Thread: Rarity guide/system?

Drinking NaughtyNurse IPA TheDeviot's Avatar

Rarity guide/system?

A retro game shop I frequent sometimes has loose vintage figures for cheap. This weekend I found a Stonedar (Missing gun) in pretty
    respectable shape so I picked it up because how often do you see a Stonedar in the wild? Let alone for six bucks?
    So anyway that got me to thinking, has anyone in the community attempted to figure out which characters and variants are the rarest?
    I don't simply mean pointing out that Tytus is basically Unicorn status for most of us. A good example of what I'm talking about is what AtariAge does.
    If you're not familiar they archive as much old school Atari platform stuff as possible. One thing they have though is a rather nice Rarity guide.
    It goes from 1-9 with 1 being as common as a blade of grass, and 9 being the extremely rare unicorn status games.

They account for variants too. For instance, Space Invaders was released several times in high quantities. But you'll see the text label version is a 1, but the
    red box art label is a 2, meaning they made slightly less of them. Swordquest Earthworld is a fairly common 2, Swordquest Fireworld is a scarce 3 but the third game
    Swordquest Waterworld came out as a mail-order only game during the crash of 83/84 and has a rating of 9 accordingly.

Do we know enough about the 80's line (or even the other lines) where we could emphatically say Man-At-Arms is a 2, and Rio Blast is a 6? Just something
    finding a figure I don't see out very often got me musing over.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot View Post
    A retro game shop I frequent sometimes has loose vintage figures for cheap. This weekend I found a Stonedar (Missing gun) in pretty
    respectable shape so I picked it up because how often do you see a Stonedar in the wild? Let alone for six bucks?
    So anyway that got me to thinking, has anyone in the community attempted to figure out which characters and variants are the rarest?
    I don't simply mean pointing out that Tytus is basically Unicorn status for most of us. A good example of what I'm talking about is what AtariAge does.
    If you're not familiar they archive as much old school Atari platform stuff as possible. One thing they have though is a rather nice Rarity guide.
    It goes from 1-9 with 1 being as common as a blade of grass, and 9 being the extremely rare unicorn status games.

They account for variants too. For instance, Space Invaders was released several times in high quantities. But you'll see the text label version is a 1, but the
    red box art label is a 2, meaning they made slightly less of them. Swordquest Earthworld is a fairly common 2, Swordquest Fireworld is a scarce 3 but the third game
    Swordquest Waterworld came out as a mail-order only game during the crash of 83/84 and has a rating of 9 accordingly.

Do we know enough about the 80's line (or even the other lines) where we could emphatically say Man-At-Arms is a 2, and Rio Blast is a 6? Just something
    finding a figure I don't see out very often got me musing over.
    You can figure out how many releases a figure had based on codes on the packaging. Generally speaking, more releases should roughly tell you that there were more figures made (this would be the "G" code on the back, ie G1, G2, G3).
    Last edited by Lich Leech; November 24, 2019 at 08:02pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    You can figure out how many releases a figure had based on codes on the packaging. Generally speaking, more releases should roughly tell you that there were more figures made (this would be the "G" code on the back, ie G1, G2, G3).
    That's interesting! Never realized that. Did Mattel ever stamp any of the toys themselves in a way that would let a loose collector know if it was a G1,2,3,etc.?
    The Deviot
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot View Post
    That's interesting! Never realized that. Did Mattel ever stamp any of the toys themselves in a way that would let a loose collector know if it was a G1,2,3,etc.?
    No. There are some subtle differences between some of them but it's not stamped out in a way that makes it easy to catalog the figures like that.

Ah, well. :/
    The Deviot

-?