Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Castle Greyskull under construction

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jburnett1975 View Post
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...227bb32367.jpg
    I got it to work but I had to remove 2 of the back teeth on the jaw Bridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man that looks great. My state opens up stores tomorrow, I'm going right to Michaels and buying a whole load of stuff. Hope there ain't gonna be a time limit cause I like to soak the whole store in haha

Is that a shield or did you sculpt that?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by unclassified View Post
    Man that looks great. My state opens up stores tomorrow, I'm going right to Michaels and buying a whole load of stuff. Hope there ain't gonna be a time limit cause I like to soak the whole store in haha

Is that a shield or did you sculpt that?

Thatís a shield that I got off eBay. The guy said it was a custom so I got it and dry brushed a bit of silver onto it

Heroic Warrior
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...a1302f10c4.jpg
    Thatís a shield that I got off eBay. The guy said it was a custom so I got it and dry brushed a bit of silver onto it

Yeah its the Grayskull man shield. Just wasn't sure if it was sculpted. I should make a cast of this shield out of green stuff to hang on the wall in my dio. I just picked up some oyamaru. Or whatever it's called. Today I'm gonna make some casts of scare glows keys for the cell door.

I made a mould last week to cast the face plate of skeletons head and made casts in 5 minute hot mud lol. Then coated it with mod podge and then glued them on the archway. Originally I was making one to go on the keystone. But then made four casts and had a hard time picking one so added three to the archway. I might make few more to add to a well I made where the spirit of grays kill will reside. It's basically a wishing well. The idea was like spit where you'd cast spells and shut but that changed to let's make the spirit reside in the hole in the ground. It's gonna glow green. So the spirit idea works for me

Last edited by unclassified; June 16, 2020 at 07:48am.

Yeah its the Grayskull man shield. Just wasn't sure if it was sculpted. I should make a cast of this shield out of green stuff to hang on the wall in my dio. I just picked up some oyamaru. Or whatever it's called. Today I'm gonna make some casts of scare glows keys for the cell door.

I made a mould last week to cast the face plate of skeletons head and made casts in 5 minute hot mud lol. Then coated it with mod podge and then glued them on the archway. Originally I was making one to go on the keystone. But then made four casts and had a hard time picking one so added three to the archway. I might make few more to add to a well I made where the spirit of grays kill will reside. It's basically a wishing well. The idea was like spit where you'd cast spells and shut but that changed to let's make the spirit reside in the hole in the ground. It's gonna glow green. So the spirit idea works for me

That sounds like itís gonna be awesome. Iíve never done any casting but have been seriously thinking bout trying it

Heroic Warrior
    That sounds like itís gonna be awesome. Iíve never done any casting but have been seriously thinking bout trying it

This was just a simple one side cast. The skeletors head is a face plate. Soni pryed it off with boiling water and then grabbed some Legos and a big Lego plate and built a box. I then filled it with air dry clay like you're using. I had to think of a way to make this happen with material on hand. Then I coated the skeletor face of Vaseline and pushed it in the clay. Made 2 molds in one box. Then let it dry for a few days and then mixed up 5 minute mud or spackle and made a few casts. I wanted a stone look and spackle will give me that. Really easy to chip it up and break parts off and age it. Then modpodge just to seal it and protect it. Now they are like little pieces of plastic lol.

Went to the craft store ended up grabbing a shopping cart and sinking 94 bucks. Grabbed some really cool things.

Sounds like you got some pretty nifty ways there for casting. I bet they look really good

Heroic Warrior
    Sounds like you got some pretty nifty ways there for casting. I bet they look really good

I'll have pics eventually man. You'll be the first one here I let know when it's all done. I made some cuffs and plates for the wall for shackles. But Tapatalk won't allow me to.post. I was taught a truck using Chrome. So I might log in from there and try it.

As for casting. Casting is a simple concept. I just used the basic concept but used materials I had on hand without buying the right stuff. I had air dry clay and 5 minute spackle is part of my dio supplies. Been incorporating stuff I use for my job with dios since I started many years ago. I needed a quick way to make a few skull faces and prefered them to be of a spackle or stone material rather green stuff.

When I cast scare glows key, they will be cast in green stuff. The skulls I wanted to have a stone look so I can chip and pock them.

Heroic Warrior
    Hey what did you use for your door? Looks like printed paper.

Let's see if this works. 20200618_234859.jpg

20200618_234910.jpg ..................

20200618_234934.jpg20200618_234945.jpgreceived_285597935925756.jpg

I can't post pics of the skulls everything is all black so you'd never see them on the stones. I'm still a bit away from painting. I still have things to make like torches run wire for lights. And whatever idea pops in my head as I'm in the middle of creating lol. In which is a common thing with me. I just wake up with ideas in my head and then second later how I'll approach said idea and execute it. I'm sure you're well familiar with this as an artist lol. This is why I can't put a time on anything I create. If I rush through it, it will not have the heart and thought and time needed and won't be near as cool as if I take my time and let my inspiration and brain guide me througj.

I have real chain and jump rings. I did make rings out of styrene but decided to go with real metal. They are in the process of being rusted at the moment. But bit reluctant on that. The cuffs and plates are painted black and then silver and then rust. The chain and rings are chromish. So the color of the metal is really not jiving with me. So since it only cost about 14 bucks for chain and material for a rusting solution, if it don't pan out I can toss it to the side and start over with a different approach. But first before I pull the plug on this round, I'm gonna dip all the metal in a black wash then a silver wash and then a rust wash and see what it looks like. If it blends with the things I painted I'll use em. If not then I'll just start over and go about doing it differently. I am running to joaans today, so I'll look for a nickel colors chain and jump rings when checking out the bead section. The chains and rings I got are silver and the silver clashes with my painted silver. I want them to look the same. As for the rust on all the metal. I couldn't be more impressed or happy with it. It's just the coating in the metal that's giving me issues.

Hey what did you use for your door? Looks like printed paper.
    My door is popsicle sticks lol

I have real chain and jump rings. I did make rings out of styrene but decided to go with real metal. They are in the process of being rusted at the moment. But bit reluctant on that. The cuffs and plates are painted black and then silver and then rust. The chain and rings are chromish. So the color of the metal is really not jiving with me. So since it only cost about 14 bucks for chain and material for a rusting solution, if it don't pan out I can toss it to the side and start over with a different approach. But first before I pull the plug on this round, I'm gonna dip all the metal in a black wash then a silver wash and then a rust wash and see what it looks like. If it blends with the things I painted I'll use em. If not then I'll just start over and go about doing it differently. I am running to joaans today, so I'll look for a nickel colors chain and jump rings when checking out the bead section. The chains and rings I got are silver and the silver clashes with my painted silver. I want them to look the same. As for the rust on all the metal. I couldn't be more impressed or happy with it. It's just the coating in the metal that's giving me issues.
    Man that really looks like those parts are rusted metal. Thatís great work

Heroic Warrior
    Have you ever played with foamcore or exterior insulation foam? I got done with these and was getting ready to put them together and realized I made 6 chains and was supposed to make 8 lol.

20200622_201356.jpg

20200622_201331.jpg20200622_201348.jpg

Have you ever played with foamcore or exterior insulation foam? I got done with these and was getting ready to put them together and realized I made 6 chains and was supposed to make 8 lol.

20200622_201356.jpg
    These look unbelievably good man. Iíve used the foam but I canít find anything sharp enough to cut it without messing it up

Heroic Warrior
    These look unbelievably good man. Iíve used the foam but I canít find anything sharp enough to cut it without messing it up

The pink stuff I have in the pic? Very similar to sheet rock, but more like the way of say plastic styrene or plexiglass. You take your measurement then get a metal straight edge. I use a t square for sheet rock as I own a few from being in the paint trade and is the safer easier way as well. But you line up the t square and make your cut. Then bring it to a table edge and press down. That will give you the cleanest cuts without a foam cutting table. You only get that I'd you make these on the reg. If not, you do the steps I just said.

As for foamcore. What I do is take my measurements and then again get a straight edge like a metal ruler, you always want to use metal and slow cuts so you don't slip. Dull blades are as dagerous as a sharp one when it comes to getting hung up and force. But this foam cuts real easy as its only a like 3/16 thick.. but you make your cut and then you peel the paper off. And you can texture it how ever you want like the pink stuff. Pink is dense foamcore is not. But both take impressions extremely well and both have their uses for their own things. Both can be made to look like rock or wood. the metal plate is foam core. The dio. Is the pink exterior insulation.

And thanks man. Can't wait til it's bad boy is done but still have wires to run paint and few other things.

The pink stuff I have in the pic? Very similar to sheet rock, but more like the way of say plastic styrene or plexiglass. You take your measurement then get a metal straight edge. I use a t square for sheet rock as I own a few from being in the paint trade and is the safer easier way as well. But you line up the t square and make your cut. Then bring it to a table edge and press down. That will give you the cleanest cuts without a foam cutting table. You only get that I'd you make these on the reg. If not, you do the steps I just said.

As for foamcore. What I do is take my measurements and then again get a straight edge like a metal ruler, you always want to use metal and slow cuts so you don't slip. Dull blades are as dagerous as a sharp one when it comes to getting hung up and force. But this foam cuts real easy as its only a like 3/16 thick.. but you make your cut and then you peel the paper off. And you can texture it how ever you want like the pink stuff. Pink is dense foamcore is not. But both take impressions extremely well and both have their uses for their own things. Both can be made to look like rock or wood. the metal plate is foam core. The dio. Is the pink exterior insulation.

And thanks man. Can't wait til it's bad boy is done but still have wires to run paint and few other things.

Yep itís the pink one. I will have to sharpen my blade or get new ones and give your way a try. I was doing like 2 or 3 cuts at a time and it was still not cutting cleaner but I wasnít using like a table edge to break it off

Heroic Warrior
    Yep itís the pink one. I will have to sharpen my blade or get new ones and give your way a try. I was doing like 2 or 3 cuts at a time and it was still not cutting cleaner but I wasnít using like a table edge to break it off

Yeah. You run your blade sort of flat. Don't cut straight up. Do like 3 passes and then snap at a table edge. Way mire square then running a blade extended, it alway cuts on an angle. Especially the smaller break a way blades. I use them for everything cause I use em for work. But for insulation I like to use the bigger size break a aways. Go to home Depot or any gard ware store and buy the cheap plastic ones that come in assorted colors, they are like 69 cents. Then go to the replacement blades and buy a pack. They are like 10 bucks for the pack and they are kind of scary separating them cause they are stuck together with a oil. But I think it's safer to just buy 10 break a ways. I like the cheaper break a aways over the olfa and other brands cause of the lock.

1593363320715-1815133226.jpg this is a different brand but same thing as a break a way.

15933635340271774224536.jpg

This is the big ones. They might run run a follow something or more not really sure. Like I said I have thousands of these because of my job lol.

I will have to try it again here soon using your method. Iíve not done too much here lately with my castle but I hope to get the other tower covered in blocks soon

Heroic Warrior
    I will have to try it again here soon using your method. Iíve not done too much here lately with my castle but I hope to get the other tower covered in blocks soon

If I get the chance and can post a video here I'll show you.

My dio Is just about done. Just need to finish the black base and then the teal. Also need to cast a score glow key and make a holder for it for the wall. Only thing I'll be doing after that is accents cap like a shelf and some torture devices. Can't wait. This thing too so long to make and so many hours and so much critical thinking.

Can't post a video. But I painted it. Went with a teal rather the laguna. Had plans of highlighting with laguna and either patina or adrift and a light gray and black, but decided not to and just leave it. I didn't test any of the colors out and don't wanna try it on the main canvas. A whole thread on this will be coming soon. Just not sure when.

Last edited by unclassified; July 6, 2020 at 12:29am.

If I get the chance and can post a video here I'll show you.

My dio Is just about done. Just need to finish the black base and then the teal. Also need to cast a score glow key and make a holder for it for the wall. Only thing I'll be doing after that is accents cap like a shelf and some torture devices. Can't wait. This thing too so long to make and so many hours and so much critical thinking.

Can't post a video. But I painted it. Went with a teal rather the laguna. Had plans of highlighting with laguna and either patina or adrift and a light gray and black, but decided not to and just leave it. I didn't test any of the colors out and don't wanna try it on the main canvas. A whole thread on this will be coming soon. Just not sure when. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...2290496419.jpg

The weathering and paint on this looks awesome.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvart View Post
    The weathering and paint on this looks awesome.
    Thank you. I guess a mod came and edited my comments and combined them because I didn't post it like this lol. It looks silly on my end as everything I wrote became small. As far as I know I made individual posts within a day or two span. I didn't edit them. A thread of this whole thing will be put up soon. Not sure when. Also will be in many fb groups. That's where I get most recognition for my customs and dios. Not really here. In which I find odd, but it is what it is. I made a post at the fwoosh once but that fell on deaf ears as well there lol. Fb is the place to get your credit by far. Between reactions and comments it's overwhelming. On forums you get like 2 people that like it lol. Just wait til this is done. There's so much more to this. There's all sorts of leds, scratch built accessories. And will have scratch built torture devices. Wanted to make 3 devices but I decided due to space and the scale of these, I'll do one big one and one small one or one big one and two small one's.. in the next few weeks just keep an eye out for the thread. I'll post in here so the op of this thread can enjoy it as much as I enjoyed his thread. Thanks for the kind words iluvart. I really appreciate it and you're the type of people both of you are the type I make this stuff for. The ones who appreciate the work that goes into making a piece. Again, thank you.

Heroic Warrior
    Here's a torch I made

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...a1302f10c4.jpg

Somehow I accidentally skipped over this one. It looks amazing, do you have any updated pictures to show us?

Thank you. I guess a mod came and edited my comments and combined them because I didn't post it like this lol. It looks silly on my end as everything I wrote became small. As far as I know I made individual posts within a day or two span. I didn't edit them. A thread of this whole thing will be put up soon. Not sure when. Also will be in many fb groups. That's where I get most recognition for my customs and dios. Not really here. In which I find odd, but it is what it is. I made a post at the fwoosh once but that fell on deaf ears as well there lol. Fb is the place to get your credit by far. Between reactions and comments it's overwhelming. On forums you get like 2 people that like it lol. Just wait til this is done. There's so much more to this. There's all sorts of leds, scratch built accessories. And will have scratch built torture devices. Wanted to make 3 devices but I decided due to space and the scale of these, I'll do one big one and one small one or one big one and two small one's.. in the next few weeks just keep an eye out for the thread. I'll post in here so the op of this thread can enjoy it as much as I enjoyed his thread. Thanks for the kind words iluvart. I really appreciate it and you're the type of people both of you are the type I make this stuff for. The ones who appreciate the work that goes into making a piece. Again, thank you.

You are most welcome, though don't be disheartened if you don't get a lot of feedback, craft done well is its own reward.

The sense of satisfaction of having achieved and realised something you put your mind to, the joy you feel when you put the tool down to survey and admire your own work, sometimes words don't really do it justice.

Here's a torch I made
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...afd983f20e.jpg

Do you use materials you find around the home, or purposely go and buy them (e.g. foam board)? I am guessing it might be a combination of the two?

How did you get the flame effect? It looks like if you placed a light inside or behind it, it would glow.

Heroic Warrior
    Somehow I accidentally skipped over this one. It looks amazing, do you have any updated pictures to show us?

You are most welcome, though don't be disheartened if you don't get a lot of feedback, craft done well is its own reward.

The sense of satisfaction of having achieved and realised something you put your mind to, the joy you feel when you put the tool down to survey and admire your own work, sometimes words don't really do it justice.

Do you use materials you find around the home, or purposely go and buy them (e.g. foam board)? I am guessing it might be a combination of the two?

How did you get the flame effect? It looks like if you placed a light inside or behind it, it would glow.
    Both. I buy the insulation foam. Like 20 bucks for a 4x8. That lasts a long time and many projects. And foam core from dollar tree. Like 50 cent a board. And most of the material I use is anything and everything lol.

There is a light inside the flame. Young ant see it. This is what the flame looks like not on. So it still has that fire look when off. And when on its a flickering candle led. The torch handle is pink insulation foam and the wires are ran inside it. I hollowed it out.

Both. I buy the insulation foam. Like 20 bucks for a 4x8. That lasts a long time and many projects. And foam core from dollar tree. Like 50 cent a board. And most of the material I use is anything and everything lol.

There is a light inside the flame. Young ant see it. This is what the flame looks like not on. So it still has that fire look when off. And when on its a flickering candle led. The torch handle is pink insulation foam and the wires are ran inside it. I hollowed it out.

Nice.

The torch itself ... is that plastic from another toy ... if not how were you able to get the shape?

Before I came across insulation foam, I came across some styrofoam (the type that breaks into thousands of little pieces easily). That stuff was quite difficult to work with as it was rather fragile. But I ended up making something that only looks half-dodgy. If I can be bothered I will finish it and take some photos. Hahah.

Heroic Warrior
    The metal plate for the torch is the foam core the torch handle is exterior insulation. This whole thing is scratch built except the led Fuze and wires. They are made in China haha. Oh and the piece that's holding the flame Isa for a necklace. The flame is scratch built. It's translucent yellow orange and red and silicone . But has a 3mm candle led inside with the wires ran through the handle.

Nice.

The torch itself ... is that plastic from another toy ... if not how were you able to get the shape?

Before I came across insulation foam, I came across some styrofoam (the type that breaks into thousands of little pieces easily). That stuff was quite difficult to work with as it was rather fragile. But I ended up making something that only looks half-dodgy. If I can be bothered I will finish it and take some photos. Hahah.
    Normal strofoam is great for bases or structure, they always have great shapes and topped with something like plaster cloth or sand or whatever works well . I really don't mess with it, if I do any structures, I do the old newspaper and weaved cereal box cardboard method.

You should run to your local dollar tree and grab like 5 bucks worth on foamcore. That stuff is great, and is endless with you can do with it. I normally don't get or take in to many tips on dios, sometimes i do. Dm scotty definitely is a genius and has a creative mind like mine, I've taking tips from him in the past. I do use others as inspiration to create something new or a jolt for creativity. Most the stuff I do or use I come up with on my own from being in the trades and always working with materials for trades for a livelihood.
    The rest is images I create in my head and need to figure out how to bring the image to life, so I think til I have answers lol.

Dm scotty makes flames out of hot glue. He uses hot glue for everything lol. But that's a real simple way to make awesome flames.

Wasn't sure if you meant how did I make the flame or how I made the handle? The handle I made from the pink stuff. I cut like a rectangle esq shape pressed the necklace pice in so I know exactly the diameter I needed, then carved downward til I made sort of a club then I sanded the rest to give them the final shape. Then textured it. I cut a v notch in the back from top to bottom, then hollowed it out with a needle shape file. It looked like a pink joint lol. Oh I also heated up the necklace piece so it would melt the perfect hole for it to sit in. After I built the light I placed the led prongs fuse and wires in the handle and then filled the v notch with clay then textured that to resemble wood grain like I did with the foam so it looked seamless. I textured the foam with a wire brush and the clay with a pencil I think. My neighbor wants me to make him a dio for his marvel legends lol and wants me to make a YouTube channel. Lol. But I'll be honest, I don't like sharing my udeas. I created the perfect snow back in like 2010. I went and made the mistake on sharing my idea to the gi Joe community. Later on a seen some gi Joe dio on YouTube that used my method. The credit wasn't given. I made a comment saying unclassified created this method and the guy deleted my comment lol. So, that was the end if me sharing my ideas with the world, now I just show finish products. But it does stink not sharing cause I like people to know that I made this piece out of nothing or the look on their face when I tell them what I used to make the piece lol.

Normal strofoam is great for bases or structure, they always have great shapes and topped with something like plaster cloth or sand or whatever works well . I really don't mess with it, if I do any structures, I do the old newspaper and weaved cereal box cardboard method.
    I saw a youtube channel called Lizard Landscapes where the guy uses styrofoam but reinforces it with some kinda grout. At the end it becomes hard like rock.

I don't have the skills and/or patience....

You should run to your local dollar tree and grab like 5 bucks worth on foamcore. That stuff is great, and is endless with you can do with it. I normally don't get or take in to many tips on dios, sometimes i do. Dm scotty definitely is a genius and has a creative mind like mine, I've taking tips from him in the past. I do use others as inspiration to create something new or a jolt for creativity. Most the stuff I do or use I come up with on my own from being in the trades and always working with materials for trades for a livelihood.
    The rest is images I create in my head and need to figure out how to bring the image to life, so I think til I have answers lol.

Dm scotty makes flames out of hot glue. He uses hot glue for everything lol. But that's a real simple way to make awesome flames.
    Yes a lot of those miniature wargaming channels have really neat tutorials. My problem is by the time I have "free" it is like 10.30pm, and then on the weekends there is other housework. So my disposition towards laziness kicks in and it's even harder to motivate myself. But that's just an excuse LOL.

To the best of my knowledge ... Australia does not have stores like dollar trees, Michael's, etc. We do have art / hobby stores but they are not that big and usually don't have supplies or are not cheap. I did go to my nearest hardware store once and bought a sheet of foam.

Wasn't sure if you meant how did I make the flame or how I made the handle? The handle I made from the pink stuff. I cut like a rectangle esq shape pressed the necklace pice in so I know exactly the diameter I needed, then carved downward til I made sort of a club then I sanded the rest to give them the final shape. Then textured it. I cut a v notch in the back from top to bottom, then hollowed it out with a needle shape file. It looked like a pink joint lol. Oh I also heated up the necklace piece so it would melt the perfect hole for it to sit in. After I built the light I placed the led prongs fuse and wires in the handle and then filled the v notch with clay then textured that to resemble wood grain like I did with the foam so it looked seamless. I textured the foam with a wire brush and the clay with a pencil I think. My neighbor wants me to make him a dio for his marvel legends lol and wants me to make a YouTube channel. Lol. But I'll be honest, I don't like sharing my udeas. I created the perfect snow back in like 2010. I went and made the mistake on sharing my idea to the gi Joe community. Later on a seen some gi Joe dio on YouTube that used my method. The credit wasn't given. I made a comment saying unclassified created this method and the guy deleted my comment lol. So, that was the end if me sharing my ideas with the world, now I just show finish products. But it does stink not sharing cause I like people to know that I made this piece out of nothing or the look on their face when I tell them what I used to make the piece lol.

The question was around how you made the flame but I think you've answered it. It's rather shameful for someone to not give credit where it's due.

Heroic Warrior
    I saw a youtube channel called Lizard Landscapes where the guy uses styrofoam but reinforces it with some kinda grout. At the end it becomes hard like rock.

I don't have the skills and/or patience....

Yes a lot of those miniature wargaming channels have really neat tutorials. My problem is by the time I have "free" it is like 10.30pm, and then on the weekends there is other housework. So my disposition towards laziness kicks in and it's even harder to motivate myself. But that's just an excuse LOL.

To the best of my knowledge ... Australia does not have stores like dollar trees, Michael's, etc. We do have art / hobby stores but they are not that big and usually don't have supplies or are not cheap. I did go to my nearest hardware store once and bought a sheet of foam.

The question was around how you made the flame but I think you've answered it. It's rather shameful for someone to not give credit where it's due.
    Oh you're in Australia? You should Google foamcore. There has to be a dollar store equivalent there. The dollar tree version the paper comes right off. The better brands don't.

Man, great comment. You made me laugh. Lol