Page 5 of 59 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: G.I. Joe Classified 6" Line By Hasbro

The Fwoosh has a reaction article to these figures:

http://thefwoosh.com/2020/02/toy-fai...eds-reactions/

I agree with every point he makes, except the fact I cannot financially support all these figures. He states he will buy them in the hopes that their success will bring repaints that more closely align with the ARAH designs. I don't that kind of disposable cash.

I laughed out loud when he said these characters have a fear of getting kicked in the shins! LOL
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by Creedog View Post
    My ultimate toy collecting goal is to have 100% screen accurate, amazing toy representations of my favorite characters from my top 10 favorite 80’s cartoons. Period. These aren’t that.

Attachment 122195

- - - Updated - - -

That’s kind of how I feel. I’ve wanted a 6” or 7” ARAH joe line for so long, I may just have to make this line work as-is, customizing and painting every release.

But who knows? Maybe the eventual repaints and con exclusives will get closer to what I really want.
    That is one fine collection sir.

I have this 6 inches Snake Eyes, no paint app and just a scaled up 25th G.I.Joe version but for some reason, this seems to "get it" than this Classified new line (those Marvel Legends inspires or reused parts, weapons and armor makes them look like superheroes which they are not).

Note that this does not scale well with MOTUC but nicely scales with MAFEX and DCUC

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by motogp_fanatic; February 24, 2020 at 10:02pm.
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    The Fwoosh has a reaction article to these figures:

http://thefwoosh.com/2020/02/toy-fai...eds-reactions/

I agree with every point he makes, except the fact I cannot financially support all these figures. He states he will buy them in the hopes that their success will bring repaints that more closely align with the ARAH designs. I don't that kind of disposable cash.

I laughed out loud when he said these characters have a fear of getting kicked in the shins! LOL
    Scarlett does make sense to have shin guards at least. But you can probably tell where I stand in regards to what he says, especially since he doesn't like the fortnite claims by some.

I wonder if these designs are or WERE for a video game.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post

I wonder if these designs are or WERE for a video game.
    I’m not sure if the designs were intended for a video game or to lure fans of modern games to pick up the line.

The updated designs are incredibly uninspired and awful...

What have they done to my Scarlett?!?

An upscaled ARAH line would have knocked it outta the park... now? It seems doomed before it has even started - according to much of the fan reaction I've read.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Aside from the Snake Eyes exclusive (why couldn't the line have THAT aesthetic?!!) and most of Duke, I'm not a fan of these redesigns.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

All toylines get re-designs every so often. MotU had NA, 200x, and the 1987 movie. Transformers had G2, Animated, the Bay movies, CHUG, and more. GI Joe had Sigma 6, the live-action movies, Resolute, and more. But the success of these designs seemed to rely on how much they stayed true to the original versus how much they were updated. You could almost make an equation about it: Success of designs = original / new. Inversely proportional to new designs makes sense, as the more you stray too far from the original it becomes "that thing in name only."
    It's also interesting that both Transformers and MotU seemed to going back to the original designs more and more. Transformers calls them the "Evergreen" designs.
    Here's my point: these new Joe designs for 6-inch makes no sense whatsoever. Almost all 6-inch high-end figures are targeted towards adult collectors: MotU Classics, Black Series, Marvel Legends, etc. Because of that, most successful 6-inch figures stay very true to original designs. So, why would Hasbro, which creates their successful Marvel Legends and Black Series and also the adult-targeted Transformers WFC line, and can see the success of Classics , why would they over-design these 6-inch Joes? Who are they targeting?

Why would they over-design the classics ARAH Joe look now? This is not a good start for this re-launch.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

It's the question we are all asking, the only thing we can think of is there is some tie in media intended to come out.

While yes the easy answer is they are just trying to get new customers from a younger demographic, but they aren't doing this with other lines. Granted Star Wars and Marvel Legends are licensed properties.

Now for the comparison to work better though we can look at how the MCU has chosen to (re)design the live action versions of many of the characters. you have to agree that while you may prefer the comic look or a specific comic look, they retained enough familiarity that you didn't need to be told who they were (most... most cases).

That said I would be curious how well the Overwatch figures have done for hasbro and if that played some influence on this decision.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    Worth mentioning, Big Bad Toy Store has the line up for pre-order and they have it listed as a set of 5 with Scarlett, Duke, Roadblock and two "surprise figures" so it seems there will be two more characters in the initial wave that haven't been revealed yet.
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Of_Destruction View Post
    Worth mentioning, Big Bad Toy Store has the line up for pre-order and they have it listed as a set of 5 with Scarlett, Duke, Roadblock and two "surprise figures" so it seems there will be two more characters in the initial wave that haven't been revealed yet.
    If you look at the character poster sheet, you can assume the other two will be Snake Eyes and (take your pick) either Baroness, Cobra Commander, Gung Ho, Destro, an Alley Viper, or some red ninja (who's name I can't remember atm).

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    That is one fine collection sir.

I have this 6 inches Snake Eyes, no paint app and just a scaled up 25th G.I.Joe version but for some reason, this seems to "get it" than this Classified Line
    Thanks man! And I totally agree, I would have been all in on something a simple as an upscaled 25th line. That leads me to believe that this line is not targeted at me, at least not directly.

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    It's also interesting that both Transformers and MotU seemed to going back to the original designs more and more. Transformers calls them the "Evergreen" designs.
    Here's my point: these new Joe designs for 6-inch makes no sense whatsoever. Almost all 6-inch high-end figures are targeted towards adult collectors: MotU Classics, Black Series, Marvel Legends, etc. Because of that, most successful 6-inch figures stay very true to original designs. So, why would Hasbro, which creates their successful Marvel Legends and Black Series and also the adult-targeted Transformers WFC line, and can see the success of Classics , why would they over-design these 6-inch Joes? Who are they targeting?
    That is pretty funny, when you think about it. Transformers made its big comeback with Beast Wars, it’s furthest departure from g1. It then slowly but surely evolved back into g1, excluding the bayformer series. The current mainstream retail transformers line is Earthrise, which couldn’t be more G1. The masterpiece line started as homages to the original toy line, but eventually evolved into g1 cartoon accurate figures.

He-man went NA -> 200x -> MOTUC CC -> MOTUC CG, pretty much the same pattern.

NECA has the original cartoon accurate TMNT line and it’s selling like crazy.

I wish Hasbro would have just targeted us with the classified line. But they really seem to think they can rope in the kids. I wish them all the luck in the world. Despite my doubts in their strategy, I really hope the line is successful. It’s probably the only path to getting the toys I actually want.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post
    If you look at the character poster sheet, you can assume the other two will be Snake Eyes and (take your pick) either Baroness, Cobra Commander, Gung Ho, Destro, an Alley Viper, or some red ninja (who's name I can't remember atm).
    The rumor over at hisstank is that figures 4&5 from wave 1 are currently planned to be snake eyes and Destro, but that could change leading up to the June release.

Hasbro know people will buy their products no matter what. If they do ARAH designs they will leave it for a while or space them out in the different waves like their various other lines.
    They made several Captain Americas in defferent costumes before doing the iconic classic look..and pretty much the same with lots of other characters.
    The first waves of Star Wars Black Series had the characters in not their most popular outfits from the movies.
    As for Transformers they know what people want them too look like and a lot of the time they revise the figures because they know people will still buy them as they are more G1.
    I like what Hasbro have shown with the G.I. Joe so far and will buy them but I do hope they also make ARAH designs. My only real complaint with them is I am not super keen on is the weapons. I prefer the look of more realistic weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I like what Hasbro have shown with the G.I. Joe so far and will buy them but I do hope they also make ARAH designs. My only real complaint with them is I am not super keen on is the weapons. I prefer the look of more realistic weapons.
    The weapons are probably the biggest departure from ARAH, I’m not a big fan of them either. The ironic part is that all those realistic military weapons actually shot laser beams on the ARAH TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by Creedog View Post
    The weapons are probably the biggest departure from ARAH, I’m not a big fan of them either. The ironic part is that all those realistic military weapons actually shot laser beams on the ARAH TV show.
    Renegades and Sigma 6 also had some quite futuristic weapons. Having said that even the standard 3.75" figures in the late 80's had some pretty sci-fi looking weapons.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    And Joe fans will somehow support this no matter what to strenghten the franchise. That is why I might get a couple
    Buy it no matter what. Always a good philosophy in life.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    An American tradition. Yo Joe!

I guess we have to see how this line will fare.Again Snake Eyes I might get, will I be impressed by Zartan or Storm Shadow? I just cannot see myself going into this line. There is a certain charm on the 3-3/4 scale that I'm drawn into. Again happy for those we wanted this.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

The excitement of the 6" Joes has worn off quite a bit.
    After studying the designs of the figures more I really do hope they revise the designs on all of the figures.
    Snake Eyes is the best of the bunch but looking more like the oriignal toy or cartoon/comic etc would be better.
    Especially for Duke, Scarlett and Roadblock. They are a bit silly looking and would be better if they were more realistic.
    The weird sci-fi guns and gold armour are odd looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    The excitement of the 6" Joes has worn off quite a bit.
    After studying the designs of the figures more I really do hope they revise the designs on all of the figures.
    Snake Eyes is the best of the bunch but looking more like the oriignal toy or cartoon/comic etc would be better.
    Especially for Duke, Scarlett and Roadblock. They are a bit silly looking and would be better if they were more realistic.
    The weird sci-fi guns and gold armour are odd looking.
    Agreed, 100%

No way, I'm buying figures that I don't want and waste money on with the hopes that something MAY come out that most of us want.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by banthafett View Post
    No way, I'm buying figures that I don't want and waste money on with the hopes that something MAY come out that most of us want.
    It would be completely idiotic and stupid to do so. And it would be even more short-sighted, ignorant, and a sheer display of a lack of accountability for Hasbro to then say "G.I. Joe just doesn't sell" when they made these figures over what their demographic who buy 20.00 action figures actually want.

It would be completely idiotic and stupid to do so. And it would be even more short-sighted, ignorant, and a sheer display of a lack of accountability for Hasbro to then say "G.I. Joe just doesn't sell" when they made these figures over what their demographic who buy 20.00 action figures actually want.
    Ironically the Jazwares Fortnite 6" Havoc is pretty much a perfect 6" version of ARAH Firefly. It's a shame Jazwares couldn't make other Joe inspired characters.

I must be the odd man out because I kinda like the 6-inch Joe designs. I'm probably not going to get them, since my space is limited, but I do like them.

It probably stems from the fact that I didn't own many of the original toys and wasn't much of a Joe fan back in the day. (My dad was in the Air Force. As my mom once said, "We were living GI Joe.")

Now a new MASK line, on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Dinobot View Post
    I must be the odd man out because I kinda like the 6-inch Joe designs. I'm probably not going to get them, since my space is limited, but I do like them.

It probably stems from the fact that I didn't own many of the original toys and wasn't much of a Joe fan back in the day. (My dad was in the Air Force. As my mom once said, "We were living GI Joe.")

Now a new MASK line, on the other hand...
    Im literally the opposite, I don’t really like them, but will probably pick them up when I see them in the wild.

100% agree about MASK though, I need Hasbro to rediscover this IP.

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    That last GIJoe line (25th anniv.??) released a Matt Trakker figure in it, and it would be great it Hasbro (let alone other company properties) would do the same. This line would be awesome if like a Spike Witwicky was released as some sort of exclusive figure, or even a Miles Mayhem would be cool. It doesn't have to be a full blown dedication to those ip's, but seeing crossover characters pop up every now and then would be awesome (like if Thundercats or He-Man finally released a Silverhawk crossover figure).