Thread: Star Trek: Picard

Star Trek: Picard

I'm a huge Star Trek fan. I watched The Next Generation when it was on the air and was really looking forward to this new Star Trek: Picard show, but had a lot of concern. I thought that Star Trek Discovery, the other currently produced Trek show, was the worst Star Trek ever produced. There were some good elements in it, but over all it's a muddled mess that contradicts not only Star Trek and basic science, but also itself! And a lot of the same people who made Discovery produced the new Star Trek: Picard show. That had me worried.

BUT Michael Chabon, who is a Pultizer-winning novelist, came on board and eventual showrunner for Picard, which then gave me hope!

I got up early to watch the first episode yesterday and totally loved it! A lot of the criticism for the show is due to the slow pace, but I think that the slow pace fits the show and the character of Picard. The cinematography is amazing, and Patrick Stewart is spot on as always. There were a lot of Easter Eggs for TNG fans, but over all the story and mystery and intrigue is what I enjoyed. Here's hoping it can keep up this quality!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

As a HUGE fan of the Berman and Piller Trek Universe, I'd love to watch this but I'm not paying for yet another streaming service just for this. I'll wait and just see it later. I seriously don't know why CBS wouldn't put this on their network.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah this show really seems as if they're getting it right. My one complaint is the use of the Discovery era shuttlecraft. That's just lazy. Everything else though seems well thought out. Seeing the D on the TV screen again made me smile…I'm excited to see where this series leads. I loved the Easter eggs!!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

I saw it last night and liked it. One thing I noticed that none of the reviewers have seemed to notice is when

Data laid down his cards in the beginning and all five were Queens as in "Q" Could this be a clue to this whole series is a dream,etc… that Q is putting Picard through again as some sort of test? Either way, I think at least this is a hint we will see Q show up somehow in this new series...
    Last edited by He-Kal; January 25, 2020 at 02:44am.

I like the episode overall. But a two things I have to nit pick on:
    1. B4 was not a copy of Data, he came before, hence the name.
    2. Why were the Romulan Assassins beaming down to get themselves killed rather than just beaming her up into a containment field? I don't recall Romulans being being the shoot first ask questions later type.
    Load the spaceships with the rocket fuel!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    I saw it last night and liked it. One thing I noticed that none of the reviewers have seemed to notice is when
    That's an interesting theory!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

I enjoyed the first episode. Yes, it was slow to start but the story just brought me and I got hooked. Cannot wait for the next episode!
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

Eh, it was nice seeing old friends again, but the writing was painful. They completely misunderstood the Star Trek universe. The Federation would be the first group out there to provide assistance to the Romulans. It's just what they do. TNG Picard was nowhere in evidence. This was more the action hero Picard from the movies, which completely ran counter to his portrayal in the series.

Eh. It's Abrams Trek. If you like it, you'll like this. If you find it generic sci-fi rubbish, like me, you won't.
    Live in the Connecticut/SW Massachusetts area? Need a tutor for you or your kids? PM me!

The name is Bond.... James Bond.