Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Official Mega Construx Prototype Discussion

I hope the following news story today doesn't have any effect on the Mega Construx line.

-----

(Reuters) - Mattel Inc will close a factory in Canada after shutting down two plants in Asia, as the toymaker reduces its manufacturing footprint to cut costs, the Wall Street Journal said on Sunday.

The maker of Barbie dolls closed its manufacturing sites in China and Indonesia last year and will shut a facility in Canada sometime this year, the newspaper said.

The closure of the Mega Bloks factory in Montreal, Canada would affect about 580 workers, the journal reported, citing a company spokeswoman.

The manufacturing overhaul is said to be a part of Chief Executive Officer Ynon Kreiz's plan to turn around and stabilize Mattel, which has struggled in recent years from weak sales, the newspaper added.

Mattel did not immediately respond to Reuters' request for comment.

The El Segundo, California-based company is scheduled to report its earnings later in the week.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Lizorr, T-Rex, Great Black Wizard, rest of New Adventures, MOP Demons, Dream Mistress.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Ileena, Twiggets, Dragoon, Widgets, Dark Dream, Lady Valtira, Count Marzo, Chimera.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Yeah, not good. Is that the only factory that makes mega bloks ?
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Quote Originally Posted by air7walk View Post
    So.. I found the cardboard display at Wal-Mart, and since I'm obsessed and can't stop buying (lol), I just grabbed what was left in there and took the entire thing to the register. I told the nice woman at the checkout that I didn't need a bag, I would just use the cardboard to carry stuff out. She said, "Sounds good!" I love collecting MOTU displays, so I was glad to grab this one!
    I have done that a couple of times with lego minifigures and the last time I did it was with Harry Potter pint size funko, there were 2 figures set inside the display, so I just took the whole box. Two free figures for my thank you very much

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

building with MCX bricks Old Bolty-Neck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    Yeah, not good. Is that the only factory that makes mega bloks ?
    Spot-checking some of my carded figures, I see "Made in China" stamps. Same with Battle Bones. Other sets from Mega Construx in my collection have "Made in Canada" and "Made in Canada with foreign and domestic components" stamps. To me these different stamps indicate they have more factories than just the St-Laurent (Montreal) plant that's closing. To continue producing output at lower costs, the company's going to ramp up manufacturing in China and Mexico. Jobs in design and management will stay in Montreal (about 230 positions), from the news I've read.
    My fan interests include: Classic Horror • Star Trek • DC Comics primarily Superman • Marx Brothers • Muppets • MOTU • Whose Line? • trance music • I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue • the historical sharpshooter Annie Oakley • fonts with kerning • bottom-posting
    My Mega Construx gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I hope the following news story today doesn't have any effect on the Mega Construx line.

-----

(Reuters) - Mattel Inc will close a factory in Canada after shutting down two plants in Asia, as the toymaker reduces its manufacturing footprint to cut costs, the Wall Street Journal said on Sunday.

The maker of Barbie dolls closed its manufacturing sites in China and Indonesia last year and will shut a facility in Canada sometime this year, the newspaper said.

The closure of the Mega Bloks factory in Montreal, Canada would affect about 580 workers, the journal reported, citing a company spokeswoman.

The manufacturing overhaul is said to be a part of Chief Executive Officer Ynon Kreiz's plan to turn around and stabilize Mattel, which has struggled in recent years from weak sales, the newspaper added.

Mattel did not immediately respond to Reuters' request for comment.

The El Segundo, California-based company is scheduled to report its earnings later in the week.
    I'm curious what Mattel will say during their earnings report to shareholders this Thursday at 4 PM CST, so I bought a share of the stock to join the meeting. I will probably make a new thread since this is really deviating from the prototype discussion here!
    This could be the end of the world.. of warcraft.

If I were to, this very moment, look up the definition of dedication, your name would be there.

The hasbro meeting was today. The big news was, no news. They have not signed a deal for marvel or Star Wars beyond 2020, but hasbro seemed upbeat.

Heroic Warrior
    I know this isn't motu, but if Hasbro doesn't renew the Star Wars license, I wonder who will get it, and I wonder if it'll be as exclusive as Hasbro's. Lego Star Wars CMFs (the blind figure bags) are something I would totally buy, and they couldn't happen because of Hasbro's contract.

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    I know this isn't motu, but if Hasbro doesn't renew the Star Wars license, I wonder who will get it, and I wonder if it'll be as exclusive as Hasbro's. Lego Star Wars CMFs (the blind figure bags) are something I would totally buy, and they couldn't happen because of Hasbro's contract.
    I know not the thread.... but, look at dc. Mattel lost the license and mcfarlane toys does 7 inch scale, dc collectibles is doing 6 inch scale and spin masters is doing 3.75 inch scale. Seems like the future is carving up licenses. Mattel was doing this with masters, but now have all but shut that down. Toy fair 2020 will be very interesting to say the least.

I initially resisted getting the MOTU Mega Construx line as i was a diehard lego fan. Then I saw Castle Grayskull and was too tempting to resist any longer! The price when I bought it via Amazon was just so tempting. I have to say its absoultley one of the best builds ever, totally up there with Lego Creator and Ideas products. Its taken me for ever to build and has been constanly a fun build too! Being in the Uk its been hard and expensive to get everything so far but WOW, you guys have really done an amazing job. Keep up the awesome work and here's hoping for a Snake Mountain as the next BIG build. So worth getting this line, can't recommend it highly enough!

Well, thank goodness for this thread. I legit joined the forum because I wasn't seeing enough news about these, but here it is! Thanks so much to Kevin for fielding questions. I love the prototype pics - something to dream about until they hit shelves. One thing I wanted to ask was about distribution. Like others have pointed out, there's still a lot of Beast Men (Beast-Mans?) warming the shelves. Meanwhile I haven't seen anything past Man At Arms on the shelves (I should've bought two) and online retailers only have a smattering of product. I think it's clear you guys are committed to the line and because of that, so am I. From price point to articulation to attention to detail and fan service, this line ticks all the boxes for me. Is better distribution something y'all are working on? It would be nice to not have to panic and buy from resellers on ePay. I wish I could order straight from the Mega Construx site, but I understand how that's probably a nightmare to implement. Is it true Target won't be carrying these in the future? I dislike SprawlMart, but I went to two different ones yesterday and had no luck anyway. I guess my question ultimately boils down to where can I keep buying these?

Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    I know not the thread.... but, look at dc. Mattel lost the license and mcfarlane toys does 7 inch scale, dc collectibles is doing 6 inch scale and spin masters is doing 3.75 inch scale. Seems like the future is carving up licenses. Mattel was doing this with masters, but now have all but shut that down. Toy fair 2020 will be very interesting to say the least.

I really with that Mega would do G.I. Joe and M.A.S.K although they are Hasbro's in house brands.
    Boomer Sooner!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tkjaer21 View Post
    I really with that Mega would do G.I. Joe and M.A.S.K although they are Hasbro's in house brands.
    Would absolutely love to see these done in mega construx. Two of my favourite toy lines when I was young. Damn, I can just picture a tiny cobra commander, would be a little thing of beauty.

I'm curious what Mattel will say during their earnings report to shareholders this Thursday at 4 PM CST, so I bought a share of the stock to join the meeting. I will probably make a new thread since this is really deviating from the prototype discussion here!
    Here is the link. I’m interested in what was said if anything about motu or action figures in general on the call.
    https://mattel.gcs-web.com/static-fi...e-e9dd596f2165

Quote Originally Posted by rank_and_vile View Post
    Well, thank goodness for this thread. I legit joined the forum because I wasn't seeing enough news about these, but here it is! Thanks so much to Kevin for fielding questions. I love the prototype pics - something to dream about until they hit shelves. One thing I wanted to ask was about distribution. Like others have pointed out, there's still a lot of Beast Men (Beast-Mans?) warming the shelves. Meanwhile I haven't seen anything past Man At Arms on the shelves (I should've bought two) and online retailers only have a smattering of product. I think it's clear you guys are committed to the line and because of that, so am I. From price point to articulation to attention to detail and fan service, this line ticks all the boxes for me. Is better distribution something y'all are working on? It would be nice to not have to panic and buy from resellers on ePay. I wish I could order straight from the Mega Construx site, but I understand how that's probably a nightmare to implement. Is it true Target won't be carrying these in the future? I dislike SprawlMart, but I went to two different ones yesterday and had no luck anyway. I guess my question ultimately boils down to where can I keep buying these?
    The new all-MOTU wave has been fairly easy to find at Walmart. If you haven’t seen it yet, don’t give up, you will.

Wave 5 (the one with Scareglow) had distribution issues and I haven’t seen it jn stores with the exception of picked over cases at 5 Below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did go to Five Below yesterday and didn't see anything. It's okay; I just overpaid for another ScareGlow on ePay because, let's face it, I'm a sucker for GITD. I will keep an eye out at SprawlMart though. I really want to see this line succeed.

- - - Updated - - -

I take it all back. This weekend between myself and a coworker I found all the figures from the new wave (and I took the box like @air7walk). No sign of the Xeno eggs, but there was a space on the shelf for them, so I have hope. My Grayskull arrived on Friday too, so now I have something to occupy myself until the next wave of figures hits. I am a happy, happy fan. Thank you, MegaConstrux.

- - - Updated - - -

I take it all back. This weekend between myself and a coworker I found all the figures from the new wave (and I took the box like @air7walk). No sign of the Xeno eggs, but there was a space on the shelf for them, so I have hope. My Grayskull arrived on Friday too, so now I have something to occupy myself until the next wave of figures hits. I am a happy, happy fan. Thank you, MegaConstrux.
    Congratulations buddy! I think we need some sort of team name -- The Fellowship of the Display Runners (as we run out the door with displays lol). Once I get my streaming studio re-set back up, I plan on doing video reviews for all the MOTUC Construx figures and vehicles/playsets, and I'll make sure I do one for the display as well. Welcome to the team -- may all of your displays be shrugged off by the employees!!

Congratulations buddy! I think we need some sort of team name -- The Fellowship of the Display Runners (as we run out the door with displays lol). Once I get my streaming studio re-set back up, I plan on doing video reviews for all the MOTUC Construx figures and vehicles/playsets, and I'll make sure I do one for the display as well. Welcome to the team -- may all of your displays be shrugged off by the employees!!
    Thanks, man. Those displays are so nice for organizing the figures you want to keep carded (if you're crazy and buy multiples so you can open a set - but who's THAT nuts...) A review series sounds fun. There's so many great little details to talk about in this line. Like how the original release of Stratos is hard to find but the re-release mimics the hard-to-find original release from the original 80s Mattel figures. That's like insane fan-service and I love it. So definitely let me know when you drop your first video!

Thanks for sharing Kevin_MCX!

Any chance the upcoming Roton will have its canopy like the Classics version/Monogram model?
    Mattel... Please bring back 200x styled stactions!!

Quote Originally Posted by kenobi96 View Post
    !

Any chance the upcoming Roton will have its canopy like the Classics version/Monogram model?
    Or a Skelcon? Haha. I know that's unlikely. Too many new parts.

Or a Skelcon? Haha. I know that's unlikely. Too many new parts.
    True, but these would be awesome for army building and people would be tempted to buy multiples. Howabout some Horde Troopers and Palace Guards, too!
    Kreann’Ot N’Norosh is my copilot.

Hey Kevin -- I hope you are staying safe and everything is ok with you and all the crew at MOTU Mega Construx!