Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: A 2nd, new Animated MOTU series is coming to Netflix

Quote Originally Posted by Deltavax View Post
    I can't remember the actor who voiced He-Man in New Adventures, but I know he played Man-At-Arms in the 2002 version, n.
    Gary Chalk. Aka the voice of Optimus Primal

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    Gary Chalk. Aka the voice of Optimus Primal
    I just saw Garry Chalk in a new Hallmark Christmas movie, he plays the friendly neighbour of a woman who comes home to her mother's home town to sell the place but decides she wants to stay.

He also played the grouchy vice-principal in one of the Scooby Doo movies with Robbie Amell, Kate Melton, Nick Palatas and Hayley Kiyoko.

I can't remember the actor who voiced He-Man in New Adventures, but I know he played Man-At-Arms in the 2002 version, but personally, I thought his "I Have the Power" line was a little over the top but that's just me.
    Though my first introduction to the "I have the power" cry was with Cam Clarke in the MYP series, I have yet to hear anyone top John Erwin in the Filmation show. Not because he sounds so powerful, but because he sounds like he's singing more than he's shouting. Ever notice that? When he goes "I -- HAVE THE -- POWEERRR!" I almost get rock ballad vibes. All the other He-Men just shout about their power as loudly and bombastically as possible, but Filmation He-Man has music in his soul. ^_^

Seriously though, I think I agree with a lot of people here that I'm kind of looking forward to this more than Revelation. My main concern is that Revelation is going to try too hard to be "adult" and "serious" and "look how very epic we are" and forget to be FUN. And I don't think MOTU works if it isn't FUN. It's fine to have a more serious ongoing plot and greater consequences, but I also want a Skeletor who cracks one-liners and hams it up like a good Disney villain, not a boring, generic "Evil Overlord." The fact that this new show is for kids is encouraging to me... in a modern kids' show you can still have a lot of depth and development, but you need to balance it out with lighthearted moments and snappy dialogue or the kids are going to lose interest.

I still kinda want to know why they chose to make Skeletor green though... I keep wanting to call him "Skelegreen."
    Don't think, that'll only confuse you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dina M View Post
    Though my first introduction to the "I have the power" cry was with Cam Clarke in the MYP series, I have yet to hear anyone top John Erwin in the Filmation show. Not because he sounds so powerful, but because he sounds like he's singing more than he's shouting. Ever notice that? When he goes "I -- HAVE THE -- POWEERRR!" I almost get rock ballad vibes. All the other He-Men just shout about their power as loudly and bombastically as possible, but Filmation He-Man has music in his soul. ^_^

Seriously though, I think I agree with a lot of people here that I'm kind of looking forward to this more than Revelation. My main concern is that Revelation is going to try too hard to be "adult" and "serious" and "look how very epic we are" and forget to be FUN. And I don't think MOTU works if it isn't FUN. It's fine to have a more serious ongoing plot and greater consequences, but I also want a Skeletor who cracks one-liners and hams it up like a good Disney villain, not a boring, generic "Evil Overlord." The fact that this new show is for kids is encouraging to me... in a modern kids' show you can still have a lot of depth and development, but you need to balance it out with lighthearted moments and snappy dialogue or the kids are going to lose interest.

I still kinda want to know why they chose to make Skeletor green though... I keep wanting to call him "Skelegreen."
    I like how you express your point. Nice read. And very much agree with "it should be fun because MOTU is fun" point and the Filmation version of "I have the power".

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dina M View Post

Netflix is rating Revelation at PG for now, so it probably won't get as dark, serious, or gory as something like Castlevania or Blood of Zeus where He-Man, Skeletor, and the other heroes and villains are cutting each other to pieces or whatever. Also since it might be PG they probably won't be completely in your face with the serious adult topics. And judging from the trailer, the first episode will at least look like Classic MOTU with awesome action, and it looked fun. The 2012 DC Masters of the Universe was probably the darkest incarnation of the franchise. I mean come on Adora was like the boogeyman of the Horde. She killed nearly every Ethieran she could on the planet, and they kind of show that. Not to mention at the beginning of DC 2012 run, Skeletor basically had the Sorceress at his mercy. I won't go into details because it gets a little too dark, but he eventually just kills her out of boredom and frustration. But I do agree with the fact that this new version of He-Man might be a good intro for kids today. Still not sure who else is going to have the Power besides Adam and possibly Adora (Don't know if she's going to be in it), but I am interested in learning more about on what they're going to do with this version.

We can but hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I just saw Garry Chalk in a new Hallmark Christmas movie, he plays the friendly neighbour of a woman who comes home to her mother's home town to sell the place but decides she wants to stay.

He also played the grouchy vice-principal in one of the Scooby Doo movies with Robbie Amell, Kate Melton, Nick Palatas and Hayley Kiyoko.
    He was also Silver, in that Dreadful Turtles The Next Mutation show.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    He was also Silver, in that Dreadful Turtles The Next Mutation show.
    I actually liked TMNT Next Mutation.

I tried watching it, couldn't get into it. I get the turtles other than perhaps their original comics counterparts have been pretty goofy and silly, but I can only handle so much. It just wasn't for me, but I'm glad you got some enjoyment from it, Mikey.

I'd say the real problem was less the silliness and more how obnoxious it's implementation of the silliness was. I mean characters couldn't so much as walk across a room without a bunch of cartoon sound effects going off.

Heroic Warrior
    Even Haim Saban, during the Toys That Made Us episode admitted that one was a miss. So fair play to the guy.

Heroic Warrior
    It's worth it for the Power Rangers crossover

It's worth it for this one single line of dialogue:

"Wait a minute. You're asking a TURTLE, who lives in a SEWER, to explain a COSMIC EVENT?"

As I posted in another thread, I am a confessed fan of The Next Mutation... the wacky mashup of Henson's Turtles and Super Sentai kept me coming back to it.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    I LOVED the TMNT/Power Rangers crossover! I also loved Venus.

If I had Elon Musk money, I'd take everyone involved in the concept and execution of "The Next Mutation", load them into a rocket and fire it straight into the heart of the sun.

...Is the absolute kindest way I can express my feelings on THAT particular endeavor. Although it's no longer the worst thing with the TMNT sticker on it, which is incredibly depressing. And the stuff that's worse is SO bad that TNM almost gets a pass, now.

It's like the old Jim Cornette saying: "I used to think you were a dumb****, but then I met so many other dumb****s since then that you managed to work your way up the ladder without even doing anything."
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I LOVED the TMNT/Power Rangers crossover! I also loved Venus.
    The MCU ain't got nuthin' on this epic crossover!

Seriously, it's like playing with two different lines of action figures out in the back yard... so much awesomeness!
    Last edited by Ornclown; June 17, 2021 at 01:08am.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    The MCU ain't got nuthin' on this epic crossover!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2fAbAyGdUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6bWH5f8Qcg

Seriously, it's like playing with two different lines of action figures out in the back yard... so much awesomeness!
    Wasn't that meant to be like the worst episode of In Space?

Besides no crossover can ever match Super Robot Wars.

Heroic Warrior
    Back on topic, is anyone worried that the proximity of the two productions will cause one to look a bit less…refined? A lot of money and advertising is going into Revelation and it’s possible the reboot could get lost in the crowd.

I shouldn't think so. I think we're seeing more about Revelation because that's closer to airing. I think the new show will start getting more advertising and hype in a couple of months. Probably it'll have a much longer run than Revelation too... this feels more like a standard show and not a ten-ep miniseries.

I think it's amazing that they're doing two shows, one for the new generation of kids and one for the manchil-um, the older generation.

Well, Revelation was always meant to be a mini-series, whereas this reboot was intended to be a full-fledged series. Why Netflix decided to split Revelation up into two parts is beyond me. They've released mini-series in full before, I don't see how this would be any different, but that's beside the point. I agree on the fact that the only reason why we're getting more info on Revelation is that it's getting ready to come out because even last year, they didn't us a whole lot that we didn't already know. I do believe last year though, they came out with the full cast but I could be mistaken. I'm still wondering who the cast will be for this show. Does anyone know?

Heroic Warrior
    Well, Revelation was always meant to be a mini-series, whereas this reboot was intended to be a full-fledged series. Why Netflix decided to split Revelation up into two parts is beyond me. They've released mini-series in full before, I don't see how this would be any different, but that's beside the point. I agree on the fact that the only reason why we're getting more info on Revelation is that it's getting ready to come out because even last year, they didn't us a whole lot that we didn't already know. I do believe last year though, they came out with the full cast but I could be mistaken. I'm still wondering who the cast will be for this show. Does anyone know?
    I too would really like to know the cast for this. There are some names I'd be very excited to see on this, especially since I'm more familiar with voice actors than live-action.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverToad View Post
    I too would really like to know the cast for this. There are some names I'd be very excited to see on this, especially since I'm more familiar with voice actors than live-action.
    I mean, yeah I'm excited about Mark Hamill's performance in Revelation as Skeletor. I think his laugh is a little too Joker-Esque though. Normally or at least he used to be able to do laughs that were kind of like Joker but they were still whatever character he was playing, for example, Hobgoblin from the 90s Spider-Man series. When he did the laughs for Hobgoblin, at first they sounded like they were the beginning of a Joker laugh but then he switched to where it was more Hobgoblin-ish. Like for example when Hobgoblin was revealed to be Felica Hardy's fiance Jason Philips, he made those really creepy giggles that sounded like more of a creepy, demented lunatic than his iconic Joker laughs. Anyway, even despite the fact he still sounds too much like Joker, I think Mr. Hamill will deliver an excellent performance as Old Bone Head. Though I wonder with the next guy if he'll do his own spin on Skeletor's voice, or if he'll follow more of Allen Oppenheimer's (Forgive me if I spelled his last name wrong.) voice, or perhaps Brian Dobson's. Just something I'm curious about.

Are we assuming that the IMDB page for this show is wrong at this point? That would make sense as to why it shows 10 episodes and 6 of the same cast members