Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Power-Con 2020 - August 8 & 9 in Anaheim, California

Well, I'm in another country entirely. So I just find this discussion funny.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    Hopefully one day I can make it out, looks like fun .

I know this fanbase can be fickle and seemingly show disdain more so than appreciation more times than not, but kudos to you and all those who have helped to keep the brand alive and motoring along all these years ��.
    +1 on this

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Well, I'm in another country entirely. So I just find this discussion funny.
    You can go to Germany? Don't slam my ignorance, or pardon it, but don't you guys have a super train that goes in and out to germany?

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    Just gonna throw this out, Kansas is worse than California. There's a reason I spend my days reading, playing video games, and collecting toys, there's nothing to do here. Like, for real.

Sorry, it's just that the state thing came up, and I just wanted to complain.
    Yeah, but at least in Kansas you can buy a bottle of ketchup that doesn't have a giant warning label stating that California has determined that one of the ingredients within has been found to possibly cause birth defects in brine shrimp.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenskull View Post
    Vacation booked, hotel booked and flights booked. I guess I am going to my first PowerCon...
    That's awesome! I'm excited to see you there.

Also, as a heads up to everyone, like previous years the limit for each exclusive is probably going to be 10 of each per order.
    And before people start freaking out (as they do every year), I see no reason to worry.

I've gone back and looked at the sales data for every year we offered exclusives: 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019.
    Every year, the data is very similar.

Between Attendee and Non-Attendee orders (minus 2019 as we didn't do Non-Attendees ourselves last year),
    93% to 95% of all orders are 1 or 2 of each item,
    3% to 6% are for orders of 3 to 5 of each item,
    and the remaining 1% to 2% of orders are upwards of 10 of each item.
    A very small amount of customers order large quantities. And I know for a fact that some of those orders are fans helping out other fans.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    That's awesome! I'm excited to see you there.

Also, as a heads up to everyone, like previous years the limit for each exclusive is probably going to be 10 of each per order.
    And before people start freaking out (as they do every year), I see no reason to worry.

I've gone back and looked at the sales data for every year we offered exclusives: 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019.
    Every year, the data is very similar.

Between Attendee and Non-Attendee orders (minus 2019 as we didn't do Non-Attendees ourselves last year),
    93% to 95% of all orders are 1 or 2 of each item,
    3% to 6% are for orders of 3 to 5 of each item,
    and the remaining 1% to 2% of orders are upwards of 10 of each item.
    A very small amount of customers order large quantities. And I know for a fact that some of those orders are fans helping out other fans.
    I'm stoked to see the availability again for non attendees this year, given the new line. Are you shooting for a limit that will allow you to have stock on hand at the con? I'm hoping the presales won't sell out and allow those of us who can't attend to grab what we need.
    @thunder_punch_heman :Instagram
    @thunderpunchU : Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by He Man View Post
    I'm stoked to see the availability again for non attendees this year, given the new line. Are you shooting for a limit that will allow you to have stock on hand at the con? I'm hoping the presales won't sell out and allow those of us who can't attend to grab what we need.
    For Non-Attendee stock, and then what remains for customer service stock (which is what we pull out of for day-of-sale at the show, if possible), it all comes down to how pre-sales go. Origins is a complete unknown in regards to how it will perform. The SDCC 2-pack sold out at SDCC. But it was also a lot cheaper. For all I know, these might just sit there, unsold. So, we'll have to wait and see.
    Sorry it's not more specific!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

For Non-Attendee stock, and then what remains for customer service stock (which is what we pull out of for day-of-sale at the show, if possible), it all comes down to how pre-sales go. Origins is a complete unknown in regards to how it will perform. The SDCC 2-pack sold out at SDCC. But it was also a lot cheaper. For all I know, these might just sit there, unsold. So, we'll have to wait and see.
    Sorry it's not more specific!
    Definitely can't predict how well it will sell. I'm willing to bet it exceeds expectations.. as long as Mattel makes enough.. of something they don't have numbers on yet...
    @thunder_punch_heman :Instagram
    @thunderpunchU : Twitter

Heroic Warrior
    Definitely can't predict how well it will sell. I'm willing to bet it exceeds expectations.. as long as Mattel makes enough.. of something they don't have numbers on yet...
    I've got a feeling it'll do pretty well what with all the characters being A-Listers....well, that's unconfirmed of course, but y'know...we know who they are!
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

Does anyone that attended last year remember if any stall holders were selling boxed eternias and what they were asking/selling for?

Definitely can't predict how well it will sell. I'm willing to bet it exceeds expectations.. as long as Mattel makes enough.
    They are a limited, fixed number. So... I dunno. Maybe?
    If they were the price of the SDCC 2-pack, I think we'd sell out really quick. But at the higher prices, I don't think they'll sell out super fast. But, we'll find out. I could be completely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjoe View Post
    Does anyone that attended last year remember if any stall holders were selling boxed eternias and what they were asking/selling for?
    I wish I could tell you, but I have yet to get a chance to see all the things for sale at my own convention.

I have people inspecting the floor for me. It's as close as I've gotten so far. But they are looking for problems, not for gems, so not quite the same.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjoe View Post
    It's been a few years since I've been (2013 or 2014?) But the one dealer that had a boxed Eternia wanted $2,000 for it.

My impression then was that there were plenty of deals to be had on non-MOTU stuff, but anything MOTU related was priced at going eBay rates or higher, with a few notable exceptions. For example, I picked up a complete run of carded Kenner Aliens for about 2 bucks a figure, but I paid $60 for a boxed Skeletor coin bank. They were selling on eBay for about $40 at the time, but this one was in slightly better condition than I had seen recently. I saw a few boxed Starship Eternias priced at $500 when the going rate at the time was about half that. I was able to complete my Star Comics MOTU run at typical SDCC convention prices.

Things may have changed in the interim, hopefully someone else can chime in to that effect.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    My impression then was that there were plenty of deals to be had on non-MOTU stuff, but anything MOTU related was priced at going eBay rates or higher, with a few notable exceptions. For example, I picked up a complete run of carded Kenner Aliens for about 2 bucks a figure, but I paid $60 for a boxed Skeletor coin bank. They were selling on eBay for about $40 at the time, but this one was in slightly better condition than I had seen recently. I saw a few boxed Starship Eternias priced at $500 when the going rate at the time was about half that. I was able to complete my Star Comics MOTU run at typical SDCC convention prices.

Things may have changed in the interim, hopefully someone else can chime in to that effect.
    Based on everything I've seen first-hand and shows, and heard about from others, what you said is accurate for a number of vendors: convention prices tend to be at eBay prices or sometimes slightly higher.
    But keep in mind that vendors know people will often price check online. So you can always have the option to haggle on price, especially if you're buying multiple items (personally, I love to haggle. You should have seen me in India). You also have the benefit of inspecting the item in person, and you don't have to pay shipping. So there's good things to an on-the-spot convention purchase.

Based on everything I've seen first-hand and shows, and heard about from others, what you said is accurate for a number of vendors: convention prices tend to be at eBay prices or sometimes slightly higher.
    But keep in mind that vendors know people will often price check online. So you can always have the option to haggle on price, especially if you're buying multiple items (personally, I love to haggle. You should have seen me in India). You also have the benefit of inspecting the item in person, and you don't have to pay shipping. So there's good things to an on-the-spot convention purchase.
    That's very true regarding haggling, especially so on the last day. Dealers would rather walk away with slightly less cash than have to pack stuff back up and drive it home or back to their store.

I picked up the Blackstar Ice Castle playset at the first Power Con for about 30% less than asking price for that reason. I said "wouldn't you rather take a little less instead of having the hassle of packing this back up and possibly destroying it in transit?" She thought for a second and said "sure." For those that aren't familiar with it, the Ice Castle is notoriously fragile and nearly impossible to find in good shape.

And one thing I'd like to add is that unlike many cons I've attended, the dealers at Power Con were always friendly and outgoing. I only met one "Comic Book Guy" type there, which is pretty remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post

Hmmm... I picked up a 200x Snake Armor He-Man for $10 That goes for about $90 on eBay.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    Hmmm... I picked up a 200x Snake Armor He-Man for $10 That goes for about $90 on eBay.
    That's one heck of a deal!

Hmmmm one of the exclusives is an articulated POP She-Ra...?

Rooted hair? Fabric costume? Or all plastic? That sword in the teaser looks like He-Mans....

Or will this be a Filmation She-Ra in Origins style?

I need answers

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Hmmmm one of the exclusives is an articulated POP She-Ra...?

Rooted hair? Fabric costume? Or all plastic? That sword in the teaser looks like He-Mans....

Or will this be a Filmation She-Ra in Origins style?

I need answers
    Definitely vintage toy, she has the toilet seat

oh my GOD I cannot believe you just called it that...!

Show some respect for the vintage style!

Heroic Warrior
    Just saw the price.my kid would go in free, so i might attend. Anything for kids this year? Looking forward for the origins lords of power set.

Heroic Warrior
    I hope that the 5 pack is packaged similar to the commemorative series 5 pack - each figure being individually carded
    Having the Lords of Power on the cards - that would be awesome

Since I'm in Europe I hope I will be lucky enough to grab a lords of power pack via bbts. I was lucky to get me a horde zombie He-man this way
    Not a fan of exclusives at all, (I've never been, I like a figure for its character/design/nostalgia etc and not about its exclusivity) most of them are just too hard to optain and many end up in the hands of scalpers for eBay.

That being said, I completely understand the reasoning and ideas behind the exclusivity for this set for powercon.
    PlayStation 4 owner? Join our Masters of the Universe community with 3k members.

Quote Originally Posted by 0RK0 View Post
    Not a fan of exclusives at all, (I've never been, I like a figure for its character/design/nostalgia etc and not about its exclusivity) most of them are just too hard to optain and many end up in the hands of scalpers for eBay.

That being said, I completely understand the reasoning and ideas behind the exclusivity for this set for powercon.
    And I appreciate your criticism while also being understanding.
    If someone hates exclusives, I'd never want them to pretend like they do. But I hope everyone will also consider the reasons they happen, even if they will not endorse their existence.

Little teaser of the Power Con exclusives? Far right:

dan-val-toyguide-proofing_full.jpg

Good catch!!! Didn’t even notice that. Dang this is gonna be nice for us early lore MOTU fans. They even got the purple rocks.
    Gaping holes in my collection: Origins SDCC 2019 2 Pack, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

Just a bit of a clarifying question -- since Power-Con doesn't have Classics related exclusives, will there be a new forum for Origins? I visited this thread from the main page initially, but when I tried to find it I was confused on where to look. I thought maybe New Media, but it wasn't there. I know this forum category has (2008 - ?) as a side-bar, but as Origins starts to become more prevalent, will there be an Origins forum specifically?
    This could be the end of the world.. of warcraft.