Thread: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from NECA

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from NECA

Guys, I'm creating a new TMNT thread for NECA, to keep the NECA stuff out of the Super7 thread.

NECA has 3 different lines going:

1. TMNT Arcade / Turtles in Time 7" Scale Line

NECA initially started here, offering the SDCC 2016 TMNT Arcade Exclusive:

And NECA is now offering individual sales of newer waves:

2. TMNT 1990 Movie 1/4 Scale and 7" Lines

NECA has 2 different "1990 Movie" lines, with some releases online, some GameStop, and some SDCC exclusives

3. TMNT 1987 Cartoon 7" Scale Line

The line originally began as the SDCC 2017 exclusive.

The line subsequently became a Target exclusive, and released wave 1 in early 2019:

Wave 2, featuring the highly sought after Bebop and Rocksteady, was released in late 2019:

https://www.target.com/p/tmnt-michel...k/-/A-77594635
    https://www.target.com/p/tmnt-leonar...k/-/A-77594619
    https://www.target.com/p/tmnt-foot-s...e/-/A-77594631
    https://www.target.com/p/teenage-mut...k/-/A-77594632

Wave 3 will be released in spring/summer of 2020, and features these figures:

NECA has also teased "Deluxe" class releases such as:

Krang Android Body

Metalhead

Ultimate Foot Soldier

Last edited by Creedog; January 16, 2020 at 11:57am.

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    Good thread. Might I suggest putting in the links to Target's webstore for each piece? I only know the url's for wave 2 atm (I tried looking for wave 3 links, but nothing came up for me)

https://www.target.com/p/tmnt-michel...k/-/A-77594635

https://www.target.com/p/tmnt-leonar...k/-/A-77594619

https://www.target.com/p/tmnt-foot-s...e/-/A-77594631

https://www.target.com/p/teenage-mut...k/-/A-77594632

Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post
    Good thread. Might I suggest putting in the links to Target's webstore for each piece? I only know the url's for wave 2 atm (I tried looking for wave 3 links, but nothing came up for me)
    Thanks for the idea, I added the links!

- - - Updated - - -

So, I created a custom helmet for NECA's Rocksteady, so that he would look more like his season 1 appearance. These two guys were my favorite toy purchases of the year, and I really want to jazz them up a bit.

Pretty sweet, eh?

I'm offering the helmet on Etsy for anyone who wants one. I don't want to post a direct link in case that violates He-man.org's rules. But the link is in my signature / profile.

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Nice job on that helmet! I'll have to order one once I actually get Rocksteady and Bebop. I found the rest of the latest wave at Target (they had several sets of the Turtles and one of the Foot Soldiers when I got there).

I do have Rocksteady & Bebop and another set of Foot Soldiers preordered from Zavvi, which is based in the UK. It cost a bit more than buying them from Target, but they were easy to preorder and still cheaper than ebay. If I happen to find them in a store before the preorder ships, then I'll just cancel it.

I’m not a massive turtles fan but for what I want I’ll be picking neca over super 7, I have bebop and rocksteady on order and also leatherhead and slash and I just happened to get a movie leonardo in the post today, I don’t really want any turtles but he was cheap on ebay and he’s a nice enough figure.

I love my Neca movie figures (I only have the four turtles). I don't know that I'll get any more from that series, though Splinter and Shredder are tempting.

As for the animated and video game styles, I'm passing. I'm really more excited about Super7's stuff.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

I've got the Turtles In Time figures on pre-order, but I'm still sad that there has been no Splinter reveal!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I've got the Turtles In Time figures on pre-order, but I'm still sad that there has been no Splinter reveal!
    I’m shocked that they still haven’t even teased Splinter yet. He has to be next up on their list. They already released movie Splinter.

Quote Originally Posted by Creedog View Post
    I’m shocked that they still haven’t even teased Splinter yet. He has to be next up on their list. They already released movie Splinter.
    Two versions of movie Splinter even!

I'm sure Neca has something in the works.... I'm thinking a Rat King / Splinter 2-Pack.

It's like going to a strip bar...you can't blow your entire wad of money on the first dancer you see. You got to have patience.

Here are some pictures of Neca's TMNT: Turtles in Time wave 2.

Looking good!

I'm a sucker for these video game inspired Turtles! Even though the main quartet are just re-releases, I will gladly pick them all up again!

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm getting the arcade Turtles again, mostly because of the surf boards that they come with.

I like the fact that I can easily preorder these from a store like BBTS. I wish all of NECA's TMNT releases would be sold that way!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Yeah, I'm getting the arcade Turtles again, mostly because of the surf boards that they come with.

I like the fact that I can easily preorder these from a store like BBTS. I wish all of NECA's TMNT releases would be sold that way!
    I wish they did too. But Neca will make more $$ from putting these in targets vs online / boutique stores only.

If only target would allow them to be in targets AND online / boutique ...

I wish they did too. But Neca will make more $$ from putting these in targets vs online / boutique stores only.

If only target would allow them to be in targets AND online / boutique ...
    It's not Neca or Target, it's Nickelodeon and Playmates that's screwing everything up. Neca can't sell the "toon" line unless it's a store exclusive cause Playmates feels it's infringing on their license to do "toon" turtles. Yes, I understand the Neca line is based on the old Wolf toon and catering to a completely different fanbase than the Playmates' line but Playmates doesn't see it that way. If Neca could release them like the video game figures they would. Neca can release the toon line overseas as a wide release cause of a clause in Playmates' license.

The video game line is completely different. Playmates has no Video game license for TMNT so Neca has no restrictions for that line. Neca is continuing to try to convince Nick and Playmates to let the Wolf line get a wide release, or even an online release, but Playmates continues to block them. The only way Neca will be able to get them out of Target stores is if Playmates loses the license which isn't going to happen.

Yeah, the Sewer Surfin' boards are cool!

I hope that Neca releases a set of Neon Night Rider boards as well... I actually prefer those versions!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    It's not Neca or Target, it's Nickelodeon and Playmates that's screwing everything up. Neca can't sell the "toon" line unless it's a store exclusive cause Playmates feels it's infringing on their license to do "toon" turtles. Yes, I understand the Neca line is based on the old Wolf toon and catering to a completely different fanbase than the Playmates' line but Playmates doesn't see it that way. If Neca could release them like the video game figures they would. Neca can release the toon line overseas as a wide release cause of a clause in Playmates' license.

The video game line is completely different. Playmates has no Video game license for TMNT so Neca has no restrictions for that line. Neca is continuing to try to convince Nick and Playmates to let the Wolf line get a wide release, or even an online release, but Playmates continues to block them. The only way Neca will be able to get them out of Target stores is if Playmates loses the license which isn't going to happen.
    You’re stating as fact that Playmates won’t allow neca to sell cartoon turtles online? That’s BS.

I don’t have proof either, but it’s Target who signed the exclusivity agreement with neca, not playmates. And in the end, Playmates toy licensing deal with Nickelodeon may affect NECA’s licensing deal with Nickelodeon and Target, but they don’t dictate it.

Playmates just doesn’t want other turtle collectibles in the toy aisles at the big stores, nor less than $50. Playmates would prefer they weren’t in Targets at all, but they don’t care about online. Otherwise neca wouldn’t be selling the toon turtles on so many European / Asian toy vendor websites.
    Last edited by Creedog; January 30, 2020 at 12:44pm.

You’re stating as fact that Playmates won’t allow neca to sell cartoon turtles online? That’s BS.
    They can sell them on Target's site but not on online stores like BBTS or Entertainment Earth.

I don’t have proof either, but it’s Target who signed the exclusivity agreement with neca, not playmates.
    I never said they did. You're just making up assumptions out of nothing. Neca had to sign a deal with Target or the figures couldn't get a wide release due to Playmates' license. They would have had to limit the toon figures to just SDCC releases without any kind of exclusive retailer like Target. Same thing with the 6 in movie figures. This was mentioned way back in 2017 when the toon 8 pack was first released. Neca said from the beginning that the only way they could do the toon figures was as SDCC exclusives due to the Playmates licensing deal with Nick. Then after the success of the SDCC pack, they went back to Nick and came up with the "exclusive retailer" loophole so they could get the toon figures out.

And in the end, Playmates toy licensing deal with Nickelodeon may affect NECA’s licensing deal with Nickelodeon and Target, but they don’t dictate it.

Playmates just doesn’t want other turtle collectibles in the toy aisles at the big stores, nor less than $50. Playmates would prefer they weren’t in Targets at all, but they don’t care about online. Otherwise neca wouldn’t be selling the toon turtles on so many European / Asian toy vendor websites.
    Sorry you're 100% wrong whether to want to believe it or not. Neca went over this over a year ago.

Neca can sell them overseas abroad cause Playmates doesn't have exclusive rights over there unlike in the US and I believe in Canada.
    Last edited by Bonehead; January 31, 2020 at 01:53am.

Thanks for the detailed response, Bonehead.

So you are stating that NECA couldn’t sell the toon toys online, in the USA, ever, due to the Nik + Playmates deal?

That the “exclusive retailer” work around is the only way to sell toon turtles in the USA outside of convention exclusives? And that NECA couldn’t do an “exclusive retailer” deal with an online retailer like Bigbadtoystore or Entertainment Earth? Only brick and mortars like Target and GameStop?

If that were true, then why can Target sell them online? I still think it is much more likely that NECA *could* partner with BBTS (exclusively) instead of Target. But they chose Target to maximize sales. But if you have an exact quote from Randy (or someone else from NECA) that states that they couldn’t sell these online, no matter what, then I’ll absolutely agree with you. I just can’t find a quote anywhere that states that.
    Last edited by Creedog; January 31, 2020 at 12:24pm.

Are the Target figures in scale with the original NECA comic book turtles?

That Casey Jones looks close enough in style to fit into my collection.

(Also does anyone know if there is a way to get more of the original sidewalk bases? I'd love a few more for my NYCC Shredder and Foot soldiers set.)

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Are the Target figures in scale with the original NECA comic book turtles?

That Casey Jones looks close enough in style to fit into my collection.

(Also does anyone know if there is a way to get more of the original sidewalk bases? I'd love a few more for my NYCC Shredder and Foot soldiers set.)
    Yes, the Casey Jones will be in scale with the comic version of the Turtles.

If you look at the Foot Soldiers in comparison, you will have a good idea of the size... the toon Foot and the Comic Foot share the same buck (minus the head and forearms, of course.)

As for the sidewalk pieces, the only way to get them now is to hope they pop up on eBay... the connect-a-piece display was only available in the original single pack run of the TMNT and in one of the exclusive 4-packs (NYCC '08 I think.)

Looks like the restocks of Bebop and Rocksteady have started filling Target stores! Hopefully the Krang and Shredder restocks aren't far behind...
    WTB: Ultimates Teela, Beast Man, Vintage Classics He-Man Head

Thanks for the detailed response, Bonehead.
    No problem. I don't mind informing my fellow members of info that they are not well informed about.

So you are stating that NECA couldn’t sell the toon toys online, in the USA, ever, due to the Nik + Playmates deal?
    Yes. They have to be exclusives. Since they are Target exclusives they can sell them online at Target's site. For Wave one, they couldn't sell them online until Playmates OKed it.

That the “exclusive retailer” work around is the only way to sell toon turtles in the USA outside of convention exclusives? And that NECA couldn’t do an “exclusive retailer” deal with an online retailer like Bigbadtoystore or Entertainment Earth? Only brick and mortars like Target and GameStop?

If that were true, then why can Target sell them online? I still think it is much more likely that NECA *could* partner with BBTS (exclusively) instead of Target. But they chose Target to maximize sales. But if you have an exact quote from Randy (or someone else from NECA) that states that they couldn’t sell these online, no matter what, then I’ll absolutely agree with you. I just can’t find a quote anywhere that states that.
    They could have probably gone with an online retailer like BBTS or EE but Neca said they went with Target cause Target was their new B&M retailer after TRU closed in the US.

If you want more proof, Dynamo said this over in S7 thread when answering a question from Ornclown:

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post

One thing that keeps me wondering: how is it that Super 7 is allowed to make carbon-copy versions of these Playmates designs?
    Playmates must have been fine with it. They are the master license holder, and while they don't own the IP outright, this stuff can only be made with them giving the thumbs up. That's why when NECA started doing the arcade and cartoon based TMNT figures a few years ago, they were strictly convention exclusives. They've managed to get Playmates on board with having a wider reach, but it is on Playmates terms that they have to either sell through specialty retailers, or in the case of the NECA cartoon 2-packs, in order to be sold at Target, a retailer that carries regular toys including the current Playmates TMNT figures, they have to be sold in 2-packs (not individually), and they have to be sold in the collectibles area that is typically located near electronics, and cannot be in the main toy aisles.

So likewise, what Super7 can do has to be with Playmates giving the thumbs up. I think the reason why they are likely fine with this is that these figures are in the larger 7" scale, which is not a scale that Playmates really works within, so it's not really directly competing with the things that they sell. Over the years they have periodically re-issued some of the vintage TMNT figures (usually figures from the first wave or two and not going much beyond that), including the recent 4-pack of the Turtles, but with that being at a different scale, and also not their main marketing focus (they are mostly pushing the new stuff based on the current cartoons, etc.), there really isn't much of an issue there.

At one point not too long ago when Pixel Dan was interviewing Brian Flynn from Super7, Dan asked if Super7 might do figures in the vintage scale, similar to how they made some MOTU figures in the vintage MOTU style. Brian basically said that's not a direction that they are trying to go in, and that's also the scale that Playmates tends to work within. They are trying to add options to the market, not compete with what's there. So they'll be focusing on the 7" and the Reaction style figures.
    It's pretty much common knowledge that Playmates dictates what can and can't be done with TMNT. NECA has been clear from the beginning on what they can and can't do with the license due to not being the master license holder.
    Last edited by Bonehead; February 4, 2020 at 08:27pm.