Thread: Chat about MOTU on Discord?

Chat about MOTU on Discord?

Hey folks,

A couple of months back a bunch of people on the forums were clammering for the return of the "chat box" plug-in for vBulletin on the forums, the admins managed to get it up and working again but I've noticed that very few people are actively participating, despite there seemingly being quite some interest at the time.

Part of the reason for that I feel is that a lot of people these days are using their tablets or phones to browse forums and unfortunately (at least for me as an iOS user) the chat function does not seem compatible. I am assuming that's the case for many of you who would otherwise be active on the chat.

At the time I suggested the use of Discord, something many of you probably haven't even heard of.

What is Discord?

Well, to put it quite simply, it's a bit of an amalgamation of different things. It's a bit compareable to Messenger, Whatsapp or Line, which some of you may be familiar with, as it's an instant messaging platform that can be accessed both in app form on your phone or tablet but also in-browser on your desktop.

Where it differs a lot to those platforms however is that you have complete anonimity, much like on a forum you select a nickname. Unlike Whatsapp for example where everyone would see your phone number or Facebook where everyone would see your real name. So it's a lot more like old school chatrooms or forums in that sense.

Another big point of difference is that Discord doesn't work with groups like how these other platforms work, Discord works with severs just like how old chat platforms. And like those you have different 'rooms' within those server, much like you have different sections/categories on a forum.

The big difference from forums is obviously that Discord is an instant messenging server/chat application rather than just "posting" like on a forum or Twitter.

A few more notes, you do NOT need to install an app, on desktop you can just go to discordapp.com and in the top right you'll see a button "chat", you'll have to register obviously but that will give you access to the browser version of the platform (I prefer to use this over the app whenever I'm on my PC).

As for those of you who don't mind downloading an app, just look for "Discord" in the Apple or Googly Play stores and download.

So do you want to join the "MASTERS TALK" server? I've created it a few days ago and right now it's just me and one other Eternian from Facebook, so come keep us company and be social!

I created channels for some of the major podcasts such as Roast Gooble Dinner, Masters Cast, Fans of Power, BattleCast, Council of the Firsts ones, etc. for people to discuss their shows! Aswell as a Toy section, media section and comic section! Again, it's basically like a forum only in instant messaging form!

I hope to see many of you on there, below is the invite link to the server which is open to anyone!

JOIN 'MASTERS TALK' ON DISCORD!

Joined, but if anyone have any issues about Discord on registering or trying to get the link of the chatroom? Let me and Razzerian know. We'll keep an eye on you. Me the tech guy and Discord admin Razzerian can assist you on anything on Discord's side.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Signed up! Been waiting on a proper chat to return for a long time!
    Creator of the New Adventures Watching Club, come join us! Click here!

"The meat was gamey, the potatoes were lumpy, and this coffee tastes like it was strained through someones urethra." - Dean Stephan

Quote Originally Posted by HordakQuack View Post
    Signed up! Been waiting on a proper chat to return for a long time!
    Great to have you on there! Hopefully some more folks will follow your lead and give Discord a chance!

I believe if the Mods agree to pin this thread to attract chatters that would be great.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Give it a try folks!
    Join MASTERS TALK on Discord!