Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: A 2nd, new Animated MOTU series is coming to Netflix

Here's hoping.
    I'm also hopeful that Clamp Champ will be featured as an A-List character in this series (especially since he's come out so early in Origins as a Deluxe Figure). It would be a nice change of pace after Filmation and MYP if they branched out a bit beyond Adam, Man-At-Arms, Teela and Orko being heavily featured in every single episode. We need to mix up the roster and characters' roles a little bit this time out.
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

I'm too lazy to watch the video, can someone give the cliff notes?

We know that it has been changed to "We have the power!" as oppose to I. So I think the good guys will be like a superhero team. Of course, this isn't a million miles away from what they did in the 200x toon. Dare I say it, but I'm actually looking more forward to this than Revelation, even though I'm insanely excited for that.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    I'm too lazy to watch the video, can someone give the cliff notes?
    The same thing you hear with every reboot (good or bad): respect the past while modernizing some for today's audience. I hope they stay away from romantic relationships as the original and MYP series didn't have much of it. I would like it to be a true kids show and not something more for teens and people in their 20s. The "we have the power" thing sounds odd. It would be cool if Clamp Champ had a decent sized role.

Heroic Warrior
    “We have the Power” fees like the He-Force concept from the last issue of the Multiverse comic, where one dimension’s He-Man had his version of the Shazam/Marvel family.

I hope this show won't be another one for teens and young disguised "for children".
    MOTU needs a show geared for children, naive and not complex

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    I hope this show won't be another one for teens and young disguised "for children".
    MOTU needs a show geared for children, naive and not complex
    I think having stuff like having ongoing story arcs and character development, necessarily means something isn't geared towards children.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    I think having stuff like having ongoing story arcs and character development, necessarily means something isn't geared towards children.
    Of course it doesn't mean but at the end of the day that kind of show gets more interest on the teens/young audience ,like She-Ra ,that a children audience .
    I'd like to see a show more looklike Trollhunters than DW She-Ra, I think that's the way to get most interest in children audience for the brand
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; March 29, 2021 at 01:14pm.

Everyone involved (including Mattel and, actually, Kevin Smith) have said repeatedly this series will be for kids. I think the fact that its the same animation studio as Trollhunters strengthens this assumption. Even the promotional still that was released screams kid's show to me, rather than something for older children or teenagers.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Everyone involved (including Mattel and, actually, Kevin Smith) have said repeatedly this series will be for kids. I think the fact that its the same animation studio as Trollhunters strengthens this assumption. Even the promotional still that was released screams kid's show to me, rather than something for older children or teenagers.
    I think that this is why I'm so excited for this version of MOTU.

Trollhunters is just a plain, fun and well-paced show that is highly enjoyable for kids and adults.

It won't require 30+ years of pent-up nostalgia to enjoy and, in fact, can be its own thing.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Looking forward to the Netflix Era<<

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Dare I say it, but I'm actually looking more forward to this than Revelation, even though I'm insanely excited for that.
    You're not alone. Nothing I've heard about Revelation has sparked any real interest in me. At best, its more of the same, at worst, it's more of the same but trying to be "mature".
    The CGI show, though, is something new, an "unknown" as it were. And the unknown always holds interest for me. I'm interested just because I don't know what to expect. It might come out and I'll hate it, but until it does, it's going to have me hyped.
    With Revelations, we basically already know what to expect.
    Let's see a Deluxe Dylamug in MOTU Origins!

Quote Originally Posted by Dylamug View Post
    You're not alone. Nothing I've heard about Revelation has sparked any real interest in me. At best, its more of the same, at worst, it's more of the same but trying to be "mature".
    The CGI show, though, is something new, an "unknown" as it were. And the unknown always holds interest for me. I'm interested just because I don't know what to expect. It might come out and I'll hate it, but until it does, it's going to have me hyped.
    With Revelations, we basically already know what to expect.
    I can agree there. I think a modernisation of MoTU should still have a sense of fun to it. And I don't mean be all wacky haha comedy. I think it should still have it's more dramatic aspects and probably be able to go a bit darker an more serous then say the Filmation show would go. But it should strike a balance between that and the more lighthearted fun elements.

And I think this show will be more likely to go for that (especially since that kind of balance is what a lot of modern kids shows go for), than Revelations will. Revelations seems like it's going to take itself too seriously and maybe even end up in full edge lord territory.

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    I would love a tone similar to Batman: The Animated Series (the best Batman to date). Or (although I know it wasn't popular), a modernization similar to Transformers Prime. I don't mean computer animated but robots similar in design and tone to their original G1 counterparts with obvious updates and annoyingly goofy kids ala Orko.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

First plot details courtesy of a new paperback that's up for pre-order via amazon.com and hoo-boy... I'm open to it, but I can see it being pretty divisive amongst some of the more curmudgeonly members of the fan-base.

Fresh off of gaining their newfound Powers of Grayskull, and fighting off a whole host of villains, our heroes -- Adam, Teela, Krass, Duncan, and Cringer -- face their most daunting challenge yet: spending their first night in their new home, Castle Grayskull! The teens do their best to settle in, but it's not so easy. The castle is definitely not what it seems: A labyrinth. A spooky puzzle-box of magic and mystery. Even its rooms have rooms! Follow along in this original graphic novel as our heroes battle monsters, flesh-eating snacks, and their own memories. The graphic novel will feature exclusive lore straight from the creators of the Netflix animated series, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. Get ready for an action-packed adventure!

https://www.amazon.com/He-Man-Master...s=books&sr=1-1
    Last edited by zodak74; April 17, 2021 at 12:37pm.
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

I'm not surprised, though. Its what I thought with the whole "We have the power" thing. It seems as though they are now a sort of superhero team. Its not a million miles away from what they did with the Masters in the 200x reboot, IMO. The teenager thing doesn't bother me, because Adam and Teela were always young, although their true ages always seemed to be elusive. I always assumed they were no younger than 16, but no older than 21.

I would imagine a lot of the old-time fans, ones who have been there since the early 80s, might be resistant.

Hmm... I'm going to give it a shot. And this coming from a guy who has no use for NA He-Man. ( no offense to any fans )

If I don't like it, so what? I'm not the target audience anyway. Plus, we're still in the middle of a pandemic. Gotta watch somethin'.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; April 17, 2021 at 01:46pm.
    Odd Man Out

Can't wait to learn more about this series!

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I think that this is why I'm so excited for this version of MOTU.

Trollhunters is just a plain, fun and well-paced show that is highly enjoyable for kids and adults.

It won't require 30+ years of pent-up nostalgia to enjoy and, in fact, can be its own thing.
    I get what you're saying.

There's a reason that I occasionaly read stuff like Looney Tunes, Spongebob Comics, and Scooby Doo. There's just something fun about light hearted, brightly colored, simplistic adventures. Not everything has to be dark, edgy content with loads of collateral damage, and the complete humiliation and deconstruction of the hero.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; April 17, 2021 at 02:48pm.
    Odd Man Out

At the same time not everything has to be goofy. Why change things that has worked?

How far do you think Thundercats ho set back the franchise?

And if this is as stupid as it sounds, and ugly design. And no one watches, the only conclusion the people in charge is that people don't like motu. It takes years ( or never)for them to come out and say, last time we tried it was an awful attempt.

Toy companies and tv/movie companies will always put the blame on the customer for not spending money on half ass ideas.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    First plot details courtesy of a new paperback that's up for pre-order via amazon.com and hoo-boy... I'm open to it, but I can see it being pretty divisive amongst some of the more curmudgeonly members of the fan-base.
    [SPOILERI don't know how open-minded I am about this. If they're 15 and Teela is Teela-Na the Sorceress of Grayskull (or Teela the Caucasian goddess, per "The Tale of Teela") it should work. No Sorceress living there and the Teela we're used to being the same age as Duncan would be too much. Ram Man being in his teens makes me expect a high school linebacker personality.[/SPOILER]

Quote Originally Posted by banthafett View Post
    At the same time not everything has to be goofy. Why change things that has worked?

How far do you think Thundercats ho set back the franchise?

And if this is as stupid as it sounds, and ugly design. And no one watches, the only conclusion the people in charge is that people don't like motu. It takes years ( or never)for them to come out and say, last time we tried it was an awful attempt.

Toy companies and tv/movie companies will always put the blame on the customer for not spending money on half ass ideas.
    I think it's a big leap to assume the show will be nonstop comedy antics.

Most likely scenario is that it will have a lot of humour but still have it's fair share of more serous and dramatic moments.

THundercats Roar is a pretty poor comparison.
    Last edited by A Dalek; April 17, 2021 at 03:51pm.

I don't understand the point of deviating from the source material this much. I hope this doesn't end up like the Netflix She-Ra being a completely different entity with a MoTU coat of paint thrown over it.

Making Duncan a teenager is a weird move too. He's supposed to be Teela's father, just make a new character at that point instead of aging him down to be something he's never been.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos88 View Post
    I don't understand the point of deviating from the source material this much. I hope this doesn't end up like the Netflix She-Ra being a completely different entity with a MoTU coat of paint thrown over it.

Making Duncan a teenager is a weird move too. He's supposed to be Teela's father, just make a new character at that point instead of aging him down to be something he's never been.
    i bet they are going to make Duncan Teela's brother or maybe the teens mentioned are Adam, Teela and Krass.

Court Magician
    And teenage Cringer! Surely the wording indicates at least 4 out of 5 are teens.

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Sounds like Scooby Doo
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.