Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Origins news & reveals at Spielwarenmesse, Nuremberg 2020

Quote Originally Posted by hlinhk128 View Post
    Castle Grayskull under consideration. Looks like the Classics one but with old paint job with black on the face. Less items included.
    So since they have this available it would be a stripped down version of the classics Grayskull less accessories simpler paint job but most likely cheaper and retail available. That would be pretty rad I wonder what they could safely charge for that? Also I worry that people would be annoyed they paid more for the MOTUC version. On top of that would this effect the secondary market price of the MOTUC version?

Heroic Warrior
    I hope that if the line continues past this lineup, we get the weird vehicles and accessories that don't get any love. Like, the Land Shark, Beam Blaster, Cliff Climber (it's my understanding that this is like Man at Arms' answer to Webstor, who's in the line), the Fright Fighter, and like the Megalaser.

Also, I'm wondering if the MAA variant is 200x inspired, or at least uses the armor that comes with the guy who was in Spider-Man.

- - - Updated - - -

Randall Mario Poffo is the guy. Also, he's apparently been dead for almost a decade.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, this is completely baseless, but I would love it if the Skeletor two pack has Disco Skeletor

What does "Shoppe Exclusives" mean? Is that only for like a Walmart or Target exclusive? Well, those two-packs sound incredible, especially with MAA's brown cape and vintage head. I will definitely hold out from buying the single versions of those and get these two-packs, depending on cost.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Warrior
    I don't want to sound like an idiot, but when did MAA have a cape?

I'm not interested in the Origins line in general, but that Zodac chair caught my eye. I wonder if I could fudge it into my Classics collection.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

That is quite the aggressive rollout and I really do hope it all comes to pass. My concerns though:

1) No Ram-Man! I get that he has unique tooling but he needs to be in this lineup.

2) Con exclusive Skeletor/Keldor 2-pack. Bummer! I didn't get the He-man/Prince Adam set and I probably won't be able to afford this since Matty Collector isn't an option any more.

3) Six waves! I hope stores are on top of which assortments to order and Mattel doesn't clog them down with wave 1 over and over again or we'll be drowning in He-Man, MAA, Skeletor, and Beast Men!

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    The first mini-comic. But only can be seen when he is in the distance while riding the Battle Chariot when He-Man first sees him. BTW: I do so hope we get the Battle Chariot in this Origins line!

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    One of the original mini-comics had him riding a vehicle with a cape trailing behind him.

This is an exciting, lengthy list! As far as my thoughts...

Figures:
    • Wave 1: He-Man, Man-At-Arms, Skeletor, Beast Man
    I'll probably skip He-Man, since I have the SDCC Exclusive version. I might pass on MAA, too, if the other version gives me everything I might want. The same goes for Skeletor and BM, though to a lesser degree. I'll surely get one Beast Man, though, if only for my pal who has a small collection of purely Beast Man items.

• Wave 2: Teela, Evil Lyn, Orko
    I'm all in for these three, unless the two-pack allows me to skip Teela.

• Wave 3: Scareglow, Man-E-Faces, Mer Man
    I like this wave a lot, but again, the 2-Pack MM might allow me to pass the single release.

• Wave 4: Trap Jaw, Stratos, Tri-Klops, Stinkor
    Awesome wave.

• Wave 5: Webstor, Fisto, Moss Man, Roboto
    Another awesome wave. I'm sure Roboto won't have turning gears, which is a bit disappointing, but the modular concept for this line allows for different kids of fun.*

• Wave 6: Jitsu, Battle Armour He-Man, Buzz Off, Clawful
    Honestly, I've never been a huge fan of Clawful, but I'm sure I'll grab him. Also, while BA HM was my He-Man for most of my childhood, I could conceivably pass on him. Jitsu on the heels of Fisto will be welcome.

• Mail Away Faker
    As long as this is easy to obtain for EVERYONE, I'm totally down for the vintage-feels of a good, old-fashioned mail-away.

Vehicles:
    • Battle Cat
    • Sky Sled w/ Prince Adam
    • Panthor with fur
    • Wind Raider
    • Battle Ram
    • Zodac on silver floating chair platform.
    Honestly, while the cats are an obvious and very big YES, I could see myself passing on vehicles we got in MOTUC, unless these offer lots more playability or other charming qualities I am unable to turn down. I'd be okay passing on a Vintage-style Adam because I have the SDCC version, but if the vehicle is really great, I'd grab it. Zodac's chair is a must, especially if it's compatible with MOTUC.

Shoppe Exclusives:
    • 2 pack of Beast Man and Mer-Man. Like He-Man 2 pack they have a vintage toy head and new toy head. 4 hands and more weapons. Yellow trident and wooden axe plus normal weapons. Merman head looks like old mini comic.
    • Teela and Man At Arms 2 pack. Teela has Blond hair head and vintage head, sword and spear and shield. 4 hands on each. Man-At-Arms has vintage toy head and new toy head. Brown cape, mace, sword and gun. Man-At-Arms looks like more paint on him.
    Again, I'll pass on singles if these give me everything I want.

Boxes are window style like Battle Cat with art on top
    I love this.

• Convention Exculsive: Skeletor Keldor 2 pack. Has open comic like last years set. Skeletor looks painted differently and has vintage toy head, 6 hands and different sword with power sword. Keldor has purple cloth vest, sword and cape with bone harness and extra hands.
    Again, I'll pass on singles if these give me everything I want, and if the Keldor vest can fit the MOTUC version for a more proper "Prince" look, all the better.

• Castle Grayskull under consideration. Looks like the Classics one but with old paint job with black on the face. Less items included.
    I'll probably pass on this unless it's vastly different from MOTUC's version.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    Can’t wait for the photos ����

Would really love to see a Goddess (green minicomic) and Sorceress (filmation) two-pack as well!

This sounds great but what I really want to know is if they will be available at big box retail here in Australia. (KMart or Target or Big W) this would keep the prices down for us Aussie collectors. For example... currently we have the Super 7 Neo-Vintage figures occasionally popping up in smaller retail outlets but theyre priced at $50 each!

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    That is quite the aggressive rollout and I really do hope it all comes to pass. My concerns though:

1) No Ram-Man! I get that he has unique tooling but he needs to be in this lineup.

2) Con exclusive Skeletor/Keldor 2-pack. Bummer! I didn't get the He-man/Prince Adam set and I probably won't be able to afford this since Matty Collector isn't an option any more.

3) Six waves! I hope stores are on top of which assortments to order and Mattel doesn't clog them down with wave 1 over and over again or we'll be drowning in He-Man, MAA, Skeletor, and Beast Men!

You are absolutely correct. Mattel has yet to prove they have any type of inventory management system that will provide proper carton ratios--which illustrates another major drawback of retail lines--- their fate is solely dependent on re-orders. If product doesn't move, its not reordered. Look at Marvel Legends...Walmart in Chicago are just putting new cases of 2018 waves. If Matty can't balance their cartons properly this line will last about as long as 200x.
    Rambo was a documentary filmed in real time.

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    Can't wait to dive head first into this line. One for me. One for my son!!! Haha. No word on when these will hit stores? I know they said fall 2020 before but specifics would be nice. Really wish they opted with the vintage toy head and one color boots for he-man.

• Castle Grayskull under consideration. Looks like the Classics one but with old paint job with black on the face. Less items included.
    So according to an associate that was there, a little more detail on CG:

It was the Classics Castle Grayskull for sure. The paint apps have been limited to the base color, a lighter bright green for accents, and a whole lotta black. It looks a lot like the 82 CG.

Most of the 3D accessories inside were replaced by what was either glossy cardboard or thin plastic 2D representations. Dungeon grate was a sticker or said cardboard/plastic. Weapons rack and weapons pack were Classics (like the originals, were molded in orange and grey, respectively) as well as the Jet Pack from Vikron (molded or painted in orange). Boxing trainer was from Classics CG.

Exposed hole was still present in floor for mounting the Wind Raider. Wind Raider by the way is an exact copy/re-release of Classics Wind Raider from what was seen.

The list circulating states that CG is "under consideration" but my associate said that the card actually read "Wave ?" This indicates to me that its release is not under consideration, Mattel just doesn't know if it will be Wave 1 or 2.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    I'm not interested in the Origins line in general, but that Zodac chair caught my eye. I wonder if I could fudge it into my Classics collection.
    That's exactly what I was hoping - that it would be large enough for Classics as so far I have no interest in collecting Origins. (I am also selfishly hoping that what is sounding like an almost rerelease of the classics castle will bring the value of that down a little as I am looking for a Classics castle...)
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post

It was the Classics Castle Grayskull for sure. The paint apps have been limited to the base color, a lighter bright green for accents, and a whole lotta black. It looks a lot like the 82 CG.

Most of the 3D accessories inside were replaced by what was either glossy cardboard or thin plastic 2D representations. Dungeon grate was a sticker or said cardboard/plastic. Weapons rack and weapons pack were Classics (like the originals, were molded in orange and grey, respectively) as well as the Jet Pack from Vikron (molded or painted in orange). Boxing trainer was from Classics CG.

Exposed hole was still present in floor for mounting the Wind Raider. Wind Raider by the way is an exact copy/re-release of Classics Wind Raider from what was seen.

The list circulating states that CG is "under consideration" but my associate said that the card actually read "Wave ?" This indicates to me that its release is not under consideration, Mattel just doesn't know if it will be Wave 1 or 2.
    Hmm, interesting. I wouldn't have thought that they would reuse that huge mold. I know it saves money on tooling, but that's a lot of plastic and shelf space.

I really hope they don't do the sloppy black paint of the vintage castle. That was a cost saving measure, and IMO it looked bad. The earliest versions of the vintage Castle had paint more like this, with more subtle and careful paint application:

If they are re-using the molds from Classics for the vehicles and playsets, then that is kind of a bummer. I was hoping for all new molds. Anyway, perhaps this is a cheaper way for me to get a Classics CG, I guess. But I'd rather something new.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post

Thats huge news for me, if true! If they make vehicles MOTUC compatible, I'll be SUPER excited!
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Good question. I'm guessing those are delayed because so many would require a lot of unique tooling? Although at least Hordak and Grizzlor could use some parts with He-Man and Beast Man.
    It may also be that they want to let She-Ra run it’s course first.

I bet Mekanek and King Hiss will be deluxe releases based on prior comments from Mattel.

My guess would be King Hiss gets the Classics snake torso tooled to fit on the new bodies and might get a number of extras.

They’ve suggested before that figures with essential gimmicks might be handled as more expensive deluxe releases with extra parts to recreate the gimmicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Hmm, interesting. I wouldn't have thought that they would reuse that huge mold. I know it saves money on tooling, but that's a lot of plastic and shelf space.

I really hope they don't do the sloppy black paint of the vintage castle. That was a cost saving measure, and IMO it looked bad. The earliest versions of the vintage Castle had paint more like this, with more subtle and careful paint application:

https://i.imgur.com/d1vhMC2.jpg
    I mentioned this in another thread, but shelf space isn't really an issue anymore. Wal-Mart and Amazon account for the majority of toy sales now, so Target (who historically has balked at large displays or endcaps) along with TRU and K-Mart is irrelevant to the discussion for the most part.

The only pitfall that comes with Wal-Mart is that their endcaps and aisle displays typically come with a sell-through period of 30 to 60 days. After that, they Clearance out remaining inventory to free up shelf space. We're seeing that now with the WWEternia ring three pack.

At best, they could only fit two CGs on the regular shelf at any given time, so that will mean a lot of people won't find these in-store past that initial one to two month floor display period, when they'll be in their hottest demand. I'm assuming they'll ship two to a case, and that's likely going to be the weekly allotment per store. If you thought finding WWEternia was tough, wait until Origins launches!

Having not seen the new Castle, I'm not sure what the paint looked like, but I assume it will look better at the trade show compared to the final product. I'm really hoping that they add brown to the paint apps for the wood and shingle highlights.

BTW, your blog is the best MOTU related blog on the internet. Just wanted to point that out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
    Thats huge news for me, if true! If they make vehicles MOTUC compatible, I'll be SUPER excited!
    I think there's going to be a lot of compatibility between the two lines. Things like the Castle, which were shrunk down for Classics for cost concerns, will be perfect for Origins. Accessories so far seem to be pretty interchangeable thanks to the updated hands on Origins/WWEternia.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Oh man....I NEED that Zodac w/ chair!!
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    Man I am torn. On one hand, I have a mostly complete Classics collection so do I want to go back and collect another line which may or may not be as thorough seeing not all the heavy hitters are announced yet. On the other hand, there's so much potential for this line and if they are vintage sized, it may be the motivator to finally track down and piece together the Eternian playset along with a few other vehicles I found cool but not worth the effort to hunt down. If they have Horde members to show at Comic-Con, that may push me into diving in.

Heroic Warrior
    As unlikely as it was, I was kind of hoping to see some She-Ra: Princess of Power characters sprinkled into the Origins line. At the very least She-Ra.

I guess it could still happen at some point in the future, potentially when they get around to including members of The Evil Horde.

Not surprised at how they're releasing the characters. Scare Glow is really the only curve ball, which we already knew about. I hope they decide to include brand new characters into the line or characters that have only gotten releases in MOTUC so far. I really want them to expand beyond just the vintage characters.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Lizorr, T-Rex, Great Black Wizard, rest of New Adventures, MOP Demons, Dream Mistress.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Ileena, Twiggets, Dragoon, Widgets, Dark Dream, Lady Valtira, Count Marzo, Chimera.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!