Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: G.I. Joe Classified 6" Line By Hasbro

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    Ok, so phantom seemed to be implying that Hasbro had a lot of stuff that they hadn't covered period; you seem to have a completely different take.

Look, I don't disagree with most of this stuff per se, but these are pretty pedantic grievances in the grand scheme of things. Hasbro rode the 3.75" scale until the wheels completely fell off and you want them to get out and push the car down the road, metal on asphalt, so you can get 7 or 8 year old figures on a different card back or a specific figure that was already released packed with a vehicle that was also already released? Again, I don't disagree that the things you're suggesting would have been better if they had happened at the time, but to produce a whole retail wave of figures to "fix" relatively minor things from 10 years ago in a line that essentially died at retail two years ago (and that's probably being generous) sounds ludicrous to me.

Now if you're say, "Oh, I know that'll never happen, it's just what I want," then that's fine. But that doesn't sound like what you're saying and it definitely didn't sound like what phantom was saying.

I think a big problem lies in that very last line you wrote: it's a complete non sequitur. You could kitbash 5 complete waves worth of figures that many hardcore Joe fans thought were amazing, and Hasbro could follow your directions to the letter, but that doesn't mean those figures would be commercially successful, much less "make a ton of money". The 50th Anniversary line was pretty much exactly what you're describing: a 4" anniversary line that was largely based on reused tools, repaints, and outright re-releases. And yes, it gave us a few great figures; but it was also a commercial failure. Sure, you could say "well, Hasbro didn't do [this or that] properly, and if they had, it would have been a rip roaring success and Joes would have been flying off the shelves" but I think we all know that's just wishful thinking.
    Correct, I had a different take from Phantom, but I do feel that there were plenty of vintage vehicles left to be done in the modern era. I only posted with such specifics in reply to you asking Phantom what he specially wanted or I wouldn’t have been so tedious. And of course there is some level of what I’d want to see. Isn’t that the bulk of what we chat about there? I think the, “Wouldn’t this be cool” idea is what keeps toy sites going. But many of my desired remakes have been echoed numerous times on Joe sites. I feel I was being more altruistic than pedantic. I’m not the selfish sort.

I keep hearing how expensive tooling is. My point was that there was a less costly way to do a 4” Joe line, make fans happy bY filling some gaps and Hasbro could make some easy money on existing tooling. Character wise there wasn’t too much not covered, you’re right, but many were poorly made figures. Fans would still be interested in paying for improved versions of their beloved figures. The Joe Collectors Club though did prove that fans will pay collector prices for some very obscure figures so there is money to be made off of any Joe left unturned, but in smaller numbers. Maybe as comic con exclusives?

50th updated some figures that did needed updating, and I was happy to grab them, but I think there are other reason the line was not a success. The 50th line would have sold better if they made some smarter decisions and had a a budget for a successful launch, and if the figures were easier to find at retail. There were just as many terrible figures in that line, as there were good. I liked a lot of what the 50th line had to offer and am grateful for Mark Weber bringing some of those figures to light but I wouldn’t say it was really what I wanted for Joe. Destro and Gung Ho? Yes. The line as a whole? Not so much. The after market prices for some of the 50th items should be raising eyebrows at Hasbro though.

I disagree that a modern 4” Joe brand can’t be a rip roaring success. Those 30th figures did fly off the shelves back in 2010,2011, and 2012. Hasbro put a lot of work into those figures. They were hard to find as they sold out quickly, at least in my neck of the woods, because they looked great. Fans who bought dozens of Snake Eyes and Storm Shadows since 2007 lined up again for the Ultimates. Joe fans will rebuy characters that they already have in their collections if they are done better. 50th Gung Ho and Destro did sell well as upgrades, and rightfully so. Joe collectors have proven that they will pay for good product. The Club never failed to fund any of the 8 figure subscriptions at over $300 a sub ($25 bucks a figure, ten dollars more than the current rate of Star Wars 4” figures) with some of the most obscure characters in the brand. Not to mention the figure subscription service just ended last year. So that fan base is still active and at this Point humgry. Over priced Joe Con items commonly sold out. Give the Joe fans something impressive and they’ll drop the cash. I have to agree to disagree you my friend. If the wheels came off the wagon it was Hasbro’s doing. If the 50th line had a bigger budget to do more figure like Gung Ho, or Destro, I think it would have sold better.

Some of that blame goes to TRU also. They had this protocol with “the complete experience” thing were good guys had to come packaged with bad guys. I’ve never agreed with this. It wasn’t needed in the era when toys left high water marks that still hold the title.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    And nothing can beat this cardback packaging to be honest...I am really glad it was carried over the 25th anniv line. Wish classified makes a box art similar to this design if they cannot be in cardbacks.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...950789de2a.jpg

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    Agreed. There may be hope though. The 6” Star Wars Black series did eventually re release figures on the vintage Kenner style card. I’m hoping there is a chance for Joes too, maybe with ARAH redesigns too.
    Last edited by MJOLNIR; Today at 04:39pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I guess I'm just mostly upset because this was an opportunity to recreate one of her iconic looks... Marvel, Sunbow, even DiC or the Declassified look.

This new look just seems off to me... but, I might just be getting too nit-picky because nostalgia is clouding my judgement.

I found this custom Roadblock figure that basically shows us what a 6" version would have looked like if Hasbro used the classic V.1 designs:

Attachment 122838

Attachment 122839

Attachment 122840
    That is a really cool custom.

It's weird how nostalgia for certain characters looks etc can affect out opinions.
    With MOTUC as much as I loved the N.A. He-Man, Tuskadpr and Flipshot I was really annoyed that the faces didn't look like the cartoon or vintage toys.

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    80's packaging, in general, is a gazillion times more visually stunning than toy packaging today. Seeing those 25th Anniversary GI*JOE's on vintage style cards was half the appeal of the line. Star Wars figures on vintage style cards are cool as well. Too bad Transformers Classics/Generations figures didn't go the same route. Honestly, I don't think vintage style packaging would save GI*JOE Classified.
    Agreed. Make Toys re released their 3rd Party Jazz in a 1984 styled Transformers package and it looked amazing! I think Hasbro should have gone back to that vintage card for the Joe line after the RoC line, at least for the 30th anniversary ARAH characters. It was a big draw for me with the 25th line.

I guess I'm just mostly upset because this was an opportunity to recreate one of her iconic looks... Marvel, Sunbow, even DiC or the Declassified look.

This new look just seems off to me... but, I might just be getting too nit-picky because nostalgia is clouding my judgement.

I found this custom Roadblock figure that basically shows us what a 6" version would have looked like if Hasbro used the classic V.1 designs:

Attachment 122838

Attachment 122839

Attachment 122840
    That is one bad arse Roadblock.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I personally am more of a fan of the vintage toy designs over the Sunbow cartoon or Marvel Comics designs. But that's just my preference. I'm split on the head sculpts on these. Scarlet is OK. I think Duke's head sculpt is great. Destro looks OK but I would prefer the more blocky design of the vintage toy. Roadblock I don't like at all.
    Roadblock is probably the weakest. The sculpt is fine but the beard makes him look less like Roadblock.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Etherius Eterno View Post
    Justin Bell of GeneralsJoes is doing his Classified reviews, for anyone interested. I always loved Justin's reviews back in the day, for anyone not familiar, he has been posting Joe reviews since, well, the New Sculpt era I think, he has such a depth of Joe knowledge, and always has some great thoughts on the new offerings. I'm just excited to be seeing Joe reviews from him again.

http://www.generalsjoesreborn.com/20...assified-duke/

http://www.generalsjoesreborn.com/wp...d-duke-9-1.jpg
    Awesome. I used to love reading his reviews. Aside from the awesome Resolute catoon, his review of Rise Of Cobra City Strike Snake Eyes is probably what made me love that design and figure so much.
    I will have to read his reviews of the Classified figures.

Widget
    I've been out of action for a few months due to health but having now recovered I've been catching up on some collectables and other things,I'm so happy to see 6" Joes, whilst not perfect, I do like what I've seen so far and have pre ordered wave 1, I really hope the line sticks around.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Oh that's easy. Continue with the current scales and make things compatible. I don't personally have a horse in this race... but companies very rarely have two or more lines going at the same time. In order for the new wackiness to exist... it has to murder what came before it.

Just check out the MOTUC/club grayskull vs. MOTU Origins threads. It's a distinct snapshot of 'killing one line to promote a completely new one.'

GI Joe has been stagnant for years now.... specificially because they focused too much on the 6-7 A-listers. 68 versions of Snake eyes.... 8 Rock and Roll.... There are a LOT of characters out there that they could spread some love around with.

I do think that 6" figures are inherently dumb. The lack of vehicles in a line like this is just shooting themselves in teh foot. GI Joe and vehicles are just... iconic. and having to pay $80-$100 for something like a HISS tank just isn't going to be realistic.

Which is why (unlike many) I refuse to support "Origins" they put a stopper on Super 7 for their ugly line and quite frankly I don't want to collect another scale.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

Heroic Warrior

Attachment 122838

Attachment 122839

Attachment 122840

Now THAT is Roadblock (minus the out of scale gun).

Attachment 122838

Attachment 122839

Attachment 122840
    Sweet! The v2 outfit would have worked just as well for me as well if Hasbro stuck to the 86 design more closely. That’s a nice custom.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    That is a really cool custom.

It's weird how nostalgia for certain characters looks etc can affect out opinions.
    With MOTUC as much as I loved the N.A. He-Man, Tuskadpr and Flipshot I was really annoyed that the faces didn't look like the cartoon or vintage toys.
    There a line in Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, “The companions of our childhood always posess a certain power over our minds which hardly any later friend can obtain." In the story it applies to his feeling towards his adopted sister but I always use the line to explain my nostalgic love of toys to normies.
    Last edited by MJOLNIR; Today at 07:28pm.

Attachment 122838

Attachment 122839

Attachment 122840
    If the line looked like this, I'd be on board. Even if we got version 2 Roadblock instead of version 1, all I ask is that the figure is truly based on the source material.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Went ahead and added in Roadblock to my bbt preorder, since I have the exclusive snake eyes ordered no sense in getting the full case.

Part of it is kind of to spite people in a way, but he has grown on me.

The custom above is fine for the most part, not a fan of his expression. But that's just a choice of who the customerizer chose for the head, hasbro if they had gone with the mustache would have liked gone with a more similar expression to what they are doing in the released figure. The problem being it's easily interpreted as 'angry black man,' which could be why they went with the full beard in the first place. Mustache alone with an intense look in the eyes is easier to come off as angry, where as with the beard it can soften it just enough to where it just looks like he's intent
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post

Went ahead and added Roadblock to my bbt preorder, Part of it is kind of to spite people in a way

The custom above is fine for the most part, not a fan of his expression. The problem being it's easily interpreted as 'angry black man,'

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Went ahead and added in Roadblock to my bbt preorder, since I have the exclusive snake eyes ordered no sense in getting the full case.

Part of it is kind of to spite people in a way, but he has grown on me.

The custom above is fine for the most part, not a fan of his expression. But that's just a choice of who the customerizer chose for the head, hasbro if they had gone with the mustache would have liked gone with a more similar expression to what they are doing in the released figure. The problem being it's easily interpreted as 'angry black man,' which could be why they went with the full beard in the first place. Mustache alone with an intense look in the eyes is easier to come off as angry, where as with the beard it can soften it just enough to where it just looks like he's intent
    To be fair to the customizer, Roadblock did have an intense look on his face on the vintage cart art. Most of the figure art was sort of a snap shot of the characters in the heat of battle, most of the characters had pretty intense looks. I wouldn’t read that deep into it without the customer’s input, he or she may have just been trying to capture that card art look. But I understand what you’re saying. I always sort of though of RB as a good natured dude. I really enjoy him on the old cartoon. Knew a few dudes just like him. The Resolute look of him always felt out of character. Roadblock always felt more in character with a Nightcrawler smile rather than a Wolverine scowl. And I’ve bought things in spite myself. I really like the portrait of the actual Classified Roadblock figure. And always liked that 86 outfit. It’s the legs that ruin the vibe for me.
    Last edited by MJOLNIR; Today at 09:07pm.