Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Power-Con 2020 - August 8 & 9 in Anaheim, California

Considering that She-Ra was not going to be a part of origins line, I gotta say well done to Power Con for finding a way for the Princess of MOTU to be included in this line. I'm happy to pay an increased price to ensure She-Ra is involved. Here I was thinking I would not be hopping on board with this line....Now She-Ra has hopefully come into play...that may well be changing.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baedal View Post
    Yes, they are the "Lords of Power Collection". I also thought that Power-Con would be the only place where we would have new MOTUC figures, I'm very disappointed, I hope they will surprise us with something.
    It was stated already in December 2019 that there won‘t be any Classics figures in 2020, especially not as Power-Con Exclusives: https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...=1#post3864191
    News editor on PlanetEternia.de, the No. 1 German Masters of the Universe website
    Part of "Das HE-MANische Quartett", the No. 1 German Masters of the Universe podcast

Quote Originally Posted by modulok02 View Post
    Can't imagine the price @ second market after sold out)
    Hard to say. As an example, the SDCC Origins 2-Pack is going for around $150.00 on eBay.
    For the Power-Con exclusives, it will depend on if these sell out to Attendees first. That has never happened in the past with other exclusives, but Origins is a new game. It depends more on how much attendance increases for 2020. But a lot of Attendees don't buy exclusives, so there's that to consider as well. Also, the higher price tag will affect how fast they sell to Attendees..
    We'll certainly offer these up to Non-Attendees as always, if we have stock remaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    Any reason for the high pricing?
    Partly because they are a limited run, and partly because they help fund Power-Con.

Charge more for tickets, if that's the case. Choose a more central location where more folks can attend.
    Moving to a "more central location" (which I'm assuming you mean like midwest USA) would cause us to double the ticket price, or more. I've talked about this several times before. A big part of why Power-Con is in California is because Mattel, a number of licensed vendors, and many of the guests are located there. Getting them out to another location is going to require a heavy expense. And still, we'd need exclusives to help fund the event, because those increased ticket prices will hurt us (see the next paragraph).

As far as increasing the ticket price in California, we have a fair amount of casual fans attending. Increasing the price tag on tickets will decrease attendance, as we have to stay competitive with other conventions and local events/attractions in order to keep the casual fans (who also rarely buy exclusives) coming in the door. So that's not an option as it will do little to help. Sorry.

If you have time, please do a search to see what BotCon charged in years past for exclusives. They didn't always come in nice packaging, and their mark-up was heavy. And they already had a much larger attendance than Power-Con due to the greater popularity of Transformers and the interest thanks to the movies. Even with having a more-attended show, they needed that mark-up to help pay for everything, including the more limited run of those exclusives and to help with the fact it was a traveling event.

Quote Originally Posted by Baedal View Post
    Yes, they are the "Lords of Power Collection". I also thought that Power-Con would be the only place where we would have new MOTUC figures, I'm very disappointed, I hope they will surprise us with something.
    melkor23 summed it up.
    Sorry Baedal.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

I’m Potter excited by all of these. I’m definitely going to want She-Ra, and I’d love to get the set, but it is pricey (for reasons I support and agree with). I’ll decide for certain after seeing how Toy Fair shakes out.

IF that lost that’s circulating has any truth to the Exclusive packs, we could get close enough to some of this for me. I already told myself I won’t go all-in on Origins.
    Last edited by Uki; February 9, 2020 at 10:10am.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Heroic Warrior
    I honestly can't decide if I should go for the five pack. Like, they sound really cool, and Powercon stuff seems to be a good investment (I don't plan on selling, but life is a fickle beast, so if these save my ass someday in addition to looking pretty on a shelf, I won't complain).

Well, obviously Iím saddened by no classics, but this was known last year. The price of power-con exclusives never turned me off. In the scheme of things they are priced quite low compared to other convention exclusives. Plus this is a great way to advance the brand. Again, my absolute fear of flying will prevent me from attending one of these. Honestly I want to go to a power-con more than Disney. That said, it makes me happy I can help support the con and makes me feel connected. Thatís why I love the videos and pics from this event.

Val, will any left over stock be on bbts like years past?

And what are these hot wheels I read about?
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    The SDCC Origins 2 pack started around $80 on eBay and inflated over time to current prices.

Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    Val, will any left over stock be on bbts like years past?
    As I mentioned above, it just depends on how Attendee sales go. If we sell out during those first two weeks of Attendee pre-sales, then no.
    In the past we've always ended up with Non-Attendee stock. But, while I wish I could say there will be Non-Attendee stock for 2020, I have no idea what to expect from Origins.
    The SDCC 2-pack sold out at SDCC. BUT, it was a far cheaper item. So.... I dunno. It's anyone's guess at this point.

And what are these hot wheels I read about?
    No info yet. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by AntiEternia He-Man View Post
    The SDCC Origins 2 pack started around $80 on eBay and inflated over time to current prices.
    That's true. It started high, and only went higher.
    As fans get them into their collections, fewer are out there to buy, thus driving up the prices. Much like any of the rarer items of past MOTU lines.
    Given the quantity produced for Power-Con Origins, the same may hold true. But, just depends on who will put down 40.00 and 200.00 per item. Obviously the more expensive, the fewer people will buy it initially.

I wish we could have a Snake Mountain type item. In theory, not realistically. It's too expensive for a con exclusive.
    But, that's an item that's going to skyrocket in value as the years pass due to how limited it was!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

Fan convention exclusives always tend to run higher due to the limited productions isn’t really new. See previous BotCon and Joecon exclusives, some of the Joe figures were $40-50 for an old style 3 3/4” figure and they sold out at the show. Vehicles were worse. So I’m not really sticker shocked by the prices. That being said, if you were going to not have any Classics at a Power Con, a deep deep cut like this on a vintage style body is the way to go. I bought MOTU figures the very first time I seen them in a Service Merchandise (Beastman and was able swing enough for He-Man as well) so I completely favour the pre-cartoon, savage, mini comic canon for any of these. Origins still seems like it doesn’t know what it wants to be as a toy line but these exclusives have been fantastic so far. I’ve been following the awesome Battle Ram Blog since last year it’s really incredible how much he’s dug up on the history of this line. He also has an entry on the Lords of Power with pretty detailed pics.

I really do dig what I’m seeing compared to the Protos. Trying to break down my thoughts on these.

He-Man: the figure was pretty much exact to what we have with the SDCC one. Don’t know how exact these silhouettes are but they do look pretty exact. No boot knife, maybe a different axe. The only thing that seems off is the one bare arm with no bracer. They do have bare arms on The Sting WWE mash up figure. Don’t know if it’s a gonna have a new head but the vintage toy would work fine.

Man-At-Arms: here’s where things get interesting. He has the more pointy helmet, maybe with the antenna and green lizard mark on the side. The chest armour looks to have the fur on the side and a more accurate mace. Looks like some detail on the gauntlet hand, maybe painted to match the armour. Boot knife which the proto didn’t have but the Mark Taylor drawing did.

Skeletor: probably not much different from the looks of it. Maybe new head. Boots look different from the regular figure. Maybe the bat on the armour coloured yellowish.

Beastman: those large spikey shoulder pads, wrist gauntlets. Maybe the waist armour from the drawing and proto. Now the real question is he the proto / toy colours or the red Beastman from the drawings?

Mer Man: Looks like the long gloves and dangling pieces from the waist armour. Probably going to have a really cool head.

She-Ra: Looks awesome so far. Unified sword, the shoulder frill, maybe long skirt. If she adheres to Axel’s amazing promo art, she’s gonna rock!! Only thing I’m not crazy about would be rooted hair.
    We’re not sure if these have any extras but if she included a more toy style sword or a sculpted hair head along with rooted would make her a perfect figure.

Yeah I’m pretty jazzed for these. I’ve collected Classics from the beginning and it’s been one of the most near perfect toy lines ever made. If I didn’t have some interest in Origins, I could still see grabbing these to coexist with my Classics based on nostalgia. I honestly thought we might be getting some of the first non vintage toy line figures like a repainted Teela into the Green Goddess or a retooled He-Man into King Grayskull or something like that.

Val, a couple of questions if you can answer them at this point. If not, totally understandable.

1) Did you and the Power Con brain trust push to do these or did Mattel make the suggestions or directed these to be the exclusives?

2) Do these include the extra hands like the previous exclusive set? Do they have some accessories not pictured?

Thanks
    Last edited by hlinhk128; February 8, 2020 at 05:36pm.
    Gaping holes in my collection: Origins SDCC 2019 2 Pack, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by hlinhk128 View Post
    Did you and the Power Con brain trust push to do these or did Mattel make the suggestions or directed these to be the exclusives?
    Mattel came up with these. They also came up with the 2019 exclusives.
    They've picked some cool stuff!

Do these include the extra hands like the previous exclusive set? Do they have some accessories not pictured?
    We'll have to wait for the official reveal on that one. Sorry! Wish I could say more right now.

I sure don’t like jumping through the hoops for these con exclusives for all the reasons mentioned by others and I seriously hope this is a fad that goes away at some point.

That said it’s time to start squirreling away the cash now ladies and gentlemen.

A few bucks a month and you’ll have the money when the time comes.

I sure don’t like jumping through the hoops for these con exclusives for all the reasons mentioned by others and I seriously hope this is a fad that goes away at some point.
    Exclusives have been part of MOTU since the 200x relaunch with the He-Man statue at SDCC in 2001, and long before that with other toys lines. So unless two decades of exclusives a slow-burning fad, I think you can count on them always being part of collecting.

Heroic Warrior
    Val,
    Will the packaging be revealed once the figures are revealed?
    Just curious if the 5 pack will be packaged together or possibly individually carded?

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Exclusives have been part of MOTU since the 200x relaunch ....

And they've been a pain ever since.

Hey I got an idea! Val, why don't you start a list of every member who wants the exclusives but can't go to the convention. What could go wrong? It worked great last time with Keldor!!

Quote Originally Posted by Powersword123 View Post
    Val,
    Will the packaging be revealed once the figures are revealed?
    Just curious if the 5 pack will be packaged together or possibly individually carded?
    We probably won't show the packaging until the day before pre-sales begin.
    If I can do it earlier, I certainly will.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Hey I got an idea! Val, why don't you start a list of every member who wants the exclusives but can't go to the convention. What could go wrong? It worked great last time with Keldor!!
    I worked really hard and was able to help out a lot of fans with Keldor, so I'm not sure what you're getting at there.
    And I still have those numbers. For both domestic and international fans, 461 who didn't attend SDCC or Wizard World Chicago expressed interest and I fulfilled all orders that were paid. And with the Power-Con Non-Attendee option since 2016, we were able to satisfy all requests.
    I can't promise that for 2020, but so far so good with prior instances. I can't guarantee success every time, but I try my best!

Exclusives have been part of MOTU since the 200x relaunch with the He-Man statue at SDCC in 2001, and long before that with other toys lines. So unless two decades of exclusives a slow-burning fad, I think you can count on them always being part of collecting.
    I don’t count on anything as being an “always.”

But for now we’re stuck with it so we need to make the best of it.

I don’t count on anything as being an “always.”
    Death and taxes.

Death and taxes.
    *Shakes fist*

You win lol.

I’m looking forward to seeing some pics of the figs. This will be a good year for MOTU.

Death and taxes.
    Death.... you can refuse taxes..
    @thunder_punch_heman :Instagram
    @thunderpunchU : Twitter

Soooooooo, two questions:

How can I get these if I cannot attend PowerCon this year, and how much will it cost to ship them (in the U.S.)??

You might even say as early as 1981 and the original promotion for Wonder Bread He-Man!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Heroic Warrior
    As I mentioned above, it just depends on how Attendee sales go. If we sell out during those first two weeks of Attendee pre-sales, then no.
    In the past we've always ended up with Non-Attendee stock. But, while I wish I could say there will be Non-Attendee stock for 2020, I have no idea what to expect from Origins.
    The SDCC 2-pack sold out at SDCC. BUT, it was a far cheaper item. So.... I dunno. It's anyone's guess at this point.

No info yet. Sorry!

That's true. It started high, and only went higher.
    As fans get them into their collections, fewer are out there to buy, thus driving up the prices. Much like any of the rarer items of past MOTU lines.
    Given the quantity produced for Power-Con Origins, the same may hold true. But, just depends on who will put down 40.00 and 200.00 per item. Obviously the more expensive, the fewer people will buy it initially.

I wish we could have a Snake Mountain type item. In theory, not realistically. It's too expensive for a con exclusive.
    But, that's an item that's going to skyrocket in value as the years pass due to how limited it was!
    Without knowing the exact economics, could you do a vintage Snake Mountain retool as the originally planned Jungle playset?

A plastic shell is certainly cheaper, more on par with a 2-3 pack of Funko’s Pop Towns as opposed to the S7 offerings.

Maybe HALF the jungle playset shell one year and half another?

Heroic Warrior
    I hope that Origins She-Ra doesn’t only see release as an overseas convention exclusive (like 200X She-Ra).
    Last edited by Haephestus; February 9, 2020 at 06:53pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    How can I get these if I cannot attend PowerCon this year, and how much will it cost to ship them (in the U.S.)??
    All we know has been posted on the Power-Con site.

You might even say as early as 1981 and the original promotion for Wonder Bread He-Man!
    I was talking specifically about unique retail or convention exclusives, but you're right! Mailaway exclusives have existed for years. Not Savage He-Man, as we found out that was never offered from Wonderbread. But, they did have some unique packaging in terms of 2-packs, and 3-packs, etc, or bonus items like Man-E-Weapons or the Horde 2-pack with the book and audio tape. So, that mean retailer exclusives have also existed from the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    Without knowing the exact economics, could you do a vintage Snake Mountain retool as the originally planned Jungle playset?
    I can't say. For 2020 and 2019, Mattel came to us with the exclusive options we could do. We couldn't choose between things. It was either use the few that were presented, use only 1 or 2 of them, or use none of them.

But, Mattel has been picking what I feel have been great exclusives. And I'm thrilled they are offering them, and I am extremely grateful that they are supporting the show.
    So, when it comes to something like Snake Mountain offered through Power-Con, that would be completely up to Mattel.

While I like the idea of the exclusives, the cost is pretty high for the sets compared to what the sdcc set was last year and what the figures will retail for.
    cogito ergo doleo

Perfect! Thanks!!

I was talking specifically about unique retail or convention exclusives, but you're right! Mailaway exclusives have existed for years. Not Savage He-Man, as we found out that was never offered from Wonderbread. But, they did have some unique packaging in terms of 2-packs, and 3-packs, etc, or bonus items like Man-E-Weapons or the Horde 2-pack with the book and audio tape. So, that mean retailer exclusives have also existed from the 80s.
    Very true.

I actually have a hard time thinking of a mainstream toyline that didn't offer some type of exclusive/mail-away/bonus at some point in its run.

G.I. Joe had many, but my favorites were "The Fridge" and the "Create-a-figure" that was unique to you.

Mummy Mumm-Ra was cool too...

Transformers offered a mail-away exclusive Jazz figure...

Kenner was the master of Mail-Away... they had originally offered Bossk as an exclusive before Empire was released in theaters, and they offered an exclusive Clark Kent in their Super Powers line.

And more recently, Kenner offered the "ambush predator" figure which was a mail away transparent predator figure with a silver helmet and exclusive weapon.

Among many, many others...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!