Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: G.I. Joe Classified 6" Line By Hasbro

The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    ...No offense to Bobby Vala, who's got a terribly nifty 6" millitary line coming out, but he's kind of not terribly objective when it comes to Joe & Hasbro... Understandably, as he was working on the 4" line for a while before Hasbro just cut the whole team, lol... Main point being, many folks have been asking for 6" Joes for a while, but the 3 3/4-4-scale crowd is largely vehemently opposed! But... The Snake-Eyes movie coming late this year along with other "plans" Hasbro seems to have are going to push Joes back into the forefront in a big way, we can hope! So with any luck, everyone will get what they want!
    ..."Conceived in a Hell Beyond Your Depth of Perception... Designed and Directed by His Red Right Hand."
    ...Seriously looking for a gray Sir Laser-Lot sword from the Final Wars weapon-pack!!

From all the reviews I have watched of the Snake Eyes figures I am very impressed with it.
    I still would have prefered a more ARAH V2 look but I won't let that spoil my enjoyment of 6" Joes.
    Over the years I have owned about 20 Snake Eyes figures in various outfits and colours so I quite like the new 6" figure is a new design rather than a retread of an old design.

Quote Originally Posted by kolobosrexx View Post
    ...No offense to Bobby Vala, who's got a terribly nifty 6" millitary line coming out, but he's kind of not terribly objective when it comes to Joe & Hasbro... Understandably, as he was working on the 4" line for a while before Hasbro just cut the whole team, lol...
    Agreed. He's hardly an objective reviewer since he just did that Kickstarter. To me he just sounds petty and honestly upset that Hasbro has announced the line. The Hasbro figures are hardly perfect but they make his figures look almost cartoonish IMO.

Does anyone think/hope this line will go deep with the roster selection? I am l starting to get back into GI Joe, as, aside from MOTU this was another property I greatly enjoyed as a child. Now that Classics is off the table for the foreseeable future, I started collecting some of the 25th Anniversary line, but am not sure if I want to pursue it any further if Classified goes deep.

He's upfront about that stuff throughout the video. He does say most of his problems are nitpicks and not what he would have done.

It it interesting listening to someone who designs figures review a figure though.

I didn't watch the whole video, a few times hit up different spots. While interesting it is long, and much of it is nitpicks.

As an example, he complains about the lack of paint detailing on the weapons. G.I. Joe has always been like that though, in fact it's always been one of the complaints I have had with Hasbro, Mattel and to some degree American toy companies in general. Yes, I know their is a price point cost difference when comparing them to Japanese ones but there is also the amount of accessories etc that also come with those figures. But while i know that in comparisons there is the fact that it would be almost out of the ordinary for them to paint the accessories this time.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    I went ahead and watched this video again, and did a write up of all the things he said:

He starts with the exclusive packaging -

He has a love/hate relationship with packaging. He appreciates it, but at the same time as a product designer he wants more resources put into the product/figure. With an overly expensive packaging, it takes away from the toy itself.

He feels the consumer isn't buying the product for the packaging. For Comic Con items, you certainly want flashy packaging, but a lot of times it can be overdone.

If you have a package that doesn't really incorporate things, like a file card, it's a bit of a waste.

This Snake Eyes exclusive packaging is very well done. It's nice chipboard material (like a board game box), it's heavy, and has nice embossing. But he still feels it's overdone because he would have wanted more to be invested into the product itself. He understands that it was done for CC, though.

It's a nice image on the outer box that's also printed on an insert of parchment paper. It's a nice touch, but it's an extra bit that doesn't add much to the value of the item. You could frame it and hang it on your wall, maybe...

Interior of the exclusive packaging -

He thinks it might be overdone with the foam packaging. He thinks it's very well done, but again it doesn't add to the value of the overall package. There's a lot of empty space.

The figure packaging -

The figure package is executed very nice. The artwork that's been released with all the figures is on the back, and he's not a fan of all the designs of said figures. He says it's nice, but unneeded.

He says Hasbro hides a lot of dead space in their product. Large images on the front will hide dead space, which is a waste of resources into making a box look bigger even though nothing's filling it.

Every iteration of GI Joe came with file cards, and he's baffled how this line doesn't. You could have put the rear artwork of the interior figure on the back of the large outer box and put a file card on the interior one. There are so few throwbacks to the roots of GI Joe here, and at some point Hasbro needs to pander to the older fans who can afford these high prices to begin with.

The figure -

Nice design. Interesting take on the costume. Hasbro went with the second Snake Eyes design instead of the first, and he feels the first commando SE should have been released first, but the second "visor" version isn't bad at all.

He thinks the Hasbro designers took a lot of cues from the Retaliation costume, which was nice with a good balance of textures.

He's not crazy about the head sculpt. Feels the mouth vents and chin strap piece are distracting, and that Hasbro should have done one or the other and not both. But that's okay.

He has issues with the deco of the figure. The Retaliation design had some brown in it, but he feels it's a bit boring. He didn't want just a straight black figure for this 6" figure, but breaking up the deco on this figure with the brown, grey, and metallic colors was overdone.

They brought in too much grey into the arms and legs, and the brown looks ugly. The browns on SE's straps and arm guards are different browns, and that makes no sense. It's a big miss being on the figure at all, and he would have gone with grey/dark grey instead.

Brown gives the feeling of leather, and having that color on the knuckles makes no sense. It should have been a metallic or flat dark grey, which would have made them pop more.

He does not like the pants being the color it is. It should have been black to pay homage to the original figure as the grey dominates the figure too much from top to bottom.

The Arashikage emblem is fine, but it's in too many places. The symbol on his chest is already showing signs of wear and is rubbing off.

The belt design makes no sense. It's one grey colored piece that looks like two belts that kinda looks like "a Liefeld (design)" that's there for no reason. It doesn't hold anything (weapons - molded or not) and with so much grey in the figure already, it kind of gets lost.

The knee pads are lazy. The front metallic is nice, but making the wrap around to the back of the knee metallic as well makes no sense. Why would the cloth part be the same color as the metal knee part?

The pins in the figure (for articulation) is lazy. They're all black instead of being the same color as the part of the figure they're holding together. Grey pants with black pins is a miss because it's an easy fix that he had done many times while he was working in Hasbro (most notably on the Marvel Legends line). He feels that when you're paying $50 for a figure, you wanna make sure it's worth the cash you're paying, and little misses like that tend to take away from the idea of it being a premium item.

The boots have more brown color, again, and Hasbro was very inconsistent with their paint finishes. Hasbro has a large book of paint chips with various finishes, and painting any piece in any type of finish is free - it's not an extra cost. Using gloss finishes and matte finishes should have been more closely payed attention to. The boots have too much gloss.

The (personal) glaring design problem he has are the design of the grenades. They're WW2-Vietnam pineapple grenades that don't exist in today's military. The design is a miss to him as he would have tons of reference folders to make sure things look correct and accurate. And since this figure line is being designed to look more modern day/post-2000 military, it bothers him a lot.

The shoulder/torso harnesses is nice and interesting, but it's a separate piece that keys into the torso. If you take it off, there's a weird area underneath that has no sculpt to it. Hasbro isn't giving the fans a chance to take it off (if they want to) because it leaves a blank space on his chest.

He loves the detail on the pants, with a nice texture of canvass to it. The detailing is great.

The Accessories -

The backpack is sculpted very well and with great detail. The sword sheath with the Arashikage logo is so small and unneeded, especially when it's plugged in sideways to the backpack.

He was never a fan of the sword design, even on the original figure, but it's fine for what it is.

Overall, he's not a fan of the weapon accessories because Hasbro has a knack for doing accessories in pvc that tends to bend/warp over time, look glossy, and look cheap. Giving some kind of matte finish to the sword would have made it nice
    There's lots of throwback weapon designs that look like older real world stuff (larger silencer, older uzi design, older pistol) that doesn't look modern.

You can't defend the weapons being a basic black by being a throwback to the old SE because this new one now has brown pants (note - he said grey at first, but now brown. I'm not sure what color they are).

The hands are ugly. The hinged fingers for the guns are wasted on the swords and blades because they'll just stick out. Hasbro should have included swappable hands - c-grips, fists, and something else (I couldn't hear what he said), so everything could look nice no matter what you posed him with.

He thinks the ninja star hand is a waste. SE holds a ninja star versus Marvel Legends figures who have attachable action effects to their hand pieces of them throwing out stuff (ninja stars, powers, etc).

The other hand makes no sense. It's a karate chop hand with a climbing spike. It looks unfinished because the unpainted band of the climbing spike wraps around the knuckles and hides the detail there.

There are no stands with this GI Joe line, and he remembers with Retaliation that when it/they didn't come with stands that collectors lost their minds and complained.

The Weapons Rack -

Is very nice. Very well done, but the deco of the weapons is bad. You spend $50 on a figure, and none of the weapons have any deco on them. Everything is glossy black and cheap. When you see them on the rack, it's black on black with only the tan background of the rack. The (investment of) money is there, and Hasbro could/should have taken some investment out of the packaging and put it into the product. Make the toy feel more premium. At the end of the day, he has a big heavy box, but unpainted weapons. He could be wrong, but he doesn't think he's wrong.

Articulation -

Very well done, and they're the high points of the figure. It's doing things that other Hasbro 6" figures aren't doing across the board.

The neck is a ball with a ball on it, and moves very nice. He doesn't like the butterfly shoulder joints. They move back, but not forward. He doesn't like the ab-crunch, and is an ab-rocker fan. The waist swivel is nice, and the hip joints are the best feature of the figure. It's more simple than an import figure, and he hopes it will be imported to other Hasbro figures.

Overall -

He grades the figure a B+, but because of the missed things that were easily fixable that shouldn't have been missed, it makes his grade more of a B-/C+. The little nitpicks he had would have made the figure an A+ if they would have been done.
    This figure being $50 is a problem. The figure itself is $20, so where's the other $30 extra investment going to? The weapons rack and the box are there. The weapons rack, with no deco, parts but no deco, with the mostly empty large box does not equal $30 of value.

GI Joe has no royalty, yet they're lacking a lot of accessories that they should have. You would think there would be more money invested into them since Hasbro doesn't need to pay any license fees for their own IP. But the problem is Marvel and Star Wars. You can't have a $20 figure packed full of stuff next to a Marvel figure with barely any accessories and a Star Wars figure which might have none. You can't have three similarly themed products next to each other in a store that has one line overloaded while another is empty. It's not fair to the consumer because this is a marketing decision by Hasbro and not a decision based on lack of resources.

His biggest problem with this figure is the price value. There's not enough here to justify the high price.

Hasbro only has one chance to get this line right, with the bad older movies and the upcoming SE movie, and it bothers him that this figure is only so good. If fans of GI Joe don't mind, then that's okay with him.

If the figure was $40, it would have been better. But $50, not including shipping and taxes, bothers him.

I moved a couple of his comments around just so they could be categorized and read a bit easier. So this isn't a linear dictation =) And I bolded (what I thought) was the most interesting criticism he had (at the bottom in the 'Overall' section). His review ends at the 47 minute mark, and then he goes more into his Action Force line and what all he's doing with them in comparison to what this Snake Eyes has. And I pretty much caught all of his thoughts down here, so hopefully people will have an easier time reading this than trying to watch an hour long video =)

Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    Does anyone think/hope this line will go deep with the roster selection? I am l starting to get back into GI Joe, as, aside from MOTU this was another property I greatly enjoyed as a child. Now that Classics is off the table for the foreseeable future, I started collecting some of the 25th Anniversary line, but am not sure if I want to pursue it any further if Classified goes deep.
    The 6 inch scale will be very hard to have those vehicles and playset. I believe the smaller scale covered it all, for classified line, it might not... though I hope it will, but even motuc for years was not able to cover all vehicles, and motu has few compared to gijoe. Character wise, I guess it might cover some but definitely not in the the range of the smaller scale does....

again imho.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by motogp_fanatic; April 3, 2020 at 10:00pm.
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Vala is going to have the problem that because he was basically let go from Hasbro when working on Joe and he is currently coming out with a six inch version of figures that borrow a name from an international name for Joe and some of the characters do have some thematic similarities to Joes people are going to see his review has being biased. Made worse by he does use it as a means to than show off what's going to come in his line of figures.

It is interesting comparing this review to say Fwoosh's review of the same figure.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDpsQxi775A

Where many things that Vala knocks this guy praises, of course they do agree on some things (negatively speaking).

On the part that was highlighted. First based on my previous comment about weapon paint apps, to make it fair Goodsmile's Figma's reuse the same face plate(s) and certain body parts when they can, it's just color of paint and how they handle the eyes followed by hair that makes it not stick out as much. So American companies aren't the only ones who skimp out when they can.

this was the perfect time for Hasbro to add in some more paint details on the accessories. I know amount of accessories with the other lines is a spot of contention with many, made worse by the whole 'well we gave this figure all the accessories in this wave and cut back on others in the same wave.' But this would have been the perfect time to get on that... wait based on the released photos they did do that with Duke, Destro, and Roadblocks weapons.. I know they may not be done for actual release but still early pics of Snake eyes they weren't painted.

Also with the money saved stands could have been packed in, I mean G.I. Joe traditionally has come with stands. File cards I think they just didn't want to wire a writer for them. But wait the have bio information for Star Wars and Marvel figures on the back....
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Info. on Wave 2 just dropped today. 3 news characters in the assortment. I will say no more.

Heroic Warrior
    Got destro. The rest are g I nope.. like the 2 movies they released. I'm OK on all that. I have a massive 25th collection. I'll cherry pick the 6. If they look like classics I'll get em. If they look like someone's sorry attempt to reinvent the wheel, then I'm OK on spending money on crap I don't want or need.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I'm waiting to see the sculpts. G.I.JOE: A Real American Hero is my second favorite toy property. I've always wanted to see them in a larger scale, but part of me doesn't want to delve into another line because of space and cost reasons. I wasn't a fan of the 30th Anniversary Collection, 2002 relaunch, Sigma Six, etc... I truly feel the original G.I.JOE o-ring mold is pretty hard to beat, and am content with my older figures, but of course would love more 3 3/4" Joes in the old style. Probably my favorite G.I.JOE representations outside of the vintage line were those Palisades statues in the mid-00's. I'd love to see a six inch action figure line in that vein.

G.I.JOE is a line that needs vehicles, so I'd imagine a 6" line will be very cost prohibitive, which is why they have never attempted it before. I really hope it's not like Star Wars Black which have a lot of disappointing end results.

Fingers crossed. I know if I'm wowed, I won't be able to resist.
    They lost me after the 25th. They gradually pushed me away. Then the club took over and they wanted more money than we were paying for motuc. I was like have fun with these factory made customs lol for 40 bucks. I focused on motuc since and haven't looked at Joe's til recently after going through all my extra crap and stuff I want to sell. Definitely wasn't a fan of the movie figs. Or the poc or 30th or resolute. 25th is what got me into toys as an adult and few months later motuc dropped. So, I'm only after classics. I did buy figures I thought could fit in and most them other lines for parts or new characters to build the roster.

Last edited by unclassified; April 4, 2020 at 08:34am.

Heroic Warrior
    I wanted a 6 inch Joe line since last year after getting into the black series. This ain't the Joe line I wanted hahaha. Hope they realize only a handful of Joe fans buy anything gi joe. And others just want what they know. So far destro is the only one that looks like he's supposed too. One thing I hate about black series. Well few things, they don't pose the greatest compared to other lines, and the thigh cut needs to die a unnatural death for its unnatural look and articulation spot. They should've stuck with the 25th construction just on a bigger scale or implement the hip joint from motuc as that's the most natural thigh articulation. I'm a bigger fan of Joe's over star wars, but star wars is winning here lol. Reinventing the wheel in false hopes that it will appeal is a big boo boo. They will see this in sales as it continues. Hopefully they realized the feedback wasn't all that great on these except destro. They can't judge the feedback by the 5 guys that will buy anything that says gi Joe on it even if they don't actually like it lol.

Last edited by unclassified; April 4, 2020 at 08:36am.

@unclassified, i understand all what you are saying. Agree on a lot of things you said.

I took the plunge to get SE and wave one, personally just something "complete" to own and display from this line, I love my joes next to MOTU. Wave 2 is still a possibility foe me but i have my doubts, ARAH is the way and I believe it will be hit and miss per characte, although I see this line providing a strong next 3 to 5 waves
    (hope they don't screw Zartan up and the Dreadnoks because that is one to two solid waves).

It is just not the 3-3/4 scale line, vintage and 25th covered a lot and this line will not replicate that IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddle of Steel View Post
    Info. on Wave 2 just dropped today. 3 news characters in the assortment. I will say no more.
    Hi Riddle. Please say more. Put it in a

tag, or PM me, but donít leave me hanging like this!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by unclassified View Post
    They lost me after the 25th. They gradually pushed me away. Then the club took over and they wanted more money than we were paying for motuc. I was like have fun with these factory made customs lol for 40 bucks. I focused on motuc since and haven't looked at Joe's til recently after going through all my extra crap and stuff I want to sell. Definitely wasn't a fan of the movie figs. Or the poc or 30th or resolute. 25th is what got me into toys as an adult and few months later motuc dropped. So, I'm only after classics. I did buy figures I thought could fit in and most them other lines for parts or new characters to build the roster.

I loved Pursuit of Cobra. After the 25th, you got Low Light, Hawk who could have been used as Main Frame, The Alley Viper and a few others. Getting back to Classified though there are some vehicles that can be made: Rapid Fire Motorcycle, battle Bear, Mirage and the Farret. Though not a vehicle the J.u.m.p jet pack pad.

Quote Originally Posted by cryanmchsi View Post
    I loved Pursuit of Cobra. After the 25th, you got Low Light, Hawk who could have been used as Main Frame, The Alley Viper and a few others. Getting back to Classified though there are some vehicles that can be made: Rapid Fire Motorcycle, battle Bear, Mirage and the Farret. Though not a vehicle the J.u.m.p jet pack pad.
    Cobra CLAW, Trouble Bubble, Snake Armor might be fun as well. But not sure it would feel like Joe without some of the larger vehicles. The scale works great for Superheroes because other than few motor cycles all you'd really need would be Bat Mobile/Quinn Jet and you're all set. Maybe a Punisher Van, but these few items could all be crowd funded along with the upcoming Sentinel and Galactus but 6" figures is all you need. To me, Joe and Star Wars needs more. I don't collect 6' Star Wars either.

Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    Cobra CLAW, Trouble Bubble, Snake Armor might be fun as well. But not sure it would feel like Joe without some of the larger vehicles. The scale works great for Superheroes because other than few motor cycles all you'd really need would be Bat Mobile/Quinn Jet and you're all set. Maybe a Punisher Van, but these few items could all be crowd funded along with the upcoming Sentinel and Galactus but 6" figures is all you need. To me, Joe and Star Wars needs more. I don't collect 6' Star Wars either.
    Nailed it. Agree.

That's why I'm managing my expectations on this Classified line, just picking some characters to represent the line for my personal Joe collection. Dive in initially for SE and wave 1 to have a sense of "complete" something from this line.Bottom line, for Classified it will only be several of these.

Just a personal preference and i am happy for those who wanted this line and will go deep on it.

As many suspected, the 5th character in Wave 1 is indeed Snake Eyes that is different from the exclusive.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    but these few items could all be crowd funded along with the upcoming Sentinel and Galactus but 6" figures is all you need.
    ohhh haven't heard anything about this? Any links?

Y'know I don't get why Hasbro did not do a Build-A-Figure with these Joes. Since they don't have to pay a license fee, they could pack more into these guys. And the BAF definitely works to sell more figures. And seeing how controversial some of these figures are, I would think that to increase sales of the less-than-desirable figures the BAF program could move those faster. Maybe for future waves.

ANYWAY: I think a fantastic BAF would be vehicles! As some said, there are smaller Joe vehicles like the Trouble Bubble or Claw. Each figure could come with a part for that smaller figure. I spread it over three figures as opposed to five or six, though.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    ANYWAY: I think a fantastic BAF would be vehicles! As some said, there are smaller Joe vehicles like the Trouble Bubble or Claw. Each figure could come with a part for that smaller figure. I spread it over three figures as opposed to five or six, though.
    Man, that's a great idea!

So it seems that Wave 1 will have two Snake Eyes figures one with vizor and one with goggles/ballistic mask.
    Also seems the regular release figure will have a more fututristic gun and not the Uzi.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Also seems the regular release figure will have a more fututristic gun and not the Uzi.
    Just what the customer base wanted!

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Just what the customer base wanted!
    Meh, a gun is a gun. I guess a more stylized/futuristic gun will blend in better since all the other figures have similar guns.
    Maybe they will re-use the Uzi if they ever release a fully accurate ARAH style figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    So it seems that Wave 1 will have two Snake Eyes figures one with vizor and one with goggles/ballistic mask.
    Got a link?