Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical: Super7 does G.I.Joe. What would you want to see?

Heroic Warrior

Hypothetical: Super7 does G.I.Joe. What would you want to see?

So I’ve been mulling this over. S7 seems to have good relations with Hasbro who seems to have no interest in doing more Joe — and to be fair, almost everything doable in the 25th/Retaliation style has been done.

My main 4 ideas:

Reaction Figures. Hrm. On the fence here but if they were super-Sunbow inspired maybe.

As Seen on TV retro 3 3/4” figures similar to MOTU’s. So a return to big heads, small shoulders, big hands, o-ring, but with cartoon styling. Could be fun.

7 inch “straight” figures based on the box art/comics. I’d love this but I also think Hasbro would do this themselves as an extension of Marvel Legends and Lightning Collection if anyone would.

7 inch toy inspired figures similar to TMNT. So unrealistic vintage toy proportions (big head, barrel chest, small shoulders, big hands, small feet) and deco style with more deco and sculpt detail, articulation, and higher def sculpts with ab crunch, bootcut, ankle rotation, and wrist swivel but self-consciously made to look like improved versions of upscaled 80s toys. I can absolutely see this. Maybe even flocked hair as a convention item that pays a nod to 12 inch Joes.

I would buy Duke and a few others in Reaction style. But I would be all in on a (slimmed down) MOTUC buck GI Joe line based on ARAH.

Heroic Warrior
    Ehhhhh... Maybe 3 3/4” metal rivet and o-ring style figures. If it could get me some characters like Honda Lou West, Pythona, or other 1-offs, sure. Maybe the Baroness in her original cartoon outfit. Maybe some comic characters like Dr. Venom and Dawn “Snake-Eyes” Moreno. Some of the more popular characters done a little closer to their cartoon appearances. It would really be nice to see a cartoon style Zap, Steeler, Breaker, Rock n Roll, Clutch, and Short-fuse since their original figures weren’t very distinct.
    Last edited by whakojacko; December 16, 2019 at 12:15am.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    So I’ve been mulling this over. S7 seems to have good relations with Hasbro who seems to have no interest in doing more Joe — and to be fair, almost everything doable in the 25th/Retaliation style has been done.

My main 4 ideas:

Reaction Figures. Hrm. On the fence here but if they were super-Sunbow inspired maybe.

As Seen on TV retro 3 3/4” figures similar to MOTU’s. So a return to big heads, small shoulders, big hands, o-ring, but with cartoon styling. Could be fun.

7 inch “straight” figures based on the box art/comics. I’d love this but I also think Hasbro would do this themselves as an extension of Marvel Legends and Lightning Collection if anyone would.

7 inch toy inspired figures similar to TMNT. So unrealistic vintage toy proportions (big head, barrel chest, small shoulders, big hands, small feet) and deco style with more deco and sculpt detail, articulation, and higher def sculpts with ab crunch, bootcut, ankle rotation, and wrist swivel but self-consciously made to look like improved versions of upscaled 80s toys. I can absolutely see this. Maybe even flocked hair as a convention item that pays a nod to 12 inch Joes.
    On another site dedicated to GI Joe fandom that I am on regularly, there is a thread only about a week old stating that Hasbro is working on an evergreen line of Joe toys. No further details sadly. There is also a Snake Eyes movie in production so the idea that HAsbro has no interest in doing figures to support the film is unlikely. That would rule out S7 unless S7 just focuses on their Kenner style vintage toys that would not compete for the same collector as most Joe collectors. The problem, Joe has had better than Kenner style articulation since the 60s. I'm not sure who'd buy those.

If 4H is on board then I'd be happy to see then tackle the cartoonish Sunbow versions of our favorite Joes. 7" is cool but 4" would invite vehicles.

If S7 does get the licence and Hasbro is not doing any Joe product then the smartest thing S7 could do is reproduce the ARAH line EXACTLY as it was from 1982-1993 in the same packages and adding some much wanted figures to that lot. Dr. venom, Vietnam era Stalker, SE and SS, (just like Hasbro did in the late 90s). Keep all O ring and don't skip any characters leaving holes. Offer the drivers/pilots/operators singly for those who do not want vehicles and offer vehicles with their drivers for the completest. Do what hasbro did last June with the vintage Star Wars line. Offer 6 figures per quarter and watch the money role in. I'd be happy to buy it all in triplicate. And if Snake Mountain sells well-then make remake a Flagg (and I'll buy 2). The 25th line reissued vintage vehicles for their modern figures but corrected some of the issues with the old vehicles, Rattler landing gear, fragility of the CLAW and FANG, etc. Keep up that motif of improving the old vehicles without changing them.

If vehicles are not in the plan for S7 then it might be fun to see the old o rings as 6 or 7"s.
    Last edited by MJOLNIR; December 16, 2019 at 12:16am.

If the price was decent, and the sculpts looked good, I would absolutely cherry pick some 6/7" JOEs.

If they were 35 bucks a piece, then I would have to settle for looking at pictures of them. I have no interest in ReAction figures....but that may change if they included knee and elbow articulation.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    Honestly I don't think I'd have any interest in Super7 set of Joes.

1) Joes were amazing because of their articulation. Dropping them down to 5 point reactions... I just wouldn't bother. I'd sooner track down the originals or the 25th anniversary sets.

2) Joes were amazing because of the vehicles and playsets. That would NEVER happen with 6", So once again... without a few motorcycles, tanks, jets.... I'd be out again.

If S7 could find some way to recreate the original figures/vehicles/playsets.... I'd probably jump on them from nostalgia...but I really do think that the 25th anniversary line was about as good as they could get. I love my 3.75" for crossover capability with my old batman and Robocop and whatever was even close... My modern 3.75" had some displays with Duke and Quick Kick on the Helicarrier with Iron Man and Nick Fury as they investigated the Doctor and his Tardis with Indiana Jones and Han Solo stepping out of it... That was a LOT of fun crossover potential when things are the same size.

but really, GI Joe and He-man or Thundercats?? That's not something I'm likely to actually want. Reaction has the best chance, but it would still be substandard to the actual toys that are 30 years old. If you can't make things at LEAST as good, and preferably better... than don't bother.

No. I do not want Super 7 making G.I. Joe products.

Hasbro are planing something new for G.I. Joe with the upcoming Snake Eyes movie and the rumour is 6" figures like their Star Wars Black Series etc.

Super 7 are a terrible company and the MOTUC buck is awful and nowhere near as good as Hasbro's superior Marvel Legends and Star Wars Black series figures.

Well, I would rather Hasbro do a Black Series type of GI Joe line than Super 7 do them.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Well, I would rather Hasbro do a Black Series type of GI Joe line than Super 7 do them.
    I concur with this.

Widget
    Black series style Joes!! I really hope that happens!

Best case scenario.
    Odd Man Out

yo joe!

heck yeah! the 25th line was just amazing and perfect update to the 80s toys, well actually I'b thrilled to collect M.A.S.K. vehicles if they will ever get to a sort of "anniversary line" plus the drivers with the same buck from the joes, I can't believe they are moving forward with relaunching Micronauts or Dungeons & Dragons brands instead.
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triklops 1 View Post
    yo joe!

heck yeah! the 25th line was just amazing and perfect update to the 80s toys, well actually I'b thrilled to collect M.A.S.K. vehicles if they will ever get to a sort of "anniversary line" plus the drivers with the same buck from the joes, I can't believe they are moving forward with relaunching Micronauts or Dungeons & Dragons brands instead.
    Hasbro are bringing G.I. Joe back. The Snake Eyes movie and according to rumours they will have new products on show at Toy Fair.

I only had a few Joes in the old days ... and while I love 6 inch scale, I think any new Joes should stick to the original 3.75 inch scale - it'd allow them to use the original vehicles and playsets which would be neat.

And Hasbro should re-do M.A.S.K. in the same scale while they are at it. It's just wrong to leave a property like M.A.S.K. with no modern toys for so many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvart View Post
    I only had a few Joes in the old days ... and while I love 6 inch scale, I think any new Joes should stick to the original 3.75 inch scale - it'd allow them to use the original vehicles and playsets which would be neat.

And Hasbro should re-do M.A.S.K. in the same scale while they are at it. It's just wrong to leave a property like M.A.S.K. with no modern toys for so many years.
    New M.A.S.K. toys in 3.75" scale would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Hasbro are bringing G.I. Joe back. The Snake Eyes movie and according to rumours they will have new products on show at Toy Fair.
    Wow I hope so. I want a 6" Black Series type Snake Eyes figure! I'd also like Shipwreck, Storm Shadow, and Duke. And Destro, Cobra Commander, and Baroness! I could go on and on. All I know is I'd go broke if Hasbro did a Black Series line for GI Joe.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Wow I hope so. I want a 6" Black Series type Snake Eyes figure! I'd also like Shipwreck, Storm Shadow, and Duke. And Destro, Cobra Commander, and Baroness! I could go on and on. All I know is I'd go broke if Hasbro did a Black Series line for GI Joe.
    Same. I am actually more of a G.I. Joe fan than MOTU.
    I would want and buy all those characters and more like Spirit, Beachhead, Wet-suit etc.

super 7 is good for Retro stuff.. be cool to see maybe some new characters in the O-ring style..

but overall its time for a 6 inch series w LOTS of accessories and outfit options ...id prefer closer to Marvel legends rater than Starwar

I miss buying joes.. ..
    Check out by trade thread...looking to sell off parts

I'd be down for some MOTUC styled Joes like Scarlet, Duke, Snake Eyes, and the main gang. That said, I'd be more likely to buy tehm if Hasbro actually cranked out some similar in execution to their SWB6" series.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    The big rumour going around is that they have people working on evergreen lines at different levels much like they have for Transformers that would hit along side the Snake Eyes stuff but be seperate from it and would keep Joe on shelves.

Heroic Warrior
    All I really want is a snake eyes I can stand with my thundercats and playmates classics turtles. I know I know, I'm the only one that likes em. But I like em. hopefully they pull closer to marvel legends than the black series. Those figures overall are just kinda puny in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeofEternia View Post
    The big rumour going around is that they have people working on evergreen lines at different levels....
    Any idea what scale or scales?
    Odd Man Out

A SW Black Series G.I. Joe line would be pretty awesome. I have seen a few custom MOTUC G.I. Joe characters that look decent.

Heroic Warrior
    Not related to Super7 but Gentle Giant was trying to dabble into the ARAH 12 inch figures. Though they only got to about 3(Snake Eyes, Stalker, and RockN Roll). I wished they got to the other 13 figures and did Cobra Commander and the 2 different Cobra troops.