Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Origins Trap Jaw

Heroic Warrior

MOTU Origins Trap Jaw

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8rRwKCAkpW/

It looks like he has an articulated robot arm, which he did not have at Powercon.

Now I like the body on this. The face sucks. It instills zero nostalgia for me. I keep looking at him wondering who this is supposed to be. I think to get the line I want I really need to just go back and get the 80s figures.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

The faces on the Origins figures continue to miss the mark. Honestly, the vintage figures had better sculpting than these. Mattel really needs to up their game.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

The positive - it looks like the furry shorts have been expanded a bit so that you don't see as much of the leg joints. But I agree, the face is a bit off.
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Heroic Warrior
    I think the eyes are the problem

Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    I think the eyes are the problem
    I love the eyes. I would like to see it with eyebrows just to compare.

I think he at least needs eyebrows. The eyes are creepy, I can see some people digging that, although I wouldn't have made that creative choice. Overall the figure looks very good.

I hope eventually they'll put out a minicomic variant as well.

I am not keen, not sure about the line at all, the vintage line kicked butt and I will only get origins that were not in the vintage line. I really want this line but it does seem to miss the mark. Insert sad emoji here

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Pretty odd looking.

This so far is the only figure I'm not 100% on board with, because something about him (is it the head? The legs? Both?) look quite "off" to me.
    That said, I loved watching him slide down the string by his hook in that video (it's the little things) and think that his arms (both the human one and the robotic one) and bright bold colors do look amazing.

Heroic Warrior
    ill def be buying all of these but they look bootleg to me

Oh yeah! Here he is! Trap Jaw was totally that figure I would carry with me everywhere as a kid. If there was a boring waiting room, Trap Jaw was there! And yes, I had to carry some string around so he could slide down on like in the video. The loop on top of his head was good for this as well as the hook arm. Can't wait for this one! But, seriously, he REALLY needs some eyebrows! The vintage, commemorative, Classics, Club Grayskull, Loyal Subjects, Reaction, Funko Pop, Super 7 TV Vintage - pretty much EVERY Trap Jaw ever released has eyebrows. Hopefully Mattel will fix this before they go to manufacturing. Surely they're paying attention to all of this constructive criticism. *Hint* *Hint* But, even if they don't I will definitely be painting on some eyebrows myself!

I actually like his new look, not as good as his Classics version , and a little bit creepier than his vintage self, but I'm okay with that. The body looks fine to me with his wonky proportions, and I'm ecstatic to have him in this style fully articulated.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

I love it.

The only figure I don’t care for so far is Skelly, to be honest. The open mouth looks strange to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mizterfish View Post
    I love it.

The only figure I don’t care for so far is Skelly, to be honest. The open mouth looks strange to me.

Yeah, he's a close second in my personal "mildly dislike" department... but I'm sure we'll see another head for him at some point that we can swap out.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah, I would worry if Trapjaw still looks like that at retail. Seeing this is a prototype I am sure Mattel will make changes to it.

I think the body looks fine, but there is something off about the face. Can't quite put my finger on it. I would like to see him with his mouth closed. Maybe that's the problem? They've opened his mouth too much?

Heroic Warrior
    His eyes being black with the yellow seems to be based on the original minicomic (same with the lack of eyebrows).

I've paused the video and had a good long look. The sculpt work in his face, particularly his brow area, is actually quite good. To my eyes at least, it looks as though the problem seems to be the mouth area. I think they've opened it too wide. As I said, I really want to see him with his mouth closed, or just slightly opened.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I've paused the video and had a good long look. The sculpt work in his face, particularly his brow area, is actually quite good. To my eyes at least, it looks as though the problem seems to be the mouth area. I think they've opened it too wide. As I said, I really want to see him with his mouth closed, or just slightly opened.
    https://www.he-man.org/assets/images...t-010_full.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    His lower jaw has a wider frame too, which makes the head looks a little larger than what we're used to.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Court Magician
    I think many people’s dislike of some of these figures is the fact that they’re expecting Classics proportions but we’re getting proportions closer to vintage— legs smaller than the torso for example, with Trap Jaw and Man-E.

See, to me, that looks much better. However, I do think they've made his jaw far too long and wide.

This line just isn’t exciting me in the slightest, feels so underwhelming after all the amazing product we’ve had over the last decade.
    Just feels like it’s bringing absolutely nothing new to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Fright Zone View Post
    This line just isn’t exciting me in the slightest, feels so underwhelming after all the amazing product we’ve had over the last decade.
    Just feels like it’s bringing absolutely nothing new to the table.
    Absolutely 100% agreed!
    ILLUMINA TIME! !