Thread: New Adventures of He-Man review blog

New Adventures of He-Man review blog

Hello everyone. I'm starting uncharted territory here - as far as I know, there's no other blog reviewing the episodes of the New Adventures of He-Man. So buckle up tight and let's go to Primus, starting with A New Beginning!

https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/2020...new-beginning/
    Check out my Masters of the Universe cartoon review site at https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/!

I would have liked to have seen Beastman instead of new character Andros (sheep man leader). The animation choices are puzzling. I don't know why they would go with purple hair for Marlena. Why not a normal hair color? I also wonder whose call was it to give Skeletor eyes when Filmation and neither the old or new toyline gave him them. Were Mattel or Jetlag trying to make him less scary to children or were the animators just doing whatever they wanted? My biggest problems with the show are the animation choices rather than storylines which were good for the most part. It was an enjoyable show overall. The only thing I didn't particularly care for storyline-wise were the scientists. There were a few episodes one or two of them were ok in when they were not used for over the top comedy relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I would have liked to have seen Beastman instead of new character Andros (sheep man leader). The animation choices are puzzling. I don't know why they would go with purple hair for Marlena. Why not a normal hair color? I also wonder whose call was it to give Skeletor eyes when Filmation and neither the old or new toyline gave him them. Were Mattel or Jetlag trying to make him less scary to children or were the animators just doing whatever they wanted? My biggest problems with the show are the animation choices rather than storylines which were good for the most part. It was an enjoyable show overall. The only thing I didn't particularly care for storyline-wise were the scientists. There were a few episodes one or two of them were ok in when they were not used for over the top comedy relief.
    Agreed on pretty much all points - a cameo for Beast Man would have been nice, Marlena's purple hair is baffling, and the scientists are infuriating. Skeletor's eyes are initially a bit distracting, but I don't mind them too much. The storylines in the series are often pretty good - though as I recall, there's quite a dip in quality in the middle of the series, and also a fair bit of deus ex machina which gets on my nerves a little. But overall, it's a decent show.
    Check out my Masters of the Universe cartoon review site at https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/!

Quote Originally Posted by OwenMorton View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm starting uncharted territory here - as far as I know, there's no other blog reviewing the episodes of the New Adventures of He-Man. So buckle up tight and let's go to Primus, starting with A New Beginning!

Awesome work. Always liked NA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Awesome work. Always liked NA.
    Thanks! I like it too, though not as much as the other series. I kind of feel that it might have been better if it weren't a He-Man series, because that would free it from the baggage of being so jarringly different from Filmation.

But then, if it weren't a He-Man series, I wouldn't be reviewing it, so there we go...

Thanks! I like it too, though not as much as the other series. I kind of feel that it might have been better if it weren't a He-Man series, because that would free it from the baggage of being so jarringly different from Filmation.

But then, if it weren't a He-Man series, I wouldn't be reviewing it, so there we go...
    I like them all. I only seen the Filmation cartoon a couple times on TV and had a video cassette of The Cat and the Spider episode but at thhat time the New Adventures toys just started coming out and being on TV. Only a couple shops around here still had the Masters of the Universe toys and I got them but also NA toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I like them all. I only seen the Filmation cartoon a couple times on TV and had a video cassette of The Cat and the Spider episode but at thhat time the New Adventures toys just started coming out and being on TV. Only a couple shops around here still had the Masters of the Universe toys and I got them but also NA toys.
    Was that the video that came in the pink/purple sleeve? I used to have that!

Yeah, for me I was already considering myself too grown-up for He-Man (at the advanced age of 7) when the New Adventures came out. So the change in style kind of prompted me to lose what little interest I had left. I remember my dad went on a work trip to America and brought me back a Hydron figure, but that was the only NA toy I ever got.

Was that the video that came in the pink/purple sleeve? I used to have that!

Yeah, for me I was already considering myself too grown-up for He-Man (at the advanced age of 7) when the New Adventures came out. So the change in style kind of prompted me to lose what little interest I had left. I remember my dad went on a work trip to America and brought me back a Hydron figure, but that was the only NA toy I ever got.
    Yes the purple sleeve. I still have the colouring book that came with it.

My older cousin was quite into He-Man toys and it was through seeing his I got into them. I really liked his Skeletor (Battle Armour) and wanted one but they weren't really available and I recall one day in the car waiting in the car with my Mum while my Dad ran into the toy shop and he came got me a New Adventures Skeleotr which I loved and had for years until it feel apart from constant play. Had about a dozen NA figures and the Astro-Sub and the Terror Claw.

I still have the tape cassette that came with NA He-Man and a few of the UK Adventure comics.

Master of New Adventures!
    You might enjoy this and perhaps find it helpful:

http://masterscast.com/2007/01/28/ma...st-episode-25/

Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; February 16, 2020 at 05:15pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    You might enjoy this and perhap[s find it helpful:

http://masterscast.com/2007/01/28/ma...st-episode-25/
    Thanks Jack - I will give that a listen!

There's also a lot of information to be gleaned from fans' questions in my NA thread. Btw, I'd be happy to contribute anything to your blog that you feel might be of help.

Thanks Jack - I will give that a listen!

There's also a lot of information to be gleaned from fans' questions in my NA thread. Btw, I'd be happy to contribute anything to your blog that you feel might be of help.
    Hi Jack - that's really kind, thank you so much.

I actually wrote the reviews several years ago now, at a rate of two per day, and have been storing them up to fit with the weekly release schedule on my blog. So it's very much from the perspective of me learning about the series as I go along. I have read the 'questions and answers' thread - or some of it, it's very long! - but I'm trying as much as possible to present the blog as a "first time through" kind of experience.

Once the full series of reviews is published (probably about next April or May, at a guess), I'd be very keen to take you up on your offer. The last blog entry on NA will be a kind of series summary including my list of 5 favourite and least favourite episodes, and it might be fun to get your perspective on that - see where you agree and disagree? But obviously depending on whether you have time when it comes to it!

I always have time for fans.

Good luck on your blog.

Hi Jack - that's really kind, thank you so much.

I actually wrote the reviews several years ago now, at a rate of two per day, and have been storing them up to fit with the weekly release schedule on my blog. So it's very much from the perspective of me learning about the series as I go along. I have read the 'questions and answers' thread - or some of it, it's very long! - but I'm trying as much as possible to present the blog as a "first time through" kind of experience.

Once the full series of reviews is published (probably about next April or May, at a guess), I'd be very keen to take you up on your offer. The last blog entry on NA will be a kind of series summary including my list of 5 favourite and least favourite episodes, and it might be fun to get your perspective on that - see where you agree and disagree? But obviously depending on whether you have time when it comes to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    There's a copyright aspect to consider. Had they used Marlena and other characters as they were - L'Oreal (owner of the Filmation library at that time) would've been able to sue them.

And this is something that might even affect MOTU Revelations show. If they don't get the rights from NBC Universal (the current owner), characters will have to be at least 25% different.
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

Marlena with brown or orange hair still would have looked different enough and still not as close as Randor was to his original look.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    There's a copyright aspect to consider. Had they used Marlena and other characters as they were - L'Oreal (owner of the Filmation library at that time) would've been able to sue them.

And this is something that might even affect MOTU Revelations show. If they don't get the rights from NBC Universal (the current owner), characters will have to be at least 25% different.
    I assume characters will resemble their toy/Origins counterparts. So Randor might have his armor, and Marlena might end up looking like she did in the vintage minicomics.

Nice to see a New Adventures focused blog!

I've recently started watching the show and I'm surprised that they changed Skeletor's design and voice acting style after a couple of episodes, just when I got used to initial interesting new take. Character designs are very nice and animation quality is so impressive (details and shading are insane). I only dislike He-Man's butt-chin.
    P.S. Men are thicc on this show.
    Last edited by Chris85; February 20, 2020 at 02:55am.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
    I've recently started watching the show and I'm surprised that they changed Skeletor's design and voice acting style after a couple of episodes, just when I got used to initial interesting new take. Character designs are very nice and animation quality is so impressive (details and shading are insane). I only dislike He-Man's butt-chin.
    P.S. Men are thicc on this show.
    I kind of assumed that the original Skeletor design was meant to be like his Filmation version, and that the plan all along was to work towards the new look debuted in Sword and Staff. I also imagine that it was possible to buy both versions as action figures (someone help me out here to confirm?), and if that's the case then I actually kind of appreciate that both featured in the cartoon. Personally, I never wanted the Battle-Armour He-Man or Flying Fists He-Man or the other myriad He-Men figures, because they didn't fit with the cartoons I was watching. If they had appeared on Filmation, I might have wanted them more.

Though, having said that, the Samurai Armour, Ice Armour, Snake Armour, etc He-Men on MYP didn't make me buy those figures. So chances are I don't know what point I'm trying to make here...

The blog is really fun. A nice exchange of ideas and viewpoints from posters. I'm shocked there's not a NA hater among them. Come on, NA haters -- you've gotten your heads-up! Get on the blog!

The blog is really fun. A nice exchange of ideas and viewpoints from posters. I'm shocked there's not a NA hater among them. Come on, NA haters -- you've gotten your heads-up! Get on the blog!
    Thanks for the endorsement, Jack, and thanks also for taking the time to read it!

As for haters... well, I'm by no means an NA hater - but to warn you, I don't hold back when I don't like an episode (as demonstrated several times in my reviews of Filmation)...

But equally, when I like an ep, I'll happily praise it. (Sneak preview: I think Four Ways to Sundown is one of the best and most imaginative eps in the franchise.)

Please NEVER hold back! Look, no quarterback throws a perfect pass every time. I know what I do well. I'm always looking for areas where I can improve. That's called growth.

We're on the same page regarding Sundown.

Thanks for the endorsement, Jack, and thanks also for taking the time to read it!

As for haters... well, I'm by no means an NA hater - but to warn you, I don't hold back when I don't like an episode (as demonstrated several times in my reviews of Filmation)...

But equally, when I like an ep, I'll happily praise it. (Sneak preview: I think Four Ways to Sundown is one of the best and most imaginative eps in the franchise.)

Just updating here with links to the most recent reviews:

Episode 2 - Quest for the Crystals - https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/2020...-the-crystals/

Episode 3 - The Heat - https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/2020...e-03-the-heat/

Episode 4 - Attack on Onnor - https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/2020...tack-on-onnor/

Episode 5 - The Ultimate Challenge - https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/2020...ate-challenge/

- - - Updated - - -

First regular episode of the series, and it's a winner: Sword & Staff.

https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/2020...6-sword-staff/

Widget
    I also imagine that it was possible to buy both versions as action figures (someone help me out here to confirm?), and if that's the case then I actually kind of appreciate that both featured in the cartoon.
    Can confirm, the first skeletor is the original NA Skeletor, the second is Disks of doom skeletor.

Spoiler:

He changes to Battle blade skeletor later in the series (the third NA skeletor toy.) I loved this, that the show evolves him through his different toy looks. Not sure if they did the same thing with he-man because the he-man NA varients were a lot more similar in look than skeletor - and also more boring!

Also great blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrskeletor View Post
    Can confirm, the first skeletor is the original NA Skeletor, the second is Disks of doom skeletor.

Spoiler:

Also great blog!
    Ah thanks, I assumed that would be the case. I never had any of the NA toys - except Hydron, for some reason - so don't know anything about them.

Glad you're enjoying the blog!