Thread: The “Marvel Buys Mattel” Conspiracy Thread

Heroic Warrior

The “Marvel Buys Mattel” Conspiracy Thread

This has been speculated for some time on a few grounds. Mainly:

Marvel/Hasbro licensing agreements are up at the end of the year.
    Mattel has had some rough years financially.
    Mattel makes Toy Story figures.
    Disney supposedly wants Barbie as a princess and theme park attraction and that share of the doll market.
    It could either mess with or give Disney a piece of the Netflix MOTU stuff.
    Star Wars is having mixed results and Mattel’s IP might help diversify the merch side of things.

I was mulling this over and had a funny thought about what COULD happen:

7 inch adult collector Marvel figures to pair with Disney Store Selects and McFarlane DC. Not really an option under the Hasbro arrangement and Diamond is limited to about 10 Selects a year right now to not compete with Hasbro. There’s also significant reason to think Diamond Comics distributors is about to be sold to someone like Disney as the owner’s core staff is being transferred to his non-Diamond businesses.

5.5” Masters of the Marvel Universe as a kiddie retail line ala Origins and WWE.

The 7/5.5” split probably would line up with where a lot of the market is going (bigger and smaller).

Hasbro is not only pushing Power Rangers as a Marvel Legends spin-off style line already but is about to launch Ghostbusters and G.I.Joe into the same part of the toy aisle, which seems weird unless maybe they’re expecting to lose Marvel Legends. Kinda explains the aggressive push the last few years to finish a lot of Marvel teams big and small. I love the recent offerings but the pace and collection finishing touches almost don’t feel like somebody expecting to do this for another 5 years.

Interesting, if true. I have heard rumblings about this and plenty of similar things for years, though. We'll see!
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Well on Ghostbusters there is a movie coming out. Also rumours have been that Sony might be selling off it's movie division which could get bought up by Disney.

G.I. Joe they release something new every 5 years or so let it run for a bit than stop.

My Little pony I would assume will be dwindling down with a new take since friendship is magic is ending. The replacement could sink or swim.

Hasbro still has Star Wars and some other Disney stuff, and it did seem there for a bit at least that Hasbro and Disney were becoming quite close.

Would be interesting if it did happen. I would almost prefer them to not do an adult line though if it did happen .
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Here's my thoughts.

Mattel is worth around 5 billion. They rejected Hasbro's buyout offer of 11 billion. I doubt Disney would offer more than that.

Marvel used to have their own distribution company (Heroes World) which was problematic at best. They killed it off and signed an exclusive contract with Diamond.

That was one of the main factors that led to the Antitrust investigation Diamond found itself in. Though Diamond was found guilty of having a comic distribution monopoly in North America, they were allowed to continue their method of operations as usual mainly due to the fact that they themselves were not a publisher of note.

In other words, if Marvel, DC or Image decided to buy Diamond out, that monopoly charge would probably stick. And you better believe that Warner Brothers and Image would file suit if the only way they could get their comics in stores was through their biggest competitor.

So I don't think Marvel/Disney is going to buy out either Mattel or Diamond. I could see Disney buying out Hasbro and Sony, and I can see a non-comics based concern buying out Diamond. I would expect Disney to buy out Lego before I would Mattel.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    Here's my thoughts.

Mattel is worth around 5 billion. They rejected Hasbro's buyout offer of 11 billion. I doubt Disney would offer more than that.

Marvel used to have their own distribution company (Heroes World) which was problematic at best. They killed it off and signed an exclusive contract with Diamond.

That was one of the main factors that led to the Antitrust investigation Diamond found itself in. Though Diamond was found guilty of having a comic distribution monopoly in North America, they were allowed to continue their method of operations as usual mainly due to the fact that they themselves were not a publisher of note.

In other words, if Marvel, DC or Image decided to buy Diamond out, that monopoly charge would probably stick. And you better believe that Warner Brothers and Image would file suit if the only way they could get their comics in stores was through their biggest competitor.

So I don't think Marvel/Disney is going to buy out either Mattel or Diamond. I could see Disney buying out Hasbro and Sony, and I can see a non-comics based concern buying out Diamond. I would expect Disney to buy out Lego before I would Mattel.
    Huh. I remember some of that on the distribution front. Antitrust regulation is a bit more lax domestically now. Big hurdles internationally but Diamond isn’t a huge force outside the U.S.

Diamond could sell shares so that it’s owned more or less by marketshare of the DM. My understanding is WB has right of first refusal but maybe it could sell 40% to Disney and 40% to WB and 10% to Image, 5% IDW, etc. I gather Steve Geppi wants out and I think it’s timed with Perlmutter getting out of management.

Or Amazon could be looking at buying. Frankly, they’d run circles around Diamond’s actual distribution although shops might grumble as it gives Amazon a stake in essentially every comic produced.

In general, niche businesses don’t get treated as monopolies anymore because the idea is that they’re in competition with larger categories. Ie. There is no comics industry in the eyes of a lot of American regulators. There’s an entertainment industry where comics are treated as competing with games, books, streaming, cinema, etc. The argument would go that the gross on direct market comics nationally is like a shopping district in a midsized city so a distribution monopoly is basically no different than being the landlord to Mall of America.

made a mistake typing: Is Disney Going........ on Google

I believe if it collapsed around the company? They better have a good backup plan for the Union, people and viewers or else the Hollywood going to have a bad breakdown.
    Last edited by Fendi; January 16, 2020 at 11:34am.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Well on Ghostbusters there is a movie coming out. Also rumours have been that Sony might be selling off it's movie division which could get bought up by Disney.

G.I. Joe they release something new every 5 years or so let it run for a bit than stop.

My Little pony I would assume will be dwindling down with a new take since friendship is magic is ending. The replacement could sink or swim.

Hasbro still has Star Wars and some other Disney stuff, and it did seem there for a bit at least that Hasbro and Disney were becoming quite close.

Would be interesting if it did happen. I would almost prefer them to not do an adult line though if it did happen .
    I don't think Disney want's anything from Sony except:

Heroic Warrior
    I think Disney could also live with having the Playstation brand at their disposal.

Marvel to buy Mattel? I don't believe that.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...