Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor things you hate...

Master of New Adventures!

Minor things you hate...

Ever have a strand of dental floss break and part of it gets stuck between your teeth?

ARRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Paper cuts.

Driving along the interstate, passing an exit, seeing a sign that informs you the next exit is twenty-six miles away and, from the backseat, your four-year-old says, "Daddy, I have to go potty."

Heroic Warrior
    Sarcasm...

Oblivious.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

People who can't keep their vehicle in their own lane on the interstate.
    "...we can't defeat the most divisive President in modern American history by tearing down anybody who doesn't agree with us 100% of the time," - Pete Buttigieg

I know some of that is alcohol induced, but I wonder how much is because of texting while driving...

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    People who can't keep their vehicle in their own lane on the interstate.

Hang nails and blisters
    Check out by trade thread...looking to sell off parts

Walking into my darkened living room at 11 at night, looking around and thinking, "I know I came in here for something, but I just can't remember what it was..."

When young people tell me, "Oh, Mr. Olesker, the same thing happens to me," I tell them, "Trust me, it gets worse..."

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Walking into my darkened living room at 11 at night, looking around and thinking, "I know I came in here for something, but I just can't remember what it was..."

When young people tell me, "Oh, Mr. Olesker, the same thing happens to me," I tell them, "Trust me, it gets worse..."
    Well, of course it gets worse. You could step on a Lego or as I like to call them, poor man's caltrops.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

I've got three children. Don't get me started on Legos...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    Well, of course it gets worse. You could step on a Lego or as I like to call them, poor man's caltrops.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Sarcasm...

Honestly? My biggest pet peeve lately is people who cannot think for themselves. The sad thing is that a lot of very smart people do very little critical thinking about anything that actually matters.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    I've got three children. Don't get me started on Legos...
    Duplos are preparing me for that with our 2 year old, lol.

Duplos are like the creep that rolls down his car window, holds out a handful of Skittles and says, "Have some candy. The first bite's free." Trust me, Legos are waiting for you...

When I was a kid I was happy with a yo-yo and a Slinky. Nowadays, to buy a couple of Lego playsets you have to take out a five-year loan from the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Duplos are preparing me for that with our 2 year old, lol.

I think after faithfully marrying to Mary Jane for 12 years, my brain's health is as old as the youngest Baby Boomer around.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

People posting highly offensive things on social media then having tantrums and being offended when someone disagrees with them or posts a different opinion.

Thank God I'm married to an Irish angel that's nineteen years younger than me...

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    I think after faithfully marrying to Mary Jane for 12 years, my brain's health is as old as the youngest Baby Boomer around.
    - - - Updated - - -

That's one of the main reason I'm not on social media much. I have difficulty abiding fools.

[QUOTE=Mark M;3870291]People posting highly offensive things on social media then having tantrums and being offended when someone disagrees with them or posts a different opinion.[/QUOTE\\

Absolutely not directed at anyone. This is just a personal pet peeve of mine:

People who react to information with heavy emotion and very little logic.

It drives me batty to see people overreact, especially over words. But it absolutely KILLS me when they do it and it turns out they've completely misunderstood what they read.
    "...we can't defeat the most divisive President in modern American history by tearing down anybody who doesn't agree with us 100% of the time," - Pete Buttigieg

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    People posting highly offensive things on social media then having tantrums and being offended when someone disagrees with them or posts a different opinion.
    I'm a little of passive aggressive on family members who have different view like a facepalm gif or at least a news that contradicted their proof on a proper news site.

I'm a little of passive aggressive on family members who have different view like a facepalm gif or at least a news that contradicted their proof on a proper news site.
    Such really over the top reactions though over the slightest thing.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Heeeere's Olesker!;3870299]Thank God I'm married to an Irish angel that's nineteen years younger than me...

- - - Updated - - -

That's one of the main reason I'm not on social media much. I have difficulty abiding fools.

People posting highly offensive things on social media then having tantrums and being offended when someone disagrees with them or posts a different opinion.[/QUOTE\\
    I have a social media account as need it to keep in contact with friends but also for my work.
    It's just certain types of posts I really hate...political posts etc.

Many years ago I was exactly like those people who irritate you. It's called having Reactive emotive behavior, as explained by Dr. Albert Ellis. This is the book that changed my life:

https://www.ebay.com/p/190073?iid=39...IaAst_EALw_wcB

To boil down what Ellis says, the problem people with Reactive emotive behavior have is that their 'qualitative' and 'quanitative' response -- the 'quality' of their responses as opposed to the 'quantity' or strength of their responses -- are in an almost constant state of imbalance. For instance, when my mother died from breast cancer, after a long death watch I had a strong and appropriate qualitative response of grief. The proper quantitative response for me was to mourn her passing for a period of half a year -- not going overboard, but feeling sad. Conversely, if someone cuts me off in traffic and flips me the bird, I may also have a qualitative response -- in this case one of anger -- but the degree of my qualitative response shouldn't be equal to the gravity of the passing of one's mother. Taking it a step further, imbalance comes into play if my quantitative response to that person flipping me the bird is that I drive at 90 miles an hour to catch up with them, lower my window and get into a shouting match with them and it then changes my driving habits for the next six month into being a lunatic on the lookout for anyone I correctly or incorrectly perceive acts in an inaproriate manner toward me.

I've found that Ellis' concept of the Reactive emotive behavior and balancing ones qualitative and quantitative responses in an appropriate manner to the circumstances truly is, as the book's title suggests, a guide to rational living. As I said, it changed my life and put it into balance.

I think a lot of what Ellis says applies to the points you make. I think the people you talk about over-react because their Reactive emotive behavior overshadows their ability to look at what they are reading or digesting rationally, resulting in a quantitative response that is out of balance, ranting, i.e., in the process -- understandable since you are a balanced individual -- ticking you off. It's been said that the sane person in an insane asylum is insane...or, at least in your case, driven to the brink of it. Sometimes that's the price we pay for being sane and rational in a frequently insane and irrational world. Vraiment, n'est ce pas?

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Absolutely not directed at anyone. This is just a personal pet peeve of mine:

People who react to information with heavy emotion and very little logic.

It drives me batty to see people overreact, especially over words. But it absolutely KILLS me when they do it and it turns out they've completely misunderstood what they read.
    - - - Updated - - -

Okay, now I get it. I thought 'Mary Jane' is your wife. Thanks for explaining in a pm, my friend. I'm afraid I'm hopelessly out of touch on this sort of thing. Do I ever feel like a dolt.

t
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; February 1, 2020 at 01:45pm.

Idiots on EBay.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    In my experience, this is about 70% of what facebook is, which is one of the main reasons I'm not on facebook any more.

Pathological liars who lie for attention and/or sympathy.

Heroic Warrior
    Idiots on EBay.
    "Will you accept _this_ offer for your listing instead?"

I once had a guy message me after I sold a blu-ray to another user, asking if I'd contact that buyer and ask if that buyer would be willing to sell the case and artwork for the blu-ray to him.