Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC videos from Toyguru on his own YouTube channel

Was the cat a limited edition release? I'm not able to find on eBay.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

building with MCX bricks Old Bolty-Neck's Avatar
    I don't want to see Pixel Dan do a review video where he demonstrates the cat's articulation
    Of course there are more important things than toys, cartoons, movies, comics, and so forth. That's obviously true. I assume this is an understanding shared by everyone here, and that therefore my participation in a discussion thread is not interpreted as a sign that I am lacking in the aforementioned understanding. Thank you for observing that courtesy.

My Mega Construx gallery

Quote Originally Posted by WalkerBoh View Post
    Wow there are some grumpy people coming out the woodwork. The curios thing is that despite their feelings towards Scott, they still watch his videos?

I find the videos interesting and give an insight as to what done to get as many figures as we did.
    I gave the video a shot and it was, in my opinion, trash. It looked like a power point presentation from the 90s. Sure, the insight might lead to some new and unique things coming to light from the line, but not enough for me to sit and try and watch another one of those poorly made videos. But to each their own. If you guys enjoy it, then great! He's hitting is target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    I gave the video a shot and it was, in my opinion, trash. It looked like a power point presentation from the 90s. Sure, the insight might lead to some new and unique things coming to light from the line, but not enough for me to sit and try and watch another one of those poorly made videos. But to each their own. If you guys enjoy it, then great! He's hitting is target audience.
    Thanks for sharing. We certainly wouldn’t have made it through without knowing that the presentation was not up to your standards.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    Thanks for sharing. We certainly wouldn’t have made it through without knowing that the presentation was not up to your standards.
    Last I checked, this was a forum and people share their opinions on them. Sorry my comments hurt you.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    Last I checked, this was a forum and people share their opinions on them. Sorry my comments hurt you.
    Sorry his video hurt yours.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

It may be a powerpoint, it may be a poorly edited video. Maybe thats not in his skill set and thats why the cat videos, So he can continually practice to make future videos better. Its about the content. I am enjoying learning about all the history and behind the scenes stuff and the thought process that went into making a line of toys I have spent thousands of dollars on. regardless of how well or bad the videos are, Scott was kind enough and had the confidence to share his experiences with us. With him being a brand manager, I'm sure he knows very well the quality of his videos, and he's putting them out there anyway. So, I for one, am enjoying them. Thank you Scott.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm okay with the production - aside from the attempt at inserting "funny" clips right smack in the middle of what he's saying. Otherwise, I find them informative and trips down Memory Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by unclassified View Post
    Sorry his video hurt yours.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    Haha ok man.

I’m finding them informative. What some of these guys most go through at big toy companies to get the things we want must be hell sometimes.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

These continue to be a fun trip down memory lane. I hope people are enjoying these because I want him to keep making them.

Widget
    i hope motu hits it big with all the netflix stuff and the movie.

hope its big enough for them to re release classics at retail ( after canceling origins) and get Toyguru back on the line. I really like how he managed the line from selection point of view but digital rivers was just the worse ( had enough of them after the castle grayskull fiasco and just dropped the line)

Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    Was the cat a limited edition release? I'm not able to find on eBay.
    What cat are y'all talking about?

Heroic Warrior
    If MOTU gets big enough at retail to rerelease Classics, I doubt they'd be so quick to cancel the line responsible for that, and I imagine that Britt Shots is going to be the person in charge of MOTU for however long this renaissance lasts. She's clearly passionate for the brand, and has a great track record with her work on the Jurassic World line (managing to create a brand resurgence in between installments of a franchise is no small feat). If anyone can push MOTU into the mainstream, it's her.

Wow, I can't believe I missed these videos. It's really cool that Scott is dropping these info dumps for us. I still kinda feel like it was probably time for Classics to go when it did but theres definitely a lot of cool things we missed out on.

The editing is not going to win any awards, but it's slowly improving, and more importantly, it gets the information across in a way that keeps a good pace and is not boring. I'm guessing he is using a free program, which would explain a lot of the technical issues.

But they have something that no amount of fancy editing will get you: first hand knowledge of how the line was run behind the scenes. These are a treasure trove, and have answers to questions fans have been asking for years (for example, tooling cost), and they will provide a great reference for years to come.

I found this episode especially interesting (Top 10 figures he wishes they got around to): https://youtu.be/aq2mSvNmJ78
    Last edited by SonOfHeMan; March 10, 2020 at 07:03pm.

I'm enjoying these videos and finding them really interesting. Though if he's trying to use these to push is new company then he really would benefit from them being a bit more polished. Even just using higher quality photos then the low res ones he's using would go along way IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfHeMan View Post

I found this episode especially interesting (Top 10 figures he wishes they got around to): https://youtu.be/aq2mSvNmJ78
    Yeah this one was interesting but out of all the figures he lists in this video there's only 2 or 3 I'd actually want, so personally I'm glad we didn't get them in the subscriptions. It's way to heavily loaded with new Classics mini-comic characters and variants IMO, which other than Lady Slither and Skeleteen I never really cared for.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Another bombshell, the 200x line was going to be rebooted in super articulated style: https://youtu.be/QQcl2k6oRtI

How would you have felt about this? As a supplemental line to Classics, I think it would have been great. If it replaced Classics, that would have been unfortunate.
    Last edited by SonOfHeMan; March 13, 2020 at 01:24pm.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfHeMan View Post
    Another bombshell, the 200x line was going to be rebooted in super articulated style: https://youtu.be/QQcl2k6oRtI

How would you have felt about this? As a supplemental line to Classics, I think it would have been great. If it replaced Classics, that would have been unfortunate.
    It would have been awesome. After 10 years of Classics (And I've been with it from the beginning. It's possibly my favorite toyline of all time) a fully articulated 200X uniquely sculpted toyline of the main guys including the Horde and Snakemen is the kick in the butt the property needed after 10 years.

As much as there are classics figures I still want, I'm kind of over classics. I was in love with the Filmation/Club Grayskull line because Filmation is my MOTU and it was NEW. Despite being around for 30 years, we'd never had Filmation figures before.

Quite frankly with the increased cost and some really obscure character selection, collecting classics had become just a habit or an obligation. The articulation of the base bodies needs an update after all this time.

Fully articulated 200x figures of Buzz-Off, Clawful, Webstor, Snake Face, Leech, Hordak would have been interesting enough figures on their own it would have had broader appeal in my opinion.

Beside, the MOTU Origins lines is yet another stab at super retro designs. I'm not sure how I feel about Origins yet, but I am tentatively planning to pick some of them up.

It's time to spice things up again. 200X would have done that. The monsters of the line are just begging for unique tooling.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; March 13, 2020 at 06:32pm.

I watched several of these the other day. Informative and enjoyable!

Heroic Warrior
    Anyone check out Scott's MOTUC Zodac video? Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Just watched it, thought it was pretty good. He needs to stop repeating jokes, once is enough.

For those that haven't watched it, he talked a little bit about the decision to make Zodac(k) black in 200X (to have more diversity.) Apparently, there was talk at Mattel back then about having Stratos be the "black" character.

I'd kind of like to know whose idea making the ape-man the "black" character was...

I love Zodac, so I gave this one a watch... but Scott's tone towards everything here is very cringe-inducing, not to mention some of the chosen images and content. I feel like he's gotten some of the facts muddled about how Zodac was presented at the beginning of the line and so it makes me take everything else he says with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by zodak74; March 19, 2020 at 03:41pm.

There's other videos that he's done that have more new information, but the Zodac video is still worth a watch
    Pretty interesting how they included Zodak's staff with the Zodac mold.
    Last edited by SonOfHeMan; March 19, 2020 at 05:23pm.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    He set it to a "kids video" type, and so I can't save it to watch after work. I'm sure there are a bunch of other disadvantages too. Scott, can you fix by not explicitly setting the video for kids only? Thank you.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX