Thread: Netflix's "The Toys That Made Us"

Court Magician

Toys That Made Us Season 3. When will it be on netflix?

Im just curious as to when Season 3 of Toys That Made us will be on netflix?

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by urrutiap View Post
    Im just curious as to when Season 3 of Toys That Made us will be on netflix?

I believe that it should be available in August.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYGALAXY View Post
    I believe that it should be available in August.

Anyone know what toys they're going with this time?

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Anyone know what toys they're going with this time?
    Power Rangers
    Wrestling
    My Little Pony
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar

Netflix's "The Toys That Made Us"

Wow, what a cool series! I know some of you other guys must be watching this.

I don't have Netflix, but over Thanksgiving weekend at my parents' my mom and I watched the episodes on He-Man and MLP. Great stuff! (though in the MLP episode, I was surprised no mention was made of the "Big Brother Ponies" with the bigger bodies and big ol' Clydesdale hooves). And it was very cool to see James and Val in the He-Man episode. Way to represent, guys! (You have the power!)

I'd love to see them do episodes on The Care Bears, which I was very much into, and Strawberry Shortcake, which my sister was.

Also, apologies if there is already a thread on this here, but the search feature on the boards hasn't worked for a number of weeks now (at least for me, anyway---I get an error every time I try).
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

If you have the chance, watch this too. This one actually brought tears to my eyes through the entire show.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80224167

The Power of Grayskull: The Definitive History of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by manowar View Post
    If you have the chance, watch this too. This one actually brought tears to my eyes through the entire show.

The Power of Grayskull: The Definitive History of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
    Oh yes, I did see that in this fall when I was at my parents. My mom watched that with me too, lol. It was really great!
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

I loved that too, but at the end I felt profoundly sad because it feels like Motu is something that won't last for generations like Superman, Batman, Starwars, etc... I hope I'm wrong, but I couldn't shake the feeling that Motu was a product of a specific generation that does not resonate with other generations well...

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    I loved that too, but at the end I felt profoundly sad because it feels like Motu is something that won't last for generations like Superman, Batman, Starwars, etc... I hope I'm wrong, but I couldn't shake the feeling that Motu was a product of a specific generation that does not resonate with other generations well...
    I think Classics had its opportunity to appeal to a whole new generation, but because it was a "collector's" line, it was limited. I see countless people sharing the MOTUC figures with their children. It's exciting to see the toys getting played with. I think if it were a little less expensive, and released in stores, it would have been a favorite, and more kids would have been playing with them. I wonder how the Origins line will shape up.

Yeah I’ve been really enjoying the series. TMNT episode in the new season was a great inspiration for crownd funding one’s own IP.

This is such a great series. The things they had to do to get the toys to the store shelves were really interesting. We would never know that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Palazzolor View Post
    This is such a great series. The things they had to do to get the toys to the store shelves were really interesting. We would never know that stuff.
    What saddens me is that with out a chain like Toys R Us to take chances on line like MotU, GI Joe, TMNT, or any new line without a movie- we may never see toy lines like the 80s ever again. The idea that a kid could be walking down an aisle and come upon something like Skeletor, Snake Eyes, Shredder etc and day to him/herself- “Hey this looks cool” is lost on Etailers. It doesn’t bode well for upstart toy lines.

I've only watched the TMNT episode from the new season (I don't care about wrestling or PR, but I might give MLP a watch because my kiddo likes it). Seeing Eastman and Laird together again, even though it was manufactured and probably won't rekindle their friendship the way I'd like it to, was magical. I actually teared up a bit.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    What saddens me is that with out a chain like Toys R Us to take chances on line like MotU, GI Joe, TMNT, or any new line without a movie- we may never see toy lines like the 80s ever again. The idea that a kid could be walking down an aisle and come upon something like Skeletor, Snake Eyes, Shredder etc and day to him/herself- “Hey this looks cool” is lost on Etailers. It doesn’t bode well for upstart toy lines.
    The truth of the matter though is that toys as "we" know them are essentially dying with our generation anyway. It's sad, but the truth. The "physical" toy store void is just the first step in it all phasing out over time. It won't be anytime soon, but once we get older and stop buying it, e-tailers that specialize in this stuff will be the next victim.

I agree that not having toy stores really impacts what kids become interested in. I saw a kid with a He-man figure at school. When I saw them at the store, I asked my mom if I could get 1. My collection started with Man-e-faces.

It was the big displays at Toys R Us that got me excited because they had the new figures. If you found one, you'd flip it over and see what else was coming out. It became your most wanted list

Seeing it in person has a big impact. You can market it as much as you want, but putting it in a child's hands is what gets them excited about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddle of Steel View Post
    The truth of the matter though is that toys as "we" know them are essentially dying with our generation anyway. It's sad, but the truth. The "physical" toy store void is just the first step in it all phasing out over time. It won't be anytime soon, but once we get older and stop buying it, e-tailers that specialize in this stuff will be the next victim.
    Agreed, regretfully.

And I'm sure there are not shortage of folks with their two cents worth of reasons why. One thing that I have noticed is that parents of today's children of toy buying age seem to be too self absorbed to share in the experience with their kids. My parents are normies but could tell you what were the hot items from 78-86. They knew because they were out there tracking them down for us and cheered when a hard to find item was found. My parents weren't into toys but were selfless enough to make us happy and sacrificed their time to get the stuff. Today's parents seem to have their heads too far up their rear ends to do what our parents did back then.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree that not having toy stores really impacts what kids become interested in. I saw a kid with a He-man figure at school. When I saw them at the store, I asked my mom if I could get 1. My collection started with Man-e-faces.

It was the big displays at Toys R Us that got me excited because they had the new figures. If you found one, you'd flip it over and see what else was coming out. It became your most wanted list

Seeing it in person has a big impact. You can market it as much as you want, but putting it in a child's hands is what gets them excited about it.

Heck yes. Card backs and inserts is what we coveted. I came across most of the 80s toy lines at TRU in person. It wasn't until usually year two that I'd see commercials on TV.

Agreed, regretfully.

And I'm sure there are not shortage of folks with their two cents worth of reasons why. One thing that I have noticed is that parents of today's children of toy buying age seem to be too self absorbed to share in the experience with their kids. My parents are normies but could tell you what were the hot items from 78-86. They knew because they were out there tracking them down for us and cheered when a hard to find item was found. My parents weren't into toys but were selfless enough to make us happy and sacrificed their time to get the stuff. Today's parents seem to have their heads too far up their rear ends to do what our parents did back then.
    Parents have their own interests, like video games, that they try to share with their kids. Honestly, I can get deep into a game myself. Electronics are expensive, systems, phones, TV'S, computers...physical toys are being replaced with apps. You get a tablet and some games, put it in front of a kid, and you distract them for a while.

The whole creativity that comes from playing with toys and inventing your own stories and using your imagination isn't being done because you can be spoon fed a story through a video game.

Agreed, regretfully.

Here's an excellent example of this theory already at work. I'm not a big "Train Guy," but my dad LOVES them as that's what was big during HIS generation. This past weekend I rode shotgun along side him to a show in support.

If any of you have ever heard of or been to "Greenberg's Train Shows" you know what I'm talking about as they have them all over the place several times per year.

Now while the show was fairly large with a huge turnout, the demographics were absurdly lopsided. About 85, YES 85% of the attendees there in both dealer and shopper were age 60+, with a good portion I'd say 70+.

What happens to the train industry once those guys are gone for good? Simple, it goes bye bye. The toy/model train industry took it's hits YEARS ago, but surprisingly there's still a loyal following. Only problem....like I said, they're 60+ for the most part and there's VERY little younger blood up and coming to take their spots.

Once those guys go, they'll sadly take what ever's left along side with them. Trains were HUGE in their day, but it won't make it much longer. Regrettably Action Figures share many similarities.