Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: MOTU Origins Castle Grayskull Speculation Thread - Photo Posted!

Quote Originally Posted by mizterfish View Post
    I swear some people are only happy when they are miserable.
    That's fine with me so long as they don't go and try spreading their own "happiness" all over with prejudice and without justification!
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    80% trash?!...
    Is this because some of the sculpts of those heads aren't vintage accurate or is it because the paint apps are minimal, or is it because of the flappy knees or the big cats are missing articulations on the front paws, or is it because of Rueben's taste and lazy decisions?

I have some of the figures in hand, granted the figures aren't perfect aesthetically (That also can be said on some of the vintage, 200X and Classics TBH), but the plastic is solid and durable for a toy, not to mention the multiple points of articulations and the modular nature of these figures where you can swap parts and have fun with customizing your own characters!

And after all the reveals we've seen thus far, with the added action features and multiple heads and hands for the deluxe figures, you also have beasts, vehicles, playsets at decent prices and still this line 80% trash according to you?!

May I ask how did you come up with this conclusion?

(biggest sigh I can make) If you really want to know how I can make this opinion, I will take the bait.

!. My biggest gripe. (and you said yourself) the figures are not aesthetically pleasing, he-man looks like he's taking a dump, evil-lyn has got RBF, skeletor looks silly rather than scary (even if most of you think its the best representation of the alcala head) it's not!. And teela isn't pretty. They can actually make these look a bit better but they chose not to.
    2. The knees on the girls... well the kness on all of them aren't the best... that flap is unforgivable
    3. Battle cat has chicken drum stick legs... that i saw and played with and it's just a throw back to vintage with better articulation. Nothing adult worthy about it. It's painfully dumbed down.
    4. This line was put out because Mattel feels they should be doing something with the license. Doing something or throwing manure at the wall to see what sticks isn't the best way to go about launching a new action figure line.
    5. This line clearly should intend to appeal to children, (which I think is great) but that isn't specifically who they are marketing it to. They are definitely pushing the collectors market. As I had said in a previous thread, it's just not hitting my nostalgia button... for that I would have preferred just straight up re-releases of all the 83-86 figures.
    6. Finally, at first i raised my eyebrow to see why this line was greenlit and any chance at more club filmation or more classics was cancelled.... and then I finally saw at last years sdcc... and that was the biggest let down 'toy wise" i've had in a big long while... saw the proportions, the sculpts, the paint apps, the blandness of it... and it was a very much what the **** moment for me.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    (biggest sigh I can make) If you really want to know how I can make this opinion, I will take the bait.

!. My biggest gripe. (and you said yourself) the figures are not aesthetically pleasing, he-man looks like he's taking a dump, evil-lyn has got RBF, skeletor looks silly rather than scary (even if most of you think its the best representation of the alcala head) it's not!. And teela isn't pretty. They can actually make these look a bit better but they chose not to.
    2. The knees on the girls... well the kness on all of them aren't the best... that flap is unforgivable
    3. Battle cat has chicken drum stick legs... that i saw and played with and it's just a throw back to vintage with better articulation. Nothing adult worthy about it. It's painfully dumbed down.
    4. This line was put out because Mattel feels they should be doing something with the license. Doing something or throwing manure at the wall to see what sticks isn't the best way to go about launching a new action figure line.
    5. This line clearly should intend to appeal to children, (which I think is great) but that isn't specifically who they are marketing it to. They are definitely pushing the collectors market. As I had said in a previous thread, it's just not hitting my nostalgia button... for that I would have preferred just straight up re-releases of all the 83-86 figures.
    6. Finally, at first i raised my eyebrow to see why this line was greenlit and any chance at more club filmation or more classics was cancelled.... and then I finally saw at last years sdcc... and that was the biggest let down 'toy wise" i've had in a big long while... saw the proportions, the sculpts, the paint apps, the blandness of it... and it was a very much what the **** moment for me.
    To each his own. I've collected every single MOTU line ever made. Vintage, NA, commemorative, 200X, Classics, ReAction, Mondo...and Origins is hands down my favorite. They look great on the shelf. The bright colors pop, and they capture the FUN and excitement of MOTU for me just like the original line did back in '82 when I was ten. I love them, and can't wait for more.
    SKELETORTILLA...It's taco night at Snake Mountain!

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    To each his own. I've collected every single MOTU line ever made. Vintage, NA, commemorative, 200X, Classics, ReAction, Mondo...and Origins is hands down my favorite. They look great on the shelf. The bright colors pop, and they capture the FUN and excitement of MOTU for me just like the original line did back in '82 when I was ten. I love them, and can't wait for more.

Then the only thing I can say to that is, I'm glad that they make you happy and you enjoy them. The subtext of my original post wasn't to specifically yuck anyone's yum, but it was mostly because some forum members worry about being flamed for expressing a negative or critical opinion. The poster I replied to said, "please don't come after me for this but" (paraphrasing)

I think its just as relevant and healthy to express a negative opinion as it is to express a positive one.
    And also my (biggest sigh) comment wasn't being condescending it was said because these debates go on and on and on... like i'm understanding it's futile to have disagreements on-line for something as silly as toys to something more meaty like politics... no ones mind is gonna change, so what is the point? And honestly I really don't want to change anyone's mind because it would be a boring world if we all thought the same. You can then ask, "why bother expressing your opinion publicly then"? Good point. Because I need Mattel to see (and I know they pop in here under alias's ) that not everyone will just happily accept anything they decide to put a Masters of the Universe logo on... You collect it all! Great! That's awesome for the brand. I personally don't because I don't only collect MOTU Or POP so I feel like rather than spending money on the big figs Mattel did or Loyal Subjects or the Funko pops, it is better to spend my money on other things I'm passionate about when I have a robust full line. Especially one that I think represents the characters best, and for the bright colors and cartoony look (which i love) I have a semi complete Filmation line sans Leech, Ram-man, Catra, and Moss man.

At any rate enjoy the origins line I hope you get everything you want out of it, I'm even curious to see if the vehicles coming out are compatible with classics. Time will tell.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

If the castle cost 90 euro, i buy 2 one moc and one loose

Why did Mattel not show off the Origins Castle Grayskull at Power-Con? I mean, this is a big deal! If it is truly coming out in two months, they definitely had it finished in time for the Power-Con, so why not debut it there?

I wonder they are waiting for another form to announce it? NYCC maybe?

Strange
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

80% trash?!...
    Is this because some of the sculpts of those heads aren't vintage accurate or is it because the paint apps are minimal, or is it because of the flappy knees or the big cats are missing articulations on the front paws, or is it because of Rueben's taste and lazy decisions?
    I mean, you mock someone for thinking it's 80% trash and then immediately list many of the reasons that it's not so great? I think that speaks for itself.

I really wish the Four Horsemen were being included in the designing of this line. You can tell that their influence is not very present in Origins. If it was, I am certain things would look much better, and I'd have a much higher opinion of this line. If I am wrong and they are helping to design this line, then their decisions are either being ignored or altered, or this is really poor output from them.

I like the bright colors. I actually like the knee articulation on the male figures. But there hasn't been one Origins head that I've said "wow, that is such an improvement on the vintage!", which should at least be the case. Ram Man and the Land Shark look like they will be better than vintage, but I've not seen much else in this line where I could say there.

I want to like this line, but it isn't making it easy for me to do so. I still find the fun in it, but I really don't get how collectors are fawning over this line saying it's better than Classics and/or Vintage. And I get that this line is supposed to be aimed at kids, but that doesn't mean they should just produce sub par output. They could and should be doing so much better. That doesn't mean that it has to be Classics level of quality and detail; however, on that note, it doesn't cost any more to tool a piece of plastic that is more detailed vs simpler other than the amount of time it takes the designer to create it.

Some of the upcoming figures do look better than this first batch, at least from what we've seen, like Roboto, Stratos, Mer-Man, and Ram Man. If I start to be won over by the line, I won't have a problem admitting that, but right now, most things that get revealed are an instant let down to me. If others are happy with it, I'm glad that they are, but I'm not there yet.
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post

No bait or mockery, it was a genuine question to be honest.
    While I understand your concerns as I'm aware some of the Origins' weak points, I think saying it's 80% trash is an exaggeration IMHO considering what the line basically offers; especially what's in the coming second wave! Just let me address your points real quick:
    1) If you don't like the current He-Man's or Skeletor's head, it was revealed that we're getting second heads that are closer to the vintage look. Teela is actually prettier than its vintage counterpart (subjective), and Evil-Lyn has an updated look which isn't Classics, but I think it's still cooler than the vintage one!
    2) I agree, and I think Mattel should improve on that part.
    3) I also agree on the drumstick paws, but the rest is good enough. Also recreating a sculptured look with an articulated form isn't that easily attained when you have a small budget to deal with.
    4) I don't know how Mattel conduct their business, but from someone who's aware of another toy company's practice from the inside, I can assure you it's a very common trend depending what's targeted age group.
    5) If this line isn't for you and it's not satisfying you, do you think it's fair to judge it the way you do?!
    6) Probably putting the Classics on hold has angered a lot of the niche collectors like us, but I don't think Origins was meant to completely replace it because it's hitting other targets in mind, and sometimes we have to deal with how companies conduct their own business whether we agree with them or not, and meanwhile look for something else.
    IMHO this eccentric self centered mentality is somehow toxic and sometimes it's dangerous, just look at the world around you and see how it's shaping up!

Again, this is just a little debate between fans who love this property, no ill will or anything like that. I work with professionals who are also fans of certain products/properties, and we always debate among each other to better understand the nature of our environment and how to improve on it if possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    I mean, you mock someone for thinking it's 80% trash and then immediately list many of the reasons that it's not so great? I think that speaks for itself.
    Mockery!? No, I was just trying to understand why it's 80% trash!...I listed the concerns, but in my book those concerns don't meet that type of judgment fairly!

It's about what I expected, although I'm not digging the color of the door or choice of green. That said, this line is my daughter's MOTU, so I left the decision up to her. I showed her the picture the other night, and while she thought the Sorceress is cool, she said, "Well, they'll make her in the orange and blue I'm sure. I like our Classics castle better."

We'll see if she changes her mind when we get more images, but for me, that's enough. We love the line, but I'm okay skipping this if she'd prefer to use our MOTUC set with her figures.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Mockery!? No, I was just trying to understand why it's 80% trash!...I listed the concerns, but in my book those concerns don't meet that type of judgment fairly!
    I forgot to mention in my above post that I don't agree that this line is 80% trash. But I do think it is not living up to its potential.

I'm a huge MOTU fan and try to get everything related to it, including this Origins line. I can see the "fun" appeal to it, but it definitely baffles me how enthusiastic the community has been overall with Origins after coming of what I consider to be the far superior Classics line. Maybe it's the price point (though personally I'd rather pay more for better stuff), maybe it's the retail availability (though personally I prefer the preorder/subscription model that guarantees I can get stuff at MSRP vs *hoping* I can find it at a retail location), or maybe it's just a really big segment of the community that somehow wasn't aware that Classics was happening (which really boggles my mind - if you are a "HUGE" MOTU fan, how did you NOT know about Classics???) and think that this is the first MOTU stuff to come out in 15 years. It's great that there is a renewed excitement with the brand, I just wish I could feel as excited as others.
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

I forgot to mention in my above post that I don't agree that this line is 80% trash. But I do think it is not living up to its potential.

I'm a huge MOTU fan and try to get everything related to it, including this Origins line. I can see the "fun" appeal to it, but it definitely baffles me how enthusiastic the community has been overall with Origins after coming of what I consider to be the far superior Classics line. Maybe it's the price point (though personally I'd rather pay more for better stuff), maybe it's the retail availability (though personally I prefer the preorder/subscription model that guarantees I can get stuff at MSRP vs *hoping* I can find it at a retail location), or maybe it's just a really big segment of the community that somehow wasn't aware that Classics was happening (which really boggles my mind - if you are a "HUGE" MOTU fan, how did you NOT know about Classics???) and think that this is the first MOTU stuff to come out in 15 years. It's great that there is a renewed excitement with the brand, I just wish I could feel as excited as others.
    Thanks for your debate.

The bold part of your reply is probably also your hidden answer of your concern!

Why you guys keep comparing Origins with Classics?! Different lines target different audiences, and people should prepare for different expectations!

I have the Classics, half of the 200X, but I've lost my moderate collection of the vintage line when I was a kid, but never lost my passion for MOTU. Origins brings back the old nostalgia of the vintage toys, just affordable toys that look like toys to have fun with. I have the Classics and the Sideshow/Neca/Tweeterhead Statues to appreciate their details and what not.

Classics was for the hard niche collectors, where Origins is for everyone who wants to dig into the MOTU action figure line. It's not that complicated.

If you can afford a Ferrari and appreciate it's value and performance, I don't expect from you to get the same expectations if I give you a reliable Toyota!

Heroic Warrior

The problem with Classics is that if you didn't get into it right out the gate or close to it, you'd have to pay an arm and a leg.

Also, I personally really like the vintage aesthetic and I'm a customizer, so easy parts swapping is a dream come true here.

ok, it is what it is IF confirmed, vintage style made for kids but with good quality, they would prob go nuts for these!
    what matter the most ETERNIA playset is now closer than ever to return after 30+ years on the market!! and with that SNAKE MOUNTAIN and FRIGHT ZONE too? Dreamin' as a real possibility!

so yeah hopefully at next a Masterverse CG will be announced in a few years
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

No bait or mockery, it was a genuine question to be honest.

5) If this line isn't for you and it's not satisfying you, do you think it's fair to judge it the way you do?!
    6) Probably putting the Classics on hold has angered a lot of the niche collectors like us, but I don't think Origins was meant to completely replace it because it's hitting other targets in mind, and sometimes we have to deal with how companies conduct their own business whether we agree with them or not, and meanwhile look for something else.
    IMHO this eccentric self centered mentality is somehow toxic and sometimes it's dangerous, just look at the world around you and see how it's shaping up!

Again, this is just a little debate between fans who love this property, no ill will or anything like that. I work with professionals who are also fans of certain products/properties, and we always debate among each other to better understand the nature of our environment and how to improve on it if possible.

- - - Updated - - -

I only quoted the last two because one is a question;

Yes I absolutely feel if these are products put out to the public, and last time I checked I am part of the public, I feel like I can drag this line as soft or as hard as I please, Mattel needs to realize not everyone will throw money at them regardless of what they put out with a Masters of the Universe logo.

And also admit it. You have seen many "positive" posters say, I don't care what it is, as long as it's Masters of the Universe I'm buying it!!! How is that not in of itself also toxic. It basically hands Mattel a blank check and tells them, "Hey if you want to make Masters of the Universe Toilet buddies" Like Mekaneck tp holder, or a Snout Spout bidet", we will buy it and pay any price for it! Nope sorry not me. Put out QUALITY well made product and I will see. Don't put out a line it looks like was thrown together, and designed aesthetically very poorly.

And in response to you last comment about "self centered toxic mentality" and comparing to what I assume is our civil unrest and political climate... I don't think that poo poo-ing a sub par action figure line that has way toooo many cheerleaders at the moment, is comparable to the issues we are facing at the grander scale. It irks me when I see people flaming others negative or critical opinions because "the internet positivity police" and "the participation award crowd" decide its better to be positive and say praise and give only thumbs ups or its best not to say anything at all. I also was responding to a previous poster who made it sound like he was apprehensive about giving a negative opinion. No one should feel that way... ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Faker78 View Post
    If the castle cost 90 euro, i buy 2 one moc and one loose
    That would be awesome if it came on a giant standard blister card

Quote Originally Posted by Triklops 1 View Post
    ok, it is what it is IF confirmed, vintage style made for kids but with good quality, they would prob go nuts for these!
    what matter the most ETERNIA playset is now closer than ever to return after 30+ years on the market!! and with that SNAKE MOUNTAIN and FRIGHT ZONE too? Dreamin' as a real possibility!

so yeah hopefully at next a Masterverse CG will be announced in a few years
    I think big vehicles and playsets are out of the question currently for the Masterverse line. It‘s a pure collector‘s figures line. Maybe when it‘s established like Marvel Legends, Mattel can something do like HasLab and crowdfund something.
    News editor on PlanetEternia.de, the No. 1 German Masters of the Universe website
    Part of "Das HE-MANische Quartett", the No. 1 German Masters of the Universe podcast

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Why did Mattel not show off the Origins Castle Grayskull at Power-Con? I mean, this is a big deal! If it is truly coming out in two months, they definitely had it finished in time for the Power-Con, so why not debut it there?

I wonder they are waiting for another form to announce it? NYCC maybe?

Strange
    I don't know anything about anything, but my guess is that while Power-Con is great, since it is a dedicated MOTU event, everyone there is already knows about and is exited about the origins line. They are probably waiting for a bigger and more diverse event like NYCC to unveil their their big wow-inducing items. At something like NYCC they can get toys in front of the eyes and wallets of people who played with He-Man as a kid, but aren't into the line now.

Court Magician
    The castle looks smaller than the vintage one, and built with a thinner plastic. Looks great though - I appreciate that the computer console is plastic instead of an insert. Though the Sorceress may be a pack-in, I'm looking for that robot sentry that is not present. Perhaps they'll actually make an articulated version of him this time around? Could be a cool way to honor the original. I hope it's at a cheaper price point, somewhere around $60-$70 would be fair I think. Luckily, since it's at Wal-Mart we can be sure to see a clearance.

And for the record, I totally dig Origins way more than Classics. Classics were absurdly priced and ill-distributed by the end. The fact that you had to join some fan club even to obtain them for normal pricing was ludicrous. This is how most toy lines should be - available at RETAIL - for everyone to enjoy. Seems like some Classics collectors are a little elitist about Origins, which is unfortunate. I really dislike the He-Man head sculpt and I'm not a fan of the Four Horseman like some are - the 200X line was ugly as hell to me. I feel that Classics bridged those more towards the vintage of course, which was appreciated, but if you can't make a He-Man head correctly, you've kind of a lost me at the gate. I ended up getting Thunder Punch He-Man because it was my first action figure as a kid. I also got the New Adventures Skeletor because he was had cheaply and I liked his update - definitely favored the Classics style. But $15 figures that are articulated and feature the OG cards and artwork is just too much of a good combination to pass up. I hope they continue their success. I'm not in love with the new Origins He-Man sculpt, but I do appreciate they were going for the comics look. Also really cool of them to include the original He-Man head with the Battle Armor coming up - it seems they are making very good choices all around for this line. I just hope the Power Swords are done better on the next figures so they fit in the hands easily and are whole instead of halves (which I get for the first He-Man and Skelly). I'd love to see some role play toys too for kids like a big Power Sword that glows, or even 2 halves set like the old days. Glow in the Dark yellow for He-Man and Purple for Skeletor. Definitely some great potential!
    Last edited by PowerSword83; September 18, 2020 at 11:34am.

Heroic Warrior
    why so many expecting something better for this version of CG is beyond me.LOL.

Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by poderuniverso View Post
    why so many expecting something better for this version of CG is beyond me.LOL.
    They made new tooling for this so they could have done anything. I would have preferred it to look closer to the original concept or Alcala. It could be the same size, same color, same plastic, same accessories, etc. Better doesn’t necessarily mean the classics castle for this price.

That said I’m still buying it.

We are making a ton of determinations based on one little low res photo that doesn’t even show the outside, aren’t we.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    We are making a ton of determinations based on one little low res photo that doesn’t even show the outside, aren’t we.
    Well, it's the Org after all! People here just love to over speculate things around and make things a little more interesting!

Frustrated MOTU panel in the near future: Tada; here are some beautiful stencil-cardboard kits so you can make your own custom MOTU playsets!

I am excited to see more. I'm actually very glad to see something new. Like a reasonable person I reserve full judgement and consideration until I see more. So far so good, and/or interesting.

Widget
    The castle on the picture looks terrible.

If this castle is anything officially Mattel, its likely just a product placement temp holder. Looking at the quality of Battle Cat (sure, ankle articulation aside) - he's a solid, quality figure in hand, with top notch packaging. I have a BattleCat 200x,Classics and origins extra in box for display and the art/package presentation on this retail version, just really pops. Same with Sky Sled, design is toy centric but its a solid, quality looking product - looks great on the shelf as well, that box is HUGE, beautifully done. Also to note, the scale on both of these have been increased from their vintage counterpart, looking great with this scale of figure.

I have trust in Mattel attempting to provide a quality, mass market, budget friendly retail children's product, that Castle Grayskull origins will share the same treatment we have in hand, proof of good footing on quality, packaging and value with this line. If they settled on suddenly ultra cheap and low quality with Castle G, it would be a new direction for this line's vehicles and beasts. Land Shark will also be larger in scale with the original, a great step in a right direction.

This pic does not get me too hyped or disappointed yet - will wait for Mattel's official share before I cast a vote worth spending effort on.

Collection background - I currently have an extensive Classics collection (Castle G as well!), 200x (CG and Battle station) and my well worn childhood vintage sets/figures/vehicles (Eternia/CG/SnakeMountain/SlimePit,FrightZone is rough shape) and have luckily enjoyed the playability, the rough and play tough aesthetic of Origins (weapons and some design pulled right from Alcala, only thing I do not dig is Skeletor's new head) - the ability to mix and match them up is fun: