Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: A 2nd, new Animated MOTU series is coming to Netflix

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootRULES View Post
    i bet they are going to make Duncan Teela's brother or maybe the teens mentioned are Adam, Teela and Krass.
    My guess it's that latter that is the case. If the rest are getting aged down, then Duncan's "team dad" role, kind of becomes more important than ever.

If the show is going to have a core cast like this I wonder which characters are getting race swapped? No way in hell a show in 2021 is going to come out with four white characters, so we're in for some changes there. You guys think it'll be Teela and The Sorceress, Duncan or Ram Man?

This sounds fun!!

I am happy that this will be a deviation from the mould, yet continue to keep much of the lore in place.

Maybe Dekker will take on the Man-At-Arms/mentor role? This would allow for an established Black character to have a more prominent role...

This could really go in several directions, but I'm getting more of a Voltron: The Legendary Defender / Dragon Prince / Dungeons & Dragons vibe, over a Scooby-Doo one.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Looking forward to the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos88 View Post
    You guys think it'll be Teela and The Sorceress, Duncan or Ram Man?
    All of them. A whole cornucopia of ******

Well, this is definitely going to be different from what we've seen in the past. She-Ra was different too and ended up being an excellent story, just not the one long time fans expected. Hopefully this can be too. If it's different and goes more in the Rise of the TMNT direction, then it's certainly not going to be for me. Wait and see.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

I was kind of hoping Clamp Champ would finally get a big role. I hope Duncan is not a teenager. I'm not sure why reboots are so against creating new characters with new names. I'll keep an open mind and hope for the best, but I am guessing Revelation will be more my cup of tea.

If the show is going to have a core cast like this I wonder which characters are getting race swapped? No way in hell a show in 2021 is going to come out with four white characters, so we're in for some changes there. You guys think it'll be Teela and The Sorceress, Duncan or Ram Man?

Well, the Hollywood blackwashing trend seems to be focused on making the most intelligent character black. Impulsive, petty, or violent characters are white. So, if Duncan is going to be the "older, wiser big brother" trope, he's probably going to be black and/or gay.

Racism in mass media is pretty easy to decode once you know what to look for. Remember, these aren't really writers, so they don't have the talent to disguise their tokenistic tendencies.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    I don’t know why they don’t just give like Clamp Champ or Melaktha more prominent roles instead of changing established characters. I don’t like changing 40 year old characters just for the sake of it.

Or create new ones like they did with Dekker. He was pretty cool from his very first appearance.

Either way, this write up seems like it may be for a younger crowd than even Trollhunters. Hopefully, it doesn’t go toward Thundercats Roar territory, where is was disrespectful to the overall brand.
    Last edited by Grayskull Guardsman; April 17, 2021 at 08:07pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull Guardsman View Post
    Hopefully, it doesn’t go toward Thundercats Roar territory, where is was disrespectful to the overall brand.
    I don't think that should be a concern, as, even though that leaked promo image wasn't to everyone's taste, it wasn't designed to be a complete parody of MOTU, whilst Thundercats Roar clearly was, even though no one will admit it.
    Last edited by Krueger; April 17, 2021 at 08:14pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by banthafett View Post
    At the same time not everything has to be goofy. Why change things that has worked?

How far do you think Thundercats ho set back the franchise?

And if this is as stupid as it sounds, and ugly design. And no one watches, the only conclusion the people in charge is that people don't like motu. It takes years ( or never)for them to come out and say, last time we tried it was an awful attempt.

Toy companies and tv/movie companies will always put the blame on the customer for not spending money on half ass ideas.
    Roar got canceled and four months later Warner proudly announced the guy who made them a ton of cash by having lizard fight munky was making a proper Thundercats movie. Roar was a speed bump AT BEST.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull Guardsman View Post
    I don’t know why they don’t just give like Clamp Champ or Melaktha more prominent roles instead of changing established characters. I don’t like changing 40 year old characters just for the sake of it.
    Yeah, I don't understand it either. Instead of letting a character like Clamp Champ or Zodak feature prominently they'll no doubt take this route. It's really frustrating, especially when you aren't "allowed" to speak against it or you are labelled racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I don't think that should be a concern, as, even though that leaked promo image wasn't to everyone's taste, it wasn't designed to be a complete parody of MOTU, whilst Thundercats Roar clearly was, even though no one will admit it.
    I agree. I don't think this show will be offensive to the fans in the same way Roar was. I can handle a different iteration of a brand as long as it honors what came before, but things like Netflix She-Ra and Thundercats Roar are examples of reboots I can't stand.

No one has anyone reason to compare this to Thundercats Roar. This is a new take on MOTU, a reboot, whereas TR was a clear parody of Thundercats.

My opinion on Reboots is that while they should take the base elements of the original, they should ultimately still be different enough to have their own identity.

I also think whatever one thinks of the quality of Netflix She-Ra, putting it in the same boat as Thundercats Roar is kind of ridiculous, they aren't even remotely the same.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    I also think whatever one thinks of the quality of Netflix She-Ra, putting it in the same boat as Thundercats Roar is kind of ridiculous, they aren't even remotely the same.
    I was not addressing the quality of either show, just that they failed to honor their respective properties in my opinion. Clearly She-Ra is a better show than Roar quality wise, I don't think anyone could seriously argue that.

I was not addressing the quality of either show, just that they failed to honor their respective properties in my opinion. Clearly She-Ra is a better show than Roar quality wise, I don't think anyone could seriously argue that.
    My main point is that Netlfix She-Ra and Thundercats Raoar are two very different things one is a comedy/parody, while the other is not and to that end you can't really put them in the same boat.

Because they are two fundamentally different things.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    My main point is that Netlfix She-Ra and Thundercats Raoar are two very different things one is a comedy/parody, while the other is not and to that end you can't really put them in the same boat.

Because they are two fundamentally different things.
    They are both reboots of properties that I believe failed to honor the original, so I can and did place them in the same boat. You are free to disagree, but going back and forth on this is just derailing the thread.

Court Magician
    I am once again very concerned over Orko's conspicuous absence from any info we have on the cgi show.

Like I know it seems like a very miniscule thing to worry about but he's my favourite and I just wanted him to be written well, man. What if he's just not in the show at all??? What am I supposed to do then????

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Yeah, I don't understand it either. Instead of letting a character like Clamp Champ or Zodak feature prominently they'll no doubt take this route. It's really frustrating, especially when you aren't "allowed" to speak against it or you are labelled racist.
    It is ironic that in your argument in favor of featuring black characters instead of racebending white ones that you reference Zodak, considering that "purists" had the same "concerns" about him being racebent in 200X.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    Well, the Hollywood blackwashing trend seems to be focused on making the most intelligent character black. Impulsive, petty, or violent characters are white. So, if Duncan is going to be the "older, wiser big brother" trope, he's probably going to be black and/or gay.

Racism in mass media is pretty easy to decode once you know what to look for. Remember, these aren't really writers, so they don't have the talent to disguise their tokenistic tendencies.
    We need more inclusivity, equality and diversity. Racism, misogyny and homophobia are hateful and wrong.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverToad View Post
    I am once again very concerned over Orko's conspicuous absence from any info we have on the cgi show.

Like I know it seems like a very miniscule thing to worry about but he's my favourite and I just wanted him to be written well, man. What if he's just not in the show at all??? What am I supposed to do then????
    At this point, I wouldn't be too concerned... this new MOTU sounds like the perfect home for a character like Orko.

Who knows... he may even play a pivotal role in this series.

We still have precious little information.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Looking forward to the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    It is ironic that in your argument in favor of featuring black characters instead of racebending white ones that you reference Zodak, considering that "purists" had the same "concerns" about him being racebent in 200X.
    Zodac and Zodak are two different characters. Zodac was never blackwashed.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

I wouldnt want a white Clamp Champ either.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverToad View Post

Keep in mind that this information is just for a tie-in book for the series. It'd be strange for the entirety of the show to take place within Grayskull, so I'm sure the show will have the cast visit the rest of Eternia.

I think most purists are capable of understanding Zodak is a different character even if you aren't. Zodac/Zodak is a perfect example of diversity done right. Instead of changing an established character they created a new one.

So if most the cast get transformations, does anyone else think Teela's will take some ques from the Goddess?

Hey guys, a few of these posts are getting political in nature. If you want to talk politics and how it relates to the new show, you can start a thread in the Tar Swamp forum where political discussions should take place. thanks.