Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Origins Trap Jaw

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Fright Zone View Post
    This line just isn’t exciting me in the slightest, feels so underwhelming after all the amazing product we’ve had over the last decade.
    Just feels like it’s bringing absolutely nothing new to the table.
    What it's bringing, or hopes to bring, is a new generation of young 'uns clamoring for He-Man and the Masters of the Universe once the new CGI series hits Netflix, which I feel these Origin figures are related to. Hopefully with Kevin Smith's MOTU Revelation is released, we get new action figures for that series using the Classics buck.

I actually think he looks OK in this video. Not much of a close up (face looks fine to me from far) but you can see the proportions. The only thing that looks off to me is that the legs are too thin. I am by no means a defender of this line. I think most of the reveals we've seen have ranged from underwhelming to outright awful.

I love him...cannot freaking wait to buy at least three of them!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fright Zone View Post
    This line just isnít exciting me in the slightest, feels so underwhelming after all the amazing product weíve had over the last decade.
    Just feels like itís bringing absolutely nothing new to the table.
    It's so funny to read this. Origins has me more excited for MOTU than Classics ever did. These are my childhood figures...the ones I originally fell in love with, only better.
    Oh well, different folks like different things. Honestly, I'm a little tired of pricey adult collector figures myself...the most exciting thing about these for me is they're actually TOYS.

Aside from buying them for myself, I'll be picking up quite a few to donate to Toys-for-Tots this Christmas...spreading the He-Man love to a new generation!
    SKELETORTILLA...It's taco night at Snake Mountain!

Brilliant! Very close to the vintage figure but with more articulation. So far, Mattel is hitting the nail on the head with everything shown. I'm getting more and more excited after each new figure is revealed

I wonder if Trap Jaw comes with a Grayskull ring like the vintage package.
    PlayStation 4 owner? Join our Masters of the Universe community with 3k members.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    He looks pretty good, I think the lack of eyebrows are what's throwing off the head sculpt, also the the jaw wide open.

It's Toyfair this coming weekend, I wonder if we'll see the likes of Mer-Man, Tri-Klops, Stratos etc
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    I love him...cannot freaking wait to buy at least three of them!

- - - Updated - - -

It's so funny to read this. Origins has me more excited for MOTU than Classics ever did. These are my childhood figures...the ones I originally fell in love with, only better.
    Oh well, different folks like different things. Honestly, I'm a little tired of pricey adult collector figures myself...the most exciting thing about these for me is they're actually TOYS.

Aside from buying them for myself, I'll be picking up quite a few to donate to Toys-for-Tots this Christmas...spreading the He-Man love to a new generation!
    Worry not, or ignore the negativity. It's the same vocal minority who just love to complain, the same people complained about Motuc at the beginning.

Now like you said, we get a line which is very close to our beloved original vintage line (which made us all the MOTU fanatics we are now from begin with). I honestly can't see what's there legitimate to complain about. It's almost perfection, for collectors and of course for kids to get into Motu. The only thing better would be a 1:1 vintage copy.

Also: Your toy donation idea is VERY wholesome Heart at the right place.
    PlayStation 4 owner? Join our Masters of the Universe community with 3k members.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    The faces on the Origins figures continue to miss the mark. Honestly, the vintage figures had better sculpting than these. Mattel really needs to up their game.
    Well its no surprise since Ruben is the one making the figure design choices. You would think it would be a no brainer to get the vintage faces right
    So Glad Super7 has the Thundercats Lic. Looking forward to all they have to offer.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    I actually think he looks OK in this video. Not much of a close up (face looks fine to me from far) but you can see the proportions. The only thing that looks off to me is that the legs are too thin. I am by no means a defender of this line. I think most of the reveals we've seen have ranged from underwhelming to outright awful.
    Too thin? You mean like these legs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 0RK0 View Post
    Worry not, or ignore the negativity. It's the same vocal minority who just love to complain, the same people complained about Motuc at the beginning.

Now like you said, we get a line which is very close to our beloved original vintage line (which made us all the MOTU fanatics we are now from begin with). I honestly can't see what's there legitimate to complain about. It's almost perfection, for collectors and of course for kids to get into Motu. The only thing better would be a 1:1 vintage copy.

Also: Your toy donation idea is VERY wholesome Heart at the right place.
    Please donít think Iím following you but again you and others are in the classics forum. I have been for every motu incarnation released. Even if I donít collect them. Classics was great for me. I loved the neo-vintage figures super7 released. I had hoped these origins would be like that. I can get behind new articulation, and new heads. But the heads donít feel like the originals to me. Which is what I want. I wanted a castle like the vintage one, not a lazy classics dumbed down version. Mattel is trying to hard to please to many collectors and just turning some off in my opinion. Look at my posting history. Iím for everything. The fact I donít like them says a lot. I like everything.

Again maybe once toyfair sheds light in the details I may change my mind. Again the fact that the first releases are all so exclusive and expensive is a major turn off.

In closing, Iím taking a break from this forum. This is a classics forum and right now instead of enjoying (at this time) the ending of the line and the release of snake mountain. Iím being choked out by the origins fans who are shoving this down my throat. To the origins fans, I hope you like them, I hope they succeed. But Iím tired of feeling bad about not liking them and wanting more motuc....especially new adventures.

Call me old fashioned, call me over the hill. For me Star Wars ended on that moon of Endor and MOTU ends for me with snake mountain.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    Please don’t think I’m following you but again you and others are in the classics forum. I have been for every motu incarnation released. Even if I don’t collect them. Classics was great for me. I loved the neo-vintage figures super7 released. I had hoped these origins would be like that. I can get behind new articulation, and new heads. But the heads don’t feel like the originals to me. Which is what I want. I wanted a castle like the vintage one, not a lazy classics dumbed down version. Mattel is trying to hard to please to many collectors and just turning some off in my opinion. Look at my posting history. I’m for everything. The fact I don’t like them says a lot. I like everything.

Again maybe once toyfair sheds light in the details I may change my mind. Again the fact that the first releases are all so exclusive and expensive is a major turn off.

In closing, I’m taking a break from this forum. This is a classics forum and right now instead of enjoying (at this time) the ending of the line and the release of snake mountain. I’m being choked out by the origins fans who are shoving this down my throat. To the origins fans, I hope you like them, I hope they succeed. But I’m tired of feeling bad about not liking them and wanting more motuc....especially new adventures.

Call me old fashioned, call me over the hill. For me Star Wars ended on that moon of Endor and MOTU ends for me with snake mountain.
    That's your choice, and it's OK. There will always be people who don't like one thing or another. Honestly, Mattel shouldn't be held captive to internet fandom.
    Remember the 1980's?
    There was no internet. Mattel made whatever they felt like, however they felt like, they put it in the stores, and we bought it and no one complained.
    I mean can you IMAGINE kids in the 80's complaining about sculpts and articulation and case ratios? LOL
    BOY do I miss those days. The internet has certainly sucked some of the joy and magic out of it all.

That's your choice, and it's OK. There will always be people who don't like one thing or another. Honestly, Mattel shouldn't be held captive to internet fandom.
    Remember the 1980's?
    There was no internet. Mattel made whatever they felt like, however they felt like, they put it in the stores, and we bought it and no one complained.
    I mean can you IMAGINE kids in the 80's complaining about sculpts and articulation and case ratios? LOL
    BOY do I miss those days. The internet has certainly sucked some of the joy and magic out of it all.
    Well said! I couldn't agree more!! Your small anecdote fits for so many things happening these days, especially in social media.

Awesome trap jaw!

In closing, Iím taking a break from this forum. This is a classics forum and right now instead of enjoying (at this time) the ending of the line and the release of snake mountain. Iím being choked out by the origins fans who are shoving this down my throat. To the origins fans, I hope you like them, I hope they succeed. But Iím tired of feeling bad about not liking them and wanting more motuc....especially new adventures.
    Literally no one stops you from enjoying Motuc and the according threads for them. It is you (and others who do the same) who constantly visits Motu origins threads only to express your (their) dislike in the line. It's fine if you dislike them and state your opinion, you have every right to do so, but when you enter in every Motu origins thread and bringing negative vibes various times, you have to be prepared that people who are looking forward to origins, make their positive statements as well.
    If I personally don't like a thema or a line, I just avoid these threads and don't visit them only to spread my negativity in there.

Btw. Would be nice if Motu origins will get its own forum section in the future

Man you guys suck me right back in.

That was 40 years ago. Kids don’t want toys. They want electronics. We buy them toys, but they don’t want them. The internet gave us the toy explosion we have had. Motu would be dead without social media and websites. Yes we bought what Mattel threw at us. Now we have a hand in things, with toy companies blessings. Look at the polls the companies run, the interaction. They release just the sculpts so we can ask for changes. And sometimes those changes happen.

Complaining online helped end Matty, it also gave us a castle that he-man does not have to crawl through. The bad comes with the good. The 80s were fun, but I live in 2020. I spend a lot on toys so you better believe I will have voice in what I like and don’t. I can’t imagine how little we would have with out these toy sites. Now I will disclose I have no social media. I don’t care what you had for lunch or you your favorite politician is. I look at my wife’s account for those delightful 2 minute food recipe videos. Lord I love those. Anyway take the bad with the good. But as long as some fans think others are dancing on the grave of classics this forum is not the place for origins. After toy fair I see of no reason to see these here anymore. If they connected at all fine. But the figures will not fit in.

I hope origins succeeds. But I have no interest in it. I want to come to a classics forum.

- - - Updated - - -

Literally no one stops you from enjoying Motuc and the according threads for them. It is you (and others who do the same) who constantly visits Motu origins threads only to express your (their) dislike in the line. It's fine if you dislike them and state your opinion, you have every right to do so, but when you enter in every Motu origins thread and bringing negative vibes various times, you have to be prepared that people who are looking forward to origins, make their positive statements as well.
    If I personally don't like a thema or a line, I just avoid these threads and don't visit them only to spread my negativity in there.

Btw. Would be nice if Motu origins will get its own forum section in the future
    If I post classics news in a different forum, I would expect those in that forum to reply. I’m hoping some criticism will prompt some changes in the figures. The trap jaw I saw at power on was quite good looking. This one lost me. My hope is the line does well and maybe some vehicles or playsets could work with classics. I’m hopeful classics comes back by way of super7 and yes it can happen...look at thundercats. I’m just saying I’m your average motu cheerleader. If your losing me, well.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

I hope origins succeeds. But I have no interest in it. I want to come to a classics forum.
    And yet, you are what it feels like in every Motu origins thread to express your dislike in the line... again and again.

I believe once the first unboxing videos appear or you'll see them on the shelf in a store, you will eventually cave in, nostalgia kicks in and you're on board with them. They are just too similar to the vintage line to dislike them.

And yet, you are what it feels like in every Motu origins thread to express your dislike in the line... again and again.

I believe once the first unboxing videos appear or you'll see them on the shelf in a store, you will eventually cave in, nostalgia kicks in and you're on board with them. They are just too similar to the vintage line to dislike them.
    Not only that, but this group is FAR from the only people interested in Origins. I belong to the Mego Museum as well. Totally different collector mindset. They're not into super detailed, super articulated figures. They prefer simple toys that look like toys, and excitement for Origins is pretty high over there. They've posted every reveal so far, and most have expressed interest in buying them.

Not only that, but this group is FAR from the only people interested in Origins. I belong to the Mego Museum as well. Totally different collector mindset. They're not into super detailed, super articulated figures. They prefer simple toys that look like toys, and excitement for Origins is pretty high over there. They've posted every reveal so far, and most have expressed interest in buying them.
    That's always been the pitfall of internet forums. Typically, the longer a forum has stuck around, it becomes overwhelmed by the echo chamber of groupthink. (That's not an indictment of this forum in particular, it's a negative aspect of all forums in general.)

Prior to the advancement of things like Reddit or Social Media, where anyone can create their own group and run it by their own rules and tastes, I've witnessed forums absolutely kill certain properties. 10-15 years ago, the average CEO or Executive runs an internet search to get a pulse on the perception of their property, and discover one or two forums devoted to the property, and leaves with the impression that the loud vocal minority speaks for all fandom. They now have a wider palette of opinion to survey.

For example, someone browsing this forum would get the impression that Classics was the best selling toyline of all time (it wasn't), everyone collected it to completion or nearabout (most didn't) or that everyone wishes it would continue (most are indifferent.)

They would also think that WWEternia was a massive flop (it's white hot at the moment) or that the reaction to Origins is negative (far from it.) A simple glance at any of the social media groups devoted to MOTU would paint a much different picture than that reflected on the Org. I've come across a couple of bitter folks that are still crying because Origins isn't Classics, but I would estimate 95% of the reaction is positive or enthusiastic.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Quote Originally Posted by grenadaspice View Post
    What it's bringing, or hopes to bring, is a new generation of young 'uns clamoring for He-Man and the Masters of the Universe once the new CGI series hits Netflix, which I feel these Origin figures are related to. Hopefully with Kevin Smith's MOTU Revelation is released, we get new action figures for that series using the Classics buck.
    Ha, well if that is the case the I should say that it brings nothing new to MY table.

See that’s how I felt about Classics! My childhood toys recreated for the modern collector.
    I collected 200X when it came out and they were fun redesigns but they didn’t always hit that nostalgia spot, and the Classics perfectly scratched that itch for me. And they were such amazing figures that they surpassed the vintage line and became THE Masters figures for me. I never wanted the line to end.

And now we have these, which are almost identical to the vintage figures but not quite. The fact they’re so similar but slightly off gives them a sort of bootleg vibe. That’s not to speak on the quality, they look like robust well made figures, just the aesthetic.
    I will freely admit that I am bitter about this line because it is directly responsible for ending Classics (and other lines), but I secretly wanted to be pulled in. I thought a figure would be revealed that would look so cool I wouldn’t be able to resist buying it, and then they’d have me hooked back in. But so far, nope. As I said before, just hugely underwhelming.

Heroic Warrior
    Ngl, I feel that Classics isn't as responsible for this MOTU revival as people like to think. I know a lot of people, especially those my age and younger who were introduced to MOTU by the She-Ra reboot, which is one of the most popular shows on right now. I know a lot of people don't like it for a multitude of reasons, the majority of which I don't agree with or understand (the way some people act, you'd think Glimmer's an anarchist or something), it's undeniable that it's thrust MOTU back into the public eye, and captivated an all new audience. I mean, it's not the only reason MOTU's making a comeback (what DC's doing with the brand is another big thing), but it's played a big role in distancing the brand from the Filmation cartoon, which while some people have nostalgia for it, its reputation hurts the brand by making it seem really cheesy and juvenile.

Who do we enquire to to get Origins it’s own section, I thought I’d already seen someone bring it up and get told Origins stuff was staying where it was due to it being Mattel stuff but I can’t be certain.

This version of Trap-Jaw looks amazing to me! I actually love the face, I love that he's swinging in on a zipline, and I'm going to be blasphemous here -- I love the proportions of legs to torso, maybe even MORE than vintage. The legs from vintage Trap-Jaw always felt a little short to me for the torso size, but with this version, it feels like they nailed it. The colors pop, I LOVE the shoulders, and the accessories look fantastic too. Very well done!
    This could be the end of the world.. of warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by felgekarp View Post
    Who do we enquire to to get Origins it’s own section, I thought I’d already seen someone bring it up and get told Origins stuff was staying where it was due to it being Mattel stuff but I can’t be certain.
    The admin here have stated that they plan on reorganizing the site this year. I imagine that with Power Con on the horizon, an Origins forum is fairly low on the totem pole at the moment.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Woot!!

Trap-Jaw looks fantastic!

The more and more I see of these Origins figures, the giddier I get!

I am so excited for this line... whatever Mattel is doing, I hope that they keep on doing it.

Screenshot_2020-02-18 Masters Of The Universe on Instagram ďTrap Jaw arrives on the scene in Fal.png
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Heroic Warrior
    +1 gottA have this

Quote Originally Posted by joshuafm View Post
    Too thin? You mean like these legs? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...9a1370615b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You do notice the forced perspective of that photo right? If you would like to discuss your opinion versus mine that's fine but your reference material is unusable in this case. We may have to wait until the actual figure is released (or manefaces or any other figure that uses the legs to actually compare them to a vintage figure and also take into consideration both figures overall proportions if one's head, torso and arms are larger than the others.