Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 322

Thread: Season 5 on May 15th

  1. #76
    Heroic Warrior Chris85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    320
    Can someone explain if we're supposed to know what the threat to the ancient people was, what were they aiming their weapon at? I missed that and the details are vague in my memory.

  2. #77
    Heroic Warrior Cringer_luvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Knoxville TN
    Posts
    947
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
    Can someone explain if we're supposed to know what the threat to the ancient people was, what were they aiming their weapon at? I missed that and the details are vague in my memory.
    They only refer to the threat as the First ones enemies. Its in my opinion since they used Mara from the New Adventures of He-Man series that it was targeting the Mutants and all threats to Primus. Which with the way Light Hope was talking, would have been thousands of worlds. That is assuming Mara was from there, but she could have just been used as an Easter egg visual/name drop.
    Awesome new Fantasy RPG 5E/D&D magazine coming and you can pre-order at the link below!
    https://broadsword.samcart.com/refer...6eQLqoCrE2Uoap

    My feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=197226

  3. #78
    Dynasty Masters Universe DynastyMasters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale
    Posts
    456
    I can't wait for the 5-season DVD box set! Wil it happen? It has to!
    DYNASTY AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    http://www.dynastyandthemastersofthe...e.blogspot.com

  4. #79
    Heroic Warrior Chris85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer_luvr View Post
    They only refer to the threat as the First ones enemies. Its in my opinion since they used Mara from the New Adventures of He-Man series that it was targeting the Mutants and all threats to Primus. Which with the way Light Hope was talking, would have been thousands of worlds. That is assuming Mara was from there, but she could have just been used as an Easter egg visual/name drop.
    Thank you. I really hope it gets resolved.

  5. #80
    Heroic Warrior Cheshire Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    Nobody here is putting out any solid argument that it's good either, so there's no difference in either side of the discussion

    The D&D episode showed us that no matter what, they were just going to keep doing the exact same thing that they had been doing since the first episode and it will simply work out. Why? Because the writers say so, flat and lazy writing. Glimmer is doing the exact same thing as we heard about and saw her do in the first episode, all the way up to the last episode and that's not going to change in these next batch. Bow occasionally seems to have a character development, but it's only used as a plot device for the one scene, he's still the same idiot we got to see him as in his first scene "WHAT?!?". Adora, does same thing with Catra in every interaction, runs off after her, which usually leads to the others getting in trouble or seriously hurt. Shadow Weaver... well, she definitely doesn't have any development, the situation she's placed in may have changed, but that's not her changing. Catra is the same bully, user and opportunist from the first episode until this last. Swift Wind, he's just there for comic relief, unlike Kowl or Madam Razz, they do consistently help, this Swift Wind character does virtually nothing useful and could be written out altogether, better off just turning him into glue! Entrapta does have some development as a character, but the writers generally just return her to the one note and I don't expect to see anything change in the next batch of episodes. Hordak... a waste of space, who Catra defeats in the exact sameway, twice. Frosta, Nettossa, Castaspella, Spinnerella, Sea Hawk, Mermista and Perfuma can all be written out of the show very easily and it would make the show much better. Let me put it this way, there was more character development coming from Kyle, Lonny and Rohelio... or however you spell his name, than every single character in this entire show combined, and they are hardly in it. Any group of idiots could have produced this show, could drag a bunch of people off the street and do as good a job or better, it's no wonder they had to send in Chuck to bring some oder to Noelle's mess!

    So by your reasoning the Original show was also trash, because literally it's the same solution every episode with no character development? the Horde does a thing, Adora transforms into She-Ra, She-Ra solves the thing, the status quo is returned to normal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    You have either not watched the show, or did not pay attention, because nearly everything in this post is demonstrably false. Every character you cite as having no development has had season and multi-season arcs.
    Word.
    A fabulous new wardrobe was revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said...

  6. #81
    Heroic Warrior Zentron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,114
    Though as everyone keeps on pointing out, they are two different shows, with two different series directions, and whilst yes She-Ra in the original does defeat Hordak, she doesn't do it exactly the same way after making an incredibly big deal about how easily she can defeat him in a specific way not more than a couple episodes prior. This show doesn't make sense at a base level, every point is contradicted, either in the same episode or another, just more than 2 seconds of thinking about any part of this show can tell you how lame it is, but the echo chamber is clearly dampening people's ability to think longer than that, especially the writers, who have yet to craft a coherent plot or story, if they manage to pull it off in this next "season", I will perform a slow sarcastic clap for them, though for that, I shall have to wait and see when it's released on Netflix.... or at least until the file storage site I get the episodes from uploads them and I can watch them without contribiting to the shows rating algorithm.

    Let me ask a multiple choice question about the end of season 3 (aka the third part of season 1); whose fault is it that Queen Angella died/went missing?

    Adora
    Angella
    Bow
    Catra
    Entrapta
    Glimmer
    Hordak
    Scorpia
    Shadow Weaver

    Speaking of thinking about the show:
    Demand quality.

  7. #82
    Heroic Warrior Cheshire Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    Though as everyone keeps on pointing out, they are two different shows, with two different series directions, and whilst yes She-Ra in the original does defeat Hordak, she doesn't do it exactly the same way after making an incredibly big deal about how easily she can defeat him in a specific way not more than a couple episodes prior. This show doesn't make sense at a base level, every point is contradicted, either in the same episode or another, just more than 2 seconds of thinking about any part of this show can tell you how lame it is, but the echo chamber is clearly dampening people's ability to think longer than that, especially the writers, who have yet to craft a coherent plot or story, if they manage to pull it off in this next "season", I will perform a slow sarcastic clap for them, though for that, I shall have to wait and see when it's released on Netflix.... or at least until the file storage site I get the episodes from uploads them and I can watch them without contribiting to the shows rating algorithm.

    Let me ask a multiple choice question about the end of season 3 (aka the third part of season 1); whose fault is it that Queen Angella died/went missing?

    Adora
    Angella
    Bow
    Catra
    Entrapta
    Glimmer
    Hordak
    Scorpia
    Shadow Weaver

    Speaking of thinking about the show:
    https://youtu.be/Isu-d6YXeCw
    I'm finding you're becoming less coherent but I'll answer you.

    No one is at fault for Angella's choice - which is a reaction to a set of circumstances put in motion by Catra (Catra's motiovations and arc have been covered several times on these forums, and in the show quite clearly).

    Angella, who has been a distant queen, a queen whose choices caused her husband to die has been living with the guilt of staying behind the lines whilst others sacrifice themselves for her cause - this dynamic is expressed most often by Angella being over-protective of her daughter.

    Angella's arc resolves when she finds the strength to leave Micah behind (both Literally and figuratively) and sacrifice herself to save She-Ra, whom she knows is more valuable to Etheria than herself. She even explains her arc for the kids at home.

    Thus Angella goes from someone wracked with guilt for sacrificing loved ones in the war to a soldier on the front lines herself who finds her courage and makes the ultimate sacrifice of her OWN life. A self-confessed coward finds her courage - this is her arc.
    A fabulous new wardrobe was revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said...

  8. #83
    Ancient One zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    14,753
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    ...I shall have to wait and see when it's released on Netflix.... or at least until the file storage site I get the episodes from uploads them and I can watch them without contribiting to the shows rating algorithm.
    For someone who has claimed earlier to be studying for a degree in film, I find it surprising you resort to illegally downloading episodes of anything to watch (which shows such a lack of respect for the format in general, whether you like the material or not) and also this seems weird to be really going out of your way (bucking the system... yay you!) to make sure you don't "contribute to the show's rating algorithm" by giving it a second of your time.

  9. #84
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    784
    "the echo chamber is clearly dampening people's ability to think longer than that"

    For some one claims to not be insulting people for liking the show, you sure like insulting people for liking the show.

    And before you claim that insult is only aimed at the writing staff, you wouldn't have added "especially the writers". Since that statement clearly implies more groups of people beyond those creating the show "not being able to think".
    Last edited by A Dalek; April 3, 2020 at 04:44pm.

  10. #85
    Heroic Warrior Zentron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Moon View Post
    I'm finding you're becoming less coherent but I'll answer you.

    No one is at fault for Angella's choice - which is a reaction to a set of circumstances put in motion by Catra (Catra's motiovations and arc have been covered several times on these forums, and in the show quite clearly).

    Angella, who has been a distant queen, a queen whose choices caused her husband to die has been living with the guilt of staying behind the lines whilst others sacrifice themselves for her cause - this dynamic is expressed most often by Angella being over-protective of her daughter.

    Angella's arc resolves when she finds the strength to leave Micah behind (both Literally and figuratively) and sacrifice herself to save She-Ra, whom she knows is more valuable to Etheria than herself. She even explains her arc for the kids at home.

    Thus Angella goes from someone wracked with guilt for sacrificing loved ones in the war to a soldier on the front lines herself who finds her courage and makes the ultimate sacrifice of her OWN life. A self-confessed coward finds her courage - this is her arc.
    Heh, that was an answer to a question that I did not ask! The answer was of course, GLIMMER! Everything you mentioned in your non-answer to my question, was enabled to happen, because of Glimmer and her selfishness, which has put her and everyone else in danger time and time again, with her most recent exploit, in which she almost caused the destruction of the entire planet, but it is because of her, that Angella is gone!

    zodak74 I also said "and passed". What shows disrespect to the medium, is putting out trash shows with no more thought put into them other then "Where can I insert a fart joke? Because kids are stupid and will like whatever I put out if I fill it with fart jokes", whilst no actual fart jokes, that's the highest mentality behind this! I don't get the streaming service, it's not worth the monthly fee, but I do buy the DVDs and Blu-Rays if they come out.
    Demand quality.

  11. #86
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    Heh, that was an answer to a question that I did not ask! The answer was of course, GLIMMER! Everything you mentioned in your non-answer to my question, was enabled to happen, because of Glimmer and her selfishness, which has put her and everyone else in danger time and time again, with her most recent exploit, in which she almost caused the destruction of the entire planet, but it is because of her, that Angella is gone!

    zodak74 I also said "and passed". What shows disrespect to the medium, is putting out trash shows with no more thought put into them other then "Where can I insert a fart joke? Because kids are stupid and will like whatever I put out if I fill it with fart jokes", whilst no actual fart jokes, that's the highest mentality behind this! I don't get the streaming service, it's not worth the monthly fee, but I do buy the DVDs and Blu-Rays if they come out.
    By that logic I should be going round declaring the original show as "disrespecting the medium", since I don't exactly the highest opinion of the old MoTU and PoP shows. I won't, but a should according to you're logic.

    I stand by what I said before. While you claim to only have contempt for those who work on the show, it's pretty clear that you do have contempt for those who like it.

  12. #87
    Heroic Warrior Zentron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,114
    I don't hold much high opinion of the original in regards to what we can do and what we can get away with today, but in terms of production back then there's nothing wrong with it. Again, we are not living in the 1980s, it is the 2000s, we've progressed, or, at least we had, then we got given this, a production that at its absolute best..... is mediocre (though in no way is it as bad as ThunderCats Roar)! Now, I don't know if the next episode batch drop is going to provide a satisfactory viewing experience, if it does, I could come around to liking it, but if not... oh well, here's waiting the next production, hopefully with a team that doesn't need sorting out midway through production!

    Contempt for the ones who worked on it, but bewilderment in regards to those who like it!
    Last edited by Zentron; April 4, 2020 at 05:56am.
    Demand quality.

  13. #88
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    I don't hold much high opinion of the original in regards to what we can do and what we can get away with today, but in terms of production back then there's nothing wrong with it. Again, we are not living in the 1980s, it is the 2000s, we've progressed, or, at least we had, then we got given this, a production that at its absolute best..... is mediocre (though in no way is it as bad as ThunderCats Roar)! Now, I don't know if the next episode batch drop is going to provide a satisfactory viewing experience, if it does, I could come around to liking it, but if not... oh well, here's waiting the next production, hopefully with a team that doesn't need sorting out midway through production!

    Contempt for the ones who worked on it, but bewilderment in regards to those who like it!
    The thing is I don't think the original holds up very well even when compared to others of the time. The original Gundam series predates MoTU by four years and while it's production values don't hold up all that well, it's story telling defiantly does (outside of a few moments) and Zeta Gundam had much better production values than MoTU despite only coming out two years after it.

    As for Netflix She-Ra, honestly the animation quality is fine, nothing special but the characters all move smoothly enough and are decently expressive.

    If you think it's a bad show, then frankly that's not a good reason to have contempt for those behind it, in my opinion. And having "bewilderment" is still frankly an insulting attitude to have and frankly I don't believe you, when you say you don't have contempt for those who like it.

  14. #89
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,120
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    The thing is I don't think the original holds up very well even when compared to others of the time. The original Gundam series predates MoTU by four years and while it's production values don't hold up all that well, it's story telling defiantly does (outside of a few moments) and Zeta Gundam had much better production values than MoTU despite only coming out two years after it.

    As for Netflix She-Ra, honestly the animation quality is fine, nothing special but the characters all move smoothly enough and are decently expressive.

    If you think it's a bad show, then frankly that's not a good reason to have contempt for those behind it, in my opinion. And having "bewilderment" is still frankly an insulting attitude to have and frankly I don't believe you, when you say you don't have contempt for those who like it.
    You can't compare Manga turned anime series to american produced for syndication cartoons. two different audiences two different mentalities. Also Lou was doing his darndest to save american animation jobs so yeah the production values will suffer. Hell The original gundam is better than this new she-ra and it predates it by decades. so there's that if you want to do that.
    I really can't stand when fans of this show who SEEMED to be fans of the original have to crap on the original to bolster the new one. the original had flaws but it's a product of its time and circumstance and as such it still does hold up well if you allow yourself to forgive it for those limitations.

    This new one - it has some qualities i give it, but I can't forgive the AWFUL dialogue. Nearly everyone speaks in the same voice, they all sound like Zooey Daschenal in New Girl.

    And everything is a "joke" until it's not and even then sometimes it tries to be a joke. When Adora was accusing Shadow Weaver of being the spy, her retort to shadow weaver is so awkward and poorly written it doesn't fit the scene at all.

    For me thus far the show is awful cringey humour attempts, awkward unrealistic dialogue and then a serious stand off/conflict that is overall satisfying. And I can't speak for ANYONE but it feels like those that are into it are either fans of that type of writing overall or those who just think that the episodic nature of it is a step up from the generally stand alone format of the original and those conflict moments when taken seriously give it enough meat to matter.

    i think it's an awful show with some redeeming factors myself. If it weren't called She-ra I wouldn't be watching it. But i give it this - if you compiled the highlights into a movie it would be alright, because there ARE some good things underneath all the stuff i feel is not good.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  15. #90
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    You can't compare Manga turned anime series to american produced for syndication cartoons. two different audiences two different mentalities. Also Lou was doing his darndest to save american animation jobs so yeah the production values will suffer. Hell The original gundam is better than this new she-ra and it predates it by decades. so there's that if you want to do that.
    I really can't stand when fans of this show who SEEMED to be fans of the original have to crap on the original to bolster the new one. the original had flaws but it's a product of its time and circumstance and as such it still does hold up well if you allow yourself to forgive it for those limitations.

    This new one - it has some qualities i give it, but I can't forgive the AWFUL dialogue. Nearly everyone speaks in the same voice, they all sound like Zooey Daschenal in New Girl.

    And everything is a "joke" until it's not and even then sometimes it tries to be a joke. When Adora was accusing Shadow Weaver of being the spy, her retort to shadow weaver is so awkward and poorly written it doesn't fit the scene at all.

    For me thus far the show is awful cringey humour attempts, awkward unrealistic dialogue and then a serious stand off/conflict that is overall satisfying. And I can't speak for ANYONE but it feels like those that are into it are either fans of that type of writing overall or those who just think that the episodic nature of it is a step up from the generally stand alone format of the original and those conflict moments when taken seriously give it enough meat to matter.

    i think it's an awful show with some redeeming factors myself. If it weren't called She-ra I wouldn't be watching it. But i give it this - if you compiled the highlights into a movie it would be alright, because there ARE some good things underneath all the stuff i feel is not good.
    1: Gundam was meant to be a kids show. Tomino has gone on record saying that he intended it for children. So I don't think the " different audience argument" flys all that much.

    2: All of Filmations moral reasons for doing things the way they did, dosn't change the fact that most of there work looked bad, even by the standards of the time. While the likes of Transformers, GI Joe, Ninja Turtles ect, look dated today, they have still aged much more gracefully than the original MoTU/PoP

    3: I have never been a fan of the original MoTU/PoP. I have allways been upfront about the fact that my gateway was the 03 series.

    4: I don't hate shows with stand alone episodes. I mentioned liking Pretty Cure/Precure before. And most of those shows are 80% standalone episodes and 20% plot related episodes.

    5: "The only people who like the show are those, who already like that kind of thing" seems like a pretty weak way to dismiss peoples reasons for liking the show.

    6: Isn't kind hypocritical to call the dialogue in the modern She-Ra unrealistic and then turn around and say the stilted dialogue of the original is realistic?

  16. #91
    Heroic Warrior Zentron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,114
    1. It was made for kids in Japan, very different audience
    2. Those shows were made in which country? Oh yeh, mainly in Japan
    3. OK
    4. Still a heck of a lot mote than the 1.3% plot in this show
    5. If that's the reason then that's the reason
    6. Again, you're making stuff up
    7. We will see how well the new show ends soon
    Demand quality.

  17. #92
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    4. Still a heck of a lot mote than the 1.3% plot in this show
    I think you are underestimating just how much filler that is. That's over 16 years, 740 episodes and 28 movies, with 80% of it being filler.

    You are also kind of missing the point of what I said there, since I was debunking the idea that people only say nice things about Netflix She-Ra, just by way of it being more serialised.

  18. #93
    Heroic Warrior Cheshire Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    466
    How is Glimmer responsible for Angella's PERSONAL DECISION to sacrifice herself instead of allowing Adora to? Angella could have let Adora sacrifice herself but she CHOSE to sacrifice herself instead.

    Glimmer's increasing stubbornness and self-isolation are part of her arc, she spends the earlier seasons railing against authoritya and sneakign out with her friends; only to become the authority herself which she then fails at by distancing herself from her friends and actually becoming the thing she's dead set against becoming (a passive queen in isolation like her mother)

    by you reasoning that Glimmer is responsible for Angella's death you can extrapolate almost anything... if Adora had never found the sword Angella would be alive, if Catra had been big enough to not sulk about Adora's promotion Angella would still be alive, If Light Hope had never brought Adora to Etheria Angella would be alive... Angella is gone because she made a choice, she could have let Adora close the portal but she overcame her shortcomings and completed her character arc and took action.

    Your argument that Glimmer caused Angella's death also invalidates your argument that there is no plot. There clearly is a plot, based around Adora and Catra's dynamic - that spins out into myriad threads of opposing ideologies taking Adora closer and closer to her role as hero and Catra closer to the role of villain.
    A fabulous new wardrobe was revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said...

  19. #94
    Ancient One zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    14,753
    Rewatched the rest of Season 4 over the weekend and am pretty excited about what the final batch of episodes is going to reveal. With Etheria being pulled out of Despondos and Glimmer in the hands of Horde Prime, the sky's the limit and it looks like a good chunk of the season will probably be space-bound, which is pretty cool! I'm hoping we see the likes of Mantenna, Modulok, Mosquitor, etc aboard Prime's ship. And still holding out that Sweet Bee and the Star Sisters (space-themed gals themselves) show up. I'm guessing Peekablue and the actual Flutterina are probably sidelined for series inclusion this go 'round?

  20. #95
    Heroic Warrior Zentron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Moon View Post
    How is Glimmer responsible for Angella's PERSONAL DECISION to sacrifice herself instead of allowing Adora to? Angella could have let Adora sacrifice herself but she CHOSE to sacrifice herself instead..
    Remember, what you are being told in an episode, is not always what is going or has gone on, you have to look at the chain of events that led up to a certain scene, the monologue from Angella in the last scene of her in, was nothing more than the writers doing the whole, 'pin the blame on a character virtually nobody gives two about and is about to be eradicated from the show, so it doesn't matter', treatment, even though it's not actually her fault that things have come to that moment, it's Glimmer's fault. Catra may have pulled the switch of the machine, but if it weren't for Glimmer and her haphazardness, Angella would still be alive, "Oh she hates this idea.... which is why I didn't tell her we were going", no backup, no communication, no supplies, no plan, sneaking off without telling anyone, especially her mother, her queen and her commanding officer....

    Glimmer really does like doing this, she's been doing it from the very first episode, granted they met Adora in that one, but she's never once evolved passed this as a character, even in the last bunch of episodes from S4, she's been doing it and nearly destroyed the entire planet, thankfully Adora saved everyone, though Glimmer was about to kill, not just her mother this time, but everyone on the planet. Though back to Angella, she wouldn't have had to make the decision to sacrifice herself, if Glimmer hadn't been such a liability as a commander, and as a daughter. In fact most problems in this show, they can be traced back to Glimmer, her selfish decisions have caused much harm to her and those around her caught in her selfishness... she is the true villain of this show!

    Maybe she will change in S5, but the writers seem to just double down on nearly everything, even when it's clear they messed up!
    Last edited by Zentron; April 6, 2020 at 08:05pm.
    Demand quality.

  21. #96
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    784
    Could you at least break stuff up into paragraphs and not throw gigantic walls of text at people?
    Last edited by A Dalek; April 7, 2020 at 06:43am.

  22. #97
    Heroic Warrior Cheshire Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    Remember, what you are being told in an episode, is not always what is going or has gone on, you have to look at the chain of events that led up to a certain scene, the monologue from Angella in the last scene of her in, was nothing more than the writers doing the whole, 'pin the blame on a character virtually nobody gives two about and is about to be eradicated from the show, so it doesn't matter', treatment, even though it's not actually her fault that things have come to that moment, it's Glimmer's fault. Catra may have pulled the switch of the machine, but if it weren't for Glimmer and her haphazardness, Angella would still be alive, "Oh she hates this idea.... which is why I didn't tell her we were going", no backup, no communication, no supplies, no plan, sneaking off without telling anyone, especially her mother, her queen and her commanding officer....

    Glimmer really does like doing this, she's been doing it from the very first episode, granted they met Adora in that one, but she's never once evolved passed this as a character, even in the last bunch of episodes from S4, she's been doing it and nearly destroyed the entire planet, thankfully Adora saved everyone, though Glimmer was about to kill, not just her mother this time, but everyone on the planet. Though back to Angella, she wouldn't have had to make the decision to sacrifice herself, if Glimmer hadn't been such a liability as a commander, and as a daughter. In fact most problems in this show, they can be traced back to Glimmer, her selfish decisions have caused much harm to her and those around her caught in her selfishness... she is the true villain of this show!

    Maybe she will change in S5, but the writers seem to just double down on nearly everything, even when it's clear they messed up!
    I get what you're saying, not that I think this constitutes garbage storytelling.

    Glimmer's flaw is perhaps that she rushes off in an attempt to prove herself and causes more harm than good - as the stakes increase, and as her power and responsibility grows the fallout increases. This is true of everyone's arc in the show as well as most action adventure cartoons in general.

    In season 1 Glimmer tries to handle things by herself and ends up glitching, in 2 her behaviour results (indirectly) in her mother sacrificing herself and in 3 she's activates the heart of Etheria. Catra's arc is similar in that in Season 1 she decides to attack Brightmoon, in season 2 she activates the portal thus jeopardizing the entire planet, in Season 3 she aligns herself (albeit skeptically) with Horde Prime and greater universal evil...

    "Doubling down'' on characters flaws leads said character to the darkest place they can go (constrained of course by genre, demographic...) which is all pretty standard plotting.

    You're upset characters aren't showing MORE self awareness and growth, sooner. I get this is frustrating but Noelle and her team have 4 seasonal arcs mapped out, they're progressing at the rate the number of episodes requires they progress at.

    I get your point but it's merely indicative of you not liking the way these characters are written rather than an objective observation that the writers do not know what they're doing.
    Last edited by Cheshire Moon; April 7, 2020 at 11:21am.
    A fabulous new wardrobe was revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said...

  23. #98
    Heroic Warrior Chris85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    2: All of Filmations moral reasons for doing things the way they did, dosn't change the fact that most of there work looked bad, even by the standards of the time. While the likes of Transformers, GI Joe, Ninja Turtles ect, look dated today, they have still aged much more gracefully than the original MoTU/PoP

    3: I have never been a fan of the original MoTU/PoP. I have allways been upfront about the fact that my gateway was the 03 series.
    And it shows.
    OG He-Man and She-Ra still look better than Netflix's She-Ra thanks to a better and more realistic art style and better character design. New She-Ra wins in animation quality department, it's smooth and all and doesn't rely on a stock animation, even if body proportions are inconsistent.
    It's a matter of taste of course, but I doubt I will ever get used to how awful new She-Ra (the character, not the show) looks, it's a nightmare for me and I don't know how someone could greelight that design. Starting from masculine body, ugly face, "bald" head and ending with unfortunate costume changes. It's your main character, what gives? Catra and Bow look fine for example.
    Last edited by Chris85; April 12, 2020 at 09:46am.

  24. #99
    Heroic Warrior Asher Tye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,075
    So here's a thought. What are the chances that Entrapta will rebuild the Sword of Protection to re-empower She-Ra? I mean, she is the only one with a working knowledge of First One's tech.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

  25. #100
    Ancient One zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    14,753
    I think either that, or Adora will go through some sort of trial where she discovers she can become She-Ra without using the sword or will repair the sword herself through the completion of some sort of task (sort of like the classic PoP episode- was it "Sword In The Stone"? combined with elements of MYP "Power Of Grayskull" episode).
    One more month til we find out! I'm looking forward to seeing "hair down" Adora for the remainder of the show, maybe also with a costume change for She-Ra as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •