Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: G.I. Joe Classified 6" Line By Hasbro

I have only looked at the pictures on Hiss tank, so sorry for missing what you have said there. It looks like they combined multiple hey it would be cool if her boots were like this into one design. Many of the things being done there are fine, for example the way kind of made the front look similar to iron man with the blue slit being the eyes etc. The checkered boots, and many other things when combined become too messy for a design. Hopefully by the time it goes into production (if not already) the scale some of the paint hits down.

I try not to read other forums posts on topic such as this as it will often give me a badly skewed view of how the forum operates in general and the people posting on it. Largely because these can bring out the best and worst in people.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    i have no issues really with the sculpt choices in any of these. the color palette though seems a bit odd in several places. and i do still think we will get 'classic' renditions a bit further on. to much money to leave on the table for them not to do it really.

Quote Originally Posted by magik View Post
    i have no issues really with the sculpt choices in any of these. the color palette though seems a bit odd in several places. and i do still think we will get 'classic' renditions a bit further on. to much money to leave on the table for them not to do it really.
    If this is the look they are going for I hope they keep it consistent with every figure. I dont want any nonsense like Classics with some looking like the toys and others like the cartoon.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    If this is the look they are going for I hope they keep it consistent with every figure. I dont want any nonsense like Classics with some looking like the toys and others like the cartoon.
    when it happens i am pretty sure it would be a 'separate' line type deal, aimed strictly at collectors. them not doing collector grade figures of the classic designs (considering the amount of tooling they will be making for this classified line) would be all sorts of stupid.

Very disappointed in these. They did exactly what I feared they would do with the designs. They couldn't even get Duke's hair right or give Roadblock his correct machine gun. How could they screw this up? It's like they tried to combine the classic looks with a more modern look but IMO failed miserably. Plus the figures look to be bare-boned. Remember, this is a property Hasbro owns so they're making a better cut than on a licensed property like Marvel or Star Wars. We should be getting extra head sculpts or at least more weapons.

It's been suggested elsewhere that these designs might be based off a new unannounced media. It was just revealed that Transformers SIEGE which came out last year is getting it's own Netflix show later this year. Maybe Hasbro is doing the same thing for GIJoe?

I honestly don't think I'll pick these up. At the most, I'll cherry pick on any of the characters that have classic designs. Toy Fair has just so much great stuff this year that I want. Something like this line which is "on the fence" for me is likely going to go by the waste side. Do I buy something I love or something that's just OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I don't understand why people want 100% ARAH designs. Some of them were quite silly looking.
    Maybe to you but I don't see anything silly in the ARAH designs. None of the characters in Wave 1 have goofy looks. Duke original look was just a plain Army uniform. The original Roadblock too.What's silly about that? The ARAH designs are the definitive versions of the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    How cool would it have been if they had modeled these off the vintage card art?
    Very cool. That's what I wanted. If they had incorporated the vintage packaging to the box design, that would have made them even better and possibly attracted MOSC collectors. Mattel blew it with the MOTUC packaging and Hasbro has just repeated the same blunder here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Very disappointed in these. They did exactly what I feared they would do with the designs. They couldn't even get Duke's hair right or give Roadblock his correct machine gun. How could they screw this up? It's like they tried to combine the classic looks with a more modern look but IMO failed miserably. Plus the figures look to be bare-boned. Remember, this is a property Hasbro owns so they're making a better cut than on a licensed property like Marvel or Star Wars. We should be getting extra head sculpts or at least more weapons.

It's been suggested elsewhere that these designs might be based off a new unannounced media. It was just revealed that Transformers SIEGE which came out last year is getting it's own Netflix show later this year. Maybe Hasbro is doing the same thing for GIJoe?

I honestly don't think I'll pick these up. At the most, I'll cherry pick on any of the characters that have classic designs. Toy Fair has just so much great stuff this year that I want. Something like this line which is "on the fence" for me is likely going to go by the waste side. Do I buy something I love or something that's just OK?

Maybe to you but I don't see anything silly in the ARAH designs. None of the characters in Wave 1 have goofy looks. Duke original look was just a plain Army uniform. The original Roadblock too.What's silly about that? The ARAH designs are the definitive versions of the characters.

Very cool. That's what I wanted. If they had incorporated the vintage packaging to the box design, that would have made them even better and possibly attracted MOSC collectors. Mattel blew it with the MOTUC packaging and Hasbro has just repeated the same blunder here.
    I only said "some" ARAH desings were silly looking not all of them. Most of the first couple year designs were fine. 86/87 onwards is when the designs got weird.

Heroic Warrior
    Some pics from the Showroom. From TNI.

Gotta say they're looking great. Duke may be nigh on spectacular.

Heroic Warrior
    From a character standpoint, they look awful. Barely resemble Scarlett and Roadblock. Duke looks better, but face looks little like him. Snake Eyes looks good, with just the right medium of new and classic. Instantly recognizable. Hasbro is alienating their target audience - mostly male adults with a high-priced, collector line - and by doing so, shooting themselves in the foot with deflated sales.

From a character standpoint, they look awful. Barely resemble Scarlett and Roadblock. Duke looks better, but face looks little like him. Snake Eyes looks good, with just the right medium of new and classic. Instantly recognizable. Hasbro is alienating their target audience - mostly male adults with a high-priced, collector line - and by doing so, shooting themselves in the foot with deflated sales.
    Gotta agree. From what I've seen from around the net, the #1 complaint is that fans are not happy with the modernized designs. This isn't what most Joe fans wanted. I keep seeing the same thing, "They look pretty good BUT I really wanted ARAH designs." I hope Hasbro sees the complaints and can steer the direction of this line back to more classic stuff down the line.

If they were going to go all out on new designs they could have at least stuck to the classic color palette. I've seen a few photoshop edits where Scarlett, for example, drops the gold on her for her more classic yellow and it looks 100 times better. Less is more should be their approach.

Heroic Warrior
    Gotta agree. From what I've seen from around the net, the #1 complaint is that fans are not happy with the modernized designs. This isn't what most Joe fans wanted. I keep seeing the same thing, "They look pretty good BUT I really wanted ARAH designs." I hope Hasbro sees the complaints and can steer the direction of this line back to more classic stuff down the line.

If they were going to go all out on new designs they could have at least stuck to the classic color palette. I've seen a few photoshop edits where Scarlett, for example, drops the gold on her for her more classic yellow and it looks 100 times better. Less is more should be their approach.
    I share in many of the criticisms of Scarlett, and even Roadblock to a lesser degree, but I'm not going to paint the whole line as fail, or "not ARAH enough", when to me, Duke is basically classic Duke, sans the shin guards, which look like they might be removable anyway, they don't look molded on to me. And Snake Eyes, well he might actually be a bit less ARAH-based than even Duke, yet even people who are down on the line seem to acknowledge a liking for this Snake Eyes.

See, I'm also more on the "wanting ARAH-based" side of things. I wanted as much of the ARAH designs preserved as possible, while modernize just enough to bring them into our century. So for me, Duke and Snake Eyes are pretty much what I wanted. Scarlett, not so much. Therefore I can't just write off the whole line. I'll just have to be more choosy than I might otherwise have had to be.

Heroic Warrior

Yes, and the problem is that they rely on sales, and many don't want these. No sales, no future.

Yes, and the problem is that they rely on sales, and many don't want these. No sales, no future.
    And Joe fans will somehow support this no matter what to strenghten the franchise. That is why I might get a couple but these will not replace my Joe collection as far as I can be honest about it. Just a personal preference. Again happy for those who wants these and in these scale.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

They modernized the characters looks way too much. I'm not sure if that will resonate with the G.I. Joe collector base or not. I would have preferred a more ARAH look. Unfortunately, I don't see Hasbro going back to the drawing board if these fail. They'll just keep to the upcoming Snake Eyes movie figures that I am sure will come out next year.

preorders are up on bigbad already, looks like a june drop time.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Maybe to you but I don't see anything silly in the ARAH designs. None of the characters in Wave 1 have goofy looks. Duke original look was just a plain Army uniform. The original Roadblock too.What's silly about that? The ARAH designs are the definitive versions of the characters..
    Agree on the ARAH as the definitive look.
    The way I see it is that they will try to get away with cost and rehash and reuse existing mold and parts used in Marvel Legends line (the head they cannot get away with but the rest of the body is all up for reuse of existing parts). With that, by going to full ARAH look will require new toolings and molds and maybe that will make it more costly to make.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Court Magician
    I guess I’m just confused as to who these companies are gearing these toys towards. I feel like at this point they have to realize that kids aren’t walking into stores and buying these like they did in the 80’s. In fact it’s those 80’s kids that they are selling to. So how is it so hard to understand that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. All they need to do is update these products with today’s resources, and keep them as close to original as possible. That’s why, to me, MOTUC is a near perfect line, updated, but immediately recognizable to its target customer. Near perfect, in that the only way in my opinion they could have been better would have been to have the original packaging, red, exploding, what made us stop and sit in that toy aisle forever. Which happens to be one of my biggest complaints with Classified, the boring packaging. I know it’s designed to resemble Black Series, but I think the 40th anniversary packaging of the black series was some of the best looking packages figures out there. Along with Super7’s MOTUC ultimates for the same reasons. Not including the incredible card art, the red, white and blue jumping out at you, is an incredible mistake in my opinion. These are the things that immediately draw me back to my childhood, and the reason I still by these things. I’m in agreement with everyone on here who has said these needed to be ARAH design, with slight upgrades, but I still think these nostalgia things matter. Maybe just me.

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by batz75 View Post
    I guess I’m just confused as to who these companies are gearing these toys towards. I feel like at this point they have to realize that kids aren’t walking into stores and buying these like they did in the 80’s. In fact it’s those 80’s kids that they are selling to. So how is it so hard to understand that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. All they need to do is update these products with today’s resources, and keep them as close to original as possible. That’s why, to me, MOTUC is a near perfect line, updated, but immediately recognizable to its target customer. Near perfect, in that the only way in my opinion they could have been better would have been to have the original packaging, red, exploding, what made us stop and sit in that toy aisle forever. Which happens to be one of my biggest complaints with Classified, the boring packaging. I know it’s designed to resemble Black Series, but I think the 40th anniversary packaging of the black series was some of the best looking packages figures out there. Along with Super7’s MOTUC ultimates for the same reasons. Not including the incredible card art, the red, white and blue jumping out at you, is an incredible mistake in my opinion. These are the things that immediately draw me back to my childhood, and the reason I still by these things. I’m in agreement with everyone on here who has said these needed to be ARAH design, with slight upgrades, but I still think these nostalgia things matter. Maybe just me.
    Not just you. Great post. 100% how I feel too.

The problem isn't that they know most of the people who buys these are adults, it's the fact they keep hoping that one day one of these lines will attract teens or kids.

Simple fact of the matter is they are trying to get themselves a source of money for tomorrow. Once most of us are gone, who buys the toys they put out?

For the color palette on Scarlett I do wish they had gone with just the yellow or gold, the gold probably would have been a bit more muted. However I think they could have reused the yellowish tone they used on Duke's shirt. I have a feeling they added in the gold to bring back the yellow.

I haven't seen the edits people have posted, haven't looked too hard.

I did see someone say they wish they had put a bit more paint into her hair, which probably got less paint because of all the paint hits in her boots.

Some are saying the vest on road block might be intended to be removed, if that is so and they have a paint shirt on underneath you more or less have his original appearance in the line. That could be why his shirt isn't sleeved like it was in the original v2 figure.

I do like them, I just felt they could have been done better.

And don't compare them to fortnite, compare them to Overwatch. Fortnite are just off the wall zany designs that oven have no real aesthetic. These do have a uniform design choice behind them. Overwatch are the neo designs done to show off higher resolutions for video games so you feel the need to buy new hardware.

The more I see of Duke the more I like him. It's just a real bummer he doesn't come with the helmet. I am also concerned that if I buy Duke that Hasbro will release another in more ARAH-like colors. Hmmm. Ah, dang, I'll buy him! So, for now, it's just Duke and Snake Eyes. If Hasbro does a re-release of Roadblock and Scarlet in more ARAH-like colors but with same sculpts, then I'll buy them. But I'll take the risk and hold off for now.

These weird sci-fi designs fit Cobra better than the Joes, so perhaps the Cobra figures will look better. Here's hoping that Destro looks good!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    Hasbro has had an odd relationship with the GI Joe franchise for a good long time now. They've come to fear the pro-war propaganda of the franchise, and they've always just kinda moved away from the military aspect to the more fantastical "laser gun and ninjas" dynamic of it. These new designs looks like they're still clinging on to the fear of Joe's being overtly violent toys that adults will complain about. But like said here, and at least said once in every other forum conversation, the adults are the ones that are going to buy these dam toys at collector's prices who want the war aspect to be maintained...

I'll support these for now in the hopes that future releases will bring back the classic designs. But if Hasbro doesn't at least acknowledge and accept that changes should be made, then I'll eventually abandon ship.

Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post
    Hasbro has had an odd relationship with the GI Joe franchise for a good long time now. They've come to fear the pro-war propaganda of the franchise, and they've always just kinda moved away from the military aspect to the more fantastical "laser gun and ninjas" dynamic of it. These new designs looks like they're still clinging on to the fear of Joe's being overtly violent toys that adults will complain about. But like said here, and at least said once in every other forum conversation, the adults are the ones that are going to buy these dam toys at collector's prices who want the war aspect to be maintained...

I'll support these for now in the hopes that future releases will bring back the classic designs. But if Hasbro doesn't at least acknowledge and accept that changes should be made, then I'll eventually abandon ship.
    It also seems like Hasbro took out anything to do with USA for their new GI Joes: no flags, no red-white-blue colors, no US Military logos, and no wording about the USA at all. I know that GI Joe is supposed to be a multi-national military force, but it's still strange that there is no more "A Real American Hero" anymore for these characters.

Perhaps it's just their selling strategy to appeal to customers from other countries. But you are right that there seems to be a hesitation to represent US military. These are GI Joe characters, they are meant to be militaristic!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Warrior
    We were all obviously corrupted and tarnished by buying military-themed action figures, right?

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    I guess I¬’m just confused as to who these companies are gearing these toys towards. I feel like at this point they have to realize that kids aren¬’t walking into stores and buying these like they did in the 80¬’s. In fact it¬’s those 80¬’s kids that they are selling to. So how is it so hard to understand that if it ain¬’t broke, don¬’t fix it. All they need to do is update these products with today¬’s resources, and keep them as close to original as possible. That¬’s why, to me, MOTUC is a near perfect line, updated, but immediately recognizable to its target customer. Near perfect, in that the only way in my opinion they could have been better would have been to have the original packaging, red, exploding, what made us stop and sit in that toy aisle forever. Which happens to be one of my biggest complaints with Classified, the boring packaging. I know it¬’s designed to resemble Black Series, but I think the 40th anniversary packaging of the black series was some of the best looking packages figures out there. Along with Super7¬’s MOTUC ultimates for the same reasons. Not including the incredible card art, the red, white and blue jumping out at you, is an incredible mistake in my opinion. These are the things that immediately draw me back to my childhood, and the reason I still by these things. I¬’m in agreement with everyone on here who has said these needed to be ARAH design, with slight upgrades, but I still think these nostalgia things matter. Maybe just me.
    I saw these figures this weekend and this was pretty much my exact thought. Who are these for? If they think kids/teens are going to care about G.I. Joe without some driving force behind them in media, they're delusional. If they're for the people who grew up with ARAH, why do anything other than ARAH? Heck, I'd even be okay with a realistic, modern military makeover based on the original aesthetics; I've seen some cool takes from customizers in that regard. What we have here seems to be a hail mary to appeal to a middle ground that only exists in Hasbro's imagination.

Had I only seen these figures from the waist up, I probably would have been a little more favorable. Unfortunately it's a trainwreck from the waist down across the board. Is it just me, or does Snake Eyes have gray pants for some reason? What is the purpose of this? Not only is it baffling to me to do basic Snake Eyes in anything other than all black, but this particular looks isn't even appealing. The shades are just different enough that it's jarring. Duke is probably the closest to right, but it seems that they picked the most soul sucking, bland shade of green pants imaginable... then threw some Iron Man bits on to Poochie him up a bit. Roadblock suffers a little from the Iron Man bits as well, but probably would look ok if not for the fact that his face looks nothing like Roadblock. Scarlett...oh dear. She's like a Voltron of everyone else's problems combined into one giant super-problem: pants that mismatch everything else AND are a soul sucking color, with wildly gaudy Iron Man armor that's in the process of enveloping her completely. I've seen a lot of people complain about her face; it's not the best in my opinion, but I probably could have lived with it if the rest of the figure hadn't been such a mess.

And I'm not one of those Joe fans that's an expert on weapons, but what the heck is going on with these weapons? Is that supposed to be a rail gun that Roadblock has? Is that supposed to be some kind energy blaster that Duke has?
    Last edited by Sword2Blanket; February 24, 2020 at 05:22pm.

Dang. Another re-interpretation. Barely resembles the character.

- - - Updated - - -

The same reason why people like MOTUC and Star Wars Black Series. It's the vintage design with more articulation and detail in a bigger scale.
    There is nothing wrong with wanting this, unless you are against Black Series and MOTUC as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Would you feel safe wagering money on that?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I see it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Looks like scheisse. I want Sunbow-accurate Joes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Creedog View Post
    My ultimate toy collecting goal is to have 100% screen accurate, amazing toy representations of my favorite characters from my top 10 favorite 80ís cartoons. Period. These arenít that.

Attachment 122195

- - - Updated - - -

Thatís kind of how I feel. Iíve wanted a 6Ē or 7Ē ARAH joe line for so long, I may just have to make this line work as-is, customizing and painting every release.

But who knows? Maybe the eventual repaints and con exclusives will get closer to what I really want.
    These 20 dollar unclassicized figures will certainly sell well with the children!
    How cool would it have been if they had modeled these off the vintage card art?
    Table for four fellas, Iím with these guys.

Joe was my favorite line growing up. Iím cool with SE but the rest are too Fortnite for me. Hope the kids love them. Most adult collectors want ARAH. I think I may have to pass on these.

EXACTLY!!