Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Netflix's "The Toys That Made Us"

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I guess if I were doing a season 4, I'd probably do Cabbage Patch Kids, Hot Wheels, and maybe Smurfs and Care Bears.
    That's a pretty good list for season 4. Although Voltron would be an interesting one to cover.
    Some toylines had more success in Europe, the UK and Japan like Thindercats, Robotech/Macross and Gundam which would be quite interesting.
    Last edited by Mark M; December 8, 2019 at 08:09am.

Strawberry Shortcake is huge! They call the SSC line pink gold for a reason!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I've only watched the TMNT episode from the new season (I don't care about wrestling or PR, but I might give MLP a watch because my kiddo likes it). Seeing Eastman and Laird together again, even though it was manufactured and probably won't rekindle their friendship the way I'd like it to, was magical. I actually teared up a bit.
    I wasn’t into wrestling much either. Only casually around the mid 80s during the peak off early WWF for a couple years. Was never my thing. But I did really enjoy the episode. It’s a good program and it will find ways to make you interested in any IP. Don’t over look any episode because of the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by manowar View Post
    Parents have their own interests, like video games, that they try to share with their kids. Honestly, I can get deep into a game myself. Electronics are expensive, systems, phones, TV'S, computers...physical toys are being replaced with apps. You get a tablet and some games, put it in front of a kid, and you distract them for a while.

The whole creativity that comes from playing with toys and inventing your own stories and using your imagination isn't being done because you can be spoon fed a story through a video game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    I supppse that the difference between our parents generation and ours. They didn’t have time for such things. They spent every waking moment and ounce of energy on us. Honestly I’m jealous. I don’t know how any of you guys find time to play games. By the time I sweep up that last scoop of dirt or put the last cleaned dish in the strainer to dry over night, it’s time for bed, or was time for bed two hours ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddle of Steel View Post
    Here's an excellent example of this theory already at work. I'm not a big "Train Guy," but my dad LOVES them as that's what was big during HIS generation. This past weekend I rode shotgun along side him to a show in support.

If any of you have ever heard of or been to "Greenberg's Train Shows" you know what I'm talking about as they have them all over the place several times per year.

Now while the show was fairly large with a huge turnout, the demographics were absurdly lopsided. About 85, YES 85% of the attendees there in both dealer and shopper were age 60+, with a good portion I'd say 70+.

What happens to the train industry once those guys are gone for good? Simple, it goes bye bye. The toy/model train industry took it's hits YEARS ago, but surprisingly there's still a loyal following. Only problem....like I said, they're 60+ for the most part and there's VERY little younger blood up and coming to take their spots.

Once those guys go, they'll sadly take what ever's left along side with them. Trains were HUGE in their day, but it won't make it much longer. Regrettably Action Figures share many similarities.
    Aye. I’ve hear the analogy before. Good supporting evidence of your theory.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I watched the Wrestling episode last night. I loved Wrestling when I was a kid and we had the PVC figures with the action features (I remember having Hulk, UW and Jake the Snake, but I know we had more). I have not watched Wrestling since I was a kid, but I found that episode to be the most entertaining of this season. My hubby has never watched wrestling and he enjoyed it too. I was a little disappointed with the MLP episode. I hate to say it, but the guys in charge of the boy toys are always a heck of a lot more fun in interviews. The women just come off as catty.

- - - Updated - - -

I am one of the only parents I know who games, but does not give my children games/much screen time. To be honest I rarely game myself anymore. I believe children should use their imagination as much as possible. My children never complain of being bored and they never ask for screen time. They have way too many other things that interest them. The problem is that most families have two parents who work and have ZERO time. They use these devices as baby sitters.
    How about Smurfs?
    You’re a good parent. And I agree. I remember using found objects, cake box string, yellow netting from a seasonal turkey, box of styrofoam peanuts etc for play. Made for the best times. Video games will never replace that.

Despite the lack of articulation I really liked the Smurfs, had many, many figures, had the old Schleich Smurf’s house and enjoyed the cartoon. Was torn between Hefty and Handy as my favs. Might have been the only NBC sat morning cartoon that I watched. I was as mostly a CBS guy. I’d be happy to have an episode of them.

Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    You’re a good parent. And I agree. I remember using found objects, cake box string, yellow netting from a seasonal turkey, box of styrofoam peanuts etc for play. Made for the best times. Video games will never replace that.
    My kid's favorite play thing at the moment is the GIANT box my hubby's new shop vac came in - LOL! Thousands of dollars worth of toys in the house, including an amazing fort building kit, and they want to play with a giant box
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I guess if I were doing a season 4, I'd probably do Cabbage Patch Kids, Hot Wheels, and maybe Smurfs and Care Bears.
    "Maybe" Smurfs and Care Bears?? They were GIANTS in the '80s and have persevered to this day. I don't think of "toys" as much when I think of "Smurfs" (maybe because we only had a few Smurf things as kids), but the Care Bears definitely deserve their own episode.

Strawberry Shortcake is huge! They call the SSC line pink gold for a reason!
    Yes, when I was looking at the episode list on Netflix, I was like, um, where are Care Bears and Strawberry Shortcake?? Like you said, Strawberry Shortcake was an ENORMOUS toy property that was gold from the late '70s all the way through the 1980s and then made a comeback beyond.
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

I am more surprised they actually made an episode all about Star Trek toys. The show and movioes may be popular but the toys were really never that popular. Hardly on the level of Star Wars, G.I. Joe, Transformers, TMNT and Barbie etc.