Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 183 - Pros and cons of online fandom

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 183 - Pros and cons of online fandom

Episode 183 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter and Daniel Benedict are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode they discuss
    COPPA,
    Daniel's big news,
    the pros and cons of fandom,
    the evolution of online communication,
    negative comments on social media,
    letting negativity affect enjoying your hobby,
    attachment to childhood memories,
    criticism as a consumer,
    getting crabby with age,
    coexisting,
    and much more!

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Recorded on November 21, 2019
    Runtime: 1 hour, 23 minutes, 56 seconds

Direct link for Episode 183

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

I just listened to the whole thing and I have to say:
    How dare you, say my opinion does not matter. Do you have any idea who I am? My mom thinks I'm cool! And I once scored genius level on a Facebook history quiz.
    How dare you say that I should not be outraged because someone is different than me.
    Now when I cry myself to sleep tonight I will actually have a reason. lol

Anyway yeah, people including myself at times get carried away online.
    I think it is time to explore the mythos beyond the time of SOH, or maybe I will eat a taco, either way I'm good.

Heroic Warrior AlternativeMindz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Ro Eats Soup View Post
    I just listened to the whole thing and I have to say:
    How dare you, say my opinion does not matter. Do you have any idea who I am? My mom thinks I'm cool! And I once scored genius level on a Facebook history quiz.
    How dare you say that I should not be outraged because someone is different than me.
    Now when I cry myself to sleep tonight I will actually have a reason. lol

Anyway yeah, people including myself at times get carried away online.
    Greatest thing all day lmao

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

In response to your commentary on the prototype in relation to the actual product. The main reason why people complain when items don't come out as planned or advertised is because some actually DO come out spot on so that alone makes people think it IS possible all the time if the effort is truly put in.

Once that happens, it plants the seed in peoples head that it "can" be done so why isn't it all the time. Did the factory drop the ball? Was something lost in translation? Did people get lazy all of a sudden? What happened?

It also doesn't help, and I'm not going to name any companies, but there are some lines/companies that do seem to have a much better track record of pumping out product that is REALLY close to the protos. Again, that just reinforces the fact that it can be done, but for whatever reason isn't.

Once you're at the price points that we're at, along with the demographic, it's just natural that people are going to expect premium products.
    Last edited by Riddle of Steel; November 30, 2019 at 03:32am.

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    This episode felt like some love letter to the whole community,
    and I agree to most of the points covered about the social medias.

By the way, and if I'm allowed to of course, I'd like to share a short musical break regarding that issue.
    This song raises awareness about how damaging social medias can be when misused or when people get tricked with their own egos etc.

Hope you guys like it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOJnIpascj0
    NEW ALBUM "STORIES UNTOLD" OUT NOW!
    Available on: Itunes Store / Apple Music & Amazon
    More info here: https://www.facebook.com/glenlarocheofficiel
    Listen the single "Sometimes ... Something" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZCUBWFNASk

Quote Originally Posted by Riddle of Steel View Post
    It also doesn't help, and I'm not going to name any companies, but there are some lines/companies that do seem to have a much better track record of pumping out product that is REALLY close to the protos.
    I don't think it hurts to name who gets close to the prototypes.
    If you would, I think it would be nice to hear the companies whose final product is really close to the prototypes shown at conventions or online

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOneSkeletor View Post
    This episode felt like some love letter to the whole community,
    In a way, yes. At least that was part of the point of the episode: gratitude to all the fans who are great, and a fondness for when we all coexist in our fandom.
    :tgrin:
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I don't think it hurts to name who gets close to the prototypes.
    If you would, I think it would be nice to hear the companies whose final product is really close to the prototypes shown at conventions or online

In a way, yes. At least that was part of the point of the episode: gratitude to all the fans who are great, and a fondness for when we all coexist in our fandom.
    :tgrin:
    I’m not Riddle, but NECA’s various TMNT lines come out looking like the prototype, especially their JW Toon line. For the most part, the in hand items look exactly like the convention sneak peeks (although they could use more articulation)

That being said, outside of the ab crunch and paint colors, I think Mattel and S7’s MOTUC figures look really close to the prototypes too. Filmation Man-at-arms, for example, came out just as amazing as the prototype picture (except for the ab crunch).

Also, Val, you never have the .org’s search service running, so we can’t search for posts before we re-post. :P So, you’re going to have to expect re-posts.

Anyway, great podcast as usual, thanks so much for taking the time to put this together. I really appreciate it, and look forward to it each week.

Quote Originally Posted by Creedog View Post
    Also, Val, you never have the .org’s search service running, so we can’t search for posts before we re-post. :P So, you’re going to have to expect re-posts.
    It's only been down for the past few months and the mods aren't saying anything to anyone while it's not working. They are just merging / moving until it's back up.

It's an old site. Stuff breaks, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Creedog View Post
    Filmation Man-at-arms, for example, came out just as amazing as the prototype picture (except for the ab crunch).
    And it's stuff like this that makes people scratch their head. S7's MAA turned out great and was as advertised. I'm not a hardcore Mythic Legions guy, but the 4H's line stays pretty true to what you see and expect no? On a lesser price point, but pretty true to what's advertised is also Marvel Legends and Star Wars Black I'd say.

I think negativity, doomsaying, etc. are part of any fandom really. Whether it’s sports or toys, you’ll always find people that ‘fanboy/girl’ over everything and anything, you’ll always find those who are always looking for something to complain about and you’ll have level headed folks and so many more different personalities on that spectrum.

The internet has just made it so much easier for people with these extreme aspects of their personalities to voice their opinion. But I’m sure those people have always existed!

The biggest side-effect of the web is the effect it’s had on our patience (instant gratification) and attention spans. But fundamentally I don’t think the personality profiles have changed really. Of course, you always have those people that will talk big on the web but are nice like a kitten in real life (although kittens can be nasty too; maybe a puppy is a better example!).

- - - Updated - - -

Val makes a good point about people with the more extreme opinions being the most vocal. But I also think itís bad to just brush that off as ďoh itís just a vocal minorityĒ, see how that has worked out for the WWE or Disney re: Star Wars.

Like I said, I think Valís point is valid, but I think itís important to continue looking for the merit in peopleís criticisms.

Yeah, I'll echo the voices above who said basically anything that NECA puts out looks as good or better than the finished product. I'm sure there are exceptions, but overall with NECA what they show is what they deliver. The same goes for most Hasbro Star Wars: The Black Series releases and Marvel Legends. Mattel is bad about usually having product come out that varies a great deal from the finished product. Kotobukiya is really good about putting out finished items that looks like their prototypes. Those ones jump out at me off the top of my head.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

wow, just realised i haven't been active on here in so very long. just listend to the roast gooble and thought i needed to get back on the org.
    while the episode felt a bit negative it isnt how i tend to thing of he-man and the community. i love watching pixel dan videos and when the goobles started back i always look forward to a new one. my impression of the org has largelly always bene that it is open and positive. sometimes the arguments and points do get fanatitical but it is a fan site. and that has its good and bad sides.
    my plan for the new year will eb to join in the forums much more than i have in teh past as attending powercon is just too expenssive (im in the UK)

i feel as a huge he-fan that some of the recent versiosn have not always been as clost to my heat as the originals but i still get so excited to see the new she-ra show and seeing some of the toys back in the shops. the idea of a film coming out is fantastic. for MOTU to live on it needs to grow with new generations. I have loved all the dark horse books and find the new bios great fun. the prospect of getting a monster size snake mountain is also so cool. i feel my passion for he-man gives me far more excitmentand fun than it gives me the occaional bit of frustation or annoyance.
    keep up the great work and hopefully in the new year i shall be on here more

are there many uk fans on here?

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    I liked Daniel's point about if we all were disconnected from social media for six months, people would probably be friendlier and more appreciative of each other. There is way too much information out there of people's personal lives, political views, opinions, complaints, etc... I unsubscribe from all that. TMI. It's nice to have some mystery amongst friends and family. I don't need to know what you had for lunch, and vice versa, lol.

For the individuals who always praise or always complain, there is probably something much deeper that is wrong with them to constantly do that, and I kinda feel sorry for them.

As customers and fans, it serves best to use good manners with any criticism. You can get farther with sugar that salt. Customer feedback is very important, especially with niche lines. I'm glad both Mattel and Super7 have interacted with fans in the past at cons or via Q&A's. We just need to use good manners as we would at work or with friends. Ultimately, I just want cool looking and well made collector toys!

Really appreciate this episode! I'm not too worried about any one particular individual's opinion but...something like this podcast, hearing from you all...I feel that represents the best and truest of this community. And it's a good conversation to have. It matters.

As someone who is gay...you don't really get used to hearing that someone hates you, judges you, spits vitriol about you (by association, by definition, by whatever) and you can definitely feel unwelcome; I have avoided certain threads and conversations on this site. It's not surprising of course, but I'm not going to seek it out.

I come here wanting to share this unreasonable love for MOTU with other people who feel the same because that's really NOT my close friend group and I really appreciate how my interests bring me into contact with a broader range of people who I wouldn't have otherwise sought out.

And that's true for the general toy collecting community online. It can be FANTASTIC. I really enjoy the mix of people from so many different backgrounds sharing what they love...that's the best part of it all. There's toxic stuff, there's a general negativity that can cloud things which is tiring, but overall...it's a very positive part of my life.