Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters: Afterlife

I'm guessing based on the trailer that the original Ghostbusters will have limited cameos. But yes, there was no cheap fart joke humor in this trailer compared to the 2016 disaster. I'll go in cautiously optimistic.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

I cannot imagine Ivan not bringing back the original cast. Sigourney Weaver is already attached to the film (or so I read on social media yesterday). The Twitter mob hates it, so that is enough for me to give it a chance. Same with Mandalorian and I am VERY happy with that show. It is the first thing to feel like the original trilogy in pretty much EVER - LOL! Thank God for Jon Favreau.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    I really, really wish they were teenagers and not little kids, but alas. I didn't hate the trailer. It was okay. We'll have to wait and see I suppose
    Pretty sure it is teens. The main kid in the trailer is 16, so I'm guessing he and his classmates are in high school. The only little kid featured in the trailer is (I think) his younger sister.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I cannot imagine Ivan not bringing back the original cast. Sigourney Weaver is already attached to the film (or so I read on social media yesterday). The Twitter mob hates it, so that is enough for me to give it a chance. Same with Mandalorian and I am VERY happy with that show. It is the first thing to feel like the original trilogy in pretty much EVER - LOL! Thank God for Jon Favreau.
    It appears that Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Annie Potts and Sigourney Waver are all in it. How much so is anyone's guess.

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    I think this is an awesome trailer for a movie that I would love to see, except that it does not "feel" like a Ghostbusters movie. This trailer seems to be a movie in tone and style like ET, Bumblebee, Back to the Future, Stranger Things, Gremlins, Super 8, etc. Those are all movie that I love, but again, they are NOT Ghostbusters. To me, Ghostbusters is first and foremost a comedy in a supernatural/sci-fi setting. And, yes, there was only one good Ghostbusters movie made so far, although the animated series has some really good episodes.

I get that the "Amblin-Style" is all the rage now, but I do not like applying it to Ghostbusters. It worked great for Bumblebee, but not Ghostbusters. When I heard the Peter Venkman sing-song line "call it fate.." voice-over when the kids entered the ranch, it was ridiculous. In the original movie, Venkman was singing it as a sarcastic, silly way to get Ray to go along with his plan to start a business in-line with his character who did not take anything seriously. And now, they use it in a trailer in a serious manner. It's like they totally missed the point of the way the line was first used.

Maybe the movie will be a weird blend of Stranger Things and Ghostbusters that will work. But so far, I'm not seeing it.
    ^ This. There is also no comedy in their comedy film trailer. I am sure it will be a good movie, but it does seem like a Ghostbusters movie.

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    I'm hoping Ghostbusters: Afterlife celebrates all the great things about the original. It could start out mentioning Egon's passing and that Ray has been missing for years. The kids and Paul Rudd have to figure out how to fight the ghosts, and get help from Winston and Peter. They could even have a scene where Winston and Peter get into the Ecto-1 again, "Winston...we're home."

They battle the threat with the last of old dying equipment, but the containment unit is still leaking so they need new ghostbusting tools for the future.

Since Egon has passed away, and neither Peter or Winston know the technical side of how the equipment works or was made, the kids and Paul Rudd use a map, that Slimer guarded all these years, to track down Ray.

The last scene of the film has the kids finding Ray Stantz hidden away on Montauk Island. It should end with epic Ghostbusters music, with them handing Ray his old proton pack.

Then to start the next film, The Last Ghostbuster, directed by Rian Johnson (hopefully), Ray throws the proton pack on the ground and tells the kids to get lost. "I'm not training you to become Ghostbusters. It was a scam. I don't believe in ghosts anymore; it was all a mass psychotic delusion."

This is the way to do it!

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    ^ This. There is also no comedy in their comedy film trailer. I am sure it will be a good movie, but it does seem like a Ghostbusters movie.
    What we have right now is a teaser. I'm sure there will be comedy in it.

While the original Ghostbusters is very much a comedy, it also took the material and threat very seriously (unlike that train wreck of a film that came out a few years ago, which was a lot of bad slapstick and not much else).

I like that they are making it clear that the serious threat aspect is intact. Plus as far as the comedy goes, I really don't want the jokes spoiled in the trailers anyway.

While I certainly won't go so far as to say that this is the direction that I imagined "Ghostbusters 3" to go in, I am looking forward to it as of now. I do agree that I hope they don't go too far into the Amblin/ET sort of feel like Stranger Things, etc., but there are worse directions that they could go in.

I hope it feels as much like "Ghostbusters" as possible. At the same time the 2nd movie is already criticized a lot for being a cheap copy of the first. So they had to be careful not to tread too much of the same ground again. I'm cautiously optimistic about this movie overall.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; December 10, 2019 at 04:02pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I agree about retread territory.

One thing the cartoon did so well was show different locations outside of nyc. from Japan, to a farm house, to Russia, and Paris.

I hope we DO see NYC, but having the threat outside NYC would be nice.

I also hope they arn't out of business again.

Maybe Egon died on a case, or retired and died naturally. to live a peaceful live on a farm...I'm wondering who he married? janine?
    Respect is Earned. NOT Given, Away.

Year Three. Trumps still doing fine...and CLEARED. have a NICE day ;o)

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    I also hope they arn't out of business again.
    Well, in the trailer Paul Rudd says "There hasn't been a ghost sighting in 30 years." So, I don't think that bodes well for them being in business at the start of the film.

Heroic Warrior
    they could have kept it on the downlow, or done smaller cases...
    Respect is Earned. NOT Given, Away.

Year Three. Trumps still doing fine...and CLEARED. have a NICE day ;o)

I think Ghostbusters was a "Lightning in a bottle" movie that is almost impossible to duplicate with the perfect mix of horror, suspense and comedy. Heck, Ghostbusters 2 couldn't even recapture that magic (although I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be). The only thing in my mind that comes close to recapturing the first movie's magic is the Real Ghostbusters cartoon...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    What we have right now is a teaser. I'm sure there will be comedy in it.

While the original Ghostbusters is very much a comedy, it also took the material and threat very seriously (unlike that train wreck of a film that came out a few years ago, which was a lot of bad slapstick and not much else).

I like that they are making it clear that the serious threat aspect is intact. Plus as far as the comedy goes, I really don't want the jokes spoiled in the trailers anyway.

While I certainly won't go so far as to say that this is the direction that I imagined "Ghostbusters 3" to go in, I am looking forward to it as of now. I do agree that I hope they don't go too far into the Amblin/ET sort of feel like Stranger Things, etc., but there are worse directions that they could go in.

I hope it feels as much like "Ghostbusters" as possible. At the same time the 2nd movie is already criticized a lot for being a cheap copy of the first. So they had to be careful not to tread too much of the same ground again. I'm cautiously optimistic about this movie overall.

yeah... The original trailer wasn't exactly hilarious either. The movie was hilarious, but the trailer? not so much. This one has a good vibe to it, I'm pleased so far.

I just want it to be a proper sequel. Not trying to repeat the same basic story and formula as 1 and 2. Afterlife needs to be its own story.

I'm cautiously optimistic. However, that scene - Ecto-1 tearing down the street, siren wailing as they chased down Slimer - I'd be lying if I said that didn't make my heart skip a beat. Also, very glad to see visual effects that were on the same level as the first two movies, and not the 2016. Admittedly they were well-done, but the Technicolor, video-game-on-acid look did not fit 'Ghostbusters' at all.

So cautiously optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    yeah... The original trailer wasn't exactly hilarious either. The movie was hilarious, but the trailer? not so much. This one has a good vibe to it, I'm pleased so far.
    Absolutely!

Y'all should go watch The Movies That Made Us: Ghostbusters. It is fun!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

The Loyal Subjects just released their Ghostbusters action vinyls series and I love them. Best/most fun GB figs to date. Just got them today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree about retread territory.

One thing the cartoon did so well was show different locations outside of nyc. from Japan, to a farm house, to Russia, and Paris.

I hope we DO see NYC, but having the threat outside NYC would be nice.
    I think that we'll definitely be seeing New York... especially to find out what the old boys are up to!

Maybe Egon died on a case, or retired and died naturally. to live a peaceful live on a farm...I'm wondering who he married? janine?
    Now that you mention it... his granddaughter has an uncanny "Melnitz" resemblance.

I just have a feeling that this movie is going to do right by Harold Ramis... and Egon's legacy.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

I wonder if any of the 2016 director and actors have commented on the new trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I wonder if any of the 2016 director and actors have commented on the new trailer.
    Not sure, but I saw some dude on Twitter reeeing about how 'Toxic fan boys should not be rewarded with this movie.' LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    Not sure, but I saw some dude on Twitter reeeing about how 'Toxic fan boys should not be rewarded with this movie.' LOL!
    If it angers certain peope on Twitter then it's bound to be a good movie.

I seen something about a guy on Twitter being angry about it. Fans should be getting rewarded after the terrible 2016 film. Sony should have been issuing apologies and refunds to everyone that went to that movie.

If it angers certain peope on Twitter then it's bound to be a good movie.
    That is the main reason I decided to give the Mandalorian a try :P I figure if it makes the Twitter weirdos angry then it has to be good.

Leslie Jones has and I can't repeat what she said without breaking forum rules. Just seeing how upset she got made the whole movie worth it.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    I have to wonder if after the events of the second film, and, as stated in the trailer "No ghost sighting in 30 years" if they went out of business again, and Egon had the containment unit moved and buried in that mine shaft we see something erupt from. Now it's failing, and bad things are happening LOL
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Heroic Warrior
    nice. not a bad idea. Hadn't thought about that. I had something else in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    I have to wonder if after the events of the second film, and, as stated in the trailer "No ghost sighting in 30 years" if they went out of business again, and Egon had the containment unit moved and buried in that mine shaft we see something erupt from. Now it's failing, and bad things are happening LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Good theory
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.