Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MOTU Origins Trap Jaw

Court Magician

MOTU Origins Trap Jaw

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    You do notice the forced perspective of that photo right? If you would like to discuss your opinion versus mine that's fine but your reference material is unusable in this case. We may have to wait until the actual figure is released (or manefaces or any other figure that uses the legs to actually compare them to a vintage figure and also take into consideration both figures overall proportions if one's head, torso and arms are larger than the others.
    How about this one? The vintage figure has a huge torso and tiny legs, just like Man-E-Faces. The Origins figure stays true to this as it was meant to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    This isn't quite on topic, but I noticed that vintage Hurricane Hordak's hurricane arm (idk what to call it) is roughly the same length as the Origins arms, so I'm guessing that's a good representation of what a straightened vintage arm would look like.

Lots of good discussion on liking/disliking this line. Just do me a favor, if you're a no go on these, stick to it and leave them on the pegs as you brisk past.
    @thunder_punch_heman :Instagram
    @thunderpunchU : Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by joshuafm View Post
    How about this one? The vintage figure has a huge torso and tiny legs, just like Man-E-Faces. The Origins figure stays true to this as it was meant to. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...d1b58bebc0.jpg

If I had to guess, I think most people do know this- and probably also know what it is Mattel is going for here by replicating (most) every little nuance about a vintage figure. I also think most people were just hoping Mattel, it being the year 2020, would take some liberties here and there and slightly improve things like stubby Man-E/Trap-Jaw/Roboto legs, because they think it would be more aesthetically pleasing and just make for a better-looking product.

I'm in the camp that yes- I think some of the figures do look weird- but at this price point, and it being a fun lil' retail line that I probably am not "all in" for anyways, I don't actually mind it so much. I do have my Classics versions, after all. And I don't actually believe that Origins is the ONLY type of Masters action figure Mattel is going to produce from here on out.

And, finally, we all know this for certain: once you get any new figure in your own hands, it often times is quite an exciting experience and they don't (usually) look so bad once you start posing them around on a shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    If I had to guess, I think most people do know this- and probably also know what it is Mattel is going for here by replicating (most) every little nuance about a vintage figure. I also think most people were just hoping Mattel, it being the year 2020, would take some liberties here and there and slightly improve things like stubby Man-E/Trap-Jaw/Roboto legs, because they think it would be more aesthetically pleasing and just make for a better-looking product.

I'm in the camp that yes- I think some of the figures do look weird- but at this price point, and it being a fun lil' retail line that I probably am not "all in" for anyways, I don't actually mind it so much. I do have my Classics versions, after all. And I don't actually believe that Origins is the ONLY type of Masters action figure Mattel is going to produce from here on out.

And, finally, we all know this for certain: once you get any new figure in your own hands, it often times is quite an exciting experience and they don't (usually) look so bad once you start posing them around on a shelf.
    Very thought provoking post. I agree with just about everything you said.

At the risk of being shouted down, I think that a person has to admit that the proportions for many of the Vintage figures are just off. A lot of figures are top heavy with undersized legs. Since Origins are based on the Vintage figures, you notice the oddness much more because of the added articulation.

As I have often discussed with a good friend, I am very excited about this line. Is it a superior representation of MOTU? No. Do I prefer Classics? Yes. But the thing is, these will be 15 bucks, whereas Classics were pushing 40. Mattel is really getting behind these and they will be at retail. They should be relatively easy to buy and not super limited. That alone, is refreshing.

That said, it's totally OK for people to not like this line. As long as we have civil discussions, it's all good.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; February 19, 2020 at 03:39pm.
    Odd Man Out

I understand that Mattel wants to give these figures a new look, because we already have multiple versions of these characters on our toy shelves. I'm also super supportive of the line, and I'll be buying all of them. With that said, here are my thoughts about Origins Trap Jaw:

Iím relieved to see that theyíve added articulation to his robot arm. Nice blues and blacks. Heís sporting some neon greens, which Iím personally not a fan of as this is not a mini comic variant. The use of green paint on his forearm is much more pronounced compared with the vintage figure, and Iím okay with it, but I might paint it blue on mine. His weapon and body sculpts are pretty spot on!

Really wishing the boots were not flared at the ankles. The head sculpt seems to be just fine, but those black dead eyes and the lack of black eyebrows just kills the figureís design for me. I will absolutely be asking a customizing friend of mine to fix the face and green paint, as well as adding a darker gray paint to the stripe and top piece of his helmet.

Overall, the results are a mixed bag. Hereís hoping weíll get a variant somewhere down the road so we can enjoy that accurate vintage nostalgia. I asked Mattel about several Origins improvements during their Power-Con 2019 panel. You can watch it in the following video at the 20:00 mark and at 43:55: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob38lO3o3ls

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post

Overall, the results are a mixed bag. Here’s hoping we’ll get a variant somewhere down the road so we can enjoy that accurate vintage nostalgia. I asked Mattel about several Origins improvements during their Power-Con 2019 panel. You can watch it in the following video at the 20:00 mark and at 43:55: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob38lO3o3ls
    Personally, if I want the vintage figure, I've got him sitting on my shelf.

If I want a hyper detailed version, there's the Classics. If I want the Minicomic version, we've got that too. (The Power Con exclusive is personally my favorite incarnation.)

Super7 did the Filmation version.

I'm ok with the Origins version. It's more detailed than the original, it has nods to the Filmation and Minicomics versions, but overall it's exactly what I'm going to expect from this line moving forward. Fans can quibble about aesthetics and paint apps until the cows come home, but each figure displayed so far has been a home run imo.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    That's your choice, and it's OK. There will always be people who don't like one thing or another. Honestly, Mattel shouldn't be held captive to internet fandom.
    Remember the 1980's?
    There was no internet. Mattel made whatever they felt like, however they felt like, they put it in the stores, and we bought it and no one complained.
    I mean can you IMAGINE kids in the 80's complaining about sculpts and articulation and case ratios? LOL
    BOY do I miss those days. The internet has certainly sucked some of the joy and magic out of it all.
    You say kids wouldn't be complaining about sculpts in the 80s, but that's not true if you had the toys and certain characters were taller in toy form than they were in animated form. I thought it was weird to see Ram Man so short on the Filmation series, but he looked like a linebacker in toy form next to He-Man. And I'm sure there were Transformer fans going crazy when Optimus Prime was so much taller than certain characters on the cartoon but characters like Blaster in toy form was twice the size than Optimus.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    Man you guys suck me right back in.

That was 40 years ago. Kids donít want toys. They want electronics. We buy them toys, but they donít want them. The internet gave us the toy explosion we have had. Motu would be dead without social media and websites. Yes we bought what Mattel threw at us. Now we have a hand in things, with toy companies blessings. Look at the polls the companies run, the interaction. They release just the sculpts so we can ask for changes. And sometimes those changes happen.

Complaining online helped end Matty, it also gave us a castle that he-man does not have to crawl through. The bad comes with the good. The 80s were fun, but I live in 2020. I spend a lot on toys so you better believe I will have voice in what I like and donít. I canít imagine how little we would have with out these toy sites. Now I will disclose I have no social media. I donít care what you had for lunch or you your favorite politician is. I look at my wifeís account for those delightful 2 minute food recipe videos. Lord I love those. Anyway take the bad with the good. But as long as some fans think others are dancing on the grave of classics this forum is not the place for origins. After toy fair I see of no reason to see these here anymore. If they connected at all fine. But the figures will not fit in.

I hope origins succeeds. But I have no interest in it. I want to come to a classics forum.

- - - Updated - - -

If I post classics news in a different forum, I would expect those in that forum to reply. Iím hoping some criticism will prompt some changes in the figures. The trap jaw I saw at power on was quite good looking. This one lost me. My hope is the line does well and maybe some vehicles or playsets could work with classics. Iím hopeful classics comes back by way of super7 and yes it can happen...look at thundercats. Iím just saying Iím your average motu cheerleader. If your losing me, well.
    I whole heartedly agree with you. Look, I'm a long time He-Man and enjoy some of the new incarnations we have gotten out of different He-Man lines in the last 12 years. I have collected Classics as the ultimate fan service to He-Man fans everywhere. Let's face it... We're not gonna get Filmation characters in Origins. We're not gonna get New Adventures characters in Origins. We're not gonna get She-Ra / POP characters in Origins. We're not gonna get 200X / MYP characters in Origins. Heck, we don't even know if we can get Horde characters in their line. Are the Snakemen or original characters possible in this line? Are character gonna come with more accessories like they did in Classics. Is Mer Man only gonna come with his "corn-on-the-cob" sword like his vintage figure or is he coming with his 200X trident? Is MAA only coming with his puny mace or will he come with additional Grayskull weapons like his Classics figure or his 200X arm cannon? Also, no one ever complained about the look of the head sculpts for the Classics figures for the most point because all.the head sculpts were pretty much "on point" or improved. The only complaints I recall was for Jitsu and to a lesser degree, the original He-Man head sculpt, buy to be fair, Mattel has changed He-Man's head sculpt for every single line, so I have no issues actually with He-Man's head sculpt on his Origins figure.

Heroic Warrior
    I mean, we're getting an Origins She-Ra as a Powercon exclusive, so there's a chance that we'll get more PoP stuff once the reboot wraps up. If the leak ends up being true, that's most likely the 2020/2021 lineup, so we might see Horde and PoP characters as soon as 2022 (it's so weird knowing that 2022 is less than two years away). Honestly, I think I can wait that long for Horde members. I'm willing to bet we'll also get some figures for the new movie and maybe even one of the new cartoons. So we might see He-Ro with some snakemen for Revelations or something like that.

I'm sad that this line holds little appeal to me. I really want a MOTU retail line to collect but these toys do nothing for me.

Heroic Warrior
    There's always the minis

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    I'm sad that this line holds little appeal to me. I really want a MOTU retail line to collect but these toys do nothing for me.
    Give them a chance. Once the figures hit retail, spend $15 on just one and see what you think. I didn't expect to be as blown away as I was by the He-Man & Prince Adam two-pack.
    That He-Man is now my favorite version...in hand, it's incredible.

If you open it carefully, worst case scenario you could easily return it for a refund.
    SKELETORTILLA...It's taco night at Snake Mountain!

I had a thought, Kevin Smith had said that revelations is to be a filmation style, and that mattel had the figures in the works.

Wait for it,

could origins be the revolutions figures? And mattel just aren't telling us yet.

These figures seem to miss the mark over and over, we'll that's what I think and so do many fans. Could they be the updated version for revelations?
    And they are a good likeness for the new show.

Unlikely but maybe?

Now discuss.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by joshuafm View Post
    Too thin? You mean like these legs? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...9a1370615b.jpg

To be fair, the legs on the vintage figure are thicker than the legs on the Origins figure. But the vintage figures have that bended knee squat pose, so the upper bodies look bigger than the legs on the vintage figures

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    There's always the minis
    That is the saving grace for me.

Quote Originally Posted by grenadaspice View Post

Hmm, if the problem with Origins is that the legs are too short, minis don't seem like a good answer to that!

Court Magician
    To be fair, the legs on the vintage figure are thicker than the legs on the Origins figure. But the vintage figures have that bended knee squat pose, so the upper bodies look bigger than the legs on the vintage figures

- - - Updated - - -

I donít mean to sound snide, but if you extended the vintage figureís legs to the absolute max, they would still look tiny compared to the upper body. They are simply tiny legs and out of proportion. Of course, that doesnít mean you have to like it, but to criticize the origins figure for having the similar proportions as the vintage figure makes no sense.

Heroic Warrior
    I think the real problem with this line is I want them all - probably 2 of each

I still have some of my original figures from when I was a kid but I really started collecting MOTU again when I first bought the SDCC 200x statue and toys and then classics.

I never went back to vintage so these really hit the spot for me and the price is awesome.

I really thought the price wouldn't stick a year out from the announcement since usually they get priced higher when actually released.
    After seeing the WWEOTU figures in store at $15, I believe the price will actually still be $15 when finally released - I'm very optimistic.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    Personally, if I want the vintage figure, I've got him sitting on my shelf.

If I want a hyper detailed version, there's the Classics. If I want the Minicomic version, we've got that too. (The Power Con exclusive is personally my favorite incarnation.)

Super7 did the Filmation version.

I'm ok with the Origins version. It's more detailed than the original, it has nods to the Filmation and Minicomics versions, but overall it's exactly what I'm going to expect from this line moving forward. Fans can quibble about aesthetics and paint apps until the cows come home, but each figure displayed so far has been a home run imo.
    You forgot to mention the 200X figure

You forgot to mention the 200X figure
    I wasn't a huge fan of the 2002 Trap Jaw, but I know he has his following.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Quote Originally Posted by He Man View Post
    Lots of good discussion on liking/disliking this line. Just do me a favor, if you're a no go on these, stick to it and leave them on the pegs as you brisk past.
    That isn't going to happen... the same people bashing the line now will still purchase these at retail "begrudgingly" as "gifts for my nephew"

#closetoriginsfans
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    That isn't going to happen... the same people bashing the line now will still purchase these at retail "begrudgingly" as "gifts for my nephew"

#closetoriginsfans
    Or they were buying something else online and bought x amount of Origins figures to save on postage. Whicj basically means to resell/scalp.