Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Origins Castle Grayskull Speculation Thread

Heroic Warrior

MOTU Origins Castle Grayskull Speculation Thread

https://m.facebook.com/MastersoftheU...391208313383:0

So, according to the brief but intriguing response in regards to Castle Grayskull being a re-release of the MOTUC one or a brand new Origins one, which one do you guys think will get released?
    Wanted in MOTUC: 1) Purple Masks of Power Demon 2) Mini-Comics Tri-Klops 3) Hoove 4) Vintage Attack Trak 5) Leech (Club Grayskull)
    Wanted in MOTUO: 1) Tri-Klops 2) Dragon Blaster Skeletor

Heroic Warrior
    My guess is that it's the Classics Grayskull, because the molds are done, minus some accessories such as the chains and maybe the training thing.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Unmotivated webcomicker KidTDragon's Avatar
    And I'm sure Mattel's eager to recoup some of the cost of making it.
    Track your MotU collection at shmax.com!

Almost Comics: Occasionally updated. Occasionally funny.

XBL Gamertag: KidTDragon
    PSN User ID: KidTDragon
    Nintendo Network ID: KidTDragon
    Steam: KidTDragon

Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    My guess is that it's the Classics Grayskull, because the molds are done, minus some accessories such as the chains and maybe the training thing.
    I really hope this is the case. I never bought the Classics version and will need it to go with Snake Mountain.

I think they'll make a smaller, cheaper version of it.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    The Funko Batcave was around $60 if I remember right. They might try to go that route. I hope not.

I hope they can release an affordable Greyskull playset for the kids Origins is aimed at.

That wouldn’t be reuse of the molds and thus incur significant retooling cost. They likely want to reuse to allow for a lower price point.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiEternia He-Man View Post
    I really hope this is the case. I never bought the Classics version and will need it to go with Snake Mountain.
    It's amazing!. I have kept carded for 5 years because of space then 2 weeks ago decided to open and display, it is a masterpiece! a work of modern art

I'm a bit concerned about Snake Mountain instead because also opened most of my CG figures yesterday and apart from man at arms, they look a bit off to me, plastic used it's just not the same just not looking solid figures, I mean they are great because it's filmation counterparts of A-list, please let SM be just a good playset that will last over time
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

Heroic Warrior
    My thinking as well.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I reckon you're right.
    Wanted in MOTUC: 1) Purple Masks of Power Demon 2) Mini-Comics Tri-Klops 3) Hoove 4) Vintage Attack Trak 5) Leech (Club Grayskull)
    Wanted in MOTUO: 1) Tri-Klops 2) Dragon Blaster Skeletor

This is interesting, it'd be cool if they used the same Classics version at the same size, but it would then be rather expensive, so they'd probably shrink it...

The Classics castle is unreachable and very very beautiful! But it's big and it costs a lot. It takes so much space and therefore too many problems. I would be happy if they did it slightly larger than the vintage version.

I would guess the same. I have a hard time seeing the full-size MOTUC Castle on the shelf at retail. It's huge.

I think they'll just re-use the mold from Classics and re-release that one, with slightly different (better?) paint apps on the facade and re-sculpt things like the laser gun and Weapons Rak so that they better fit into the hands/match the scale of a 5.5" line. Everything else (the elevator, trap door, the size of the jawbridge, etc) seems like it would display great with smaller figures anyways. And being mass produced a second time around, I don't imagine they'll attach a $300plus price tag to it for places like Wal-Mart or Target.

I would actually be pretty surprised if they sculpted a brand new Grayskull from top to bottom for another line.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I would actually be pretty surprised if they sculpted a brand new Grayskull from top to bottom for another line.
    That would be so perfect to awaken this dormant franchise from decades of sleeping
    I mean this is it or nothing, one last chance to revive MOTU and a brand new sculpt for mass retail of the iconic Castle Grayskull would be bare to minimum next to invest on a live action series or new media, why not? plus there's still room for a more Filmation inspired one
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

Heroic Warrior
    I'd love to be wrong on this one, but I have a feeling they'll make a smaller, cheaper, open-backed version if Origins even gets to the point of being around long enough to produce a Castle. I can't envision Target accepting an enormous Classics-sized box in their diminishing toy aisles. Assuming Target will even carry Origins at brick and mortar, that is. Walmart maybe would, but then they'd hack down the MSRP as low as possible, which again to me points to a smaller and simpler CG.

Yeah, as much as I would love for them to reissue the MOTUC Grayskull-- I was unable to get one at the time, and cannot possibly afford one for what they sell for now-- I really doubt that's what will happen. It would have a huge footprint on store shelves, at a time when shelf space in the dwindling toy aisles is at a higher premium than ever. And while mass production would lead to a much lower MSRP than the Classics version had the first time around, it would still be expensive enough that its price would be detrimental. I'll be shocked (pleasantly so) if they don't go with a smaller, cheaper Grayskull.

A somewhat downsized Classics Castle would be AMAZING, I’d definitely buy one to play with together with my son (he digs the Classics castle a lot!g.

I'd be surprise as well to see Mattel reusing the same exact MOTUC CG in the same scale, it would take a good chunk of retail shelf-space! Probably scaling it down is the way to go if they don't wanna reuse the old vintage molds (if they still even exist!).
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I reckon they will sculpt and release a brand new CG playset, smaller than the Classics one but larger than the vintage one. Less paint apps, more plasticky accessories with less paint. Around the $100 mark.
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

perfection would be a cross between the dimensions of vintage and classics.

Until now for what we seen Mattel is just copying the vintage toyline, nothing more.
    They only added more articulations and changed a little bit the packagings look and that's all.

Same scale, 95% the same sculpts, mini comics with the same kind of designs, animated Tv show (probably very close to the Filmation's one), vintage painting copied for the battle cat packaging (by the way also exactly the same packaging model and size).

It's like if Mattel was trying in one last effort with Origin to relaunch the Motu license but without taking new "ideas" risk, they are just copying what was done 35 years before with minus changes.
    It is why I am thinking that they'll do a new castle Grayskull very close to the vintage one with the same size.
    Last edited by TOKYONEVER; December 17, 2019 at 01:44pm.

Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    Until now for what we seen Mattel is just copying the vintage toyline, nothing more.
    They only added more articulations and changed a little bit the packagings look and that's all.

Same scale, 95% the same sculpts, mini comics with the same kind of designs, animated Tv show (probably very close to the Filmation's one), vintage painting copied for the battle cat packaging (by the way also exactly the same packaging model and size).

It's like if Mattel was trying in one last effort with Origin to relaunch the Motu license but without taking new "ideas" risk, they are just copying what was done 35 years before with minus changes.
    It is why I am thinking that they'll do a new castle Grayskull very close to the vintage one with the same size.
    I think you're right there - I would guess the 1982 castle will be the model for it. I wouldn't be surprised if there were maybe some features brought over from the MOTUC castle, like the secret doors, maybe a few Imaginext-style action features as well.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Fist View Post
    Yeah, as much as I would love for them to reissue the MOTUC Grayskull-- I was unable to get one at the time, and cannot possibly afford one for what they sell for now-- I really doubt that's what will happen. It would have a huge footprint on store shelves, at a time when shelf space in the dwindling toy aisles is at a higher premium than ever. And while mass production would lead to a much lower MSRP than the Classics version had the first time around, it would still be expensive enough that its price would be detrimental. I'll be shocked (pleasantly so) if they don't go with a smaller, cheaper Grayskull.
    It’s not THAT much bigger than the WWEU ring pack, volume wise.

Essentially, though, for this to get retail presence and be offered at an affordable price, they probably would need to make it a more or less one off run with a holiday endcap release.

A big $129 item that goes half price quickly with no restocks.