Thread: Should I open my Retro MOTU figures?

Should I open my Retro MOTU figures?

I've got 3 out of the four first 4 retro MOTU figures (5.5") all except Possessed Skeletor and recently got He-Ro & Eldor and some more coming.

Now since I'm mainly a vintage collector I opened my He-Ro & Eldor and have two more carded ones coming.Since all of my vintage collection is loose I'm thinking about opening all of these retro figures so they can fit into my collection and keep the cardbacks and bubbles.

I am doing this with the retro Star Wars figures because it "feels" and "looks" right

Are there any other loose collector's that buy the S7 retro line that are doing this or just keeping them carded?

Because I can't afford or have the space to buy one carded and one loose

I am mostly a MOC collector but I did buy a few extras to open and display with my vintage figures.
    Coming straight out of Preternia, tribal chieftess and the original WARRIOR GODDESS, SHARELLA!!!

Sharella needs her day in Classics. She is the only remaining vintage POG character that needs a figure.
    Support Sharella for Collectors Choice!

My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Sharella, Hunga the Harpy, Sagitar, Snake Goddess & Red Beast

I have a simple rule when it comes to 5.5 inch figures. If it arrives sealed, it stays sealed. I then place it in a Toy Shield case and hang it on the wall. If it comes loose, it goes on a shelf with the rest of the display.

On the other hand I open all MOTUC figures for display.

Right now all of my Super 7 5.5" figures are on the wall sealed. If they were a more reasonable price, I would have likely opted to buy some extras to display loose.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

I opened He-Ro and Eldor.
    The Filmation style 5.5" figs I've kept carded.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

I felt exactly the same way, my vintage collection is loose and I opened my Super7 figures to display...HUGE mistake!!! The Super7 figures, especially the first couple waves and ALL female figures, do not stand. He-Man and Skeletor's legs broke just opening the packages. This caused me to just cancel all my pre orders at that time and I gave up on Super7 all together. So unless you keep them on card I don't think you will be happy trying to display them. And except for Eldor and Hordak, they don't display well next to the vintage figures IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    I've got 3 out of the four first 4 retro MOTU figures (5.5") all except Possessed Skeletor and recently got He-Ro & Eldor and some more coming.

Now since I'm mainly a vintage collector I opened my He-Ro & Eldor and have two more carded ones coming.Since all of my vintage collection is loose I'm thinking about opening all of these retro figures so they can fit into my collection and keep the cardbacks and bubbles.

I am doing this with the retro Star Wars figures because it "feels" and "looks" right

Are there any other loose collector's that buy the S7 retro line that are doing this or just keeping them carded?

Because I can't afford or have the space to buy one carded and one loose

I did that with the 4” Marvel Universe and the 25th era GI Joe lines. Kept the card backs in comic bags and boards, the in sleeves in a binder. I set the figures up in display cases. Looks at Smalljoes.com for the APEX collectors cases. You can fit about 15-20 figures in there. Makes for a nice collection.

Sorry I don’t really collect the 5 PoA S7 stuff expect some of the Iron Maiden figures.

Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    I did that with the 4” Marvel Universe and the 25th era GI Joe lines. Kept the card backs in comic bags and boards, the in sleeves in a binder. I set the figures up in display cases. Looks at Smalljoes.com for the APEX collectors cases. You can fit about 15-20 figures in there. Makes for a nice collection.

Sorry I don’t really collect the 5 PoA S7 stuff expect some of the Iron Maiden figures.
    I opened them all except the 3 Terrors because of the price of these now....

I'm keeping all the cardbacks etc. and they look pretty good with my vintage figures......

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    I opened them all except the 3 Terrors because of the price of these now....

I'm keeping all the cardbacks etc. and they look pretty good with my vintage figures......
    Cool, best of luck with your collection. Post some pics if you can.

I will I'll mix and match them with my vintage MOTU.....

Here you go:

motu1.jpg motu2.jpgmotu3.jpgmotu4.jpgmotu5.jpgmotu6.jpgmotu7.jpgmotu8.jpgbuzz.gif

All of them are pretty good but the She-Ra sucks! Cannot stand shield can't be attached the wrong way and I only need 3-4 more figures to round this line out..
    Last edited by Megalodon; May 9, 2020 at 04:06pm.

I need 30 more!

These figures are awesome and I especially need more Filmation She-Ra figures. Weaver needs allies and enemies!

Scorpia, Leech, Mantenna, Grizzlor, Octavia, Catra, Horde Trooper, Hunga....

....and Adora, She-Ra 2.0 (since as you said, this one leaves a LOT to be desired), Bow, Glimmer, Angella, Razz & Broom, Castaspella, Sea Hawk, Frosta, Huntara...

....and Swifty and Catra in Panther Form. And Twiggets.

Plus the missing MOTU figures like Marlena, Sorceress, Icer, Count Marzo, Shokoti, Lord Masque, Ram-Man, Lizard Man, Enchantress and maybe General Tartaran.

That's not too much to ask, is it?
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; May 11, 2020 at 11:54am.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I need 30 more!

These figures are awesome and I especially need more Filmation She-Ra figures. Weaver needs allies and enemies!

Scorpia, Leech, Mantenna, Grizzlor, Octavia, Catra, Horde Trooper, Hunga....

....and Adora, She-Ra 2.0 (since as you said, this one leaves a LOT to be desired), Bow, Glimmer, Angella, Razz & Broom, Castaspella, Sea Hawk, Frosta, Huntara...

....and Swifty and Catra in Panther Form. And Twiggets.

Plus the missing MOTU figures like Marlena, Sorceress, Icer, Count Marzo, Shokoti, Lord Masque, Ram-Man, Lizard Man, Enchantress and maybe General Tartaran.

That's not too much to ask, is it?
    I'd LOVE to see these and more but don't think it will happen...Would love to see the classics figures that were never made into the vintage line as well get this treatment...Gygor, King Grayskull etc.

Hey, I never thought I'd get a vintage Shadow Weaver....and there she is, on my shelf! Maybe if we're patient and lucky, Super7 will come through in time with more of these.

(So yeah....I opened them!)

Hey, I never thought I'd get a vintage Shadow Weaver....and there she is, on my shelf! Maybe if we're patient and lucky, Super7 will come through in time with more of these.

(So yeah....I opened them!)
    Me too...they have to be with my loose vintage collection it wouldn't be the same!

Did you open your Skeletor & 3 Terrors figures as well?

I never picked up the Three Terrors. I didn't much care for the design.

Are you asking if I opened a Filmation Skeletor...or was there a Skeletor that came with the Three Terrors...?

I never picked up the Three Terrors. I didn't much care for the design.

Are you asking if I opened a Filmation Skeletor...or was there a Skeletor that came with the Three Terrors...?
    There was Possessed Skeletor that was a part of that group.

Aaaaahhhhh. Okay. Did not know.

Heroic Warrior
    I got over excited when the first wave was coming out and got the first 4 and the 2 packs. But now later on I'm not sure I even want any of them. I got them to hang on the wall. But I really don't even think I want them
    Been thinking of selling them.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by unclassified View Post
    I got over excited when the first wave was coming out and got the first 4 and the 2 packs. But now later on I'm not sure I even want any of them. I got them to hang on the wall. But I really don't even think I want them
    Been thinking of selling them.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    All of mine are OK except for She-Ra I'll post more updated pics on page 1

I'm surprised with all the vintage collector's that these were not a bigger hit..they are great