Thread: New, but old in Wisconsin

Widget

New, but old in Wisconsin

Hello Everyone,

I think I'm beyond the point of lurking and while it's a real chore in 2019 to remember another login and password I'm super excited to see what the future brings for MOTU.

A bit about myself...I'm in my 30s, definitely missed the boom of MOTU in the early 80s...but thanks to an older brother and cousin I had MOTU figures in my hands since I could walk.

I've own my home since my early 20s...but because of the economic collapse in a lot of the USA in 2008-2012 I had a huge collecting hiatus.

Which brings me to the next point. I wasn't around for classics. I was saving everything I had to buy my house and keep it while a lot of others were facing foreclosure. It honestly wasn't until 2016 that I could realistically buy toys again...and man did I ever.

I collect Star Wars, GI Joe, MOTU, TMNT, Ghostbusters, Jurassic Park, Simpsons and a sprinkle of 80s and 90s obscurities.

Since 2016 I've purchased at least 30 personal collections across my interests and visited countless flea markets, toy shows, estate sales, and rummage sales

HOWEVER, I never had much access or knowledge on Classics.

My first classic figure was bought at Gamestop in perhaps Summer or so of 2016 (at least I think it was)

I was still naive to the fact that these were club exclusives or that this stuff existed. I of course would end up seeing more at gamestop...which i foolishly didn't buy, think the price of classics was expensive and trying to pretend I could be so responsible.

As time went on I got a handful more either at gamestop or toy shows...but it really wasn't until earlier this year (2019) I did full research on the origins of the line and how matty collector worked and super7 briefly took over.

There was a moment...not sure when, that I was on the matty collector site the past few years and the (vault was open?) and I should've bought one of everything in stock....but I didn't because I again foolishly thought this stuff would stay available....I was always saving to get married.

in 2018 I got engaged and I got married this year (2019) so one of my biggest milestones/expenses in life is now complete....and despite the whole "you can do whatever you want after the wedding" not being 100% true... I have gone overboard trying to get classics before they're so stupidly Fisto-expensive that they're all out of reach.

So far, I have maybe 50 items with 35 being unique (I've gotten some doubles or triples for openers and trades)

I think as the weeks go on I'll be getting something weekly...as I'm a numbers guy and always try to analyze the best times to pick things up and in what order. Someone always seems to be selling one part of their collection to finance another (with mondo and hot toys making tons of stuff fast...I see people ditching their smaller scales)

I'd love to hear from collectors in the region and if anyone has tips on how they've been buying classics or other lines. My vintage line is well rounded..I even have some packaged stuff.

Glad to be here.

Welcome aboard!

Dedset will be along shortly to give you information on how you can access the Marketplace forums. You can find some great deals to help with your collection in there!

On behalf of He-Man.org's admin, staff, and moderators, allow me to extend an official Hello and welcome to He-Man.org, pennilesspole!!

We're glad to have you join our site and we hope you have a fun time discussing Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power here.

Please be sure to read over the rules for posting and interacting on He-Man.org. And if you have any questions, you are welcome to send me a PM for more information.

If you want to buy and trade you will need to upgrade your account to have access to the Marketplace. Please click here and read the section entitled "What are the limitations for users with Gmail/AOL/Yahoo accounts?" for more information. For details on how the upgrading system works click here.

Hello!! Welcome to the community, great introduction!! Sounds like you've got quite a collection and the Classics line is such a great line to collect, so I'm sure you'll have a blast!! If you're looking to build your collections, keep an eye on the marketplace here and you may find some good deals. As you know, we have the best He-Fans and She-Ravers around and as always, we have great ongoing MOTU and POP discussions, so feel free to join in the conversation!!

Enjoy your time here and welcome!!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy