Mega Construx Prototype Thread

    Hey guys! I joined the site a little while back but have not had a chance to participate as much as I would like until now. I am a life-long Masters fan who is also a Toy Designer on the Mega Construx team. I have worked on several lines over the years. Currently, I am part of the Halo and Masters of the Universe design team (and thrilled to be so, I may add).

    But enough about that, the Mega design team thought it would be fun to share some updates on the upcoming Roton vs Battle Cat set. It is slated to be released in the second half of 2020 and design work is progressing very well.
    (Pics of the SDCC display are here: https://www.megaconstrux.com/en-us/c...-vs-battle-cat)

    When the display was put together, it was very early in the design process. We basically knew what we wanted to include in the set but had not started any of the detailed development work. In other words, we built a prototype, painted it and set up the display. For Battle Cat, that meant starting with the frame of one of our horses and adding some custom sculpted parts. This gave the prototype the right size and amount of detail, but only limited articulation.

    We sat down as a team and figured out what kind of poses we wanted Battle Cat to be able to achieve while balancing other considerations (Like tooling, parts count and set budget). We decided on:

    1. Being able to stand on his rear feet. That means sleeves under his feet to snap onto bricks as well as a movable tail.
    2. Articulated front feet to be able to swat or claw at enemies.
    3. Articulated neck to be able to roar and recreate his iconic transformation sequence.
    4. Removable saddle and helmet.
    5. Lastly, ball-jointed legs and tail that are compatible with Breakout Beasts to increase customizing options.

    After a lot of design and sculpting work, we outputted some 3D printed parts and assembled them. The surface details are hard to make out because of the color of the resin.










    We also received test shots for the new parts for Merman. We were all looking forward to this one. New parts for him are his head, armor, sword and trident tip. His head will also be re-used for the upcoming Stinkor figure.





    There are a bunch more pics here: https://www.megaconstrux.com/en-us/c...hp?f=19&t=5281


    We received some test shots for some of Zodac's parts as well, but that will be for a future update

    Kevin_MCX
    Last edited by Kevin_MCX; Today at 09:03am.

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior aca1raven2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Earth 616
    Posts
    181
    Welcome aboard good sir! We cant wait to bombard you with questions as this wonderful line continues. LoL

    Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk
    I must possess all, or I possess nothing.

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    229
    Thanks for posting! The behind the scenes journey is just as much fun as the final product for many of us.

    Looking forward to seeing these on shelves!

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior OwenMorton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    251
    Thanks for sharing! Just want to add my voice to all those who are super-excited about this line and hope it has a long, long future!!
    Check out my Masters of the Universe cartoon review site at https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/!

  5. #5
    Court Magician trap-grr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kilmarnock, Scotland, UK
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_MCX View Post
    Hey guys! I joined the site a little while back but have not had a chance to participate as much as I would like until now. I am a life-long Masters fan who is also a Toy Designer on the Mega Construx team. I have worked on several lines over the years. Currently, I am part of the Halo and Masters of the Universe design team (and thrilled to be so, I may add).

    But enough about that, the Mega design team thought it would be fun to share some updates on the upcoming Roton vs Battle Cat set. It is slated to be released in the second half of 2020 and design work is progressing very well.
    (Pics of the SDCC display are here: https://www.megaconstrux.com/en-us/c...-vs-battle-cat)

    When the display was put together, it was very early in the design process. We basically knew what we wanted to include in the set but had not started any of the detailed development work. In other words, we built a prototype, painted it and set up the display. For Battle Cat, that meant starting with the frame of one of our horses and adding some custom sculpted parts. This gave the prototype the right size and amount of detail, but only limited articulation.

    We sat down as a team and figured out what kind of poses we wanted Battle Cat to be able to achieve while balancing other considerations (Like tooling, parts count and set budget). We decided on:

    1.Being able to stand on his rear feet. That means sleeves under his feet to snap onto bricks as well as a movable tail.
    2.Articulated front feet to be able to swat or claw at enemies.
    3.Articulated neck to be able to roar and recreate his iconic transformation sequence.
    4.Removable saddle and helmet.
    5.Lastly, ball-jointed legs and tail that are compatible with Breakout Beasts to increase customizing options.

    After a lot of design and sculpting work, we outputted some 3D printed parts and assembled them. The surface details are hard to make out because of the color of the resin.


    Attachment 121624Attachment 121625Attachment 121626Attachment 121627


    We also received test shots for the new parts for Merman. We were all looking forward to this one. New parts for him are his head, armor, sword and trident tip. His head will also be re-used for the upcoming Stinkor figure.


    Attachment 121628


    There are a bunch more pics here: https://www.megaconstrux.com/en-us/c...hp?f=19&t=5281


    We received some test shots for some of Zodac's parts as well, but that will be for a future update

    Kevin_MCX
    This is great, love it, no issues with the product at all. The big issue is where can we buy these in the UK? Castle Greyskull was on amazon but nothing else.

    Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior ersatz.kate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    145
    Woo hoo! I love these kind of things..prototypes, test-shots, development/behind-the-scenes stuff...all of it.

    Can't wait for Mer-Man, and then Stinkor of course.

  7. #7
    Court Magician trap-grr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kilmarnock, Scotland, UK
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenMorton View Post
    Thanks for sharing! Just want to add my voice to all those who are super-excited about this line and hope it has a long, long future!!
    Owen morton, you are from the UK? Where do you purchase masters mega construx from?

    Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior OwenMorton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by trap-grr View Post
    Owen morton, you are from the UK? Where do you purchase masters mega construx from?

    Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk
    I got the 5-pack Battle for Eternia set (He-Man, Skeletor, Teela, Beast-Man, Faker) and the Wind Raider from Entertainment Earth, who deliver to the UK but as I recall the customs fees were pretty high. Man-at-Arms and Evil-Lyn from eBay. Then Grayskull and Stratos and Scareglow from Amazon.com - you can order from there, but they won't always deliver to the UK, it tells you when you get to the checkout whether the seller delivers or not.

    So it's possible to get them here, but it would be much nicer if they would distribute them here properly. (Though from what I've seen of wave 5 there was an issue of distribution in the US too!) I got in touch with the UK Mattel branch to ask and they just said they "didn't know". Someone on the board a few weeks ago mentioned a rumour that this line would be distributed in Europe in late 2020, but I've not seen anything confirming that.
    Check out my Masters of the Universe cartoon review site at https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/!

  9. #9
    SAY10 is coming... dedset13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Bedford, MA
    Posts
    5,642
    They look very cool, can't wait to get them!!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

  10. #10
    Broncos lovin' admin! dorrmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    15,349
    We love to see prototypes. Thanks for sharing!

    This one is the best!


  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior DC_WARLORD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Skartaris, Inner Earth
    Posts
    2,459
    Welcome, KEVIN!

    And thank you for all the information!!
    Odd Man Out

  12. #12
    Master of fear Drunken Fist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Petal, Mississippi
    Posts
    6,021
    I love seeing stuff like this! That Battle Cat looks like he'll be a good bit better than I was expecting, and Mer-Man is a must-have for the collection! Looking forward to (hopefully) seeing these in stores next year!

  13. #13
    Court Magician trap-grr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kilmarnock, Scotland, UK
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenMorton View Post
    I got the 5-pack Battle for Eternia set (He-Man, Skeletor, Teela, Beast-Man, Faker) and the Wind Raider from Entertainment Earth, who deliver to the UK but as I recall the customs fees were pretty high. Man-at-Arms and Evil-Lyn from eBay. Then Grayskull and Stratos and Scareglow from Amazon.com - you can order from there, but they won't always deliver to the UK, it tells you when you get to the checkout whether the seller delivers or not.

    So it's possible to get them here, but it would be much nicer if they would distribute them here properly. (Though from what I've seen of wave 5 there was an issue of distribution in the US too!) I got in touch with the UK Mattel branch to ask and they just said they "didn't know". Someone on the board a few weeks ago mentioned a rumour that this line would be distributed in Europe in late 2020, but I've not seen anything confirming that.
    Thanks, I was hoping you had some secret cheap supplier. I got my 5 pack from amazon. Com. Greyskull from amazon. UK and wind raider from ebay. I haven't been able to find wave 4 or 5 at a price that I would pay, never mind the battle bones. Greyskull was a good price for the UK I paid £207 I think, give or take a few £s.

    Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Heroic Toy Addict soundwavempl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,156
    Thanks for posting. I love Mega Construx! My first purchases were the classic TMNT sets. Then MOTU and Heroes came along and I have been buying those. I just started getting the Halo figures now too. You guys are awesome!
    MOTU Vintage Visual Figure Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

    MOTUC from Vintage Visual Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

    My Feedback Thread

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior kenobi96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    664
    These are really cool!! I can’t wait to add these to my collection! I’m hoping that the Roton comes with a removable canopy to make it look like the old Monogram model (same with Attak Trak if it gets a release). Here’s hoping they are easy to find in stores or online!!
    Mattel... Please bring back 200x styled stactions!!

  16. #16
    Widget Ka Rot-Top's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    34
    Awesome! Thanks for the production pics and info! I love this toy line and have bought everything MOTU so far except for Scareglow and Stratos 'cause I've never seen those on the shelf yet. Building Castle Grayskull now and loving it! Can't wait for all the new MOTU releases!

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior samson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    352
    Thanks for sharing, these are fantastic! Head and shoulders my most favourite line at the moment and can’t wait to get more of these little beauts!

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    500
    I know it may not be in the cards but if I had one hope for this line, it would be a simplified toy scale Grayskull, around 7 inches tall.

    The Pro Builder version is beautiful and affordable with some of the holiday deals I’ve seen but the time investment seems MASSIVE and I got into these initially because I wanted something with a lower shelf footprint. I nearly got all the minis just to use that as my castle.

    Looking back at Mega’s brand history, you guys used to do sculpted carrying cases with a few blocks as extras. You kind of still are with the GoT eggs.

    I’d be really down for a 7”x3” simplified castle case based on the vintage toy with some projects that build on it. Maybe a reuse of the turret/flag and Sorceress/Zoar. I can see that as a sustainable option for more playsets. I doubt anyone would go for a redeco of a $250 Grayskull but maybe a $40 7” x 3” low user effort set could sell a redeco as Hell-Grayskull with Anti-Eternia He-Man or a white redeco based on Preternian Grayskull from the mini comics and 200x flashbacks with King Grayskull and He-Ro.

    Sculpted largely finished sets would get me invested in Snake Mountain and maybe some new stuff!

    I’d also love an Eternian wilderness set with the crazy vines and She-Ra’s Crystal Palace and Eternos Palace and a Horde Fright Zone and so on! The toy scale appeals to me and in particular closing carrying cases to transport figures would be a big winner for me.

    But all that space and time for Grayskull scares me off right now!

    I’ve got all the retail figures so far though and about 4 Windraiders so I’m definitely a fan of what you’re doing!

    Just sharing my $.02! So thrilled with the work on this line.

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior Sgt. Slaughter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    878
    Fantastic!
    Toys, Movies, TV Shows and more reviewed at the pop culture mega site... INFINITE HOLLYWOOD.

  20. #20
    Widget
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    24
    76BDE784-21DF-49E8-B317-C867D72C70FC.jpeg

    Hi Kevin,
    Welcome to the Forum, pleasure to speak with you I was asking you in the MCX gallery “chat” if it’s normal that my figures have the “white lines” on their hands. But i’m surprised even more to see the same white lines on the prototypes already. Pls, are you going to improve this?

  21. #21
    Widget
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    5
    Cool, glad you guys are enjoying the prototype pictures. I'll post more updates as news comes in.


    Quote Originally Posted by Vladik841 View Post
    76BDE784-21DF-49E8-B317-C867D72C70FC.jpeg

    Hi Kevin,
    Welcome to the Forum, pleasure to speak with you I was asking you in the MCX gallery “chat” if it’s normal that my figures have the “white lines” on their hands. But i’m surprised even more to see the same white lines on the prototypes already. Pls, are you going to improve this?
    I have passed your feedback to our product engineer. He will look into it. Thanks for the heads-up!

  22. #22
    Widget
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_MCX View Post

    I have passed your feedback to our product engineer. He will look into it. Thanks for the heads-up!
    Much appreciated! Great work anyways


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    Widget
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    2
    Where are people finding the Mega Construx? I had been getting them at Walmart, but they've stopped carrying them and I haven't seen them elsewhere.

  24. #24
    Broncos lovin' admin! dorrmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    15,349
    They're changing the line to a MOTU-only line in early 2020. It's going to be awesome!

  25. #25
    Widget
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by diracdelta View Post
    Where are people finding the Mega Construx? I had been getting them at Walmart, but they've stopped carrying them and I haven't seen them elsewhere.
    In Europe it’s anyways almost impossible to get them. Either Amazon or Ebay. But the prices are of course huge


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •