Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prince Adam origin question 1982

Prince Adam origin question 1982

So, I was checking out the DC comics limited to 3 Masters of the Universe from 1982. I thought that Prince Adam was created by Lou Scheimer for the cartoon. Doesn’t this comic predate the cartoon? Man-at-Arms doesn’t have a mustache and definitely looks like the original figure in the face.

Swami of Construx Old Bolty-Neck's Avatar
    The following blog article about the character's development will be well worth your time:
    http://battleramblog.com/prince-adam...f-he-man-1984/
    To your point, yes, the character of Prince Adam existed before the cartoon. But I think you'll enjoy the attention to detail in that article, which is authored by board member Lich Leech. Don't miss Mark Taylor's initial sketch, in particular. (Spoiler: it's fabulous.)
    My fan interests include: Classic Horror • Star Trek • DC Comics primarily Superman • Marx Brothers • Muppets • MOTU • Whose Line? • trance music • I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue • the historical sharpshooter Annie Oakley • fonts with kerning • bottom-posting
    My Mega Construx gallery

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Prince Adam appears even before the DC Comics mini-series. His looks in DC Presents #47 is basically taken from Filmation Series Guide image.

But yes. The one thing fans mistake a lot. Prince Adam didn't appear "only in cartoon 1983". No; he appeared already July 82, just five months after the MOTU toys were released.

The character of Prince Adam that Mark Taylor created, is not technically related to the one Michael Halperin and Filmation created.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Wow, thanks guys. I feel so stupid. I thought for all these years Lou came up with the idea of Prince Adam. And I don’t know how I missed this because I could have sworn I had the DC comics. I notice Man-at-Arms wasn’t in on the “secret” either.

Lou had to have come up with the idea of Orko, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bolty-Neck View Post
    The following blog article about the character's development will be well worth your time:
    To your point, yes, the character of Prince Adam existed before the cartoon. But I think you'll enjoy the attention to detail in that article, which is authored by board member Lich Leech. Don't miss Mark Taylor's initial sketch, in particular. (Spoiler: it's fabulous.)

Thanks also for this incredibly insightful article. The owner of that blog needs to monetize it! He’s missing out on a lot of money! There are some SEO improvements needed with his lack of H2 tags but such a great source of information has great potential!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by joe113 View Post
    So, I was checking out the DC comics limited to 3 Masters of the Universe from 1982. I thought that Prince Adam was created by Lou Scheimer for the cartoon. Doesn’t this comic predate the cartoon? Man-at-Arms doesn’t have a mustache and definitely looks like the original figure in the face.
    You van find amazing Info here:

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayk View Post
    The one missing detail is that Filmation director Hal Sutherland was colorblind and saw purple as gray and pink as brown.

This had already resulted in purple Klingon uniforms in Star Trek and pink tribbles.

In all likelihood, allowing for this, his Prince Adam probably wore what TO HIM was the same as an orange-y brown vest and dark gray fur loincloth and boots with light gray leggings.

So the Filmation Adam was likely meant to be a few steps LESS flamboyant than Taylor’s design.

The crazy sky and vegetation colors can also likely be chalked up to Sutherland, who would have seen the purple skies as smoggy.

Thanks also for this incredibly insightful article. The owner of that blog needs to monetize it! He’s missing out on a lot of money! There are some SEO improvements needed with his lack of H2 tags but such a great source of information has great potential!
    I'm not exactly sure what's the best way to tag things. I use Wordpress, and typically use the tag option on the sidebar (usually something simple like the subject of the article, maybe a few other pertinent key words). I did try google adword monetization for a few months, but ad revenue was pretty low - low enough that it wasn't worth the ad clutter.

Thanks for the kind words, glad you liked it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Prince Adam appears even before the DC Comics mini-series. His looks in DC Presents #47 is basically taken from Filmation Series Guide image.

But yes. The one thing fans mistake a lot. Prince Adam didn't appear "only in cartoon 1983". No; he appeared already July 82, just five months after the MOTU toys were released.

The character of Prince Adam that Mark Taylor created, is not technically related to the one Michael Halperin and Filmation created.
    Wouldn't the Filmation series guide have come after the DC crossover issue?

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    IWouldn't the Filmation series guide have come after the DC crossover issue?
    There more likely was lot of things worked at same time.
    Halperin on Series Bible, the Series Guide images... and DC Comics. All during 1982.

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

I'm not exactly sure what's the best way to tag things. I use Wordpress, and typically use the tag option on the sidebar (usually something simple like the subject of the article, maybe a few other pertinent key words). I did try google adword monetization for a few months, but ad revenue was pretty low - low enough that it wasn't worth the ad clutter.

Thanks for the kind words, glad you liked it

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't the Filmation series guide have come after the DC crossover issue?
    @Lich Leech, the website is amazing and IÂ’d love to own it. SEO is easier than ever since Google now ranks on user experience and content value over back-links and all the other old tricks through the years that no longer work.

Take a look at this crude example.

How to Rank on Google (H1, title, just an example)

250 to 300 word intro (called the snippet)

SSL (H2, just an example)

First, your site needs an SSL certificate. ItÂ’s mandatory and most hosts these days offer them free with their hosting plan. SSL used to be for online stores and banks, now Google wants an SSL certificate on all sites in order to rank.

There are no back-end SEO secrets or tricks anymore. No more meta tags filled with keywords separated by commas, they’re useless and Google has become too smart. For ever page you need an H1 tag. You only need one and it’s the title of the article. As such, it should clearly state what the article is about (that’s where your main “keyword” is.)

How to properly use H2 tags (example)

Now, your H2 tags, these come in every two to three paragraphs. Use the keyword those paragraphs are about in your H2 tag which is essentially a different keyword youÂ’re trying to score for. This not only shows Google what the keyword of the next few paragraphs is, but it also improves readability, breaking things up and improves user experience.

Conclusion (H2 summary and final comments)

The longer the article the better. 1500 is the minimum and you surpass that by far in the post I read.

ThereÂ’s also the meta description on the back end depending on the plugin. I still use it but itÂ’s another thing SEO is moving away from. Google sometimes ignores it over the snippet or other content in the article. Especially when they find more relevant content.

Google Adsense (H2)

We all start out with Google Adsense and make pennies, literally. But, you have the content, if presented the right way so itÂ’s more google friendly, your audience grows (theoretically) and once you get enough monthly traffic, you go on to a higher paying ad broker and thatÂ’s when you start making money.

Opening an Amazon account (H2)

Also, opening an Amazon associate account and selling related products through the site also contributes to website monetization and Amazon sells TONS of MOTU stuff.

That wraps up my mini and crude SEO lesson.

Now for the bad news. ThereÂ’s no guarantee with any business and I donÂ’t know if MOTU is a large enough niche where you can make a couple thousand a month. I donÂ’t know how popular it would be even if done correctly because most of these sales are based on nostalgia, not what kids are into today.

There is a MOTU movie coming out next year or the following. This could spark a mainstream revival or it could flop. Website monetization is a lot like the stock market. Out of 7 of my sites, two are successful and it appears I have a third one coming into its own.

ItÂ’s hard work and not easy. If you enjoy doing it for a hobby thatÂ’s really all that matters. But thereÂ’s a lot of good stuff on there that I see potential in.

To be brief, internet laws are changing and not for the better. I consider what youÂ’re doing fair use and as long as youÂ’re not making any money, theyÂ’ll most likely leave you alone. If it were me, and I was making good money off the site, IÂ’d definitely hire a retainer copyright lawyer.

All that glitters isnÂ’t gold.

Either way itÂ’s a wonderful site with meticulous precision, good work, just not set up for optimal SEO.

@Lich Leech, the website is amazing and IÂ’d love to own it. SEO is easier than ever since Google now ranks on user experience and content value over back-links and all the other old tricks through the years that no longer work.

Take a look at this crude example.

How to Rank on Google (H1, title, just an example)

250 to 300 word intro (called the snippet)

SSL (H2, just an example)

First, your site needs an SSL certificate. ItÂ’s mandatory and most hosts these days offer them free with their hosting plan. SSL used to be for online stores and banks, now Google wants an SSL certificate on all sites in order to rank.

There are no back-end SEO secrets or tricks anymore. No more meta tags filled with keywords separated by commas, they’re useless and Google has become too smart. For ever page you need an H1 tag. You only need one and it’s the title of the article. As such, it should clearly state what the article is about (that’s where your main “keyword” is.)

How to properly use H2 tags (example)

Now, your H2 tags, these come in every two to three paragraphs. Use the keyword those paragraphs are about in your H2 tag which is essentially a different keyword youÂ’re trying to score for. This not only shows Google what the keyword of the next few paragraphs is, but it also improves readability, breaking things up and improves user experience.

Conclusion (H2 summary and final comments)

The longer the article the better. 1500 is the minimum and you surpass that by far in the post I read.

ThereÂ’s also the meta description on the back end depending on the plugin. I still use it but itÂ’s another thing SEO is moving away from. Google sometimes ignores it over the snippet or other content in the article. Especially when they find more relevant content.

Google Adsense (H2)

We all start out with Google Adsense and make pennies, literally. But, you have the content, if presented the right way so itÂ’s more google friendly, your audience grows (theoretically) and once you get enough monthly traffic, you go on to a higher paying ad broker and thatÂ’s when you start making money.

Opening an Amazon account (H2)

Also, opening an Amazon associate account and selling related products through the site also contributes to website monetization and Amazon sells TONS of MOTU stuff.

That wraps up my mini and crude SEO lesson.

Now for the bad news. ThereÂ’s no guarantee with any business and I donÂ’t know if MOTU is a large enough niche where you can make a couple thousand a month. I donÂ’t know how popular it would be even if done correctly because most of these sales are based on nostalgia, not what kids are into today.

There is a MOTU movie coming out next year or the following. This could spark a mainstream revival or it could flop. Website monetization is a lot like the stock market. Out of 7 of my sites, two are successful and it appears I have a third one coming into its own.

ItÂ’s hard work and not easy. If you enjoy doing it for a hobby thatÂ’s really all that matters. But thereÂ’s a lot of good stuff on there that I see potential in.

To be brief, internet laws are changing and not for the better. I consider what youÂ’re doing fair use and as long as youÂ’re not making any money, theyÂ’ll most likely leave you alone. If it were me, and I was making good money off the site, IÂ’d definitely hire a retainer copyright lawyer.

All that glitters isnÂ’t gold.

Either way itÂ’s a wonderful site with meticulous precision, good work, just not set up for optimal SEO.
    Thanks for the information! It sounds like maybe monetization might be more trouble than it's worth. Anyway, glad you like the site!

Fantastic article. Thank you for sharing!

I still feel really stupid about thinking Lou Scheimer came up with the Prince Adam character since I mentioned it in blogs.

Is it at least fair to say that Master of the Universe (1982 to 1983) had several alternative origins? I mean what the heck? I went with the mini-comics that came with the original figures. I had the first DC comics run but the old English dialogue threw me off being so young. Then the cartoon came out and everything seemed to take another turn. But actually the story of Queen Marlena coming from earth was covered in the same issue I talked about in the first post. In at least half the origins, He-Man is half earthling.

I really wish I could have been at the Filmation meeting when this was all decided. The only problem with that is I’d be in my 70s or 80s by now and not my 40s.

Does anyone here like Arak Son of Thunder from DC comics?
    Last edited by joe113; December 11, 2019 at 01:04am.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    I still feel really stupid about thinking Lou Scheimer came up with the Prince Adam character since I mentioned it in blogs.
    No need at all to feel stupid.

Is it at least fair to say that Master of the Universe (1982 to 1983) had several alternative origins? I mean what the heck? I went with the mini-comics that came with the original figures. I had the first DC comics run but the old English dialogue threw me off being so young.
    Not alternative origins.
    I'd say more that things were in state of flux. Or that MOTU was evolving.
    If you've read Star Wars comics and novels created whilst original trilogy was being made, you can see how things splinter in different directions.

There are A LOT of people who made MOTU what it is known after all these years. That's why it's hard to say that single mind made it all happen.
    From interviews and now later documentaries we know that Mattel were coming up with ideas the further they went along. Making toys to introducing minicomics, to going to DC Comics and have regular sized comics (and DC did the wave2 minicomics, so He-Man is no longer a jungle tribe member, but hangs around at Royal Palace that has King and Queen), and then wanting to make animated specials; but Lou came up with idea to make it syndicated.
    And even if you look at something like the minicomics. There's 49 of them, and even in there you can see lot of evolving through the years. One big turning point was when Hordak is introduced. The story shifts focus A LOT after that.
    All during this time Mattel licensed MOTU to many places, so we get ActivityBooks, Board Games... GoldenBooks that start with some very basics, but already in "The Thief of Castle Grayskull" they reference a Sorceress that lives inside Grayskull. (minicomic early version did not live there, so this was cartoon stories already influencing things)

Then the cartoon came out and everything seemed to take another turn. But actually the story of Queen Marlena coming from earth was covered in the same issue I talked about in the first post. In at least half the origins, He-Man is half earthling.
    The cartoon is the big turning point. As its been mentioned also in interviews and such. It is what made MOTU into a global phenomenon.
    But cartoons take lot of time to make. That's why already in 1982 there most likely are elements that would show up in cartoon the following year.

No need at all to feel stupid.

Not alternative origins.
    I'd say more that things were in state of flux. Or that MOTU was evolving.
    If you've read Star Wars comics and novels created whilst original trilogy was being made, you can see how things splinter in different directions.

There are A LOT of people who made MOTU what it is known after all these years. That's why it's hard to say that single mind made it all happen.
    From interviews and now later documentaries we know that Mattel were coming up with ideas the further they went along. Making toys to introducing minicomics, to going to DC Comics and have regular sized comics (and DC did the wave2 minicomics, so He-Man is no longer a jungle tribe member, but hangs around at Royal Palace that has King and Queen), and then wanting to make animated specials; but Lou came up with idea to make it syndicated.
    And even if you look at something like the minicomics. There's 49 of them, and even in there you can see lot of evolving through the years. One big turning point was when Hordak is introduced. The story shifts focus A LOT after that.
    All during this time Mattel licensed MOTU to many places, so we get ActivityBooks, Board Games... GoldenBooks that start with some very basics, but already in "The Thief of Castle Grayskull" they reference a Sorceress that lives inside Grayskull. (minicomic early version did not live there, so this was cartoon stories already influencing things)

The cartoon is the big turning point. As its been mentioned also in interviews and such. It is what made MOTU into a global phenomenon.
    But cartoons take lot of time to make. That's why already in 1982 there most likely are elements that would show up in cartoon the following year.
    Thanks Jukka for this response. Well, I guess the royal palace beats the tribe origin after all.

As I understand, they were aiming towards Conan when the deal fell through and were threatened to be sued. So they gave He-Man blonde short hair. Evolution is a better way of looking at it.

Did anyone hear of the origin of Beast Man originally coming from England? I can’t remember where I read it online but it was way outside the box.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    As I understand, they were aiming towards Conan when the deal fell through and were threatened to be sued. So they gave He-Man blonde short hair.
    That is a very old myth circulated online by fans. (kinda like how some fans say that He-Man cartoon was gonna have 3rd season but it got shut down because She-Ra instead got made into cartoon. BIG fan myth, but persistant)

Famous version of the Myth for a long time was "oh, Mattel execs were gonna make Conan toy, but then saw the movie in theaters and noticed it had blood and gore, so they quickly changed hair color and gave new name. And that's how He-Man was born"

It has been debunked by interviews and documentaries.

Plus we have concept art from Mark Taylor from 1979 that is the basis on He-Man becoming a thing. LONG before the Conan movie in 1982.

Mattel was sued by the Conan people. But Mattel won actually. That has been documented too.

Piggybacking on what Jukka said, you can check out this timeline that shows Mattel was working on He-Man long before they decided to go after after the Conan license.

http://battleramblog.com/masters-of-...ine-1979-1987/

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Heroic Warrior
    Yep, Adam has been around long before the cartoon. It's one of those things that aren't as cut and dried as 'pre-filmation' and 'kiddie version'. Much like Battle Cat and Cringer talking... that came from those same books too... and Battle Cat has been talking since at least Tri=Klop's mini-comic. Lot of ideas that people rank as 'kiddie' existed from nearly the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    The one missing detail is that Filmation director Hal Sutherland was colorblind and saw purple as gray and pink as brown.

This had already resulted in purple Klingon uniforms in Star Trek and pink tribbles.

In all likelihood, allowing for this, his Prince Adam probably wore what TO HIM was the same as an orange-y brown vest and dark gray fur loincloth and boots with light gray leggings.

So the Filmation Adam was likely meant to be a few steps LESS flamboyant than Taylor’s design.

The crazy sky and vegetation colors can also likely be chalked up to Sutherland, who would have seen the purple skies as smoggy.
    This seems odd to me. Speaking AS a colorblind person... those color deficiencies are.. odd. But more to the point, people who are color blind KNOW they are color blind and know how to deal with it. Usually by coming out and asking what colors are when they aren't sure.

We know what colors are SUPPOSED to be... just have trouble picking them out of a lineup or need labels on our crayons

That is a very old myth circulated online by fans. (kinda like how some fans say that He-Man cartoon was gonna have 3rd season but it got shut down because She-Ra instead got made into cartoon. BIG fan myth, but persistant)

Famous version of the Myth for a long time was "oh, Mattel execs were gonna make Conan toy, but then saw the movie in theaters and noticed it had blood and gore, so they quickly changed hair color and gave new name. And that's how He-Man was born"

It has been debunked by interviews and documentaries.

Plus we have concept art from Mark Taylor from 1979 that is the basis on He-Man becoming a thing. LONG before the Conan movie in 1982.

Mattel was sued by the Conan people. But Mattel won actually. That has been documented too.
    Better theory would be 'Kids like barbarians... can we make something like that without paying licensing fees? '

Swami of Construx Old Bolty-Neck's Avatar
    Hey phantom1592, thanks for giving your perspective on the colorblindness factor. That helps! It kinda doesn't ring true that the colorblind person would have (all on his own) decided colors for Filmation shows. Surely Adam's color scheme would have had to get approval by at least one other person, probably a committee, probably someone from Mattel.

I've seen Star Trek the Animated Series. Colors in that show are extremely faithful to the original series: most anything seen previously in the live-action show looks accurate. Starfleet uniform colors, actors' hair colors, the interiors and exterior animation of the Enterprise -- spot on. The Klingon uniforms and tribbles being off-model from the original series always just struck me as a case where a little creative freedom was judiciously executed (in other words, the Animated Series production people knew perfectly well where they could and couldn't choose to jazz up a design, and those are two examples where they took a chance for some visual variety). And they actually look fine as is. Certainly if there were any lines of dialogue that referred to the gray Klingon uniform, then the purple color choice would be considered a mistake. I'd also consider it a mistake if the flesh color of the Klingons were off, but it isn't: just their clothes.

He-Man and She-Ra seem to me to be similar: people's flesh and hair color looks fine. While color schemes for characters sometimes don't match the toys they're based on, Filmation's choices don't seem so outre to me that we must blame someone's colorblindness (like I don't remember toy-brunette characters showing up on the cartoon with maroon hair or something, they often made them redheads, an understandable choice). And of course alien landscapes are alien, and weird colors are what you want there.
    My fan interests include: Classic Horror • Star Trek • DC Comics primarily Superman • Marx Brothers • Muppets • MOTU • Whose Line? • trance music • I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue • the historical sharpshooter Annie Oakley • fonts with kerning • bottom-posting
    My Mega Construx gallery

Hey phantom1592, thanks for giving your perspective on the colorblindness factor. That helps! It kinda doesn't ring true that the colorblind person would have (all on his own) decided colors for Filmation shows. Surely Adam's color scheme would have had to get approval by at least one other person, probably a committee, probably someone from Mattel.

I've seen Star Trek the Animated Series. Colors in that show are extremely faithful to the original series: most anything seen previously in the live-action show looks accurate. Starfleet uniform colors, actors' hair colors, the interiors and exterior animation of the Enterprise -- spot on. The Klingon uniforms and tribbles being off-model from the original series always just struck me as a case where a little creative freedom was judiciously executed (in other words, the Animated Series production people knew perfectly well where they could and couldn't choose to jazz up a design, and those are two examples where they took a chance for some visual variety). And they actually look fine as is. Certainly if there were any lines of dialogue that referred to the gray Klingon uniform, then the purple color choice would be considered a mistake. I'd also consider it a mistake if the flesh color of the Klingons were off, but it isn't: just their clothes.

He-Man and She-Ra seem to me to be similar: people's flesh and hair color looks fine. While color schemes for characters sometimes don't match the toys they're based on, Filmation's choices don't seem so outre to me that we must blame someone's colorblindness (like I don't remember toy-brunette characters showing up on the cartoon with maroon hair or something, they often made them redheads, an understandable choice). And of course alien landscapes are alien, and weird colors are what you want there.
    Right. Also, all the MOTU characters based on toys have more or less correct colors (or correct based on the concept art they based on it, such as the case of Tung Lashor). So that doesn't track with the colorblindness theory - otherwise we'd expect all the characters to have wildly off colors.

But didn’t Mattel approach Lou Scheimer about doing the cartoon?

I heard Mattel offered him a percentage on every new character he created. Furthermore, it’s my understanding that Mattel chose Lou Scheimer specifically because they were having problems with a parental coalition complaining that the toys were too violent and wanted Lou to water it down, so to speak.

Notice any similarities with Lou’s earlier cartoon scenes Blackstar? Perhaps the background scenery?

I heard Mattel offered him a percentage on every new character he created. Furthermore, it’s my understanding that Mattel chose Lou Scheimer specifically because they were having problems with a parental coalition complaining that the toys were too violent and wanted Lou to water it down, so to speak.

Notice any similarities with Lou’s earlier cartoon scenes Blackstar? Perhaps the background scenery?
    Mattel approached a different studio first, then Filmation. The only angry parent complaints I'm aware of came after the Filmation cartoon aired, but it's possible there was something before that.

Mattel approached a different studio first, then Filmation. The only angry parent complaints I'm aware of came after the Filmation cartoon aired, but it's possible there was something before that.
    Hey Lich, have you ever seen this video on YouTube? Your thoughts (and anyone else who cares to join in)? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mNrPs4qReHk

Heroic Warrior

Yeah, for example... the most common color deficiency is in the red/green sprectrum. I can see pure true bright reds and greens... but a lot of the various hues and shades... just blur. I like to describe it as everyone else has that big box of 240 crayons... I have the 20. :P If you take red, green and brown (a combo of red and green) and paint them all together... I can't usually see where one ends and the next begins.

Purple is a little tough, because that is a combo of red of and blue... and there have been a lot of times that I call something blue only to be corrected that it is in fact purple. That said... I KNOW what colors are SUPPOSED to be. I don't proclaim that the sky or ocean is purple... I don't think the grass is red... I know what colors are meant to be, I just have trouble seeing them sometimes. My friends have a wonderful memory of playing volleyball outside and I kept running out of bounds to hit the ball and getting them all angry... I didn't even realize then painted the boundary lines in red on the green grass... Blew their mind when they found out that was the problem. But even with all that, I still paint miniatures and toys a LOT... I just pay attention to the labels on the paint.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Mattel approached Hanna-Barbera but that didn't go through. There might be some other studio they approached but H-B has been given as example. Then they went to Filmation, thinking they could make animated specials.

I can't say what the actual deal was with Mattel and Filmation. In his book Lou mentions it was 50/50. The money for Filmation came down from their parent company Group W.
    But that Filmation had the veto-right on what to include in the show.
    That's why the whole "its just a 22-min advertising for toys" doesn't hold too much. Because HAD it been that, Mattel might've put in every ten episodes a new Battle/ThunderPunch/Do-Hickey Variant to sell that specific toy of the season. But that's not what we got.

Filmation made money off the show and Group W. Now the character creation thing I gather was more like "if Mattel produces a figure out of new character created by Filmation". So Orko is the best example there.

Group W did get complaints from mom-groups. Peggy Charren (founder of Action for Children's Television, ACT) was one vocal person about cartoons with violence. All that was in effect already from 70s with animated shows, so any action shows couldn't really have violence at all. Basically closest back then you might have is Scooby-Doo with suspense elements, but no violence.
    In 80s they focused straight to He-Man.

Only problem is. These attacks against He-Man show came before a single episode had aired. Meaning nobody actually had watched the show. Lou had a history with animated series always promoting good morals for kids, its evident in Fat Albert and other shows prior to He-Man. In He-Man's case they also had Donald F. Roberts (educational consultant) who checked the scripts for pro-social values (or if there might be something characters did that children might try to imitate and injur themselves, so those would be changed or removed) and writers included a moral-tag at end of the episode.

There are many similar elements with Blackstar.
    Heck it has two halves of a sword joined. So fans sometimes think Mattel used that idea from it.
    Last edited by Jukka; December 16, 2019 at 03:25pm.