Thread: what is the serial number of the never seen vintage HORDE 3-Pack Gift set?

what is the serial number of the never seen vintage HORDE 3-Pack Gift set?

Hi, I have a question concerning the never seen (never released?) Horde 3-Pack vintage Gift Set.
    As many of Us know on a old Mattel 86' catalog we can see a full page showing Hordak/Mantenna/Leech as Three Pack.

I never owned this catalog and the only picture I have of this page is in very poor quality, what I want to know is just the serial number of this set indicated (if it is) in this catalog.
    If a collector among You has this catalog can You check and let me know please? it is four digit number.

Thanks.

I have no clue, TOKYONEVER.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

I do not despair to get an answer but I am pretty sure that the waiting will be very long

What is strange about this Gift Set: He is referenced as "New" item but the figures inside were all 3 already on the market since a full year.
    This Gift Set was destined to be the "alter ego" of the Heroic Warriors "Mekaneck/Buzz Off/Moss Man" 3-Pack reissued, We already crossed on the market this reissue (the diecut form is not the same than on the first issue) and it is very surprising to have never seen this Evil Horde 3-pack, in my mind: if one is existing the other one should be specially when all other Gift Sets from this catalog are all known as existing.

Heroic Warrior Scotty TuffGuy1979's Avatar
    The stock number is 1269

I love horde, favorite release of figures, I always hope someday I will find this set, Can’t wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty TuffGuy1979 View Post
    The stock number is 1269

I love horde, favorite release of figures, I always hope someday I will find this set, Can’t wait!
    Wow, thanks a lot Scotty.

I wanted to compare this serial number with all others from the toyline to understand the logic of the manufacture and which other Gift Set serial number was close to this one but as I see it is looking to be a random number.

Hordak Grizzlor as exemple is 2230.
    Canadian Hordak Mantisaur is 1621.
    Flying Fists /Terror Claws is R4721.
    Canadian collector 3-pack is 8350.
    Etc

I also hope to discover this set in the future.

By the way, have You seen on this catalog that He is referenced as "Three Pack" and not as "Set" like the Flying Fist/Terror Claws & the Heroic Warriors one.
    I wonder if they are packed in a boxe like them or inside a sort of large Twin-Pack card...

Edit, I found something interesting:
    The Sku 1268 was for a Francie's fashion from 1966 https://barbie.mattel.com/shop/en-us...e-setters-1268

Well, not sure to understand because the Sku 1269 was also used the same year for an other fashion:
    https://barbie.mattel.com/shop/en-us...limelight-1269

Mattel was reusing the same SKUs years later?

Edit2: So, I have the answer to my previous question...

Here is what I can find with:
    - the same Sku than Hordak/Grizzlor 2-pack: https://barbie.mattel.com/shop/en-us...y-fashion-2230
    - the same Sku than the canadian Hordak/Mantisaur set: https://barbie.mattel.com/shop/en-us/ba/knit-hit-1621

After checking again for the Sku 1269 this one is currently used for the "Hot Wheels Angry Birds Track Set" and at the same time for "Barbie Fashionistas Barbie Dress Set, Nautical Sailor Outfits Set & Casual Fashion Set Bundle", also for "Cars World Grand Prix race Launcher" and for a Barbie doll + fashions set (UPC: 887961744545) lol

Now I understand why Mattel can't find easily something from their archives...

It is crazy lol
    Last edited by TOKYONEVER; December 2, 2019 at 06:05pm.

Welcome! no problem

I read your theories and idea’s all the time and enjoy reading about your thoughts. Makes sense but this set I think was produced.

The only reason I would believe it exist’s, is the set was pictured in a 1986 catalog. The MOTU line was still moving forward. They released everything in 1986 pictured in the catalog, then released a 1987 catalog which many items went unproduced and unreleased, so I think this set was released as well. Look how rare Heman Jetsled is, also with a New logo. But still released and very few are out there.
    I think these 1986 sets only made it to very few stores.

The catalog reads. The Evil Horde Three Pack, NEW, I thinking any reference to NEW mean first time together, Not a first time release. The Heroic Set reissue, does not say NEW, it was released before the same way. I do not know how you can tell a reissue for first year unless they are dated different.

It will be my last US giftset / 3 pack needed. Like I said I cant wait!

Another crazy thing both Battle for Eternia sets. One with regular Skeletor and other with Ba Skeletor both have same sku or stock number, even though sets are different. So many RARE sets I have had, kept, or sold came from same stores.

Just another Crazy Thing. Another crazy idea to make sense of.

i too believe it was released. just another rare set that we haven't seen yet. look at the first edition 1983 gift sets. only one or each has been seen. no others. just how rare they are.

hopefully we will see one pop up in our lifetime
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

The only reason I would believe it exist’s, is the set was pictured in a 1986 catalog. The MOTU line was still moving forward. They released everything in 1986 pictured in the catalog, then released a 1987 catalog which many items went unproduced and unreleased, so I think this set was released as well. Look how rare Heman Jetsled is, also with a New logo. But still released and very few are out there.
    I think these 1986 sets only made it to very few stores.
    Yep I am thinking the same.

I heard something about the Jet Sled/He-Man as only sold at the Mattel building, have you already heard something like that? If it is true it can explain its rarity because the mass production number should be very low.
    I have never seen one with a price tag on it.
    If true again, probably Evil Horde 3-pack got the same destiny because stores were already full of carded Leech, Hordak and Mantenna at this time, or as You said: sold only at few stores.

The catalog reads. The Evil Horde Three Pack, NEW, I thinking any reference to NEW mean first time together, Not a first time release. The Heroic Set reissue, does not say NEW, it was released before the same way. I do not know how you can tell a reissue for first year unless they are dated different.
    I am not sure to understand the last part, I was only speaking about the Heroic 3-pack.

Another crazy thing both Battle for Eternia sets. One with regular Skeletor and other with Ba Skeletor both have same sku or stock number, even though sets are different. So many RARE sets I have had, kept, or sold came from same stores.
    As for all the Heroic and Evil Warriors 3-packs, exactly the same numbers repeated again and again lol

I have a personnal belief about The Battle For Eternia sets, I am pretty sure than an other "equal" set is existing (with He-Man/Battle Cat and an other Evil figure with).

He-Man/Battle Cat set with its equal Skeletor/Panthor set, BA He-Man/Battle Cat set with its equal BA Skeletor/Panthor set, Heroic Warriors and Evil Warriors Gift Sets (V1 and v2 with both: He-man/Skeletor and BA He-Man/BA Skeletor), BA He-Man/Road Ripper with its equal BA Skeletor Land Shark and nothing coming from the side of a set like Skeletor/Panthor/Man-E-Faces?

It is hard for me to accept that a set with Skeletor inside has been released alone without an other set with He-Man at the same time, specially for a set called "Battle For Eternia" (a specific title, not other set got a name like this) and saying at the front: "Heroic Warriors and Evil Warriors struggling for universal power!".
    Because the Battle for Eternia Skeletor/BA Skeletor sets are just extremly rares I kept the idea that a set with He-Man inside would be harder to find because back to 80' He-Man was easiest to sell than Skeletor (years 83/84) and if existing that could explain why we still would never have seen it.
    So, just an other theory lol

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    i too believe it was released. just another rare set that we haven't seen yet. look at the first edition 1983 gift sets. only one or each has been seen. no others. just how rare they are.

hopefully we will see one pop up in our lifetime
    Are You speaking about Heroic Warriors and Evil Warriors sets from 1983? many of them surfaced since the day we discovered them online.

I am also thinking about the Battle Armor twin pack, promoted in a UK catalog (US version pictured inside because "Armor" written on it instead of "Armour").

UK version has been made and nothing about the US version? hard to believe.
    Last edited by TOKYONEVER; December 4, 2019 at 01:08am.

The idea of a Heroic Battle for Eternia, Makes sense. Awesome idea! There always seems to be a hero set and evil set, so it makes sense. Again with our thoughts, look how rare Battle for Eternia sets are, So a heman set might be rarer! Or does not exist anymore, BUT BUT
    Is a set like heman windraider the hero set for battle for Eternia? Around Same Years! What is the hero set for Ba Skeletor screech 2 pack? What about an Evil lyn giftset? No New logo evil lyn! Like we all know, nothing makes sense sometimes.

Crazy thing, Every Battle for Eternia set I owned. I owned 3 Ba Skeletor before and 1 regular Skeletor, All had the same price sticker on from the same store.

So with that said, this tells me only certain stores received certain sets, This can be said about Battle for Eternia, Heman Jetsled, which I have been told the Mattel store sold it, not saying I believe this, but sets only selling in low production in certain stores makes lots of sense.

I guess point of all this giftset and 3 pack talk, I know Horde 3 pack was produced. Do any exists? Maybe! Most people like giftsets over figure 3 packs, I myself like the figure 3 packs as much as giftsets. So Hope to find one someday.

Is a set like heman windraider the hero set for battle for Eternia? Around Same Years!
    Both first Gift sets do not have this logic to get an Evil equivalent (excepted He-Man/Battle Cat reissued 12_back) this logic started during the year 83' with the first Heroic and Evil Warriors 3-packs.
    In the 83' catalogs He-Man/Wind Raider (reissued) is shown with He-Man/Battle Cat (reissued), Skeletor/Panthor, Skeletor/Screeech and Teela/Zoar.

If He-Man/Wind Raider (year 83 reissued/12 back) was planned to be the equivalent of Battle for Eternia why this one does not appear next to him in the 83' catalogs? You see what I mean?
    IMO He-Man/Wind Raider is an exception, as He-Man/Jet Sled, Hordak/Grizzlor and canadian Hordak/Mantisaur.

What is the hero set for Ba Skeletor screech 2 pack? What about an Evil lyn giftset? No New logo evil lyn! Like we all know, nothing makes sense sometimes.
    The Heroic set for BA Skeletor/Screeech is Teela/Zoar reissued (as we seen for the Heroic Warriors v3 reissued for the Evil Horde 3-Pack in the 86' catalog).
    During the year 84' Skeletor/Screeech has been replaced on the market by BA Skeletor/Screeech.
    I had a UK Mattel catalog showing at the last Motu page Teela/Zoar next to BA Skeletor/Screeech.

About Evil-Lyn it is a good question, I can't say.
    I never crossed a "No G" card myself for her, G1, G2, G3 and G4 only.
    Maybe she is existing with New logo on it but just never seen online, You know we have recently discovered in Europe Prince Adam and Grizzlor (European versions) with New logos on them... We seen a ton of mocs circulate online for each one since the last 20 years and only this year we are discovering their 1st European editions lol, one from Italy and one from Austria.
    We never crossed European Hordak, Mantenna, Modulok and Leech with New logos... Damn! they are pretty common figures lol!

I am thinking about an other thing shown in a Mattel catalog and still never seen (if existing of course): He-Man/Road Ripper Gift set, He is referenced in an Repro "B&W"Art Book catalog from the year 84.
    The serial number is the same one than the BA He-Man/Road Ripper gift set but what is surprising is that You can see Fisto/Stridor with a logo "New for 84" and not this one...
    BA He-Man/Road Ripper is new from 84, if it was a mistake the logo "New for 84" was supposed to be beside right? But nothing, that means that a previous version with He-Man was existing for real???

Also promoted in a Mattel UK '84 catalog, this time with "New for 84" logo (but as You know Europe had Toys distribution delayed compared to USA, we had the news later).

...And also advertissed on sale...

By "reissued" I mean: by example if a gift set is from '84 and shown again later in a '85 catalog it is a reissue because already produced the previous year.
    For me the He-Man/Battle Cat promoted inside the '82 catalog is the 8_back version and inside the '83 catalog is corresponding at the 12_Back version (because wave 2 also shown in the catalog), same thing with He-Man/Wind raider.
    Most of time it is impossible to recognize a Gift Set reissued with a first edition, they are 99% the same ones + they are not marked as the figures: G0, G1,G2,G3 etc
    About the Heroic Warriors v3 the reissue is easy to recognize in hands because the diecut form around the plastic window is not the same one than the 1st version.

By logic The Evil Horde 3-Pack has the same diecut form.
    Last edited by TOKYONEVER; December 6, 2019 at 11:20am.