Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: G.I. Joe Classified 6" Line By Hasbro

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Aside from that gold gun for Destro being dumb, how can they do two figures so right, and the other three so poorly...
    Yes, the gold remind of iron grenadier Destro. Anyway, 2 hit, 3 missed, maybe the last reveal will make me decide at least to jump on wave 1.

I still can't myself going all in on this line.
    3-3/4 will still be kept, that's for sure.

Getting the whole wave 1 the most, cherry pick maybe or sticking to Snake Eyes only the least is what I have to decide soon.

Whatever it is, it is nice to own at least one of these for representation on my collection.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by motogp_fanatic; March 27, 2020 at 11:58pm.
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

A target demographic should not have to repaint the line.
    I still think Hasbro will do some kind of ARAH redecos on these as exclusives. It's obvious from the reaction the line is getting overall that the majority of the collector market wants more ARAH-ish designs and decos.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I still think Hasbro will do some kind of ARAH redecos on these as exclusives. It's obvious from the reaction the line is getting overall that the majority of the collector market wants more ARAH-ish designs and decos.
    I hope you are right. And that they do something about that dreadful Roadblock gun.

I hope you are right. And that they do something about that dreadful Roadblock gun.
    I saw a photoshoped Scarlet that actually looked pretty good with a ARAH deco like the gold parts painted yellow and her pants in the same purple as her top.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I saw a photoshoped Scarlet that actually looked pretty good with a ARAH deco like the gold parts painted yellow and her pants in the same purple as her top.
    Could you show it or send it to me? I'd love to see.

Aside from that gold gun for Destro being dumb, how can they do two figures so right, and the other three so poorly...
    Yeah I know. Now I will have a Snake Eyes and Destro, in a Joe line, but not Duke, Roadblock or Scarlett. Hopefully we’ll get re release of those core characters later. Duke and Roadblock just need new lower legs and maybe new gloves but Scarlet needs new lower legs and a new portrait of not a new figure all together.

Luckily SE and Destro will fit into my Marvel Legends collection very well.

Destro looks amazing!
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Destro is the only revealed character that I’d consider buying. I really hope we get a “Pimp” Destro — the best version in my opinion.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    Yes, the gold remind of iron grenadier Destro. Anyway, 2 hit, 3 missed, maybe the last reveal will make me decide at least to jump on wave 1.

I still can't myself going all in on this line.
    3-3/4 will still be kept, that's for sure.

Getting the whole wave 1 the most, cherry pick maybe or sticking to Snake Eyes only the least is what I have to decide soon.

Whatever it is, it is nice to own at least one of these for representation on my collection.

Seriously, I don't get why Duke is being clumped so roundly into the "fail" bucket of this line. To me, he is much closer in most respects to Destro, in terms of his faithfulness to his classic design, than Scarlett or Roadblock. I mean look at the pictures again, aside from the shin things (which IDK, could be removable), Duke and Destro look very Classic to me. Destro a bit more, but Duke still very much.

EDIT:

Here's something I just noticed, it looks like Hasbro started posting the old Sunbow episodes on their Youtube channel two days ago. I think this is a first for Sunbow GI Joe on Youtube.

Last edited by Etherius Eterno; March 29, 2020 at 12:58pm.

Heroic Warrior
    He looks too young and the lower half is beyond ARAH-uninspired.

Quote Originally Posted by Etherius Eterno View Post
    Seriously, I don't get why Duke is being clumped so roundly into the "fail" bucket of this line. To me, he is much closer in most respects to Destro, in terms of his faithfulness to his classic design, than Scarlett or Roadblock. I mean look at the pictures again, aside from the shin things (which IDK, could be removable), Duke and Destro look very Classic to me. Destro a bit more, but Duke still very much.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...g?v=1582303957

https://news.hisstank.com/wp-content...Destro-001.jpg

EDIT:

Here's something I just noticed, it looks like Hasbro started posting the old Sunbow episodes on their Youtube channel two days ago. I think this is a first for Sunbow GI Joe on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmsbgGz_5RE
    To the first 3, Duke really is much closer ARAH wise, but there are really some small unnecessary things that are too many which makes it off at least for me, like the shoulder extra color than the rest of the upper uniform. Then there's the gloved hands, the armory shins, the face for me has a too intense expression too.

Well that is just me. Though this will not replace my 3-3/4 inches scale collection, I decided to get the wave 1 at least together with the exclusive SE. Will I get the next waves? As a joe fan I wish I would but now wave 1 it is.

Heroic Warrior
    To the first 3, Duke really is much closer ARAH wise, but there are really some small unnecessary things that are too many which makes it off at least for me, like the shoulder extra color than the rest of the upper uniform. Then there's the gloved hands, the armory shins, the face for me has a too intense expression too.
    You are correct.

The only thing about Duke's design that I am really not keen on is the armoured knee and shin pads.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    The only thing about Duke's design that I am really not keen on is the armoured knee and shin pads.
    Yeah me too. It's just frustrating, the lack of nuance in so much of the discussion about these figures. I actually like most of the changes they made to Duke, on the shirt, the gloves, I mean its more paint apps its more color interest. Maybe Duke has more than one tan shirt. Maybe this is his slightly different tan shirt. So I would say to Hasbro: Snake Eyes, Destro, Duke are your template for the line going forward (minus the shin guards and knee pads).

Snake Eyes-- 9/10
    Destro-- 9
    Duke-- 7.5 or 8
    Roadblock-- 5
    Scarlett-- 3

Something like that.

It's the internet, pretty much what I expected.

Of course I would argue the two best were also the ones that they were either going to get right or completely get wrong.

I know before I looked at pictures though that Scarlett was going to have the most changed, for some reason female characters tend to get the most rework. I would even argue if she hadn't been changed as much people would have been more accepting of the others. I mean Roadblock isn't a bad interpretation of his V2 look (gun aside). The things people don't like about Duke are what I would put under the knit pick side, in that those things could have been done far worse, but those are things they just don't like.

If you were to take all these back in time and show them to our youngerselves we would be able to tell you who they were supposed to be, except Scarlett. Which stepping aside, except for things I have mentioned before, as a character concept there is nothing wrong with what they did. If she was part of another line I think people would like the figure, again minus the critiques I had earlier.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Yeah me too. It's just frustrating, the lack of nuance in so much of the discussion about these figures. I actually like most of the changes they made to Duke, on the shirt, the gloves, I mean its more paint apps its more color interest. Maybe Duke has more than one tan shirt. Maybe this is his slightly different tan shirt. So I would say to Hasbro: Snake Eyes, Destro, Duke are your template for the line going forward (minus the shin guards and knee pads).

Snake Eyes-- 9/10
    Destro-- 9
    Duke-- 7.5 or 8
    Roadblock-- 5
    Scarlett-- 3

Something like that.
    I agree with your grading. Duke would be higher for me if he had a helmet. I think Duke's shinguards are removable, though. Destro is almost perfect, better than Snake Eyes for me. I love Destro's briefcase. I agree his head could be more shinier, but it's ok.

What really upsets me about Scarlett is that her sculpt is really good, but it's just the colors that kill the figure for me. I saw the Photoshopped Scarlett with the ARAH colors on Instagram, and she looks really good! Now, I'm not going to spend any money on a figure I'd have to re-paint, but I am hoping Hasbro will re-release these figures with more ARAH-accurate colors.

I think I will buy Destro and Snake Eyes for now. Maybe Duke if I see him in a store.

My favorite Joe character is Shipwreck, so I am hoping Hasbro doesn't mess him up too much. As long as Shipwreck has the sailor hat, beard, blue colored shirt, arm tattoos, and Polly, I would forgive any silly shinguards or other weird stuff they give him.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

You are correct.
    Thanks for the agreement, i really cannot put it better in words and glad someone undrrstands.

Point is it, this classified should be designed very close to ARAH design IMHO, then slowly make changes as variants... Roadblock has that look (mustache and all) but really he looks like a different guy... If you show it to your younger self, I'm sure Roadblock will not the first name that will be mentioned.

On Duke, he is ok, but to many unnecessary small things. Remove those and he will be much better.

Agree also on Scarlett colours mentioned by someone.

Could you show it or send it to me? I'd love to see.
    https://nerdrahtio.com/tag/g-i-joe-digibash/

This shows variations on her blue/silver outfit (glenda from argentina). And even using the action force Quarrel design, site as a post on that design.

out of those two I do prefer the Quarrel, but it does show that the sculpt is actually fine they just over did the paint applications.

I can imagine what a classic ARAH would look like based on those two.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I'd much prefer a Vintage recolor of Scarlet. Duke is passable (for me, only a casual Joe fan) as is. Scarlet is and has always been my favorite Joe character (ever since someone gifted me a GI Joe Colorforms set for our Santa Swap in Preschool).

As far as grading goes, I'd give these marks based on what I've seen and read so far:
    Scarlet 4/10
    Duke 8/10
    Snake Eyes 8/10 (I wish the Aishikage symbol was used more sparingly and that he had blacker pants.)
    Destro 10/10
    Roadblock 3/10 (The gun is silly and he's too busy looking.)
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    The dude that's doing the Action Force Kickstarter just did a review of the Snake Eyes release, and he really goes in depth about the problems and shortsightedness of the figure to the pluses and okay design choices Hasbro made, from the packaging to each accessory. It's long (about an hour), but it's really eye-opening. Everyone who's interested in collecting the Joe line should really check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKGxINsHCrE&t=3s

Heroic Warrior
    I'd agree there. I just took a look at some of the other Dukes that have been made on YoJoe.com... and out of the 52 redesigns that Duke has, I'd say this is probably my 3rd or 4th favorite. Seriously, he's been remade a LOT over the years... hard to REALLY go off the rails with him. If goofy shin guards are the worst thing to happen, that's probably a win.

Just saw a packaged version of these... and Good GRIEF is that a lot of wasted packaging. I heard somewhere that Hasbro was considering 'going green' with no/less plastic packaging and waste... and they seriously dropped the ball on these packagings. They're at least TWICE as big as they need to be. And therefore going to take up twice the shelf space... I feel bad for any moc collectors....

Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post
    The dude that's doing the Action Force Kickstarter just did a review of the Snake Eyes release, and he really goes in depth about the problems and shortsightedness of the figure to the pluses and okay design choices Hasbro made, from the packaging to each accessory. It's long (about an hour), but it's really eye-opening. Everyone who's interested in collecting the Joe line should really check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKGxINsHCrE&t=3s
    Interesting watch.. insightful...thanks for sharing.. too long video but now is the perfect time to watch it when most are at home.

Last edited by motogp_fanatic; April 1, 2020 at 04:50am.

My problem with Duke isn’t the shin guards, gloves, weapons, or colors, it’s his face. It’s not that the face is bad, it’s actually great, and pretty realistic. It just doesn’t look like Duke... at all.. to me.

Well that is just me. Though this will not replace my 3-3/4 inches scale collection, I decided to get the wave 1 at least together with the exclusive SE. Will I get the next waves? As a joe fan I wish I would but now wave 1 it is.

Agreed. The black on the shirt make Duke look more like a sheriff than a soldier. I could accept gloved hands, though not ARAH, but thinner leather gloves like Flint had at best. The thick padded gloves are killing me. The legs need to be redone completely. I am however ok with the head sculpt, though I do agree he looks on the younger side. I feel the same way about Roadblock. Both figures are very salvageable. a later update with better hands, and truer ARAH legs, LESS paint apps on Duke's shirt and I'm good. Maybe add the American Flag decal on the right arm per the original.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I'd agree there. I just took a look at some of the other Dukes that have been made on YoJoe.com... and out of the 52 redesigns that Duke has, I'd say this is probably my 3rd or 4th favorite. Seriously, he's been remade a LOT over the years... hard to REALLY go off the rails with him. If goofy shin guards are the worst thing to happen, that's probably a win.

Just saw a packaged version of these... and Good GRIEF is that a lot of wasted packaging. I heard somewhere that Hasbro was considering 'going green' with no/less plastic packaging and waste... and they seriously dropped the ball on these packagings. They're at least TWICE as big as they need to be. And therefore going to take up twice the shelf space... I feel bad for any moc collectors....
    Yeah, when the 6" SW Black series did releases on vintage styled Kenner cards I was hopeful for this Joe line but, it was not to be.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Just saw a packaged version of these... and Good GRIEF is that a lot of wasted packaging.
    That packaging SHOULD be loaded with extra accessories. Considering that this is a license that Hasbro owns and doesn't have to pay a license fee for, they should be loading the figures up with extra hands; heads; and weapons. These figures don't even contain BAF pieces like Marvel Legends does.