Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Season 5 on May 15th

UK MOTU Comics Junkie Mosquitor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I am not wrong about anything. You just spouted off a bunch of personal opinions as fact. "Mara was written extermeley well" is an opinion. "She would have been a far more endearing lead character for the show than Adora" is an opinion. There is no other way to treat you parading your personal tastes as objective truths other than flippantly.
    "Actually Noelle Stevenson has revealed on Twitter that Castle Grayskull does not exist in the new She-Ra show's continuity. She has said outright that all Grayskull was in this series was a Rebel Squadron led by Mara. So Adora says "For the Honor of Grayskull" as a rallying cry to fight in Mara's name. There is no Castle Grayskull in this show's universe, and if there ever was an Eternia, it certainly doesn't exist any more."

"That logic does not flow within the new show's context. People seem to keep forgetting that it was stated outright in the first season that there were multiple She-Ras throughout the millennia - hundreds if not thousands of different She-Ras, all who wore the same attire. Mara was the last She-Ra before Adora, so Mara was not the 'original' She-Ra at all. She was taking on the standard appearance of She-Ra, which happened to be blonde - and I stand with Ethereal on this, to make Mara's She-Ra blonde when she was clearly not of Caucasian ethnicity was an insensitive move."

You call these opinions? The above two statements are facts, courtesy of documented sources.
    http://www.motuukcomics.co.uk

The Masters of the Universe/She-Ra UK Comics Fan Site!

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquitor View Post
    "Actually Noelle Stevenson has revealed on Twitter that Castle Grayskull does not exist in the new She-Ra show's continuity. She has said outright that all Grayskull was in this series was a Rebel Squadron led by Mara. So Adora says "For the Honor of Grayskull" as a rallying cry to fight in Mara's name. There is no Castle Grayskull in this show's universe, and if there ever was an Eternia, it certainly doesn't exist any more."

"That logic does not flow within the new show's context. People seem to keep forgetting that it was stated outright in the first season that there were multiple She-Ras throughout the millennia - hundreds if not thousands of different She-Ras, all who wore the same attire. Mara was the last She-Ra before Adora, so Mara was not the 'original' She-Ra at all. She was taking on the standard appearance of She-Ra, which happened to be blonde - and I stand with Ethereal on this, to make Mara's She-Ra blonde when she was clearly not of Caucasian ethnicity was an insensitive move."

You call these opinions? The above two statements are facts, courtesy of documented sources.
    Eh I can think of a fair few dark characters with dark skin and blonde hair in fiction, I think people are just grasping a straws with the mighty whitey stuff, especially in a show that has an animesqe art style.

Trust me, its a scientifically proven fact that autistic people are better judges of this kind of thing.

I agree with Ethereal's point's. Having Mara be blonde as She-Ra was a mistake.

They way I resolve it in my head though is that it's Mara as her regular self, not as She-Ra the blonde puppet of the First Ones, who saves the day.

Her episode, 'Hero' is all about her turning her back on She-Ra and the Sword (which can be read very clearly as a tool of 'the oppressors'). Her identity as She-Ra feels very much like something that was sold to her.

Mara is the hero not She-Ra, I'd like to think if she'd broken the sword as Adora did and had the time to fully realise that she could be She-Ra without it her She-Ra form would be truer to who she is, Just as Adora's "final form" was.
    A fabulous new wardrobe was revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said...

I agree with Ethereal's point's. Having Mara be blonde as She-Ra was a mistake.
    Did you ever consider that the hair is growing longer and turning yellow is because that tanned brunette morphed into a super saiyan ? I see Energy and Power .
    Might i also point out that some Europeans do have that skin tone . Europeans are a very very diverse people in both colour and culture . Mara also has blue eyes ........ the horror .

If users cannot see past tribal issues well thats their problem not mine . Best of luck trying to sue Noelle and Co over that .

I too could cry about the unfairness of the blatant symbolism of the Invading force but thats not why I logged in here . I am here because i like She Ra . I like She Ra so much that i can ignore politics .
    You either like She Ra or not and if not ............. why are you here ?
    Last edited by Lokus; May 29, 2020 at 08:06am.

I mean the transformation and hairgrowth don't bother me. But when it's a person of colour transforming into a blonde-haired blue-eyed (am aware that Mara herself does have blue/grey eyes) Superhero does come with certain icky connotations. I'm not saying it was intentional or malicious but I do think it is something that is insensitive.

I love Mara, even love her She-Ra outfit, love her arc. She sacrificed her life and saved the universe.
    A fabulous new wardrobe was revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said...

There would be no story for Adora/SheRa if Mara / She Ra saved the universe . Mara,s 5 mins screen time was to remind audience that there were multiple She Ra,s in the past .

There were lots of insensitive things to minor characters , whats your point ? Why is Mara more important than Eskimo stereotyping of Frosta who is a core character with a 100 times more screen time than Mara ?

How upset would you be if Netossa was European in this translation ? That was done to Bow and Mermista . Will you protest that ?

This is the Story of SHE RA . Frosta , Bow , Mermista are the support cast . Mara,s part in this story is even less than that .

But when it's a person of colour transforming into a blonde-haired blue-eyed
    You are assuming that . People project themselves onto cartoon characters . I say she is brunette and you say she is a person of colour . Folk from India will say we are both wrong . All those anime heroes , well the Japanese will say they are Japanese .
    Last edited by Lokus; May 29, 2020 at 08:42am.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    There would be no story for Adora/SheRa if Mara / She Ra saved the universe . Mara,s 5 mins screen time was to remind audience that there were multiple She Ra,s in the past .

There were lots of insensitive things to minor characters , whats your point ? Why is Mara more important than Eskimo stereotyping of Frosta who is a core character with a 100 times more screen time than Mara ?

How upset would you be if Netossa was European in this translation ? That was done to Bow and Mermista . Will you protest that ?

This is the Story of SHE RA . Frosta , Bow , Mermista are the support cast . Mara,s part in this story is even less than that .

You are assuming that . People project themselves onto cartoon characters . I say she is brunette and you say she is a person of colour . Folk from India will say we are both wrong . All those anime heroes , well the Japanese will say they are Japanese .
    To be fair most anime heroes are meant to be Japanese, even if they don't look it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post

My point, calmly, is that the power balance between white people and black people in Western society matters because of our historical relationship. Turning a traditionally white character into a person of colour is not the same thing as making a black character into a white character.

In a show that prides itself on inclusivity and diversity having Mara becoming blonde as She-Ra is a subtle yet pervasive way of undermining women of colour by suggesting that they aren't enough in their natural state and have to conform to 'white standards' as has been done historically.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, just trying to clarify my opinion. That's all I have to say about that.

PS. Mara plays a significantly larger narrative role in the story than say, Frosta.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Moon View Post
    My point, calmly, is that the power balance between white people and black people in Western society matters because of our historical relationship. Turning a traditionally white character into a person of colour is not the same thing as making a black character into a white character.

In a show that prides itself on inclusivity and diversity having Mara becoming blonde as She-Ra is a subtle yet pervasive way of undermining women of colour by suggesting that they aren't enough in their natural state and have to conform to 'white standards' as has been done historically.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, just trying to clarify my opinion. That's all I have to say about that.

PS. Mara plays a significantly larger narrative role in the story than say, Frosta.
    To be fair there are black people who do have blue eyes and blonde hair, they aren't very common, but they exist.

EXCLUSIVE: She-Ra and the Princesses of Power Cast Featurette
    https://she-raandtheprincessesofpowe...MSE2glE9zDH61Y

- - - Updated - - -

--------------------

Warriors cover.

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Thanks for posting that.

Iím going to watch the series again. Itís not easy remembering the first seasons from years ago. Iím thinking a back to back watch will give me the cohesion I need. My son, who loved it at first, left in season 3 to return to the original She-ra and he-man. Of course he didnít like the 2000x show at all. I have a hard time without a he-man in this universe. She-ra was born from he-man. The show just does not seem like she-ra to me, but I will stand by my rule which is, try everything twice. Well, almost everything.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

HeMan had twice the amount of episodes and 2 other tv shows that never included She Ra . He does not need a token cameo . Does not matter if HeMan inspired She Ra or black star inspired HeMan , they can be separate .

There is good and bad elements introduced in the new Show . If I think long and hard enough I could point out bad stuff from the original too .

Dream works pop is worth watching despite the bad parts . It's not hard to cherry pick and tune out the questionable elements . I laugh at that badly done messaging .

I can argue that dark crystal series was just as progressive but so subtle and finely interlaced . I received all of dark crystals message without needing to tune out anything .

To use a metaphor dark crystal took me out on a date , wooed me and we had drinks and cuddles at her home . Dream Pop walked up to me , bashed me on the head with a club and dragged me into a cave . Both Crystal and Pop want the same thing from me . I Prefer Crystal,s method .

Again, my own opinion. It’s a cartoon. My childhood was he-man then she-ra. For me it’s hard to imagine one without the other. Just like waiting for she-ra in the 2000x show and in the 87 film. They felt incomplete without her. I also get the need/want for an independent she-ra void of he-man, I just don’t share that vision. And, yes. The dark crystal is truly one of a kind.
    Comedian on the matty forums.