Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goodbye Windows 7, Hello Windows 10

Yep, an external hard drive is it's own thing. You don't need to make any internal modifications, just plug and play.

Moving files over to an external hard drive to clear up space is a a good idea, although it's usually a good idea to back things up in two places. So maybe break out some data discs for very important files.

As far as deleting stuff goes, yes, it's a good idea to know what something is before deleting it. Usually Googling it will solve the mystery.

I'm still using Windows 7 and have never felt a need to switch except now that iTunes is no longer compatible with Windows 7. I have a bunch of iTunes credit that I now cannot spend until I upgrade. Seems silly to spend $$$ to upgrade just so I can spend my iTunes credit. Not sure what to do.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    I'm still using Windows 7 and have never felt a need to switch except now that iTunes is no longer compatible with Windows 7. I have a bunch of iTunes credit that I now cannot spend until I upgrade. Seems silly to spend $$$ to upgrade just so I can spend my iTunes credit. Not sure what to do.
    You wouldn't be upgrading just to spend your money. Back in January, Microsoft stopped support for Windows 7. That means no more updates, but more importantly, no more security patches. Running Windows 7 is now very dangerous if you go online.

Not to mention that if you know how, the upgrade, straight from Microsoft (so it's safe), is still free. Here's a link with a short video on how to do it.

https://twit.tv/shows/ask-the-tech-g...utostart=false

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    Microsoft was literally giving away Windows 10 as a free upgrade from 7 for years, you may have missed the boat, that was the time to do it, however, I was recently able to find a link to upgrade a Windows 7 computer to Windows 10, I think this was it:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...lvskzuiechcp00

Got it from this article in case it doesn't work: https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-...ws-10-upgrade/

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfHeMan View Post
    Yep, an external hard drive is it's own thing. You don't need to make any internal modifications, just plug and play.

Moving files over to an external hard drive to clear up space is a a good idea, although it's usually a good idea to back things up in two places. So maybe break out some data discs for very important files.
    I finally got one this weekend at Best Buy, 2TB on sale for about 65 bucks. According to the Geek Squad guy, even with my thousands of photos and songs and lots of videos, it should still be plenty. Good to know! (I never heard of a "terabyte"!). I believe (hopefully) he's right, seeing in Google how as 2TB is 2 trillion bytes.

I got a "My Passport" 2TB, and installed it yesterday (including driver utilities, security, and backup). Tonight I'll start "moving some things over" to it and freeing up space on my PC by deleting them all from the tower once they're safely moved over.

As far as deleting stuff goes, yes, it's a good idea to know what something is before deleting it. Usually Googling it will solve the mystery.
    Oh, of course. Good point! There's some things that have always been on my Desktop and stuff in my Programs list I have never ever touched in over 10 years. And I'm like, "Do I really need that?"

Microsoft was literally giving away Windows 10 as a free upgrade from 7 for years, you may have missed the boat, that was the time to do it, however, I was recently able to find a link to upgrade a Windows 7 computer to Windows 10, I think this was it:

Got it from this article in case it doesn't work: https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-...ws-10-upgrade/
    Yeah, I had no idea there was a "window" (no pun intended) on when to upgrade 7 to 10 for free (heck, I didn't even know you could just "upgrade". I thought I might have to buy a new computer compatible with 10!) But I was able to it free last week too. Phew!
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    You wouldn't be upgrading just to spend your money. Back in January, Microsoft stopped support for Windows 7. That means no more updates, but more importantly, no more security patches. Running Windows 7 is now very dangerous if you go online.

Not to mention that if you know how, the upgrade, straight from Microsoft (so it's safe), is still free. Here's a link with a short video on how to do it.

Hold on. It's not "dangerous", my fellow He-Fan. You just have to be careful with what you do online.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    I finally got one this weekend at Best Buy, 2TB on sale for about 65 bucks. According to the Geek Squad guy, even with my thousands of photos and songs and lots of videos, it should still be plenty. Good to know! (I never heard of a "terabyte"!). I believe (hopefully) he's right, seeing in Google how as 2TB is 2 trillion bytes.

I got a "My Passport" 2TB, and installed it yesterday (including driver utilities, security, and backup). Tonight I'll start "moving some things over" to it and freeing up space on my PC by deleting them all from the tower once they're safely moved over.
    Congrats man..

Here's my thoughts on External Hard Drive, it's great that you can have choices either on External or Internal. but for cost saving with like 7200 Rev per minutes for 2TB internal, it's great to have faster access on internal. But if I do choose on External I might pick up with USB 3 type C with better power delivery and transfer speed. Problem with EHD IMO is just fragile if anything happened on physical damage. But I've been replaced my EHD for cloud services that give me 1TB for 29.99 per Year.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

...the upgrade, straight from Microsoft (so it's safe), is still free.
    Microsoft was literally giving away Windows 10 as a free upgrade from 7 for years, you may have missed the boat, that was the time to do it, however, I was recently able to find a link to upgrade a Windows 7 computer to Windows 10
    Thank you to both of you for pointing this out to me! I was successfully able to upgrade to Windows 10 on Monday for free with no issues at all. I didn't even know this was an option. Again, thank you for informing me!!!
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

A few things:

PC
    ----
    Okay, so I got my "My Passport" external hard drive all working, and I transferred ALL FILES to it: documents, photos, music, videos, programs, basically anything and everything. And my PC had been about 3/4s or 4/5s full, and after transferring my over-100,000 files, my PC is down to only about 20-25% full.

But it's hardly made a dent in the speed. I can't believe this. I thought FOR SURE wiping all of my files off it by transferring, and then moving the originals all to the recycling bin and emptying the whole thing, would make things run much faster and smoother by freeing up all that space.

So I guess now I'll pretty much just have to wipe the whole thing clean and start "fresh" from factory settings and re-install Windows 10.

Flash Drive
    ---------------
    The Geek Squad guy who recommended the external drive and the flash drive told me to look up "Windows media creation tool" on YouTube and to "put that on the flash drive" and use that to install Windows after a factory reset, because he said otherwise the PC will just re-upload the old copy of Windows.

Now, I have never had a flash drive before. So, whatever you guys think of that.

What happens, if I reset to factory settings, just plug in the drive when I turn the PC on, and it'll automatically start to install 10?

I don't know if others use Skype, but since Windows 10 did its latest updates on my PC, Skype is constantly crashing. It doesn't show any reports, but it it just disappears while I have it up and running. This is very annoying, as I like to keep it going a lot.
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

A few things:

PC
    ----
    Okay, so I got my "My Passport" external hard drive all working, and I transferred ALL FILES to it: documents, photos, music, videos, programs, basically anything and everything. And my PC had been about 3/4s or 4/5s full, and after transferring my over-100,000 files, my PC is down to only about 20-25% full.

But it's hardly made a dent in the speed. I can't believe this. I thought FOR SURE wiping all of my files off it by transferring, and then moving the originals all to the recycling bin and emptying the whole thing, would make things run much faster and smoother by freeing up all that space.

So I guess now I'll pretty much just have to wipe the whole thing clean and start "fresh" from factory settings and re-install Windows 10.

Flash Drive
    ---------------
    The Geek Squad guy who recommended the external drive and the flash drive told me to look up "Windows media creation tool" on YouTube and to "put that on the flash drive" and use that to install Windows after a factory reset, because he said otherwise the PC will just re-upload the old copy of Windows.

Now, I have never had a flash drive before. So, whatever you guys think of that.

What happens, if I reset to factory settings, just plug in the drive when I turn the PC on, and it'll automatically start to install 10?

I don't know if others use Skype, but since Windows 10 did its latest updates on my PC, Skype is constantly crashing. It doesn't show any reports, but it it just disappears while I have it up and running. This is very annoying, as I like to keep it going a lot.
    This should help you out deciding which way is the easiest to do a factory reset.

Thanks, but I'm also hoping someone will have feedback on the Geek Squad's flash drive "Windows media creation tool" recommendation.
    Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; March 2, 2020 at 02:42pm.

Thanks, but I'm also hoping someone will have feedback on the Geek Squad's flash drive "Windows media creation tool" recommendation.
    With the info at the link above, you shouldn't need the Media Creation Tool. For info on the Media Creation Tool, check out the links below.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/clon...tion-tool.html

https://techguylabs.com/episodes/167...ate-windows-10

Just make sure to download the software from Microsoft's website, and only Microsoft's website.

With the info at the link above, you shouldn't need the Media Creation Tool. For info on the Media Creation Tool, check out the links below.
    But that's what he was saying though, that if I reset from factory settings, it'll just put the "old" Windows on there. But if I do the WMCT, it'll put a fresh copy of Windows 10 on:

"If your PC won't start at all, you can use installation media to do a clean install of Windows 10. Go to the Microsoft software download website, download the media creation tool, then use it to create installation media on a DVD or USB drive. "

(that's from the site you kindly linked me to)

I'm a firm believer in doing a clean reformat and starting over from scratch, after backing up settings and apps.
    Then, after the reformat, re-installing the most current apps, along with current drivers for all your hardware, and putting in the settings,
    along with copying over all your personal files (documents, images, music, videos, project files, fonts, etc).

A new Operating System is the perfect time for a fresh, clean system!
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I'm a firm believer in doing a clean reformat and starting over from scratch, after backing up settings and apps.
    Then, after the reformat, re-installing the most current apps, along with current drivers for all your hardware, and putting in the settings,
    along with copying over all your personal files (documents, images, music, videos, project files, fonts, etc).

Thanks Val!

Like I said, I transferred ALL my stuff already to my external hard drive (and there's SOOOOOOOOOOOO much room still left on the 2T drive---I love it! And it's wallet-sized!) So I'm ready to start over from factory scratch.

I don't think I'll move stuff from my external drive back to the PC though---this saves so much room! (not that it's made a difference in my Windows 10 speed, but anyway).

The only thing you have me lost on is "current drivers for all your hardware". Not sure how to go about that.

The only thing you have me lost on is "current drivers for all your hardware". Not sure how to go about that.
    You're using a desktop computer right? You can look at your manufacturer's box and just type " [motherboard brand/series] drivers " and other related driver like sound card or your graphic cards driver on google.

But usually with Windows 10 you can get some of the drivers working like Bluetooth, wireless and such. for a few other cases like Graphic Cards or Sound cards? You need to find the driver, usually the website will let them scan your hardware serial to get to appropriate drivers.
    Last edited by Fendi; March 3, 2020 at 05:34am.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Like I said, I transferred ALL my stuff already to my external hard drive (and there's SOOOOOOOOOOOO much room still left on the 2T drive---I love it! And it's wallet-sized!) So I'm ready to start over from factory scratch.

I don't think I'll move stuff from my external drive back to the PC though---this saves so much room!
    I'll add to be careful with doing this. If you only have one copy of your data (on the external), then you are at risk of losing it all. A copy on the external, and a copy on the internal is better, but the best is to have both of those and another offsite or in the cloud.

That external drive could fail and you'd lose everything. The cloud (or offsite) is in case the worst happens on your home burns down or a tornado hits. You'll still have one copy of your information if you have one in the cloud.

It's called the 3-2-1 backup strategy, and most professionals recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    You're using a desktop computer right? You can look at your manufacturer's box and just type " [motherboard brand/series] drivers " and other related driver like sound card or your graphic cards driver on google.
    Yes, a PC. I don't know what all drivers I'd need to find/get/update. You've mentioned motherboard, sound card, and graphic card so far.

usually the website will let them scan your hardware serial to get to appropriate drivers.
    What website?

I'll add to be careful with doing this. If you only have one copy of your data (on the external), then you are at risk of losing it all. A copy on the external, and a copy on the internal is better, but the best is to have both of those and another offsite or in the cloud.

That external drive could fail and you'd lose everything. The cloud (or offsite) is in case the worst happens on your home burns down or a tornado hits. You'll still have one copy of your information if you have one in the cloud.

It's called the 3-2-1 backup strategy, and most professionals recommend it.
    Oh dorrmann, why must you make more work for me?? But really though, I do appreciate the advice. I just hate to put everything back on there now that I've got it off, since it's over 100,000 files (I think) that took up at least 3/4ths of my PC.

But I still can't believe wiping all that off didn't help the performance!

What website?
    Your hardware manufacturer website, Don't worry, all you only need is the drivers for your motherboard.

here's a way to check what type of motherboard do you have, just need to write it on google and add "driver" behind it.

https://www.techspot.com/guides/1330...erboard-model/

- - - Updated - - -

But I still can't believe wiping all that off didn't help the performance!
    don't really think that moving the backup to external will help any performance, You need to upgrade your OS hard drive to SSD so you can see performance differences, or maybe lack of memory RAM? if it still persist you probably used all of your RAM, if both of this options are no good, you probably having bottleneck on your CPU but I doubt that will happen.

Your hardware manufacturer website, Don't worry, all you only need is the drivers for your motherboard.

here's a way to check what type of motherboard do you have, just need to write it on google and add "driver" behind it.

https://www.techspot.com/guides/1330...erboard-model/
    Okay, thanks.

You need to upgrade your OS hard drive to SSD so you can see performance differences, or maybe lack of memory RAM?
    No, I'm not going to try anything invasive like take apart the PC and install an SSD. As for RAM, I just assume once I reset the PC back to factory settings, that will all be emptied and reset as well.

No, I'm not going to try anything invasive like take apart the PC and install an SSD. As for RAM, I just assume once I reset the PC back to factory settings, that will all be emptied and reset as well.
    To be honest? If I was living near you and needed to install the SSD? I would help it for free, right now the SSD's price drops per GB on how Hard Disk Drive dropped per GB or TB nowadays so you can get like 30-40 dollars on a good quality SSD for 256GB. I'd recommend that while you're thinking of formatting your PC's? Better install it on SSD instead of doing it twice.

Hopefully the tech guy at your area isn't greedy for labor charges as IMO of my gaming desktop?: 15 minutes setup w/ Sata cable + Power from Power Supply and Screwing in place.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post

I finally got my system restored last night without that pesky "Choose Your Keyboard Layout" option that makes the process stuck for some people. I just ended up doing the start-up F11 "factory reset" option, like it's a brand new machine.

So far so good! Much faster performance, and I hope that keeps up!

I'll look into searching online for driver updates this weekend.

I finally got my system restored last night without that pesky "Choose Your Keyboard Layout" option that makes the process stuck for some people. I just ended up doing the start-up F11 "factory reset" option, like it's a brand new machine.

So far so good! Much faster performance, and I hope that keeps up!

I'll look into searching online for driver updates this weekend.
    Have fun hunting down for drivers.

I just went to "Device Manager" and right-clicked and chose "Update Driver", and only 1 wasn't updated. And of course I've got the Windows Updates going too.

Sometimes a little lagging and pages "(Not Responding)", which I don't like (wonder if that means just get a new PC down the line), but it is better than it was.

Any computer experts have tips to offer to make a newly-upgraded OS to Windows 10 work faster, smoother, better?
    Go back to Windows 7
    New Computer
    Linux

I really don't know if changing settings or adding memory would help.

I remember in Windows 2000 turning off the fancy clear title bars helps.
    Maybe there's programs running in the background? Winamp (mp3 player) used to keep running that way on 95.