Thread: MOTU Italian Magic Boy comic story translation - 'The Labyrinth of Minox'

Hexcellent Horror Hostess

MOTU Italian Magic Boy comic story translation - 'The Labyrinth of Minox'

Presenting: Masters of the Universe - 'The Labyrinth of Minox' (1987). This is a very short comic from the Italian 'Magic Boy' Magazine. Later stories in the 'Magic Boy' magazines were substantially longer, at about 10 pages, but this one is notable for featuring the only vintage appearance of Skeletor's minion, Minox! I suppose he could actually be considered a very obscure member of the Evil Warriors.

Although Minox is a super obscure character, I think he would have made a really awesome MOTU Classics figure! In fact, I included him in another character's official bio a couple of years ago. Eric and I re-imagined him as a cyborg Mintoran in the Classics canon.

Would you like to see a figure of Minox if Classics ever comes back from its Mattel-sanctioned hibernation? How about other cool-but-obscure characters?

* Italian-to-English Translations (originally done for the Dark Horse 'Character Guide' book) by the awesome Joey Cruel, Paolo Cuparo, and Filipo Panella

* Major thanks to Grimbot (aka the fastest man alive) for doing a phenomenal job on transposing the English text into the word balloons, and for restoring the pages.

* Copy editing and revisions by Penny Dreadful

PS -

How would you pronounce Minox? I've heard people say "Mine-Ox", "Mean-Ox", Min-Ox, and "Minnix".

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    I love Greek mythology and this story was a breach opened to a lot more if you ask me;
    say for example six chapters, declined as below:

(1) The creation of the beast
    (2) The monster controled by Skeletor (destruction of several kingdoms of Eternia)
    (3) The failing attempt to conquer Castle Grayskull
    (4) Chasing the beast
    (5) The trap
    (6) Final assault into the maze

This story had the potential to be its own thing, like more substantial,
    a more suitable format (25 pages) would've been neat! At least that's what my personal frustration leads me to think here.

Anyways, congratulations to you Danielle, and everyone else involved into this project,
    that's awesome.

Ps: Yes, we want a Motuc Classics Minox!
    And yes, we want all the Motu fictions edited throughout the globe to
    be published into a all new series of Dark Horse's compendiums (You guys can do it! ).
    Last edited by OnlyOneSkeletor; January 20, 2020 at 12:52pm.
    NEW ALBUM "STORIES UNTOLD" OUT NOW!
    Available on: Itunes Store / Apple Music & Amazon
    More info here: https://www.facebook.com/glenlarocheofficiel
    Listen the single "Sometimes ... Something" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZCUBWFNASk

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    How would you pronounce Minox? I've heard people say "Mine-Ox", "Mean-Ox", Min-Ox, and "Minnix".
    Great to see this translated! Thanks guys

I've always pronounce it Min-Ox.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Great to see this translated! Thanks guys

I've always pronounce it Min-Ox.
    Same. I assumed that it was a coupling of 'minotaur' and 'ox' (as in, oxen) so min-ox. Or, if he had particularly fresh breath, Mint-Ox.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

That was a rather fun read. Thanks for posting it!

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    Same. I assumed that it was a coupling of 'minotaur' and 'ox' (as in, oxen) so min-ox. Or, if he had particularly fresh breath, Mint-Ox.
    Mint-Ox... the freshmaker!

I have to admit-- as thrilled and as excited as I am to recieve a translation of this noteworthy story-- come on. THREE pages?? [^D

I'm afraid that Minox (pronounced "Mine-Ox", obviously) has been built up a bit in my fertile imagination. But that's really no one's fault but my own. :^) Not that I still wouldn't leap at the chance for a Masters Classics Minox figure, mind You. Very cute and clever how the adventure (?) led right in to an activity maze. Is this characteristic of how Magic Boy Magazine did things? To say nothing of the strong language within (for U.S.-type youth readers, anyway). I admit, I know next to nothing about the source material.

Thanks so much to everyone who had a hand in bringing this story to us plebian non-European readers!
    Last edited by Snake_Man; January 25, 2020 at 02:28pm.
    "Listen Closely-- This is the TRUTH, No mere Myth!"

Quote Originally Posted by Snake_Man View Post
    Very cute and clever how the adventure (?) led right in to an activity maze. Is this characteristic of how Magic Boy Magazine did things?
    Only the first couple were like this. The one with Woock was also pretty short and involved a puzzle. Subsequent Magic Boy stories were straight-up stories (no puzzles) and were about 10 pages long apiece. Later on, in the final New Adventures stories for Magic Boy, the tales became a bit more mature and the artwork became very detailed, and sometimes pretty trippy too!

artwork by Francesco Pedicini

Quote Originally Posted by L0rdGr1ml0ck View Post
    Did Michael Gotze draw this?
    I'm not sure on this one. The earlier stories didn't have credits for the artists and writers. Partway through the run, they did eventually start crediting the writers and artists in these comics.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; January 26, 2020 at 07:53pm.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Later on, in the final New Adventures stories for Magic Boy, the tales became a bit more mature and the artwork became very detailed, and sometimes pretty trippy too!
    Wow! I won't unsee that frog-on-frog ​"GLURB" sequence any time soon! Thanks for sharing! :^)
    "Listen Closely-- This is the TRUTH, No mere Myth!"

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Great work!
    Did Michael Gotze draw this?
    It really looks like his style. Especially on He-Man's face and certain poses he makes.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Widget
    Big Thanks to all ionvolved for translating this comic - always great to read 'new' vintage stuff.
    Have to say Minox's design is pretty uninsipired, he just looks like a standard minotaur!

Except those horns are metal that shoot electric bolts!

Virginia, United States of America, but mostly in the Hidden Land of Avalon
    Only the first couple were like this. The one with Woock was also pretty short and involved a puzzle. Subsequent Magic Boy stories were straight-up stories (no puzzles) and were about 10 pages long apiece. Later on, in the final New Adventures stories for Magic Boy, the tales became a bit more mature and the artwork became very detailed, and sometimes pretty trippy too!

https://i.imgur.com/uFpwguF.jpg
    artwork by Francesco Pedicini

I'm not sure on this one. The earlier stories didn't have credits for the artists and writers. Partway through the run, they did eventually start crediting the writers and artists in these comics.
    Penny are you posting these in the main .org archives? If so where? Please and thank you. Hope we get these collected like the newspaper comics one day.

need help selling some items. look for my listing misc marketplace forum. important details in thread
    I need help selling some items. look for my listing in the Miscellaneous Marketplace Forum. Important details in thread

I collect MOTU/POP, Transformers, Garfield the Cat, & 80's/90's Book & Tape/Record Sets. I collect VHS & DVD of 80's-00's properties and comics. My YouTube Channel titled: Feb Mon
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCr-M2kh33ALM2nEzcKZKNKQ

Court Magician
    Only the first couple were like this. The one with Woock was also pretty short and involved a puzzle. Subsequent Magic Boy stories were straight-up stories (no puzzles) and were about 10 pages long apiece.
    At the time, I only got a handful of those Magic Boy comics, and unfortunately they went lost (I managed to preserve the Mondadori ones).
    I remember that there was an interest continuity effort, with the writer apparently trying to merge minicomics and cartoon and toys. I have this memory of Teela receiving her snake armor from Zoar, and saying "I have already used these", with Zoar replying "You didn't know their real power". I was intrigued by the notion of making everything fit.

So... at what point is this coming out in a Dark Horse book?

(Hey, a man can hope!)
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Quote Originally Posted by griffen112182 View Post
    Penny are you posting these in the main .org archives? If so where? Please and thank you.
    If you look in the Publishing section on the Org, MANY of these comics are already there, in the original languages. Eventually, I intend to upload the ones I have that aren't already archived.

For now, I'm focusing on posting English translations from selected issues of Magic Boy (Italy), Più (Italy), Estrela (Brazil), and Editora Abril (Brazil).

I'd also love to get some English-language translations done for the German Interpart-Condor and Ehapa comics, but I don't currently have any word-for-word translations of those.

I can translate the Portuguese from the Brazilian ones myself, and I have translations of the Italian ones to work from, but I would need someone to do the heavy lifting on any of the German materials.

At the time, I only got a handful of those Magic Boy comics, and unfortunately they went lost (I managed to preserve the Mondadori ones).
    I remember that there was an interest continuity effort, with the writer apparently trying to merge minicomics and cartoon and toys. I have this memory of Teela receiving her snake armor from Zoar, and saying "I have already used these", with Zoar replying "You didn't know their real power". I was intrigued by the notion of making everything fit.
    That's awesome! I wonder if the Teela story you're referencing came from the Italian Più comics. Those are all original stories, released weekly as part of the Più magazine. There are a TON of those, although each story is only about 5 pages long. I still haven't tracked them all down, but have managed to score a whole bunch of scans with help from JoeyCruel.

Almost all of the Mondadori comics were translations of the German Interpart-Condor comics, along with a couple of re-do's of MOTU minicomics The Obelisk and Masks of Power. I saw some fans in one of the Italian fan groups asking why Mondadori entries weren't included in the Dark Horse MOTU Character Guide & World Compendium, but technically they ARE mostly in there. It's just that those entries are under the original German Interpart-Condor canon designation. I did run acress one Mondadori recently that does appear to be an all-new, original story though, and I'd like to get that one translated.

The Italian Magic Boy stories were original tales, and many of them were pretty awesome! In fact, several Magic Boy comics (among others) were translated into German for the Bastei comics! I also saw some fans in German fan groups asking about why Bastei wasn't in the Character Guide. We always went with the SOURCE for the stories, and Bastei were German translations of comics which originated in publications from Italy and the UK. Thus, those are definitely in the Character Guide, but they appear under their original canon designations. Whoah, that was a massive digression. Sorry. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko
    So... at what point is this coming out in a Dark Horse book?
    I would love it if we could do books of all the officially licensed comics from the US, UK, Germany, Italy, and Brazil! That'd actually be a lot of books! There are also some very crazy Chinese comics, but I am 99.99999% sure those are not officially licensed stories.

Image courtesy of Stagnataur

Last edited by Penny Dreadful; January 31, 2020 at 02:26pm.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Court Magician
    That's awesome! I wonder if the Teela story you're referencing came from the Italian Più comics.
    Why, you are perfectly right, of course. It was Più!

Thanks for the translation! And YES we would love hardcover collections of all the MOTU stories from around the world in English! Please Dark Horse, get on this!

https://i.imgur.com/409z7Az.jpg
    Zodac, Cringer, Orko and Plundor riding around in a 59 Aston Martin? YES PLEASE!!!!
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.