Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sonic the Movie

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Who else remembers the games back in the 90s and the SatAM Sonic animated show? i did since i was 11 when i played the games at Sears in 92 and collected the Sonic comic since and got the Genesis for my 12th birthday back in 93 and watched/taped the SatAM show when i was 12.
    When I first saw Satam I was amazed at the storyline. Pretty dark for a Saturday morning cartoon at the time. I remember it fondly. You can tell in the first season it was thrown together. No history as to where everyone came from. It was like ok here it is. They did explain a lot more in the second season with a more interwoven storyline. I was really miffed when the series got cancelled and on a cliffhanger nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by cryanmchsi View Post
    When I first saw Satam I was amazed at the storyline. Pretty dark for a Saturday morning cartoon at the time. I remember it fondly. You can tell in the first season it was thrown together. No history as to where everyone came from. It was like ok here it is. They did explain a lot more in the second season with a more interwoven storyline. I was really miffed when the series got cancelled and on a cliffhanger nonetheless.
    Me too when i saw it and been one of my fave animated shows and not to mention, it had the feel of Star Wars even He-Man/She-Ra and MTV's Aeon Flux in it.

And who knew Urkle was Sonic's voice as i knew his voice sounded familiar then saw the credits and whoa it was him and of course Chip from Beauty and the Beast the movie Bradley Pierce was the voice of Tails.

And Sally Acorn i thought was a babe when i was 12 along with Lupe as they were some of the finest furry chicks of the time along with Cleo from Heathcliff, Minerva Mink from Animaniacs, Julie Bruin from Tiny Toon Adventures, Mress from Star Trek TAS, Lola Bunny, Callie Briggs from Swat Kats, mutated Selina Kyle from that Batman TAS episode (of course Catwoman is lovely no matter how she looks), Kit Mambo from Animalympics, Felicia from Darkstalkers games to all the way to Cheetara/Pumarya on Thundercats, LOL.

Have the Shout Factory DVD collection.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Heroic Warrior
    I have the series on DVD as well. I had Sent one of the episode guides to someone who was going to a con to have Jim Cummings to sign. I am going up to a con in Knoxville where Jeleel White is signing in July.

QUOTE=HarryCanyon;3874426]Me too when i saw it and been one of my fave animated shows and not to mention, it had the feel of Star Wars even He-Man/She-Ra and MTV's Aeon Flux in it.

And who knew Urkle was Sonic's voice as i knew his voice sounded familiar then saw the credits and whoa it was him and of course Chip from Beauty and the Beast the movie Bradley Pierce was the voice of Tails.

And Sally Acorn i thought was a babe when i was 12 along with Lupe as they were some of the finest furry chicks of the time along with Cleo from Heathcliff, Minerva Mink from Animaniacs, Julie Bruin from Tiny Toon Adventures, Mress from Star Trek TAS, Lola Bunny, Callie Briggs from Swat Kats, mutated Selina Kyle from that Batman TAS episode (of course Catwoman is lovely no matter how she looks), Kit Mambo from Animalympics, Felicia from Darkstalkers games to all the way to Cheetara/Pumarya on Thundercats, LOL.

Have the Shout Factory DVD collection.[/QUOTE]

I still remember how fiendish SatAM Robotnik felt. I wish they'd kept Kluck simply because of how much more sinister it helped make him.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

I enjoyed the movie. I can't say I'm impressed or that it was groundbreaking (I found it very predictable), and what I found saved it was Sonic's "redesign" and Jim Carey's performance. I'm not sure how I feel about how they used the rings. Even my son (9) turned to me and said that it was a very "Hollywoodized" Sonic. I did appreciate the mid credits reveal.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    I enjoyed the movie. I can't say I'm impressed or that it was groundbreaking (I found it very predictable), and what I found saved it was Sonic's "redesign" and Jim Carey's performance. I'm not sure how I feel about how they used the rings. Even my son (9) turned to me and said that it was a very "Hollywoodized" Sonic. I did appreciate the mid credits reveal.
    I don't know... I kind of like the way they implemented the rings in the movie.

Remember in the original games, Sonic would jump through a ring portal to get to the different dimensions that held the chaos emeralds...

They were even a big part of the long-running comic series as well:

I thought it was a nice homage in the movie.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Of course. I say I want a Tails spin-off, so naturally Paramount begins eyeballing Knuckles for one:

We Got This Covered: Paramount Reportedly Wants A Sonic The Hedgehog Spinoff For Knuckles.
    https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...noff-knuckles/

Have to wonder, after the whole business with Archie some years ago, does this send alarm bells off in Sega's collective heads?

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Of course. I say I want a Tails spin-off, so naturally Paramount begins eyeballing Knuckles for one:

We Got This Covered: Paramount Reportedly Wants A Sonic The Hedgehog Spinoff For Knuckles.
    https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...noff-knuckles/

Have to wonder, after the whole business with Archie some years ago, does this send alarm bells off in Sega's collective heads?
    We Got This Covered lies for traffic. I can guarantee there is no truth to this. All their "scoops" are made up fabrications.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    We Got This Covered lies for traffic. I can guarantee there is no truth to this. All their "scoops" are made up fabrications.
    Somehow I knew this, but I still couldn't help but find it funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I don't know... I kind of like the way they implemented the rings in the movie.

Remember in the original games, Sonic would jump through a ring portal to get to the different dimensions that held the chaos emeralds...

http://www.soniczone0.com/games/soni...lstageimg1.png https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20130406162908 https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20100523080334

https://portforward.com/games/walkth...1-large-16.jpg

They were even a big part of the long-running comic series as well:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20151009120312 https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20130519193825

I thought it was a nice homage in the movie.
    Your correct, the film's rings were a nod to what they can do in the games.

So I've been going back through my catalogue of games and discovering all of the Sonic titles that I've neglected...

I started playing Sonic Forces, and holy cow! This game is fantastic. It is one of the most fun games that I've played in a long time... just a really well-polished, old school action/adventure.

Pay absolutely no attention to the negative reviews this game received... I can assure you, it is far better than what they would have you believe.

If you are a Sonic fan, and enjoyed Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations and Sonic Lost World, this game is next installment in the "modern Sonic" era of games.

Highly recommended!

So I've been going back through my catalogue of games and discovering all of the Sonic titles that I've neglected...

I started playing Sonic Forces, and holy cow! This game is fantastic. It is one of the most fun games that I've played in a long time... just a really well-polished, old school action/adventure.

https://mcdn.wallpapersafari.com/medium/6/15/eJwWFt.jpg

Pay absolutely no attention to the negative reviews this game received... I can assure you, it is far better than what they would have you believe.

If you are a Sonic fan, and enjoyed Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations and Sonic Lost World, this game is next installment in the "modern Sonic" era of games.

Highly recommended!
    It was a better game than the reviews made it seem, I especially liked the music, particularly Fading World and Infinite's theme. I do wish they'd done better with the characters in story, and the avatar was a bit on the sloppy side, especially with so many other characters they could have put forward (that and no matter which you chose he never seemed to emote). But I definitely liked the challenges particularly getting the numbered rings. Did you play the Shadow DLC?

It was a better game than the reviews made it seem, I especially liked the music, particularly Fading World and Infinite's theme. I do wish they'd done better with the characters in story, and the avatar was a bit on the sloppy side, especially with so many other characters they could have put forward (that and no matter which you chose he never seemed to emote). But I definitely liked the challenges particularly getting the numbered rings. Did you play the Shadow DLC?
    I haven't played the Shadow episode yet... I'm trying for an S rank on every level and collecting all red star rings. It's actually turning out to be more challenging than I anticipated!

Also, I finished Sonic Generations 100% last night... man, that is a great game! I love the boss reveal at the end!

I haven't played the Shadow episode yet... I'm trying for an S rank on every level and collecting all red star rings. It's actually turning out to be more challenging than I anticipated!

Also, I finished Sonic Generations 100% last night... man, that is a great game! I love the boss reveal at the end!

https://thecurrentatahs.com/wp-conte...0x400_1x-0.jpg
    The Shadow DLC is short, but fun. I won't spoil anything else from there.

Personally I liked Lost World more than Generations, but the remixing of some of the older games' levels was definitely a fun point to it.

So now it seems that Dwayne Johnson is being considered to play Knuckles in Sonic 2 if it's made. Not sure how I feel about that. I like Rock, and I think his voice would sound good for Knuckles, but I fear him trying to make Knux's character act like Maui.
    And who can be the voice of Rouge or Shadow?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    And who can be the voice of Rouge or Shadow?
    Nathan Lane maybe?
    Last edited by Asher Tye; March 12, 2020 at 11:52pm.

Rouge: Scarlett Johansson

Shadow: Jason Statham (I think it would be fun!)

So it seems like Sonic's getting an early release for digital, and even a new animated short to go with it. Anyone else planning to see?

So it seems like Sonic's getting an early release for digital, and even a new animated short to go with it. Anyone else planning to see?
    I am definitely going to get the digital version.

I read about the extra commentary, bloopers and deleted scenes, but didn't see anything about a new animated short. That sounds awesome!

I am definitely going to get the digital version.

I read about the extra commentary, bloopers and deleted scenes, but didn't see anything about a new animated short. That sounds awesome!

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/C0kB...ff_032r2.0.jpg
    Oh yeah. Apparently its title "The Adventures of Sonic and Donut Lord."

Oh yeah. Apparently its title "The Adventures of Sonic and Donut Lord."
    Awesome!

Donut Lord... Pretzel Lady... Eggman, I love Sonic's nicknames for everyone!

Awesome!

Donut Lord... Pretzel Lady... Eggman, I love Sonic's nicknames for everyone!
    Makes you wonder if Tails's original nickname was "Minty Mechanic."

Personally I liked Lost World more than Generations, but the remixing of some of the older games' levels was definitely a fun point to it.
    I just went through the Steam version of Sonic Lost World.

I love this game! I forgot how good it actually was... I bought it on my Wii U when it was released, but kept comparing it to Mario Galaxy/Mario 3D World.

The mechanics are some of the best in any Sonic game, and the pacing is incredible. It is such a joy to play using all of his new moves like the double jump, parkour, wisp powers, and -yes- I even like the idea of a "run button." (Sonic purists are going to kill me...)

Plus, the PC version runs at a buttery-smooth 60 FPS in full 1080p! And, it is a goooooood looking game... even by today's standards.

If I had to rank my 10 favorite Sonic games, it would probably look like this:

10. Sonic Unleashed
    09. Sonic the Hedgehog
    08. Sonic Colors
    07. Sonic Lost World
    06. Sonic Generations
    05. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    04. Sonic Forces
    03. Sonic CD
    02. Sonic Mania
    01. Sonic 2

...wow, I feel like I'm really into Sonic again. Like I'm rediscovering him after two decades.

For me it goes

1) Sonic Mania - I know some will disagree, but even with nostalgia filters on, I still feel it became the Sonic game the classics deserved. That being said,
    2) Sonic 2 - Proper introduction of Tails, the creation of the Spin Dash, Eggy's machines started having a more epic feel to them, and the levels began demanding more attention as you picked the path to victory. Plus the halfpipe for the emeralds was kickin'.
    3) Sonic Adventure 2 - I still seek this is a great example of how to make a Sonic game with multiple story perspectives without letting it feel boring. And I loved the last level where you traded out character in order to take the fight to Biolizard.
    4) Sonic 3 and Knuckles - No one can ever say Sonic Team didn't have style back in the day, even if they kinda over use the Death Egg now. The new shields were a blast, Sonic himself felt faster, and they even made Tails more useful, to say nothing of being able to take new routes with Knuckles.
    5) Sonic Lost World - This felt much darker than Forces to me, honestly. Yeah the puzzle solving sections kinda slowed things down, but it helped add to the frustration the characters were feeling. And it was nice to see that Sonic isn't eternally cocky when his bad decisions do cause him grief.
    6) Sonic Battle - A spinoff game I know, but getting to beat bots up with martial arts moves was so fun I couldn't help but replay it.
    7) Sonic Generations - Much like Mania it has some fun remixes of old levels.
    8) Sonic Unleashed - Chip and the Werehog were low points for some, but I liked their levels a lot.
    9) Sonic Forces - A real step in the right direction, I simply wasn't a fan of the avatar. Frankly Sonic's cast is large enough if they needed someone to step up in Sonic's absence, they had more than a few to pick from without relying in a player created character.
    10) Sonic 4: Episode 2 - I still don't see why everyone was so down on this, I loved it. New boss battles, new moves. Not as good as the classics series it was honoring, but nowhere near the disaster some of the other games were.

Of course there were also the spinoffs that were fun to play, like Tails Adventure, Sonic Chronicles, and Drift.

For me it goes

1) Sonic Mania - I know some will disagree, but even with nostalgia filters on, I still feel it became the Sonic game the classics deserved. That being said,
    2) Sonic 2 - Proper introduction of Tails, the creation of the Spin Dash, Eggy's machines started having a more epic feel to them, and the levels began demanding more attention as you picked the path to victory. Plus the halfpipe for the emeralds was kickin'.
    3) Sonic Adventure 2 - I still seek this is a great example of how to make a Sonic game with multiple story perspectives without letting it feel boring. And I loved the last level where you traded out character in order to take the fight to Biolizard.
    4) Sonic 3 and Knuckles - No one can ever say Sonic Team didn't have style back in the day, even if they kinda over use the Death Egg now. The new shields were a blast, Sonic himself felt faster, and they even made Tails more useful, to say nothing of being able to take new routes with Knuckles.
    5) Sonic Lost World - This felt much darker than Forces to me, honestly. Yeah the puzzle solving sections kinda slowed things down, but it helped add to the frustration the characters were feeling. And it was nice to see that Sonic isn't eternally cocky when his bad decisions do cause him grief.
    6) Sonic Battle - A spinoff game I know, but getting to beat bots up with martial arts moves was so fun I couldn't help but replay it.
    7) Sonic Generations - Much like Mania it has some fun remixes of old levels.
    8) Sonic Unleashed - Chip and the Werehog were low points for some, but I liked their levels a lot.
    9) Sonic Forces - A real step in the right direction, I simply wasn't a fan of the avatar. Frankly Sonic's cast is large enough if they needed someone to step up in Sonic's absence, they had more than a few to pick from without relying in a player created character.
    10) Sonic 4: Episode 2 - I still don't see why everyone was so down on this, I loved it. New boss battles, new moves. Not as good as the classics series it was honoring, but nowhere near the disaster some of the other games were.

Of course there were also the spinoffs that were fun to play, like Tails Adventure, Sonic Chronicles, and Drift.
    I do like Sonic 4 episodes 1 and 2.

I never understood why they got so much criticism either... I think that they're incredibly fun and a good homage to the original trilogy.

Also, I have a really hard time going back to Sonic Adventure 1 & 2... they just feel very rigid to me. I do enjoy the story though.

For me, if I want to scratch the Sonic Adventure itch, I turn to Sonic Heroes. This game feels like a streamlined version of Sonic Adventure 2 made up entirely of boost levels. (Plus, the three-way team work is pretty cool.)