Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Origins Castle Grayskull Speculation Thread - Photo Posted!

Any guess on when In Stores? If target has it in system, it must be soon.

* The flag is too small.
    * The depth was cut back (too much) so the elevator hangs off of the floor's edge.
    * The drawbridge looks ugly with brown on the inside. Mattel should not have skimped on the paint here.
    * The ladder looks too wide considering the size of the figures and in relation to the size of the throne and elevator. This gives it an exaggerated appearance.
    * The new laser cannon's design does not look vintage accurate and is ugly in my opinion.
    * What is the accessory behind the ladder? A small book shelf or chair perhaps?
    * There is no space suit accessory! This should be included with the the playset as a fully articulated Origins figure.
    * The elevator, elevator rail, and elevator stop all appear to be vintage accurate, which I really enjoy.
    * The tower roof in the upper-left corner is too rounded at the top. It has two windows instead of one, which could look okay not sure.
    * The castle's green color appears to resemble the 200X castle. It should match the vintage castle or Classics castle, not the 200X one!
    * The flagpole's color should match the vintage tan, or Classics gold, not white.
    * The weapon rack is too small and has too few weapons displayed on it. I'm okay with the appropriate brown color.
    * What is displayed on the wall to the right of Sorceress?
    * Did Mattel have the foresight to design the top of the castle so Point Dread will fit over it? I assume so.
    * I like the added level that the flagpole is sitting on top of.
    * Great to see Mattel included the dungeon sticker and that it's not hidden.
    * Mattel should certainly include the Four Horsemen fully in the work being done on the Origins line!
    * Wishing we were given a Filmation Sorceress or vintage accurate Sorceress with Castle Grayskull since both versions of Sorceress should be highly desired in this line. It's a wasted opportunity IMO.
    * Wanting to get a better look at the throne.
    * They left out the triangle weapon rack!
    * Mattel should include pegs on the inside wall used to display banners, weapons, torches, and other accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I love it and will buy it (even though I'm already using Classics Grayskull with my Origins figures). I also love that it not only comes with a TOD Sorceress, but they figured out a way to do her wings that improves on both the Classics (no more drums!) and the vintage (no more action feature-controlled wings!).
    Man, I can NOT wait to see the new box art for this beast! Also, this gives me hope we will also see Snake Mountain (as an update of the vintage design).
    Is that for sure that this Sorceress comes with the Castle?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    * The flag is too small.
    * The depth was cut back (too much) so the elevator hangs off of the floor's edge.
    * The drawbridge looks ugly with brown on the inside. Mattel should not have skimped on the paint here.
    * The ladder looks too wide considering the size of the figures and in relation to the size of the throne and elevator. This gives it an exaggerated appearance.
    * The new laser cannon's design does not look vintage accurate and is ugly in my opinion.
    * What is the accessory behind the ladder? A small book shelf or chair perhaps?
    * There is no space suit accessory! This should be included with the the playset as a fully articulated Origins figure.
    * The elevator, elevator rail, and elevator stop all appear to be vintage accurate, which I really enjoy.
    * The tower roof in the upper-left corner is too rounded at the top. It has two windows instead of one, which could look okay not sure.
    * The castle's green color appears to resemble the 200X castle. It should match the vintage castle or Classics castle, not the 200X one!
    * The flagpole's color should match the vintage tan, or Classics gold, not white.
    * The weapon rack is too small and has too few weapons displayed on it. I'm okay with the appropriate brown color.
    * What is displayed on the wall to the right of Sorceress?
    * Did Mattel have the foresight to design the top of the castle so Point Dread will fit over it? I assume so.
    * I like the added level that the flagpole is sitting on top of.
    * Great to see Mattel included the dungeon sticker and that it's not hidden.
    * Mattel should certainly include the Four Horsemen fully in the work being done on the Origins line!
    * Wishing we were given a Filmation Sorceress or vintage accurate Sorceress with Castle Grayskull since both versions of Sorceress should be highly desired in this line. It's a wasted opportunity IMO.
    * Wanting to get a better look at the throne.
    * They left out the triangle weapon rack!
    * Mattel should include pegs on the inside wall used to display banners, weapons, torches, and other accessories.
    The thing behind the ladder looks to be the torture rack from the prototype (although it's vertical now), but may be another weapons rack. The thing next to the Sorceress seems to be another computer (why they wasted tooling on that instead of the robot suit dude or the triangle weapons rack is beyond me), and they might paint the inside of the Jaw Bridge. We've seen deco changes and things like that throughout this line (Skeletor's boots, He-Man's power harness and axe, and the weird blue effect thing on BA He-Man, which was yellow in the physical prototype photo).

I'm willing to bet that the Sorceress will get a classic colors variant as a carded release.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERHEMANMIKE View Post
    So glad weíre getting a Grayskull, but Iím concerned about the hinge area. Granted, this is a leaked low res photo, but It doesnít look like thereís an actual hinge system like the original. It looks like itís one peace of plastic that has a foldable seam...
    I'm hoping they're either on the outside or that's just a thing because this is a resin model.

Heroic Warrior
    Promise iím not a villan!! That looks awful if that is it. I get it needs to be cheap to have a lower price point but seriously this canít be it! I sure hope not I had the original when I was a kid and really that pic feels like a preproduction from early 80s. That is just my opinion guys sorry donít give me hate please. Itís just my honest opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    My guess is that it's the Classics Grayskull, because the molds are done, minus some accessories such as the chains and maybe the training thing.
    Actually I have the Classics one, this looks very close to the vintage Grayskull. Not sure about the console station next to the elevator, and the ladder is different but this looks pretty close to the 82 CG.

Heroic Warrior
    I think it looks alright, about what I expected given that MOTU:O tries to hit a certain price point. I expect the final release to look and feel fairly similar to the vintage Grayskull, which in my book is just fine. No words on release date, I guess? I am guessing Q4 2021, or Q1 2022. So plenty of time to obsess over details from a blurry pre-production test shot

Ohhh where is the space suit

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyCulture View Post
    That was not the source. The image surfaced through confidential infos sent to German retailers. It was shown in public first by a German fan who searched through an online retailer's website. As it seems, the retailer just was preparing his shop for upcoming offers but didn't expect fans to dig for images once news arrived that Grayskull was listed in some German computer systems already.

- - - - - - - - - -

Unlike many figures, this playset actually makes me feel excited. It is pretty much a modification of the vintage Grayskull, just as everyone could and should have expected. It includes a lot of stuff and an actual action-figure. And it has a lower price than what Playmates charges for their TMNT playsets since 2012 (which feel like they are mostly made up from cardboard). Can't really complain here yet.

Personally, I'm positively amused about the not-so-enthusiastic reactions on the internet. Many fans seemed to be perfectly fine with stuff like a monkey-faced Skeletor with badly painted teeth. Now they are all about "Grayskull looks like a cheap knockoff". And still, I bet 99% of them are gonna buy it regardless, as they always do. Gotta love 'em fanboys.
    Last edited by Sir Reilly; September 16, 2020 at 09:12am.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    It looks as I expected it to look, pretty decent, its a toy after all so won't be like the Classics one.

I'll probably pick it up when its released as I sold my vintage CG and got rid of the 200X one.

I like the inclusion of TOD Sorceress
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    It looks as I expected it to look, pretty decent, its a toy after all so won't be like the Classics one.

I'll probably pick it up when its released as I sold my vintage CG and got rid of the 200X one.

I like the inclusion of TOD Sorceress
    I feel the same. This is a toy. That fake news from the German toyfair really gave people the wrong ideas on this line. This saves me from rebuying the vintage castle. I really wish that first prototype had been in the cards. Maybe some day.

P.s. this thing needs a a map/play mat under the castle. That would flush it out nice.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

I can understand why they went with this size, but I was kinda hoping it was the Classics scaled version.

Oh well, I have some craft foam lying around somewhere....

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    That was not the source. The image surfaced through confidential infos sent to German retailers. It was shown in public first by a German fan who searched through an online retailer's website. The retailer was preparing his shop for upcoming offers but didn't expect fans to dig for images once news arrived that Grayskull was listed in some German computer systems already.

- - - - - - - - - -

Unlike many figures, this playset actually makes me feel excited. It is pretty much a modification of the vintage Grayskull, just as everyone could and should have expected. It includes a lot of stuff and an actual action-figure. And it has a lower price than what Playmates charges for their TMNT playsets since 2012 (which feel like they are mostly made up from cardboard). Can't really complain here yet.

Personally, I'm positively amused about the not-so-enthusiastic reactions on the internet. Many fans seemed to be perfectly fine with stuff like a monkey-faced Skeletor with badly painted teeth. Now they are all about "Grayskull looks like a cheap knockoff". And still, I bet 99% of them are gonna buy it regardless, as they always do. Gotta love 'em fanboys.
    Yes, I will buy it, but I have the same feeling about it as I have had about the entire Origins line. So far, everything seems like a mediocre update of the vintage line. None of it has made me go "wow, this is SO much better than the vintage version!", which is what I'd expect a line like this to do. Instead I keep feeling like the look of most items are mostly inferior to the vintage versions. Mattel could and should be doing so much better than they are.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

First off I will be getting this version of Grayskull because im an addict and need my MOTU fix and I want to support the toyline but I was expecting a little more. I knew that the Classics version would not be used but I do think they have missed a trick with this version.
    All the artwork so far seems to show Grayskull as the Alcala/Orginal prototype and this is what they should of gone for in my opinion and would like to know why they havent.

Id like to see the pawn back ontop the front facade at least as i think they have included the ledge. I also was hoping for a more organic shape as opposed to the rather straight lines of the sides. I think they should have gone with the red laser gun design and the circuilar lift design also and included the missing triangled wepons rack. And where is the spacesuit!???

I think these few modifications would have better suited the promo artwork so far and pleased older fans by giving us something new whilst still appealing to younger fans.

Id love to know why they didnt go this route.

I still think the product as a whole is confused, it want to be retro but cant keep its eye off the Alcala/ original prototypes for inspiration.

What we all wanted was the ORIGINS. The orginal protype ideas, if they can fix this at the start they have all of us older fans onboard as well as the new younger fans who wouldnt notice the small differences we all do.

I donít get the complaining. ďIt looks cheap.Ē ďIím disappointed.Ē ďItís not what I expected.Ē

1) Itís a kidsí toy.
    2) It needs to be as inexpensive as possible or it wonít sell.
    3) An expensive collectorís version was already released. Itís called Classics Castle Grayskull.
    4) For $75 (if the Target DPCI scan was true/correct) it comes with a $15 Sorceress figure, so the Castle and accessories themselves are $60. Thatís well priced considering flocked Panthor will be $40 and the latest wave of Classics figures were $40-50 themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mizterfish View Post
    I donít get the complaining. ďIt looks cheap.Ē ďIím disappointed.Ē ďItís not what I expected.Ē

1) Itís a kidsí toy.
    3) An expensive collectorís version was already released. Itís called Classics Castle Grayskull.
    4) For $75 (if the Target DPCI scan was true/correct) it comes with a $15 Sorceress figure, so the Castle and accessories themselves are $60. Thatís well priced considering flocked Panthor will be $40 and the latest wave of Classics figures were $40-50 themselves.

My thoughts exactly!
    I get the complaints if CG was a pre-order unit and part of an expensive subscription, but this ins't the case by any means!
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasastard View Post
    I think it looks alright, about what I expected given that MOTU:O tries to hit a certain price point. I expect the final release to look and feel fairly similar to the vintage Grayskull, which in my book is just fine. No words on release date, I guess? I am guessing Q4 2021, or Q1 2022. So plenty of time to obsess over details from a blurry pre-production test shot
    The listing at German retailers says January/February 2021.
    Considering that we still not have many origins figures in stores here in germany yet, I think this is too optimistic

Quote Originally Posted by StarkVader View Post
    Promise iím not a villan!! That looks awful if that is it. I get it needs to be cheap to have a lower price point but seriously this canít be it! I sure hope not I had the original when I was a kid and really that pic feels like a preproduction from early 80s. That is just my opinion guys sorry donít give me hate please. Itís just my honest opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No I'm not giving you any hate what so ever, this line is 80 percent trash, and that is more than likely the Greyskull they will be marketing to y'all. This is a dumbed down, children-centric, Mickey Mouse line... any collector that thought for a minute that Mattel was going to give you quality is seriously kidding themselves or is delusional. I mean Rueben is attached to this line???? I think that is really all I need to say...if you're buying this for the kids and they love it great! I hope it opens doors to their love of Motu! But if you are buying this to fill a hole where classics no longer is just so you can have some Masters of the Universe jazz to buy... well I'm sorry but you will only be met with disappointment eventually. Mattel cares about one thing... and trust me it isn't the fans and their loyal customers.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

I don’t get the complaining. “It looks cheap.” “I’m disappointed.” “It’s not what I expected.”

1) It’s a kids’ toy.
    2) It needs to be as inexpensive as possible or it won’t sell.
    3) An expensive collector’s version was already released. It’s called Classics Castle Grayskull.
    4) For $75 (if the Target DPCI scan was true/correct) it comes with a $15 Sorceress figure, so the Castle and accessories themselves are $60. That’s well priced considering flocked Panthor will be $40 and the latest wave of Classics figures were $40-50 themselves.

5) It looks very much like the vintage Grayskull which everyone swoons over. Now’s your chance to buy one without spending collector prices. It’s no cheaper looking than the vintage one.

Many folks cried over the price tag in the Classics Grayskull too. Even when it got chopped down to half price discount. SMH.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    Update 9/15/2020:

German retailers are listing a release for Castle Grayskull on their websites, and planeteternia.de has posted a photo of what is reported to be the Origins Castle Grayskull with Temple of Darkness Sorceress.

https://www.he-man.org/assets/images...relim_full.jpg

https://m.facebook.com/MastersoftheU...391208313383:0

So, according to the brief but intriguing response in regards to Castle Grayskull being a re-release of the MOTUC one or a brand new Origins one, which one do you guys think will get released?
    Love it😍I was not planning on collecting this line but this changes Our mind.
    It's all been done before. Everything to say has already been said. Do me a solid and pretend I posted something witty and original here

For the inside it looks fine to me. It even has 3 levels. The color may be off (too 200x) but this is a preliminary shot and we haven't even seen the front, which is what really matters. That is where we find out if people will think it looks good or not.

1) Itís a kidsí toy.

100% agree. But you know people are just complaining about it because it's not Classics.

Mattel is putting out an actual toy playset for kids and collectors to enjoy with probably the best designed Sorceress figure yet included for less than $80.

It is what it is. With the aesthetic Origins is clearly going for, did people really expect anything other than a newer version of the original CG? Seriously, we all knew it was going to look (somewhat) like this. I suspect that people are just taking the opportunity to call it cheap and tacky, which is probably what they've been waiting to do since day one.

Again, though, this highlights one of the biggest problems I believe many adult collectors have with the Origins line, in that it looks like a toy line aimed at children.

Good. So it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    No I'm not giving you any hate what so ever, this line is 80 percent trash, and that is more than likely the Greyskull they will be marketing to y'all. This is a dumbed down, children-centric, Mickey Mouse line... any collector that thought for a minute that Mattel was going to give you quality is seriously kidding themselves or is delusional. I mean Rueben is attached to this line???? I think that is really all I need to say...if you're buying this for the kids and they love it great! I hope it opens doors to their love of Motu! But if you are buying this to fill a hole where classics no longer is just so you can have some Masters of the Universe jazz to buy... well I'm sorry but you will only be met with disappointment eventually. Mattel cares about one thing... and trust me it isn't the fans and their loyal customers.
    80% trash?!...
    Is this because some of the sculpts of those heads aren't vintage accurate or is it because the paint apps are minimal, or is it because of the flappy knees or the big cats are missing articulations on the front paws, or is it because of Rueben's taste and lazy decisions?

I have some of the figures in hand, granted the figures aren't perfect aesthetically (That also can be said on some of the vintage, 200X and Classics TBH), but the plastic is solid and durable for a toy, not to mention the multiple points of articulations and the modular nature of these figures where you can swap parts and have fun with customizing your own characters!

And after all the reveals we've seen thus far, with the added action features and multiple heads and hands for the deluxe figures, you also have beasts, vehicles, playsets at decent prices and still this line 80% trash according to you?!

May I ask how did you come up with this conclusion?
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    80% trash?!...
    Is this because some of the sculpts of those heads aren't vintage accurate or is it because the paint apps are minimal, or is it because of the flappy knees or the big cats are missing articulations on the front paws, or is it because of Rueben's taste and lazy decisions?

I have some of the figures in hand, granted the figures aren't perfect aesthetically (That also can be said on some of the vintage, 200X and Classics TBH), but the plastic is solid and durable for a toy, not to mention the multiple points of articulations and the modular nature of these figures where you can swap parts and have fun with customizing your own characters!

And after all the reveals we've seen thus far, with the added action features and multiple heads and hands for the deluxe figures, you also have beasts, vehicles, playsets at decent prices and still this line 80% trash according to you?!

May I ask how did you come up with this conclusion?
    For many complainers, ďNOT CLASSICSĒ = ďTRASHĒ. People complained and ranted about all the minute details of Classics when they were out too, but now its the ďdefinitive MOTU lineĒ and everything else is garbage. I swear some people are only happy when they are miserable.