Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: A 2nd, new Animated MOTU series is coming to Netflix

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayal92 View Post
    Supposedly the voice actress posted the photo on Instagram and then deleted it. She is supposed to be Teela.
    who is the actress?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynaman View Post
    The only way this really works is if she's a composite character with the Sorceress rather than the two being separate people. Because the design doesn't feel like Teela. Even New Adventures gave her a sword.
    She is. The teen heroes are going to take over Castle Grayskull, which will be dangerous like a D&D dungeon, not a safe clubhouse for good people because it has a mature Sorceress controlling it.
    That graphic novel synopsis makes it sound like they're using the Don Glut mini-comics as a springboard and changing things that needed to be changed to appeal to boys 5-11, like putting pants and a sleeveless shirt on He-Man (Teela/Sorceress doesn't have to be changed from redhead to black to appeal to today's kids, but that's a Hollywood mandate).

Heroic Warrior
    Design still sucks, but I kind of get the idea of creating the heroes as an RPG party (He-Man being one of the settings where such an analogy makes sense). He-Man is the Hero/Barbarian, Man-At-Arms presumably the distance fighter/archer of the group, Teela is now the mage, and Ram-Man is the Berserker. So a nice, balanced four that compliment each other...mostly.

Except Ork-O is still a thing here (Techno mage) so whatever. I guess you have him be the offensive magician and Teela the defensive (black mage and white mage, especially since Orko does look like he influenced the Final Fantasy Black Mages and Vivi).
    Last edited by Dynaman; July 13, 2021 at 05:12pm.

Just bought my digital copy of SFX Magazine from Amazon. Rob David talks a bit about this series in the article.

I am thinking that this show could go the Jumanji route...

Meaning that He-Man, Ram Man, Teela and Duncan are the Eternian avatars for four real-world children who "discovered the power."

When they enter the world of Eternia, they are transformed, e.g., Adam Johnson (New kid in school) is turned into He-Man: Powerful Protector!, Duncan McNeil (football jock) is transformed into the Man-At-Arms: Eternian Weapons Master! Etc, etc...

Together, We Have the Power!!

...Very Diablo-meets-Jumanjiesque.

I don't know how I'd handle it, but it seems like a route that they could go.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Just bought my digital copy of SFX Magazine from Amazon. Rob David talks a bit about this series in the article.
    Think you could post some quotes when it comes out?
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post

Meaning that He-Man, Ram Man, Teela and Duncan are the Eternian avatars for four real-world children who "discovered the power."

When they enter the world of Eternia, they are transformed, e.g., Adam Johnson (New kid in school) is turned into He-Man: Powerful Protector!, Duncan McNeil (football jock) is transformed into the Man-At-Arms: Eternian Weapons Master! Etc, etc...

That would have been a MOTU movie had it hit in 2003.

Meaning ....

And I for one could totally get behind a show like that if it progressed nicely.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MCX-Eternia View Post
    She is. The teen heroes are going to take over Castle Grayskull, which will be dangerous like a D&D dungeon, not a safe clubhouse for good people because it has a mature Sorceress controlling it.
    That graphic novel synopsis makes it sound like they're using the Don Glut mini-comics as a springboard and changing things that needed to be changed to appeal to boys 5-11, like putting pants and a sleeveless shirt on He-Man (Teela/Sorceress doesn't have to be changed from redhead to black to appeal to today's kids, but that's a Hollywood mandate).
    I kinda like the fact that this seems to be early minicomic inspired. Taking another look at the Teela pic, I think she's supposed to be blonde (I initially thought it was white hair, but I'm not so sure now), so that might be another early minicomic throwback. I really hope that we see some minicomic characters (Lodar especially, although I imagine a mostly naked S&M guy might not go over too well with parents).

As a father and uncle to a pair of young MOTU fans who have largely survived on older generationsí iterations, Iím excited for this show. If it indeed involves Trollhunters, thatís good news for me. I donít need each new version to be a carbon copy of others; I like the idea of fresh new takes on the property. Iím not going to get into the tired debate that always veers toward Tar Swamp talk, of course, but this could be fun.
    MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube (GIVEAWAY in Progress!): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

Heroic Warrior

i doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviews2D View Post
    Think you could post some quotes when it comes out?
    It was a short Q&A. Most of the information in the answers wasn't new.

• Rob David said to be on the lookout for Easter Eggs in the shows and some of the tie-ins when asked about crossing over with Revelation and other MOTU projects. The shows nod to each other in subtle ways.

• There's an all-new Prince Adam from day one.

• Coming-of-age team story. Characters unlock all kinds of new powers and earn their titles as Masters.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm interested in the references angle, I suspect that will have something to do with how they're doing a multiverse now.

Also, I wonder what all-new Prince Adam means.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    It's an Adam that doesn't have to hold too many secrets back from those he cares about, meaning he can be a bit more laid back perhaps...and possibly too laid back, if Teela knows who he is here, and is possibly the Sorceress, she will have to mentor/train him so he can grow more into the He-Man we're used to seeing, only he now benefits from her guidance right from the start and she gets to appreciate him more for who he is and what he can be all the more, whilst still having plenty to critique him on.

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post

He'll be black.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    He'll be black.
    It would be real awkward when he turns into He-man
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

From what I'm seeing and hearing from these two shows.

Is that secrets are bad, and everyone should know your business. And if you keep secrets. You get the angry Teela . And it's wrong to keep things to yourself. Sounds about right in this world today.

Some of y'all are going to be the grumpiest old men on this planet ever
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Some of y'all are going to be the grumpiest old men on this planet ever
    Ageism now. Splendid.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    Ageism now. Splendid.
    Fits right in with the racism and misogyny, so you can probably deal with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MCX-Eternia View Post
    [SPOILERI don't know how open-minded I am about this. If they're 15 and Teela is Teela-Na the Sorceress of Grayskull (or Teela the Caucasian goddess, per "The Tale of Teela") it should work. No Sorceress living there and the Teela we're used to being the same age as Duncan would be too much. Ram Man being in his teens makes me expect a high school linebacker personality. >
    It's a reboot.

If you are expecting the same stuff, you're going to be disappointed.

There's no reason in a reboot the sorceress is a ~Caucasian goddess~ (gross, by the way) and there's no reason she's Teela's mother.

There's also no reason why Duncan is Teela's adopted dad.

Some of you really do need to go watch the old show and get over the fact that time has passed you by.

If they want to change it as drastically as they say they are I can already tell some of the old fans here are going to lose their minds. I for one am looking forward to a new telling of the tale. That being said I really hope they don't dumb it down to the point where it's unwatchable to someone like me. I hated filmation for doing that it had its moments but for the most part I just tuned every tuned in every week to see the new characters pop up. Best case scenario they produce a show that ends up being called Masters of the universe in 10 years by its fans not the he-man show by everybody else around the world.

Heroic Warrior
    They can make a series set in high school.

Eternia High
    You'll have the classic school cliques run by icon characters.

He-Man is your classic jock.
    Adam the smart bookish nerd.
    Same person: think Space Ace's Dexter

Skeletor/Evil-Lyn members of some goth punk band.
    So edgy and 90's

Orko can be a foreign exchange student, like Perfect Strangers' Balki.
    The hilarity ensues.

They'll deal with real life issues like...
    First loves, pimples, run ins with the police....

Good Times...
    Last edited by tnktrk; July 25, 2021 at 11:29pm.

Quote Originally Posted by tnktrk View Post
    They can make a series set in high school.

Eternia High
    You'll have the classic school cliques run by icon characters.

He-Man is your classic jock.
    Adam the smart bookish nerd.
    Same person: think Space Ace's Dexter

Skeletor/Evil-Lyn members of some goth punk band.
    So edgy and 90's

Orko can be a foreign exchange student, like Perfect Strangers' Balki.
    The hilarity ensues.

They'll deal with real life issues like...
    First loves, pimples, run ins with the police....

Good Times...
    Would watch.

The description for the series has been updated on the Netflix page.

It used to be:

"Eternia's Prince Adam discovers the power of Grayskull and transforms into He-Man, Master of the Universe. A reimagining of the classic animated series."

Now it says:

"Mighty teen Adam and his heroic squad of misfits discover the legendary power of Grayskull -- and their destiny to defend Eternia from sinister Skeletor."

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah, its what I thought. The whole "We have the Power!" thing implies that the Masters are going to be portrayed as more of a superhero team, with He-Man obviously being the head. TBH, its not a million miles away from what the 200x series did. They were all referred to Masters throughout, and it was always more of an ensemble piece than the original Filmation series, with each member getting their own episode or two.

But all in all, just like with She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, it seems that this is a full-on unapologetic reboot of the property. I'm one of those silly fans who actually welcomes new takes, so I'm actually more intrigued by this than I was for Revelation. And the fact that its got the same animation house as Trollhunters, 3Below and Wizards just makes me more excited for it. Looking forward to it.

Now it says:

"Mighty teen Adam and his heroic squad of misfits discover the legendary power of Grayskull -- and their destiny to defend Eternia from sinister Skeletor."
    And didn't the original blurb when the series was first announced describe Adam as being a "lost" prince? Or am I misremembering? But yes, a proper re-imagining. Bring it.
    Last edited by Krueger; August 1, 2021 at 12:39pm.