Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: How do you feel about dropping all plastic from toy packaging?

  1. #1
    Master of Physics VZX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,425

    How do you feel about dropping all plastic from toy packaging?

    Since using less "single-use-plastic" is the current trend in environmentalism, how does this apply to toy packaging? I personally would not count the plastic used in the actual toys as "single-use" since they are part of the product to be used hopefully for years or even generations. But I think that the plastic used on cardbacks and the plastic ties can be dropped. It would be a bummer to not have the plastic window to view the toy, but the plastic ties can easily be replaced by paper ties. Should collectible action figures like Classics or Black Series be exposed in their packages without a plastic window? Or how about a cardboard outer-box that can be slipped on and off?

    The plastics found in the oceans are a big concern, plastic was found in whale stomachs, tuna, and the bottom of the Marianas Trench. Not to mention the Texas-times-two-sized patch of plastic floating on the surface.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior manowar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    958
    I think eliminating the clamshell and bubble, and creating a box with a plastic window would suffice. I remember bringing up the idea of making resealable boxes for some of the MOTUC figures, because I felt it would be cool to see the figure, and put it back to display, riled up a lot of mint on card collectors who felt it was sacrilegious to touch the toy and remove it from its sarcophagus

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    3,045
    I like the way they used to package toys in the 80's. Most of my time spent on Christmas morning is trying to get things out of the excessive packaging without slicing off a finger. A friend of mine actually had to get stitches one Christmas due to the crazy packaging on his kid's toy!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

  4. #4
    Heroic Daddy to Hermione! Uki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The Woodlands,Tx
    Posts
    12,112
    I'm all for it. I don't much care about what the box/packaging look like. It's what's inside that counts.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

    Instagram: Just_Thommy

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,369
    I am all for it. The less packaging the better.

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior Asher Tye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    952
    Wonder if doing this will bring back boxart to prominence.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

  7. #7
    Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    3,496
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I like the way they used to package toys in the 80's. Most of my time spent on Christmas morning is trying to get things out of the excessive packaging without slicing off a finger. A friend of mine actually had to get stitches one Christmas due to the crazy packaging on his kid's toy!
    Amen! This is so true!

  8. #8
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    9,665
    I'm in favor of eliminating as much plastic from the world as possible. Don't get me started on what it's doing to our oceans.

    There is a movement in South Korea to replace plastic film bags used for bagging groceries with film bags made from soybeans. I applaud that effort.

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    3,672
    I'm in favor of reducing the amount of plastic... but not ALL of it. I absolutely think window bubbles are necessary just to see what toy you are buying. Not even counting the idea of broken or poorly painted figures that could come out of a box... there are way to many thieves out there who have bought a figure and returned it to the store with a DIFFERENT figure in it's place and the store just puts it back on the shelf... I have seen it once myself and heard a lot of others that have seen it.... So the 'painted sealed box' is just unacceptable... you gotta see the inside.

    That said, you do NOT need a dozen plastic ties downs, baggies, inserts and whatever else. Just the clamshell or window are fine with me... ala the toys in the 80's He-man had his nice crystal/ice prison bubble that I actually kept and played with... but that was it. he bounced around a bit inside the bubble and that was fine. If toys can't handle a little joggling than make them better. They can't handle play either.

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    3,045
    Anything we make out of plastic can be made from hemp (which would be infinitely better for our planet). I know, I know. I'm a big hippy - LOL!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior Asher Tye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    952
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I'm in favor of reducing the amount of plastic... but not ALL of it. I absolutely think window bubbles are necessary just to see what toy you are buying. Not even counting the idea of broken or poorly painted figures that could come out of a box... there are way to many thieves out there who have bought a figure and returned it to the store with a DIFFERENT figure in it's place and the store just puts it back on the shelf... I have seen it once myself and heard a lot of others that have seen it.... So the 'painted sealed box' is just unacceptable... you gotta see the inside.

    That said, you do NOT need a dozen plastic ties downs, baggies, inserts and whatever else. Just the clamshell or window are fine with me... ala the toys in the 80's He-man had his nice crystal/ice prison bubble that I actually kept and played with... but that was it. he bounced around a bit inside the bubble and that was fine. If toys can't handle a little joggling than make them better. They can't handle play either.
    There's great truth to this. Once caught a box with a movie Ironhide someone had returned, only what was inside was just an old RC truck that was even lacking wheels. Took forever to get my claims department to understand why the "sealed" box couldn't just be put back on the shelf, culminating with having to open the thing and demonstrate the occupant's lack of transforming ability.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    303
    I understand the reasoning behind this - but still don't think it's a good idea....and may actually lead me to completely leave the toy collecting hobby:

    If they eliminate all plastic packaging for carded/boxed action figures (3.75" & 6"), then how will you see the figure in the package before you buy this?! I.e., I don't want to buy a figure, and then open a package - only to find that they've packaged the wrong figure - and/or that another customer has pulled a re-pack situation. I.e., at least now when figures are packaged in blisters & boxes you can see what you're getting ahead of time.

    And this rationale even carries over to figures you would order from an online company like Amazon (for example). I.e., if I look at a product on a website & they show it boxed/carded - again, at least you can tell what you're getting when you order this. Granted, they may still send you the wrong item - but the likelyhood would be less if they themselves can see what they're sending you when they ship this.

    Without plastic packaging, they will presumably just be using paper - and there is no way you would be able to see the figure(s) before the purchase. Forget it.

    The only way I see that this 0 plastic packaging could work would be with vehicles without pack-in figures - which is already happening to a certain extent.

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,369
    All the plastic needed on packaging is just the window on the box or a bubble on the card.

  14. #14
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    11,606
    I need to see what type of condition the figure is in before I buy and I'm a MOC collector, so that would be a big no from me. They do get a bit carried away at times with things to try to prevent shoplifting. If the packaging was more like the 80s on most things, that would be fine.

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    3,045
    I do not think they would eliminate ALL of the plastic. As Mark said there probably would be a window or bubble so you could see the actual product. The amount of plastic they currently use in toys is ridiculous. By the time we open most of the toys my kids get these days the packaging makes up 80-90% of the purchase and is ALL waste.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,369
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I do not think they would eliminate ALL of the plastic. As Mark said there probably would be a window or bubble so you could see the actual product. The amount of plastic they currently use in toys is ridiculous. By the time we open most of the toys my kids get these days the packaging makes up 80-90% of the purchase and is ALL waste.
    I bought a Transformer a few weeks ago and there was sooooo many plastic ties and around it.
    Even those DST Ghostbusters figures had multiple plastic ties around nearly every limb and joint.

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    3,045
    I thought Barbies were the worst, then K got something called Pop Teenies. Those people should be sued off the face of the Earth for the amount of trash per product. It is insane!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

  18. #18
    President of Primus Ornclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Tri-Solar System
    Posts
    6,009
    We tend to focus on the "plastic bottle" epidemic, yet overlook the insane amount of plastic that gets used to package everything from batteries to action figures...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    3,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    We tend to focus on the "plastic bottle" epidemic, yet overlook the insane amount of plastic that gets used to package everything from batteries to action figures...
    We do not use plastic in our home except some storage totes in our basement (in case of water) and of course toys. We use glass and stainless steel in our kitchen. They just released a report that there is 44% more chemicals in our food (from plastic/BPA) than previously thought. That is terrifying :*(
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

  20. #20
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    9,665
    Bravo, Icey. As always, you are an amazing role model for your children.

    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    We do not use plastic in our home except some storage totes in our basement (in case of water) and of course toys. We use glass and stainless steel in our kitchen. They just released a report that there is 44% more chemicals in our food (from plastic/BPA) than previously thought. That is terrifying :*(

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    532
    I think I can see a future where the packaging gets converted into display/diorama fuel made of a cheaper plastic with cardboard overlays or stickers.

    Instead of a cardback, for example, why not a Grayskull or Snake Mountain floor or wall piece with pegs that lock them together inside?

    5mm pegholes at the top and bottom and sides. 2 5mm pegs in the plastic card itself that stands can attach to. Sell connector packs (90 degree and horizontal) and various stands that can lock into the posts. Maybe have the figure itself in a thin wrap seal against the plastic card with thin paper overlays. A small hard plastic overlay up top attached through the peg for hanging.

    So when you toss things out, you have a wad of wrap, a small hanging peg, and maybe about a quarter of a sheet of card stock overlay.

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior Iluvart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    331
    I am fine with cardboard alternatives for packaging. It'd probably be easier to open too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •