Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters: Afterlife

My wife and I are pretty big Ghostbusters fans, and we saw this last night...

While we both really enjoyed it, it definitely wasn't what I was expecting - mostly.

It gets off to a slow start and really finds its footing about 1/3 in to the movie.

Also, I cannot deny that I too had tears in my eyes at more than one point...

Overall, a good movie, and a must for GB fans... but, GB1 will always remain the reigning champion.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

While an explanation for the Summer School wasn't essential for the ghost plot, a single line could have explained it (and acquiring credit is interesting if that is the reason). I might have missed such a line, but I do think you need details like that. I thought it was too bad that Trevor didn't have much reason to be there except to fix/drive the car, but maybe they had it in mind he'd do more building in a sequel (assuming Winston doesn't just pay for it all in the future).

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    That's a really interesting thing to get hung up on, but to each their own I guess. I mean I kinda liked the idea of them together too, but Ghostbusters II already kinda made me feel like that wasn't gonna be "canon" so I just stopped caring about it after that point.
    Interestingly Afterlife now establishes that Egon had a daughter, Callie, when GB2 was set, which maybe explains why Janine was all into Louis Tully in GB2 since Egon may well have broken her heart. Afterlife clearly leaves it open again that there was still something between them in the years since, though she doesn’t get a big farewell with him at the end, which would’ve been better for shippers. The cartoon hasn't been canon for any of the movies since ghost busting just seems to have dried up relatively quickly after both original movies, but the Janine/Egon ship started with the first movie so it makes sense it returns since it wasn't a cartoon invention.

I think Reitman has said there actually is a reason Ecto-1's logo isn't the same as GB2 (holding up the two fingers), although he may just be saying that to hype a sequel that hasn't been written yet.
    Last edited by gbagok; November 21, 2021 at 05:53pm.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Well, it was already established way before GBII even came out that the cartoons and the movies aren't in the same universe anyways. So at least in the cartoon universe, the Egon/Janine ship is canon.

I mean, I liked it, I kinda wanted them to be together myself. As I said, though, when I saw GBII I just kinda shrugged and said "Okay, so they're not together, at least in the movies". It is what it is. Apparently Ramis himself was never a fan of the pairing and supposedly that's why it's not canon in the films. Since this movie is a giant tribute to him, specifically, putting that in there against his wishes would've been a bit shady, even if a lot of fans wanted it. So I get it.
    -----------

I read an article yesterday where Reitman confirms that GBII is definitely still canon, and they're planning on addressing Ecto-1A, Vigo, and other things people keep asking about in future movies. Obviously Ray's bookstore is a callback, but one that I missed is that the toaster from GBII is in Egon's lab or something. I guess he was still sleeping with it!

But yeah, I love GBII so to hear that if they do more movies we'll get some more callbacks to that one is encouraging.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Well, it was already established way before GBII even came out that the cartoons and the movies aren't in the same universe anyways. So at least in the cartoon universe, the Egon/Janine ship is canon.

I mean, I liked it, I kinda wanted them to be together myself. As I said, though, when I saw GBII I just kinda shrugged and said "Okay, so they're not together, at least in the movies". It is what it is. Apparently Ramis himself was never a fan of the pairing and supposedly that's why it's not canon in the films. Since this movie is a giant tribute to him, specifically, putting that in there against his wishes would've been a bit shady, even if a lot of fans wanted it. So I get it.
    -----------

I read an article yesterday where Reitman confirms that GBII is definitely still canon, and they're planning on addressing Ecto-1A, Vigo, and other things people keep asking about in future movies. Obviously Ray's bookstore is a callback, but one that I missed is that the toaster from GBII is in Egon's lab or something. I guess he was still sleeping with it!

But yeah, I love GBII so to hear that if they do more movies we'll get some more callbacks to that one is encouraging.
    Actually, the cartoon universe is the prime reality.

Meaning that the GB do exist in NYC and both the original GB and GBII were fictional accounts based on the real-life exploits of the RGB... in the case of "Citizen Ghost," Peter recalls the events of the first movie, which in itself, was a Hollywood retelling of the Gozer battle according to RGB canon. In the episode "Take Two," they are filming another movie based on the exploits of the RGB and they even have actors named Ramis, Aykroyd, and Murray - to which Winston says, "...sound like a law firm."

So, we can assume that the events of GB, GBII and GBA are all consistent within the RGB metaverse.

I always figured it was like how Wolverine described the X-Men's comic book adventures in the Logan movie. "Some of it happened, some of it didn't, but even the stuff that did happen didn't happen exactly the same way."

Because for example, "Extreme Ghostbusters" is canon with RGB, I think, but I'm almost positive that Extreme Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters: Afterlife do not take place in the same universe at all. This movie also means the 2009 video game is not likely canon, either, due to the Shandor stuff - although I bet someone could "force it" to fit.

So I think there's some overlap between Ghostbusters universes but I doubt they're all completely in sync. Some things simply don't make sense to have happened across ALL the different realities/timelines/whatever you'd call it. There's simply too much that can't be reconciled.

In this case, my headcanon is that Egon in Janine became an item in the cartoon universe, but not the movie universe. Likewise, I don't know if we ever got confirmation about Peter and Dana getting married in the cartoons but the new movie sure hints at that being the case in the one scene.

So, some things happened in ALL GB universes, some things only happened in certain ones, and some of them happened with minor deviations in still others. That's the way I look at it.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    This movie also means the 2009 video game is not likely canon, either, due to the Shandor stuff - although I bet someone could "force it" to fit.
    I don't recall Shandor's body being in the game, just his ghost. So I don't see why it still couldn't fit in some way. Ah well, any excuse to go back and play the game
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    I don't recall Shandor's body being in the game, just his ghost. So I don't see why it still couldn't fit in some way. Ah well, any excuse to go back and play the game
    Just remember, the Wii version is the best of the bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Actually, the cartoon universe is the prime reality.

Meaning that the GB do exist in NYC and both the original GB and GBII were fictional accounts based on the real-life exploits of the RGB... in the case of "Citizen Ghost," Peter recalls the events of the first movie, which in itself, was a Hollywood retelling of the Gozer battle according to RGB canon. In the episode "Take Two," they are filming another movie based on the exploits of the RGB and they even have actors named Ramis, Aykroyd, and Murray - to which Winston says, "...sound like a law firm."

So, we can assume that the events of GB, GBII and GBA are all consistent within the RGB metaverse.
    I always thought Winston should have complained in that episode that he thought Arsenio Hall was going to play him. Sort of a wink and nod to their own voice cast. Ernie Hudson was not as well known then as he is today. The main reason GBA messes with the RGB timeline is that Egon has a daughter and maybe other family that it never mentioned. Although Louis does later show up, Dana and Oscar are never mentioned either.
    Last edited by Dave-Man; November 23, 2021 at 03:38pm.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"I saw the Devil today, and he looked a lot like me. I turned away."
    -Five Finger Death Punch, "Wrong Side of Heaven"

I disagree, Orn, BUT I did love the Wii version and how it did well to stand as its own game despite not being as graphically sharp as the other versions. They did great with it! If anyone ignored or avoided it based on the graphics, or the feeling that it would be a "lesser" version, I would tell those people that they're very, very mistaken and encourage them to check it out.

Also, that's a fair point Optimus. I really love the game regardless though so it will always be "canon" to ME!

I disagree, Orn, BUT I did love the Wii version and how it did well to stand as its own game despite not being as graphically sharp as the other versions. They did great with it! If anyone ignored or avoided it based on the graphics, or the feeling that it would be a "lesser" version, I would tell those people that they're very, very mistaken and encourage them to check it out.

Also, that's a fair point Optimus. I really love the game regardless though so it will always be "canon" to ME!
    Dan Aykroyd has gone on record saying that the GB Video Game is GBIII... so in essence, it is canon.

The reason that I prefer the Wii version to the PS3 / XB360 is the level design. The Wii makes so many good changes to the otherwise bland levels of the other consoles...

Also, the toony character design works so much better (for me) than the weird almost-human-but-kinda-plastic "realistic" characters models.

And, of course, using the Wiimote as a neutrona wand is just plain fun!! (It doesn't overheat as quickly either!)

Really, the biggest missed opportunity is the lack of the RGB color scheme after beating the game. (Atari didn't obtain the rights in time... )

maxresdefault.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    I always thought Winston should have complained in that episode that he thought Arsenio Hall was going to play him. Sort of a wink and nod to their own voice cast. Ernie Hudson was not as well known then as he is today. The main reason GBA messes with the RGB timeline is that Egon has a daughter and maybe other family that it never mentioned. Although Louis does later show up, Dana and Oscar are never mentioned either.
    That would have been great!

Or, Winston could have said something about a cop who goes to Beverly Hills (because Eddie Murphy was supposed to play him in the original draft...)

RGB colors would have been a great unlockable. That would've been cool, for sure.

And the Wii version of the game does have a ton of personality. I prefer the photo-realism of the other versions BUT the Wii version's visuals do a great job of working around the fact that they could never reproduce them. I liked how it was like 98% the same game but had its own little Wii-specific bits which took great advantage of the platform. Especially since at least some folks probably only had a Wii and not the other systems, but they didn't get an "inferior" port as so many Wii ports were. As it is, you're not the only one who prefers the Wii version! I don't agree that it's "better" but I definitely won't fight too hard against those who do. I'd say "pretty much just as good from a different direction", myself. But either way, that version of the game was a VERY pleasant surprise!

One of these days I gotta play the remaster on Xbox One. I picked it up and just never got to it yet. All the excitement lately gives me a good excuse. Might play the Wii version again right after, just for fun. That's how I did it last time, too, I played the 360 version and then the Wii version right after. Tons of fun!

Y'know what else was alright, was that "Sanctum of Slime" twin-stick shooter. I finally beat that a few months ago after having it sitting on my 360 hard drive forever. Nothing mind-blowing but I had a lot of fun with it!

RGB colors would have been a great unlockable. That would've been cool, for sure.

And the Wii version of the game does have a ton of personality. I prefer the photo-realism of the other versions BUT the Wii version's visuals do a great job of working around the fact that they could never reproduce them. I liked how it was like 98% the same game but had its own little Wii-specific bits which took great advantage of the platform. Especially since at least some folks probably only had a Wii and not the other systems, but they didn't get an "inferior" port as so many Wii ports were. As it is, you're not the only one who prefers the Wii version! I don't agree that it's "better" but I definitely won't fight too hard against those who do. I'd say "pretty much just as good from a different direction", myself. But either way, that version of the game was a VERY pleasant surprise!

One of these days I gotta play the remaster on Xbox One. I picked it up and just never got to it yet. All the excitement lately gives me a good excuse. Might play the Wii version again right after, just for fun. That's how I did it last time, too, I played the 360 version and then the Wii version right after. Tons of fun!

Y'know what else was alright, was that "Sanctum of Slime" twin-stick shooter. I finally beat that a few months ago after having it sitting on my 360 hard drive forever. Nothing mind-blowing but I had a lot of fun with it!
    Oh, without a doubt both are great games.

I just think that the PS/XB versions relied to heavily on the "slime tether" gimmick... (and that cemetery battle... ugh.)

Sanctum of Slime is a really fun game too! It's even better with a bunch of friends playing together...

One reason I really like it is because I always just thought of Bridgette as Lucy, the rookie GB from Kotobukiya's Bishoujo line.

I own both the original and recolored versions of this statue, and I love her to death... even though she's smaller than most other Bishoujo statues.

No matter how good the movie might be, I won't be paying money to see it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lik_Sang

Sony put an online retailer out of business over a non-issue. When Sony lost their lawsuit, they filed appeals until the store owners were destitute from court fees. Corporations can abuse a court system that ruled against them to crush the people they dislike regardless. Sony has never apologized & I stopped giving them money right then. A movie isn't going to make me break a boycott. Maybe if people were more willing to boycott horrible businesses, they'd have less power to abuse. Also this is more proof that laws need to be adjusted to allow only equal representation for both sides, so someone can't be simply crushed by the other side having 20 lawyers at their disposal, but no company will ever allow that. Go ahead, sue a corporation that wronged you, see how far you get without 6 figures of cash to throw at the problem.
    supersonic250 needs to have a seat over there with Chris Hansen, Zaush belongs in prison & Clownfish TV doesn't understand facts or logic.

I remember this from a long time ago... didn't they get sued by Sega and Nintendo for selling modded consoles?

And, if I remember from the GameFAQs forums, Lik-Sang intentionally broke the law by selling hardware/software that was not yet available in parts of the world. By doing this, it cost companies like Sony and Microsoft tons of release-day profits and lowered demand for the hardware that was being distributed before the street date.

I went and saw the movie with my kids. It was pretty cool. I like what they did with the ending. I'm not sure if it was wise for the ghost to show where the trap was towards the beginning of the film. It seemed to do more harm than good.

I don't know if it's common knowledge or not, but there are TWO end-credits scenes...

A heads-up for anyone who hasn't seen this yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I don't know if it's common knowledge or not, but there are TWO end-credits scenes...

A heads-up for anyone who hasn't seen this yet.
    As much as I like the throwback in the first scene, the second was by far better.

We saw it tonight, andirons loved it! Hayley was terrified a few times, but my wife is kind of a chicken. Unfortunately, Hermione fell asleep about 3/4 of the way through. (She woke up unnecessarily early this morning, and had a long, busy day.)
    MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

Several of us went and watched the movie together. All of us enjoyed it.
    Out of the darkness and into your mind

I'm going for a second viewing tonight with my brother! Obviously was not going to top the first, but it was a fine farewell to Egon/Harold, for that alone, it was well worth the wait! Hopefully will sweep the 2016 one under the rug!
    Demand quality.

This movie also means the 2009 video game is not likely canon, either, due to the Shandor stuff - although I bet someone could "force it" to fit.
    The Shandor part of the story can easily still work. Just like Gozer, his spirit was never captured, just forced back into the Gozerian realm. Although his body was said to be buried under NYC in the videogame, his followers could have moved it to his new resting place in Oklahoma, as there is a 30 year gap between the events of the game and Afterlife.

There is nothing in the new movie that directly contradicts the storyline of the videogame, other than the implication that the Rookie Ghostbuster went on to establish new franchises in other cities at the end (he was clearly unsuccessful, likely due to the ghost activity drying up in the aftermath of the events of 1991). Shandor's appearance in the movie is also very similar to how he looks in the game. LIke you said, there are some minor deviations, but nothing major.

Yeah, I'm actually playing the Remastered version of the game over the last couple of days and I can see some ways where it can still fit with only some gentle massaging.

Also, still a really good game! It shows its age in some spots, such as the lack of very many things to interact with in the Firehouse - there's a handful, but you just know there'd be a ton more if the game were made nowadays - and the lip syncing is way off. But it's still a ton of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    As much as I like the throwback in the first scene, the second was by far better.
    Yes, that was great!

And, it really hints at the possibility of more sequels...

Saw it a couple of days after opening day and i enjoyed it! one of the better movies i've seen all year.

As a long time fan of the franchise for 36 years since i saw the 85 re-issue at age 4, the animated show as i taped it every afternoon/saturday mornings as a kid, had toys and all and saw GB 2 in theaters even enjoying Extreme Ghostbusters as a teen and the comics with 2009 game, i was surprised.

This was everything the 2016 disaster known as Wokebusters wasn't! the problem with the 2016 movie on why it was a failure as a movie was because it was about woke agenda/identity politics/ and virtue signaling than telling a good story as it was a bad SNL skit gone wrong and characters as that movie every single character within the movie sucked even the himbo (male bimbo) being Chris Hemsworth's character being a dumb airhead who don't know how to operate a phone, the villain was lame as he literally was a guy who lives in a basement, poop/vomit/fart jokes, unfunny jokes even about chinese food, poor pacing, and the film was a total insult to the franchise and it's fanbase because Feig and his co-writer admitted were not fans of the franchise but only did it for a paycheck and all especially when it broke the rules of Ghostbusters by having the GBs in 2016 kill the ghosts as they were suppose to "bust" ghost like cops do with criminals. Not to mention a lousy script that is rotten, even having the logo of the franchise as the villain and having him shot in the crotch by the GBs, not a good thing. There was no respect to the franchise in that movie as it was a passionless soulless cashgrab and made by people who didn't care about the franchise.

This one has a nice script, great performances by the cast yet the best character is Phoebe, now there's an actual likable female GB in the tradition of Kylie on Ghostbusters Extreme and better than the ones in the 2016 movie as she has personality and charisma even a deadpan sense of humor to her. I like how there was use of practical effects and CGI combined, the muncher was an interesting new ghost. There is some familiar elements of the first movie shown, but i'm glad they didn't retcon part 2 because part 2 is still canon and it's set 30 years after the second movie after the GBs retired after the ghosts were defeated.

The mini Stay Pufts were adorable and had a Gremlins/The Gate/Young Sherlock Holmes pasties vibe to them! nice cinematography, nice appearances by the old cast and that the ending was very touching.

Hope when they do another Ghostbusters movie, i'd love to see them do a GB academy and have new villains like a haunted Japanese mask that was cursed by an old Japanese homicidal warlord on whoever wears it will be possessed by him or maybe a South American demon who comes out of treasure that was shipped to the US only to possess a mayor of a city.

It totally redeemed the franchise and one of my favorite movies of the year.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    While an explanation for the Summer School wasn't essential for the ghost plot, a single line could have explained it (and acquiring credit is interesting if that is the reason). I might have missed such a line, but I do think you need details like that. I thought it was too bad that Trevor didn't have much reason to be there except to fix/drive the car, but maybe they had it in mind he'd do more building in a sequel (assuming Winston doesn't just pay for it all in the future).

Interestingly Afterlife now establishes that Egon had a daughter, Callie, when GB2 was set, which maybe explains why Janine was all into Louis Tully in GB2 since Egon may well have broken her heart. Afterlife clearly leaves it open again that there was still something between them in the years since, though she doesn’t get a big farewell with him at the end, which would’ve been better for shippers. The cartoon hasn't been canon for any of the movies since ghost busting just seems to have dried up relatively quickly after both original movies, but the Janine/Egon ship started with the first movie so it makes sense it returns since it wasn't a cartoon invention.

I think Reitman has said there actually is a reason Ecto-1's logo isn't the same as GB2 (holding up the two fingers), although he may just be saying that to hype a sequel that hasn't been written yet.
    Callie was born in 1980 if you go by the photos. Egon's relationship with her mother likely ended when he was a professor before the original movie.