Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: A 2nd, new Animated MOTU series is coming to Netflix

Quote Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post

I really hope it doesn't. There should be only one He-Man, not generations of people becoming He-Man like they did with She-Ra.
    I just really enjoyed that as a kid...especially having Hordak and Skeletor interact. And I think it would pull in fans of the new She-Ra, younger people who have no connection to original MOTU.

I had someone really excited by my Skeletor t-shirt who was half my age and it was only because of the Netflix She-Ra.

Quote Originally Posted by ersatz.kate View Post
    I just really enjoyed that as a kid...especially having Hordak and Skeletor interact.
    Oh, me too, don't get me wrong. I mean if they don't change the plot much, Netflix's She-Ra isn't THAT She-Ra, she's a completely different person with no connection to the OG He-Man, so it wouldn't make sense.

Heroic Warrior
    Well, I'm hyped for both of these new shows, even though I'm suspecting one will be better than the other. Also I'm glad they're continuing the trend of releasing a new all out reboot every 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
    Oh, me too, don't get me wrong. I mean if they don't change the plot much, Netflix's She-Ra isn't THAT She-Ra, she's a completely different person with no connection to the OG He-Man, so it wouldn't make sense.
    Fair enough! I just really like the new She-Ra, as different as it is...I think it's well done and would love to have a shared universe with all the MOTU characters.

But of course we don't know what they're planning with this second series and it might not fit or make sense.

Anyways. More MOTU...more toys and stuff! I'm in regardless.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm really happy about a fresh take on the brand (and also that it co-exists with MOTU Revelations)

I really wonder if Mattel plans to produce toys for this new cartoon... i think so

If it is a success they should do it!

I can't imagine that they produce "new vintage Toys for adults" and spend money for a kids show whitout toys...

What do you guys think?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    If they give it a cell shaded look, I would kind of hope it has the same kind of shading that later seasons of RWBY have.

https://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/...ce-600x200.png
    To make it clear I'm talking about the Colour shading, not neciserily the aesthetic in general.
    No to cel shading.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Hmm, so we have a clearer picture now of Mattel's long-term gameplan when it comes to MOTU. One animated series aimed at the old-time fans, and one aimed at a new generation. And again, Netflix. I bet Sony and Netflix do team up for the MOTU movie (if they haven't already). There's clearly a lot of MOTU fanboys and fangirls at Netflix.

Right, in terms of the teaser images themselves. I'll be honest; I'm not a fan of the stylised look. I think this style lends itself more to 2D animation than 3D. It kind of reminds me somewhat of something Genndy Tartakovsky would come up with if he handled MOTU. Still, I'll reserve full judgment until we see more.
    Gennedy doing He-Man would be something you know.

Yet Kevin Smith is also working on Howard The Duck the series for Marvel/Hulu
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by Xena-She-Ra View Post
    Is that why She-Ra it's not in the Multiverse comic?
    I didn't realise there are still legal dramas.
    Its weird coz She-Ra was in Eternity War so why can't there be more She-Ra in comics and in TV series or a movie?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Curious also on the why's of things She-Ra not in Multiverse comic.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    Curious also on the why's of things She-Ra not in Multiverse comic.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    Dreamworks won't allow it I suppose?

construction toy boffin Old Bolty-Neck's Avatar
    The news of two "MOTU" TV series on Netflix is definitely surprising, and the reason there would need to be two of them is something I got to thinking about.

On these message boards and on Roast Gooble, the idea has been floated that one of the two series is aimed at younger audiences, while the other is aimed at the older generation. Possibly so, but here's another thought.

Kevin Smith's "Revelation" is being touted as a show that is a direct sequel of the 1980s cartoon, picking up where that one left off. For those of us who remember Filmation's show and have even re-watched it in recent years, we'll have no trouble following the "Revelation" series, recognizing references and story threads.

But not everyone will get those references or know the original show in detail. Kids definitely, but also a good chunk of the older demo.

So I'm thinking that, possibly, the "He-Man & the MOTU" series is going to be there to assist in that regard. That is, before Netflix drops Season One of "Revelation," they want this other show to familiarize viewers with the players and the world. I imagine "Revelation" is going to be filled with twists and turns and upsets of the status quo, but none of those will really mean much to viewers unacquainted with the status quo of He-Man's world in the first place.

We've seen indications that "Revelation" will have a 26-episode Season One. How many episodes will "He-Man & the MOTU" have? That hasn't been revealed yet -- there's a possibility that this is only going to be a limited mini-series, just long enough to do its job of putting the pieces on the board explicitly for "Revelation" to start playing with those pieces.

If the above is right, then it's not so much that the two MOTU shows are aimed at different age groups, but rather that both shows are for all ages, and one just happens to serve in a supporting role as prologue to the other one, and as a refresher-course for audiences of the MOTU basics.

One might ask, why the different animation styles? Not difficult to imagine Netflix simply wanting the two shows to visually be set apart from each other. Even in a single story like a movie, there is precedent for a "flashback" scene to be given a look and feel that is distinct, such as in stop-motion animation in an otherwise live-action story (for instance, 2015's "Krampus"). It's still the same continuous story and still aimed at the same audience.

Has anything like the above occurred to anyone else?
    My Mega Construx gallery <-- wanna see He-Man things made out of bricks? I got 'em here!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bolty-Neck View Post
    If the above is right, then it's not so much that the two MOTU shows are aimed at different age groups, but rather that both shows are for all ages, and one just happens to serve in a supporting role as prologue to the other one, and as a refresher-course for audiences of the MOTU basics.
    The recently announced series is definitely being aimed at a younger audience.

We've seen indications that "Revelation" will have a 26-episode Season One.
    There's no way they will produce so many episodes just for 1 season. It looks like an entire series episode order, for now at least.

IMO, its very simple what's going in. This new show has been labelled as a "reboot". So there you have it. It will clearly be aimed at a new generation of potential fans. Whereas Revelation is a sort of loose sequel to the Filmation series aimed at a more adult audience (although I wouldn't expect loads of blood and guts and curse words). The official MOTU Twitter account has confirmed that neither series has anything to do with the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    The official MOTU Twitter account has confirmed that neither series has anything to do with the other one.
    OK, good to know. I stay off Twitter and so never got to see that confirmation. Thanks!

@Chris85, here is my source for saying that there are indications that Revelation has 26 episodes ordered for Season One.
    My Mega Construx gallery <-- wanna see He-Man things made out of bricks? I got 'em here!

He-Man historian
    @Chris85, here is my source for saying that there are indications that Revelation has 26 episodes ordered for Season One.
    Though that article also says "3D".

Which is why I was thinking maybe they meant this new show...

Though where was it said that "Revelation" (not RevelationS) is a limited series?

I mainly remember Kevin Smith on podcasts telling that they only had one season order, and
    that's why he couldn't comment about second season. And he hoped to first get this one done...
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Though where was it said that "Revelation" (not RevelationS) is a limited series?
    It was not said anywhere so far as I know. The other day I postulated that one of the two shows could be meant by the network to be a limited series that set up the other show. Now I've been informed that's not the case.

I was speaking to someone who helped work on the project and they were telling me it should have a similar tone to the tmnt series by nick which as a turtles fan is the best version right mix of action and humor and the ability to appeal to children and adults. But I also heard the series is a year or two away from being on the streaming service.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Coma21 View Post
    I was speaking to someone who helped work on the project and they were telling me it should have a similar tone to the tmnt series by nick which as a turtles fan is the best version right mix of action and humor and the ability to appeal to children and adults. But I also heard the series is a year or two away from being on the streaming service.
    Do you mean the 2012 CGI series? That would be good news! I really liked that series!

1 or 2 years away? Maybee! But if Mattel says „Stay tuned“ and shows a picture of Skeletor and (part) of He-man...!? I hope we will see it sooner

Yeah I meant that exact TMNT series! It’s such a great balance of humor and action. The Dream Beaver episode is so good Robert Englund and Bill Moseley both do cameos and they make a Texas chainsaw massacre 3 reference in the general store scene. Stuff for kids and adults.

I agree it seemed like that was a long time to wait especially with them posting ads.

Yes, I'm aware of this article. My point is Netflix is not releasing so many episodes per season. We'll be super lucky if they release 13 episodes. I can see them releasing less.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Though that article also says "3D".

Which is why I was thinking maybe they meant this new show...

I mainly remember Kevin Smith on podcasts telling that they only had one season order, and
    that's why he couldn't comment about second season. And he hoped to first get this one done...
    From August 18: Kevin Smith Announces New ‘Masters of the Universe’ Netflix Limited Series

I believe it is supposed to be six episodes or fewer.

It would make more sense that the kids show got the 26 episode order given the animation studio when working with DreamWorks regularly put out 26 to 52 episodes per show whereas the animation company for Revelation put out short episode seasons for Castlevania with long breaks and contract renewals.

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    It would make more sense that the kids show got the 26 episode order given the animation studio when working with DreamWorks regularly put out 26 to 52 episodes per show whereas the animation company for Revelation put out short episode seasons for Castlevania with long breaks and contract renewals.
    Voltron, 3Below, and Dragon Prince have/had short 7-9 episode seasons with breaks and were/are geared toward kids. They're all fantastic too and I prefer any of them over Castlevania or the new She-Ra.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Gennedy doing He-Man would be something you know.
    Genndy Tartakovsky and MOTU would be a match made in heaven.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by baileyrecords View Post
    Voltron, 3Below, and Dragon Prince have/had short 7-9 episode seasons with breaks and were/are geared toward kids. They're all fantastic too and I prefer any of them over Castlevania or the new She-Ra.
    Voltron had a 78 episode order right off the bat. 3Below had a 26 episode order (Trollhunters 52, not sure on Wizards, so one could argue even more if we include all Tales of Arcadia). My point was episode orders. What they split out and call "seasons" is arbitrary.