Thread: A new Masters of the Universe: Revelation toyline is in the works at Mattel!

A new Masters of the Universe: Revelation toyline is in the works at Mattel!

An interview with Kevin Smith has been spotted that was recorded shortly after the annual Power-Con event in LA in 2019, in which he confirms that Mattel is working on a new line of figures depicting characters from his new Netflix series!

https://www.facebook.com/netflixmotu...33953158095852

"
    Q: "It’s nice that Mattel has this much faith in you and the property to give it this big push. I assume there’s going to be a toyline that’s going to be supporting what you’re doing, right?”

A: “Yes. And that’s also something as we go through all of the design process now, as we look at designs. I’m a showrunner. But it’s not like “You make every single decision Kevin”. Because I defer to them on the look. I’ll tell them what I like in terms of the look, but I’m like, this is what appeals to me, but you guys have to turn this into toys. So, Mattel always kind of has the last word and stuff. I’m like okay that design, is it because, hell yeah they’re going to go on and make a new line of toys based on this.”

The interview from Compound Media can be found here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4h_vCFswTc

Facebook.com/netflixmoturevelation/
    Facebook.com/groups/moturevelation
    "
    In the interview, Kevin also recognized that She-Ra will have some role in the show, and said that this could be something to look at in a potential second season, along with a possible He-Man and She-Ra Christmas Special. It's worth noting that Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy have teased that they're going to have voice acting roles in the series, so the show is bound to get loads of attention with all of its star power.

Will the new Revelation action figures be designed as a secondary line of Origins figures, or will Mattel choose to model them after the Classics figures? Or will the this line have a whole new look? Kevin offered indications in the interview that the show would look very similar to the Filmation cartoon series.

And how will Mattel plan to offer those new action figures when they're also marketing Origins? Mattel had said that Classics is "sleeping" and that it would have been difficult for both Origins and Classics to live on retails shelves at the same time. Meanwhile, they have now two Netflix series in the works, in addition to the She-Ra series, and a live action Netflix movie is in the works, which will undoubtedly have it own action figure line. It's a true renaissance for MOTU!

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    An interview with Kevin Smith has been spotted that was recorded shortly after the annual Power-Con event in LA in 2019, in which he confirms that Mattel is working on a new line of figures depicting characters from his new Netflix series!

"
    Q: "It’s nice that Mattel has this much faith in you and the property to give it this big push. I assume there’s going to be a toyline that’s going to be supporting what you’re doing, right?”

A: “Yes. And that’s also something as we go through all of the design process now, as we look at designs. I’m a showrunner. But it’s not like “You make every single decision Kevin”. Because I defer to them on the look. I’ll tell them what I like in terms of the look, but I’m like, this is what appeals to me, but you guys have to turn this into toys. So, Mattel always kind of has the last word and stuff. I’m like okay that design, is it because, hell yeah they’re going to go on and make a new line of toys based on this.”

"
    In the interview, Kevin also recognized that She-Ra will have some role in the show, and said that this could be something to look at in a potential second season, along with a possible He-Man and She-Ra Christmas Special. It's worth noting that Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy have teased that they're going to have voice acting roles in the series, so it's bound to get loads of attention with all of its star power.

Will the new Revelation action figures be designed as a secondary line of Origins figures, or will Mattel choose to model them after the Classics figures? Or will the this line have a whole new look? Kevin offered indications in the interview that the show would look very similar to the Filmation cartoon series.

And how will Mattel plan to offer those new action figures when they're also marketing Origins? Mattel had said that Classics is "sleeping" and that it would have been difficult for both Origins and Classics to live on retails shelves at the same time. Meanwhile, they have now two Netflix series in the works, in addition to the She-Ra series, and a live action Netflix movie is in the works, which will undoubtedly have it own action figure line. It's a true renaissance for MOTU!
    I read it too and got excited just reading it. Since it continues the original cartoon I’m wondering if it will either continue Club Grayskull OR if it will be the same as Origins on the same interchangeable buck but with the cartoon heads etc. It will likely be the most cost effective option anyway. And it won’t confuse the retail market if it is the same scale but clearly different looking figures the same way the WWE figures are now. Now these I may collect.

Perhaps, the new Origins line is the line he is talking about all along and that there are no new toy line separate from Origins/Masters?
    Boomer Sooner!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I probably won't buy into this unless it's Origins compatible, the heads and weapons at least scale nicely with Origins, or I end up loving the show.

Please be like Classics
    Load the spaceships with the rocket fuel!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjaer21 View Post
    Perhaps, the new Origins line is the line he is talking about all along and that there are no new toy line separate from Origins/Masters?
    That's what I'm thinking too. Just different packaging for the toon or movie figures.

Heroic Warrior
    I hope that's the case

I can't imagine that they would splurge on unique tooling or scale for this secondary line. I'd be shocked if they didn't utilize an existing buck and parts library, whether it's Origins, Classics, or Club Grayskull.

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Yeah, I think he is referring to Origins.

The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    Ideally (at least for some of us lol!), since the show is aimed at older fans/viwers, it would be great if they repurposed Classics molds/sculpts! But more likely, it's either the already established Origins line or possibly some reworking of it.
    Last edited by kolobosrexx; February 7, 2020 at 06:41pm.
    ..."Conceived in a Hell Beyond Your Depth of Perception... Designed and Directed by His Red Right Hand."
    ...Seriously looking for a gray Sir Laser-Lot sword from the Final Wars weapon-pack!!

Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    Hope they meld with the Classics/Club Grayskull figures!!!

Huge fan, but I can't bring myself to buy the Origins stuff. Seems so inferior after Classics...

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull Guardsman View Post
    Hope they meld with the Classics/Club Grayskull figures!!!

Huge fan, but I can't bring myself to buy the Origins stuff. Seems so inferior after Classics...
    On the other hand, you can buy three Origins figures for the price of one MOTUC figure, at your local store. No Digital River or Super7 to deal with.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Yeah, I think he is referring to Origins.
    Yeah, I agree.
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

Heroic Warrior
    I like to think that the Origins line will be closer in look to the CGI reboot of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Netflix series even though the sword and harness is different in the cartoon. Unless Origins is the Revelations' action figure line and there's another toyline coming for the CGI reboot...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    On the other hand, you can buy three Origins figures for the price of one MOTUC figure, at your local store. No Digital River or Super7 to deal with.

On the other hand, with Origins, I'm getting smaller figures with less accessories, but at least they come with mini-comics. That's the only selling point to me for this "inferior to Classics" line

Quote Originally Posted by grenadaspice View Post
    I like to think that the Origins line will be closer in look to the CGI reboot of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Netflix series even though the sword and harness is different in the cartoon. Unless Origins is the Revelations' action figure line and there's another toyline coming for the CGI reboot...

- - - Updated - - -

On the other hand, with Origins, I'm getting smaller figures with less accessories, but at least they come with mini-comics. That's the only selling point to me for this "inferior to Classics" line
    If it's inferior, why collect it?
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

I imagine the Revelations line will be in-line with (or will simply be) Origins.

I'm thinking the other toon's toy line could be something more kid-oriented, less pose-able, and dedicated to the style of that show.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Heroic Warrior
    Judging by the posters we've seen for the CGI show, I think the minis will serve as the tie in line. Although, I hope we get Origins figures of some of the new designs. Like, the more variety the better imo.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post

"

"
    In the interview, Kevin also recognized that She-Ra will have some role in the show, and said that this could be something to look at in a potential second season, along with a possible He-Man and She-Ra Christmas Special. It's worth noting that Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy have teased that they're going to have voice acting roles in the series, so the show is bound to get loads of attention with all of its star power.

I’ve always said that Mattel has never been one to pass up mold reuse. Even IF Classics is “sleeping”, that doesn’t rule out them reusing the bucks or taking the opportunity to update the tooling a little.

I’d venture Classics-style one offs of major characters, maybe just 2-4 to start alongside probably some representation in Origins after wave 5 or 6.

You know, throw a new He-Man and Skeletor out on Classics bucks as part of a holiday display, see how they do. Do more and adapt the designs to Origins and Minis if it’s a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    I’ve always said that Mattel has never been one to pass up mold reuse. Even IF Classics is “sleeping”, that doesn’t rule out them reusing the bucks or taking the opportunity to update the tooling a little.
    Entirely possible.

Don't molds cost several thousand dollars to produce? I could absolutely see Mattel using Classics molds again. As people have pointed out, not every single MOTU fan in the world has an entire Classics collection. Many people found out about the line years after it debuted. Some folks simply refused to sell their kidneys or their children in order to afford 'rare' figures on eBay.

If Mattel goes that route, lots of people would jump at slightly tweaked Classics figures.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; February 14, 2020 at 04:09pm.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    Entirely possible.

Don't molds cost several thousand dollars to produce? I could absolutely see Mattel using Classics molds again. As people have pointed out, not every single MOTU fan in the world has an entire Classics collection. Many people found out about the line years after it debuted. Some folks simply refused to sell their kidneys or their children in order to afford 'rare' figures on eBay.

If Mattel goes that route, lots of people would jump at slightly tweaked Classics figures.
    True, honest-to-God hand-finished steel molds run anywhere from $20k-$50k and up per mold, depending upon the number of cavities. That's one steel mold for a left arm. One steel mold for a right arm. One for the torso/back. Two for the legs. One for the head, etc. You'll see now why there are so many figures that suffer from parts reuse.

Limited use, low-run rubber injection molds can be produced for 3-5 grand. These are bottom of the barrel options and good for no more than 5-10k individual parts.

Aluminum is a good middle ground. They start out at around $10k and can be used much more than rubber molds, but much less than steel. Detail is not as fine as steel but slightly better than rubber.

Two of the factories that produced the bulk of MOTUC specialized in aluminum molds, so I would suspect that the majority of MOTUC figures utilized aluminum molds. High volume, repeated use items probably had steel molds (for example, one arm or foot, or certain accessories that could be used millions of times).

The thing about aluminum and rubber molds is that due to their relative cheapness to produce and fairly short lifespan, they get tossed out after a production run. It would cost a company like Mattel more to store an aluminum or rubber mold than it would to just create a new one. They already have the designs complete, it's just a matter of sending the pantograph specs to the moldmaker.

Steel molds however rarely meet the end of their lifespan. Even after billions and billions of uses, if the mold starts showing wear, it can be hand-tooled back to (nearly) original specs and put back into service. It's in a company's best interest to store steel molds, which is why I believe we're seeing an exact clone of certain Classics items in Origins.

Classics Castle Grayskull would have no doubt had a high degree of steel molding made for it, given its detail and fit. It's hard to make a playset for action figures out of an aluminum mold, as the detail just isn't fine enough and functionality stands to be lost if items don't fit together properly.

With Super7 handling Snake Mountain, it's very likely that the molds will be (at best) aluminum. Super7 has been/is known for utilizing the cheapest producers in China, so we're talking rubber injection molds and generally terrible fit and finish for the price. If Mattel ever gets around to doing Snake Mountain, it's probably not going to be on the same molds Super7 used. They may use the design to produce a new steel mold, but at that point, I would venture to guess they'd just do a fresh redesign.

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I imagine the Revelations line will be in-line with (or will simply be) Origins.

I'm thinking the other toon's toy line could be something more kid-oriented, less pose-able, and dedicated to the style of that show.
    Agreed.

I'm thinking something similar to Mattel's Batman the Brave and the Bold line of figures. Everyone of them had massive parts reuse and a line-wide gimmick that worked with every figure and vehicle... plus, the line was squarely aimed at younger fans and priced that way too.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Night Stalker, I tip my winged helmet to you! That was one heck of an interesting and informative read!
    Odd Man Out

The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    ...It's not terribly likely, but re-issuing the characters being confirmed in the voice-cast list for the show in "Classics" style, but with new heads/deco based on the show-style would be quite ideal, even as Walmart exclusives to retail!
    ..."Conceived in a Hell Beyond Your Depth of Perception... Designed and Directed by His Red Right Hand."
    ...Seriously looking for a gray Sir Laser-Lot sword from the Final Wars weapon-pack!!

I think Kevin is just referring to Origins too IMHO.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    Night Stalker, I tip my winged helmet to you! That was one heck of an interesting and informative read!
    Thank you sir! I appreciate your posts as well.