Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Power-Con 2020 - August 8 & 9 - Online event

I’m looking forward to picking the exclusives up whenever they go on sale. Besides the pandemic, we’re selling/buying and moving in early April, so I appreciate pushing the sales of them out a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have I already lost the opportunity to buy Powercon exclusives as a non-attendee?

I know that it was initially stated that non-attendees could purchase figures on March 21. I lost track of the date. I just went to the site and there is only a link for attendees to buy. I don't see a non-attendees option. I really wanted to get a She-Ra.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    Have I already lost the opportunity to buy Powercon exclusives as a non-attendee?

I know that it was initially stated that non-attendees could purchase figures on March 21. I lost track of the date. I just went to the site and there is only a link for attendees to buy. I don't see a non-attendees option. I really wanted to get a She-Ra.
    It was moved to March 26th

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    I think you meant it was moved to April 25th

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post

All of the information you seek is right on the Power-Con website.

https://thepower-con.com/2020/03/covid-19/

Quote Originally Posted by Powersword123 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    All of the information you seek is right on the Power-Con website.

https://thepower-con.com/2020/03/covid-19/
    Thanks guys. I'm an idiot. It's right there on the front page. I skipped straight to the "Tickets and Exclusives" page and it mentioned the initial March 21st date. I just rechecked and now the site says says the April 25th date on the Tickets and Exclusives page. I must have needed to clear out the cache on my PC. Thanks for puting up with my not so tech savvy self.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Powersword123 View Post
    it's all just one day now.
    I am literally setting alarms on my phone because I cannot remember what day it is, let a lone the date, without looking at my phone.

it's all just one day now.
    I am literally setting alarms on my phone because I cannot remember what day it is, let a lone the date, without looking at my phone.
    I hear ya! I was awoken this morning by the sound of a neighbor rolling their trash car out to the street. I had forgotten it was trash day, so I leaped out of bed, through on some clothes and got our cans out before the truck came down our street! Day, date, all blurring together now.

I feel you all there! I was shocked it was Wednesday. Where did Tuesday go?
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Heroic Warrior
    Odds are, things aren't going to calm down anytime soon. Do you know what's happening?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    Odds are, things aren't going to calm down anytime soon. Do you know what's happening?
    I'd be surprised if an announcement got made before June 1st or so, still 60 days out.

This is going to be a really hard year for a lot of people but none of the contingencies that would make this tragedy stretch out have happened yet.

There are going to be tens or likely hundreds of thousands dead in the next month. There's certainly a case to be made that 95% of that could have been avoided. But as bad as things are in the U.S., none of the things that would cause this to stretch out to August have happened yet. People who get infected are likely getting immunity with some of the concerns about that addressed. Quarantine and shelter orders are getting stronger. The likeliest scenario right now is that we all know someone who dies, heads roll, holidays and memorials are declared, and we lose far, far too many good doctors and nurses on the front lines --

But also that cases will peak sometime in the next 60 days and then dwindle down and then in June you'll be down to hearing about deaths going back down to 10-15 a week nationally and in July public gatherings with limits are established with sanitizer stations everywhere and in August the chairs are spaced out and people are still sanitizing but people are back to most jobs. Schools may stay online until January out of an abundance of caution.

I think it's likelier that HOW Powercon plays out (vendor restructions, occupancy limits, distancing, sanitizing) changes.

But I doubt we'll see a cancellation decision any sooner than June because there are a lot of assumptions in what I just typed and it's going to depend on whether the deaths plateau and rate of transmission slows. If everybody stayed put in their home for the next 2-4 weeks (which as an apartment dweller with limited storage I recognize isn't perfectly possible) then life could go back to normal May 1st.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    I'd be surprised if an announcement got made before June 1st or so, still 60 days out.

This is going to be a really hard year for a lot of people but none of the contingencies that would make this tragedy stretch out have happened yet.

There are going to be tens or likely hundreds of thousands dead in the next month. There's certainly a case to be made that 95% of that could have been avoided. But as bad as things are in the U.S., none of the things that would cause this to stretch out to August have happened yet. People who get infected are likely getting immunity with some of the concerns about that addressed. Quarantine and shelter orders are getting stronger. The likeliest scenario right now is that we all know someone who dies, heads roll, holidays and memorials are declared, and we lose far, far too many good doctors and nurses on the front lines --

But also that cases will peak sometime in the next 60 days and then dwindle down and then in June you'll be down to hearing about deaths going back down to 10-15 a week nationally and in July public gatherings with limits are established with sanitizer stations everywhere and in August the chairs are spaced out and people are still sanitizing but people are back to most jobs. Schools may stay online until January out of an abundance of caution.

I think it's likelier that HOW Powercon plays out (vendor restructions, occupancy limits, distancing, sanitizing) changes.

But I doubt we'll see a cancellation decision any sooner than June because there are a lot of assumptions in what I just typed and it's going to depend on whether the deaths plateau and rate of transmission slows. If everybody stayed put in their home for the next 2-4 weeks (which as an apartment dweller with limited storage I recognize isn't perfectly possible) then life could go back to normal May 1st.
    That was very well put, Cobrala. This whole situation is unprecedented, so it's almost impossible to know where we'll be several months from now. It's just one day at a time.

Something that's been crossing my mind a lot lately is, I don't really want to be around big crowded events after this all is over. As interested as I was in going this year, I think I'll stick with supporting the show by trying to pre-order the exclusives and just wait for the youtube videos to pop up.

Maybe Danielle and Nate will get that Halloween Power Con they've been waiting for! Though under the worst circumstances.
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Something that's been crossing my mind a lot lately is, I don't really want to be around big crowded events after this all is over. As interested as I was in going this year, I think I'll stick with supporting the show by trying to pre-order the exclusives and just wait for the youtube videos to pop up.
    This is what I was thinking. Even if this (and other big events around the globe) are allowed to function by that point, would people even want to go? Yes, I'm sure a significant number would, but I'm also sure an equally significant number wouldn't (maybe more). Would it be worth it if only 50% of people who were originally going to come actually turn up? I think a lot of people (around the globe) are going to be left scarred from this, and it’s going to take a while to fully heal. For example, I think its going to be a long time before we start to see full houses in cinemas and sporting events again.
    Last edited by Krueger; April 1, 2020 at 11:40am.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    This is what I was thinking. Even if this (and other big events around the globe) are allowed to function by that point, would people even want to go? Yes, I'm sure a significant number would, but I'm also sure an equally significant number wouldn't (maybe more). Would it be worth it if only 50% of people who were originally going to come actually turn up? I think a lot of people (around the globe) are going to be left scarred from this, and it’s going to take a while to fully heal. For example, I think its going to be a long time before we start to see full houses in cinemas and sporting events again.
    I'd be willing to bet money that Powercon will be cancelled. Major events much bigger than this well into July have already been cancelled, and the pandemic is still weeks away from peaking.

99.99999% Powercon is done for this year.

As talked about above, right now isn't the time to do big announcements for the show. Not with so many people falling ill to COVID-19, and so many unfortunately losing their life.

If the current projection models are correct, we'll see this current COVID-19 cycle ending around early to mid June. So, that's when we'd start back up with promoting the show. Until then, people have far more important things to worry about.

People need to be careful and take care of those around them. Social distancing is extremely important, especially if new estimates are potentially accurate in that 25% to 50% of those infected show no symptoms and are accidentally infecting others. It's a time for everyone to be cautious and mindful of everyone around them, even if you feel fine.

For now, we still plan to go ahead with the April 25th Non-Attendee pre-sale. But it's possible that might get bumped out another couple of weeks. It depends more on what is going on in the world at that time, and where people's top priorities fall.

Until then, we'll keep doing the casual social media posts. But more guest announcements and the like will be held back until we feel the majority of the fan base is comfortable with seeing those posted.

Stay safe everyone! Please utilize social distancing, and use protective measures for you and those around you when social distancing is not possible!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

Widget
    Thanks, Val.

(Hopefully you and your family are doing well.)

Gotcha. And appreciate the update during this chaos.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    As talked about above, right now isn't the time to do big announcements for the show. Not with so many people falling ill to COVID-19, and so many unfortunately losing their life.

If the current projection models are correct, we'll see this current COVID-19 cycle ending around early to mid June. So, that's when we'd start back up with promoting the show. Until then, people have far more important things to worry about.

People need to be careful and take care of those around them. Social distancing is extremely important, especially if new estimates are potentially accurate in that 25% to 50% of those infected show no symptoms and are accidentally infecting others. It's a time for everyone to be cautious and mindful of everyone around them, even if you feel fine.

For now, we still plan to go ahead with the April 25th Non-Attendee pre-sale. But it's possible that might get bumped out another couple of weeks. It depends more on what is going on in the world at that time, and where people's top priorities fall.

Until then, we'll keep doing the casual social media posts. But more guest announcements and the like will be held back until we feel the majority of the fan base is comfortable with seeing those posted.

Stay safe everyone! Please utilize social distancing, and use protective measures for you and those around you when social distancing is not possible!
    This is all so unprecedented it's hard to say -- but...

What you've just said strikes me as sensitive, tasteful, and good marketing.

But...

If the event were cancelled, would the exclusives still be offered?

It feels like they need to start production on them before we'll know the status of the convention. My sense is that these things can take 3-4 months.

I'd like to suggest an idea that a contingency be looked at where Powercon might essentially take the form of a book this year. Artwork intended for the shows, interviews, background pieces, maybe collections of the supplemental MOTUC bios, maybe PixelDan could be asked if there's anything on the cutting room floor. Plus maybe collections of the new minicomics for Origins, She-Ra, and MOTWWEU.

Dark Horse like most of the comics business is also likely feeling the pinch and maybe something could be worked out between DH, Mattel, and Powercon to do a "convention in book form".

Thinking through how you manage "a convention in a book", maybe you could even get clearance to adapt some of what would be screened as "Fumetti" comics (John Byrne's been doing those with Star Trek for IDW). So you get quite a bit of content in there if the Revelations, kids show, and She-Ra screenings get pulled from HD transfers to comics panels.

While I'm pipe dreaming, maybe that's even a format where Revenge of Faker could be developed with Eatock's artwork getting used for panels. I feel like a one off comic with a work for hire agreement might be more viable than issues posed by Eatock doing a fan film. All that works out to like 80 pages of content where the bulk of the work is lettering and photoshop panel layouts from stills.

I know it's too soon to decide but it might provide an alternative to cancellations from attendees. Maybe the book could be equivalent to a day pass and one autograph from one of the major guests per day purchased could be worked out.

I know, lots of folks to talk to. I'm not so much looking for an answer as offering an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    If the event were cancelled, would the exclusives still be offered?

It feels like they need to start production on them before we'll know the status of the convention. My sense is that these things can take 3-4 months.

I'd like to suggest an idea that a contingency be looked at where Powercon might essentially take the form of a book this year. Artwork intended for the shows, interviews, background pieces, maybe collections of the supplemental MOTUC bios, maybe PixelDan could be asked if there's anything on the cutting room floor. Plus maybe collections of the new minicomics for Origins, She-Ra, and MOTWWEU.

Dark Horse like most of the comics business is also likely feeling the pinch and maybe something could be worked out between DH, Mattel, and Powercon to do a "convention in book form".

Thinking through how you manage "a convention in a book", maybe you could even get clearance to adapt some of what would be screened as "Fumetti" comics (John Byrne's been doing those with Star Trek for IDW). So you get quite a bit of content in there if the Revelations, kids show, and She-Ra screenings get pulled from HD transfers to comics panels.

While I'm pipe dreaming, maybe that's even a format where Revenge of Faker could be developed with Eatock's artwork getting used for panels. I feel like a one off comic with a work for hire agreement might be more viable than issues posed by Eatock doing a fan film. All that works out to like 80 pages of content where the bulk of the work is lettering and photoshop panel layouts from stills.

I know it's too soon to decide but it might provide an alternative to cancellations from attendees. Maybe the book could be equivalent to a day pass and one autograph from one of the major guests per day purchased could be worked out.

I know, lots of folks to talk to. I'm not so much looking for an answer as offering an idea.
    You've presented a number of great alternative ideas and, coincidentally, similar ideas (along with others) are already being discussed with Mattel in case of a worst-case-scenario. I'm in constant communication with Mattel and they are very mindful of the well-being of fans and they continue to explore ways that fans can be delivered information and entertainment in a safe and exciting fashion.

In regards to the Attendee exclusives, the plan is to find a way to fulfill those pre-orders for people who still want them, as long as there's no changes in the logistics behind Power-Con receiving the exclusive product. That's not me suggesting something is happening in regards to the exclusives. I'm just being transparent about how things are constantly evolving and changing due to how the COVID-19 pandemic is impacting the world, so we never know what tomorrow may bring.
    That said, my initial prediction is that if a worst-case-scenario occurs, and Attendee exclusives need to be shipped for those who still want them, then it would most likely involve rolling the attendee ticket costs towards the cost of S/H and then Attendees would owe any remaining S/H balance. If that becomes a necessity then I'll have more details on that when the time comes. But I definitely hope that is not something we will need to address.

Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    You've presented a number of great alternative ideas and, coincidentally, similar ideas (along with others) are already being discussed with Mattel in case of a worst-case-scenario. I'm in constant communication with Mattel and they are very mindful of the well-being of fans and they continue to explore ways that fans can be delivered information and entertainment in a safe and exciting fashion.

In regards to the Attendee exclusives, the plan is to find a way to fulfill those pre-orders for people who still want them, as long as there's no changes in the logistics behind Power-Con receiving the exclusive product. That's not me suggesting something is happening in regards to the exclusives. I'm just being transparent about how things are constantly evolving and changing due to how the COVID-19 pandemic is impacting the world, so we never know what tomorrow may bring.
    That said, my initial prediction is that if a worst-case-scenario occurs, and Attendee exclusives need to be shipped for those who still want them, then it would most likely involve rolling the attendee ticket costs towards the cost of S/H and then Attendees would owe any remaining S/H balance. If that becomes a necessity then I'll have more details on that when the time comes. But I definitely hope that is not something we will need to address.
    For what it’s worth I wasn’t able to attend anyway this year and was going to buy the Lords of Power set at whatever price I had to. I would gladly purchase some sort of alternative product to be able to both support PowerCon and to be able to purchase that exclusive through PowerCon.

I understand we’re still too far out at the moment and hopefully there are some positive developments that make all this discussion moot.

Say what u want about Mattel, but, I just read they are making masks utilizing their Barbie fabric vendors.
    I think that says a lot.

Say what u want about Mattel, but, I just read they are making masks utilizing their Barbie fabric vendors.
    I think that says a lot.
    Here’s an article about that. They’re also prototyping face shields.

https://www.licenseglobal.com/analys...-barbie-fabric

Good job Mattel.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!